Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Seltzer posted:

Did you change the in game pausing mechanism?

It's seriously the one thing deciding if I buy the game or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Gonna wait til a black friday/holiday sale on this. The changes look nice but I still haven't found out if they fixed the pausing issue in game and I don't play myteam seriously enough to care about early bonuses.

what does

quote:

six new Gem-Levels
mean. Was already thorough enough with the five they had imo

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Did they change the online pausing mechanism

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

the_american_dream posted:

NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THIS IS

You've posted this like 4 times and no one has answered can you explain what you're talking about and I'll try and find out my pal

Mandrel posted:

I'm pretty sure he means that you can pause in online, leading to people dragging rear end and generally being obnoxious

Yea people can and do pause 1,000 times a game. After every dunk steal etc. and it's really annoying and stupid that the game allows for it to happen at all. You can only pause 3 times in one game in fifa for instance. So... is it still in the game?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm not one for career modes in general but did anyone like the Spike Lee Joint?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

How does this game compare to last years? Specifically mypark and myteam. It will be 30 dollars on black friday so I'm debating picking it up. I heard people were complaining about some gameplay issues but patches smoothed things out? Also can people still to the non stop pause thing?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Just got the game on sale. They took away my two favorite parts of myteam, player quality restrictions when climbing the ladder and dynamic cards ... great. Now I have to grind out a bunch of dominations to even be able to start in the bronze league. Also whoever designed the player cards this year should be fired. Anyone got any budget recs for a cheap starting 5 I have some silver scrubs and emerald Bogut.

e- Any big gameplay changes from last year I should know? Stealing is now possible I guess?

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 26, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Kemba walker is usually cheap and is drat good on myteam same with Bazemore. Despite his avg stats randy Wittman is cheap and a boarding machine

Thanks.

Is there any reasoning for making actual players really lovely and old players really good + removing dynamic cards? I can only assume 2k devs decided dynamics were too much work or that they could make more money selling packs if dynamics didn't exist because it was an awesome feature. Also any reason for removing the squad restrictions and adding 1,000 new colors? Squad restrictions in RTTP made things more fun and interesting building squads around certain players and utilizing all types of cards. Now Bronzes and Silvers have no use.

e- Who is the 2k16 John Wall standard card this year? I want to Jam on people with speed and be able to hit a midrange shot.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

Squad restrictions were replaced with better matchmaking to try to get you matched against an equal opponent

Does that only account for squad strength though or is it wins/losses because 2k is kind of stingy with coins this year and my squad is rear end. Not looking forward to getting crapped on in the first divisions.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Oh I forgot Pau Gasol is good and cheap too. I leaned on him heavy most of the first part of Domination

Also ymmv because his rating is garbage (as it should be) but for some reason I kill it with Lance Stephenson every year. He can drive past most defenders his size and if you have him against a smaller defender he can post them easily. Only thing he seems to not be able to do is shoot 3's.

I'm going to try and recreate my squad last year which was pure board domination and then a PG and SG who can break. Wall and DPOY Mutombo were the lynchpins of the squad. Is there anyone cheapish like 87 Wall from last year? 80 Wall this year gets bullied off dunks and can't shoot worth a poo poo. Also is there any good way to earn coins? Last year they gave you generous rewards for low collector levels, this year they took that away.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I got Sapphire Lillard as the closest replacement to 2k16 Wall. He was pretty cheap but still not as good as that card. I have disappointment Wall on the bench. Got the Bigman 83 Bol as my center because you better be sure I'm gonna cheese until I can afford a good squad (I want that 89 Mutumbo real bad, his DPOY card was my favorite last year). Any budget SG or SF recommendations? The Handles Iguodala looks awesome but he's too costly.

I think I asked this before but is there any easy way to bank coins besides grinding out games? I play fifa and it seems a lot easier to get top players in that game. Also I already ranted about 2k taking away dynamics but having all the current players cards start so low is really lame imo. You have to wait til like halfway through the year to buy a card of the player that actually represents them and even then it's overpriced. Players have way less badges and traits this year too which is a bummer.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Wow a moments challenge for 7k MT and I just have to win and score 8 points with KAT?? Thanks for the free mo- oh youve made the Knicks God-tier

There was a locker code loan- KAT so that was nice it was literally a free 7k. I did the challenge the first time. Maybe I got lucky? Noah is slow as poo poo so he was easy to beat. How long do the moments challenges last. The Giannis one looks like a pain in the rear end and I'd have to spend 7k on him to even do it.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Anyone tried the moments wall challenge. Seems like a major pain in the rear end. Also the new Drummond card looks absolutely ridiculous. My ultimate goal is to get the best Mutombo card and Isaiah Thomas card and then build a team around that. Isaiah will be cheap soon enough but when will the Mutombo Ruby card drop? He's historic and the historic packs alternate or something?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

2k has the biggest amount of quitters I've seen in a sports game. Down 10 in the 2nd? gently caress it just leave no way you can come back, especially against a detailed gameplan of "run and dunk"

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

WMain00 posted:

Guys is there a beginners guide or complete dummies guide anywhere to basketball, so I can understand and play this game?

I really enjoy NBA, but being from the UK I haven't a clue what I'm doing or what's going on. :(

Since you watch basketball I assume you know the basics right? I was gonna suggest just looking up a beginners guide to basketball on youtube if you didn't watch. I'm sure there are a lot of simple 2k starter guides on youtube that could help you out. The game has some complexity but you don't need to know that much to pick up and play. THe biggest thing that you need to do though is instantly set your camera to the 2k camera. The standard camera is trash.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Myteam needs better ways to get coins other than gimmicky challenges. I need to buy Jimmy Butler for an inflated price and then score 52 points with him? That's some bull poo poo. I get that there has to be a challenge but that's a boring grind. Fifa rewards you for actually playing the game online pretty generously. The only "good" rewards in myteam are boring CPU challenges like domination and moment/weekly challenges. My Team Online pays out nothing. Woo, I got a pack full of contracts for winning the Gold league with one loss on my record... I don't get why so much of my team online seems offline centric. Online should be the focus but myteam online gives you next to nothing for playing MTO and the servers are trash. Fifa ultimate team has made multiplayer the main attraction and it works. The servers aren't great but they are miles better than 2ks. The weekend league in Fifa (another good feature they've introduced this years) pays out something like the equivalent of a my team box and 15k coins each week if you're decent (and a whole lot more if you're good). I wish that 2k could handle the gameplay for both games, fifa could handle everything else in game, and a 3rd party could handle servers + customer support.

My last gripe/question is what actually factors into dunking/successful dunking? I have moments Rose and he throws down a bunch of dunks with 35 driving dunk and 30 contact dunk. How does that make sense? There's apparently no way to tell if a player can dunk when looking at their stats. It's not like he misses a lot with that low stat either, he throws it down like it was an 80 stat.

Also when does MTO get hard. I've gotten into Emerald right now and it's a cakewalk and I suck at this game.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 5, 2017

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Play blacktop, I think that's the mode everyone plays. MyTeam is extremely online oriented, there's barely anything to the single player aspect

I want to get coins from playing my team online, the actual basketball mode, not the boring slot machine 3 v 3 gimmick mode with no fouls. When I said offline oriented I meant that that is the direction you have to go to get any good rewards/coins without spending money on packs.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

AggressivelyStupid posted:

You can end up getting good cards from blacktop, which you then sell.

E: play through domination and historic domination but be ready to rage

I just said how I disliked Blacktop and playing vs the CPU.Plus you have to win 30 games to even get to historic domination. That's ridiculous.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

So Amethyst Yao Ming is going to be about 20k in myteam. Guess I'm done for the year.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I got Yao Ming.... He dropped to like 10k. Naturally I put a ton of badges on him and run him with moments Porzingis. I just won the Sapphire league and got a +9 acceleration +9 speed with ball +9 steal diamond shoe. I guess I'm gonna get that ridiculous Amethyst Harden card and turn him into a Pink Diamond. 2k Should think about lowering the requirements for getting shoes, winning every game is stressful. Also they should think about not releasing Yao Ming cards in the future. The card is so overpowered it's hilarious.

e- Or just maybe don't release 100,000 of him onto the market by giving him a super high pull rate + guaranteed in boxes. If he cost like 50k it would be less of a problem.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 31, 2017

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Lockback posted:

Man, where do you get the currency for this? Do you buy it? I struggle getting nearly that much.

I'll never pay a penny on games like this past the sticker price on pure principle. My team isn't amazing or anything but everything is super cheap right now. You can get Rubies from the wingmen collection for 3k and Yao for like 10. Along with other cheap cards and reward cards it's next to nothing. The only thing I actually really get coins from are moments challenges. The Chinese new year ones paid out like 15k total. There's usually like 10k worth a week. It took me awhile to figure out who/what to buy since it's my 2nd year playing this, and I don't play much, but basically only buy cards that are out in current collections (they go dirttt cheap) or the moments card of a player that has a higher one after it's been out awhile. So, the wingmen collection is out now and that's cheap, and a card like Ruby westbrook is also cheap since he has an Amethyst now. Historic high rated cards and high rated cards from old collections go for a lot and should be avoided. That's pretty much it.

That being said 2k needs to change how they give players coins. They're incredibly stingy and don't really reward you for actually playing other humans online unless you play blacktop mode which (imo) absolutely sucks.

e- Just looked and the "all around" collection is out now which will drop heavily while it's out. Again there are rubies in there like Chris Webber that have 20 gold badges on them out of the gate and will cost nothing.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Lockback posted:

I see the high-value moments challenges but typically the player costs as much as you get. Smart play buying up guys on current packs though. The cost of packs seem way out of line with what you get, but I guess that's other people's problems.

The challenge is usually up for two days, sometimes longer. So you can buy the player the first day, complete the challenge and then sell him right back for the same price. The chinese new year challenges mostly had no requirements. The only one I remember was one required two rockets players on the team so I just got two bronze players for 300 coins and kept them benched.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Seriously, who's brilliant idea was it to release a million Yao Ming's into the wild. If 2k can't properly balance centers/height in general they just flat out shouldn't release 7'4 + centers into the game, or at the very least make them extremely expensive. Only release anyone above 7'3 if they're an actual league player, problem solved, sort of. If you ever wanted to know what Yao Ming guarding Yao Ming would look like, hop on MTO.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I want to try proam mypark etc. and I'm really annoyed that they've basically made mycareer necessary to play those modes. Also I just saw this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WsGrHzReo4

start at 27 seconds.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The game is a mess and the 30 dollars I paid was a ripoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Alright so basically I just want to say this game is a massive piece of poo poo and I haven't touched it since a little over a month or so since I bought it (on sale and I still feel ripped off). It has completely absolutely unacceptable flaws that shouldn't be tolerated in 2017 (or really ever). 2k is not getting any money from me in the forseeable future. The game left such a bad taste in my mouth I hope EA NBA or whatever it's called is really really good and smashes this franchise. I used to think EA was a bad company after my Fifa experiences but now I consider them ok after dealing with 2k.

For starters. I start the game. Hey it's Paul George, I wonder how long I am going to have to stare at Paul George, 3 minutes ? 5 minutes? 15 minutes? Until I shut off the xbox? "Clear your cache". I did and it's still an issue. It's honestly a joke and I probably deserve a refund off of this "feature" alone. OK I'm in game, time to fire up a myteam game. Oh what's that in the middle of the game I have a big loving banner telling me to back out to the main menu to update something (why is this a thing at all) but I've started a game so I have to stare at this poo poo the entire game.... well maybe not because 2k servers make EA servers look phenomenal and the game will probably disconnect. I'm lucky to finish a single game without serious bullshit caused by the servers. The odds of having a smooth game without a disconnect or crippling lag is 1/5 if I'm being generous. Yes I live in a populated area and have high speed internet and have zero hiccups in other online games. So I can't start the game, then when I do I'm lucky if I can play the only game mode I care about. Great. It gets even better though. Want to buy players for myteam? Nah you're not doing that unless you grind the gently caress out of boring single player challenges, a boring crap shoot 3 v 3 mode or you pay money (not happening ever). Has 2k never heard the of the novel concept of rewarding players for playing the main game mode instead of forcing them into doing trash they don't want to? From the poo poo I read online they absolutely grift people who pay for myteam content and the pack advertisements are outright embarassing.

Ok, why did I write this? Well at least one employee (who is pretty helpful and should be running PR instead of the jokes they have at the moment) reads this thread. Also I honestly want to understand how people who primarily play myteam online can even stand this game or rationalize buying next years game.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 22, 2017

• Locked thread