Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I want to see an haes advocate put on her socks while standing up, show me dat healthy balance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sialia
Feb 12, 2016

unpacked robinhood posted:

I want to see an haes advocate put on her socks while standing up, show me dat healthy balance

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
The last time I exercised, I was unemployed and taking advantage of it by at least trying to get healthy. I was lifting weights following some popular weightlifting plan about 3-4 times a week and was doing cardio 6 times a week. I'm 6 foot tall and was like 300lbs and that was after like 9 months of working out. I did my cardio on elliptical machines because I was afraid I was too fat that running on a treadmill would destroy my knees/ankles.

This is no exaggeration, I was doing 50-60 miles of cardio a week on the elliptical machines, usually 2 hours a day and I was working out twice a day for lifting and cardio on some days. (I was taking days off from lifting to rest.) The month before I quit working out I lost like 2lbs and was getting frustrated so I switched things up, doing the burst thing with cardio where you go as fast as you can at intervals... forget what it's called. I lost zero pounds for the entire month. I was asking about "starvation mode" in the goon thread and most said it doesn't actually exist.

I basically made exercising my job for almost an entire year.

This is usually the part where people tell me my diet must be poo poo. I was keeping myself to like 1400 calories I think? I was measuring everything and actually keeping track, eating mostly grilled chicken with brown rice. I was drinking water primarily.

TLDR: If genetics, a persons metabolism and/or some other uncontrollable factor like gut bacteria or one's own body perception negatively influencing the brain aren't the primary issues for obesity in some portion of the population then I would be really surprised.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 5, 2016

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

and you noticed no significant visible change in your body in the months with no results? just measuring body weight is bad for tracking body fat as you gain muscle weight when you exercise as id assume you know. the idea that you could lift weights 3-4 times a week for a month with no visible results would suggest to me that something has gone terribly wrong in your body and you should seek professional help

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

katkillad2 posted:

The last time I exercised, I was unemployed and taking advantage of it by at least trying to get healthy. I was lifting weights following some popular weightlifting plan about 3-4 times a week and was doing cardio 6 times a week. I'm 6 foot tall and was like 300lbs and that was after like 9 months of working out. I did my cardio on elliptical machines because I was afraid I was too fat that running on a treadmill would destroy my knees/ankles.

This is no exaggeration, I was doing 50-60 miles of cardio a week on the elliptical machines, usually 2 hours a day and I was working out twice a day for lifting and cardio on some days. (I was taking days off from lifting to rest.) The month before I quit working out I lost like 2lbs and was getting frustrated so I switched things up, doing the burst thing with cardio where you go as fast as you can at intervals... forget what it's called. I lost zero pounds for the entire month. I was asking about "starvation mode" in the goon thread and most said it doesn't actually exist.

This is usually the part where people tell me my diet must be poo poo. I was keeping myself to like 1400 calories I think? I was measuring everything and actually keeping track, eating mostly grilled chicken with brown rice. I was drinking water primarily.

TLDR: If genetics, a persons metabolism and/or some other uncontrollable factor like gut bacteria or one's own body perception negatively influencing the brain aren't the primary issues for obesity in some portion of the population then I would be really surprised.

Either you were weighing yourself badly or you were tracking your calories badly. It is against the laws of physics to do all that exercise, eat only 1400 calories and not lose weight. You're either wrong about the exercise you did, or wrong about the calorie restriction, or wrong when you weighed in (scales being on carpet or on a slight incline can make them act weird).

You have to understand that there is no gene or gut fauna that can create energy out of nothing and so your body has to go after its fuel reserves if you dont eat enough. It has to, or you will have died. You would have been unable to create energy for your cells and your brain would have stopped working. If we only had the ability to survive off of the energy in what we eat, most of us would die during the night as our bodily store of glycogen is depleted. Thats why we evolved to switch metabolic pathways, so that we can go long periods without food by burning fat when we dont hit our minimum calorific requirement in food every day. The fact that you are alive to post in this thread mean your body can and does every night, willfully burn fat to power it.

So correct is this, and so wrong are fat people that talk like you, that you really need to have the courage of your convictions with this kind of thing. If you keep weighing yourself and you see no change after trying to diet for a decent period there are many other explainations that are simpler to describe than yours, which requires everything we know about thermodynamics to be wrong. Water retention, self-deception about what you burn\consume, weighing in after eating, weighing in one day after using the bathroom first thing in the morning, and the next time before using the bathroom first thing in the morning, etc. Muscle gain, also. Muscle is heavier than fat and can conceal fat loss on the scales.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Of course fat people under report their calorie intake. Everybody does it to some extent, fatties more so, necessarily.

For example: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-36988065

The average British person under reports by 1000 calories a day. By extension, a fatty american probably under reports by 2000-3000 a day.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

katkillad2 posted:

Can you link the redit thread for this I tried a google search and couldn't find it.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
And if you really did "make exercising your job", and your definition of "job" is 2 hours of cadio and lifting some stuff twice a day, padded by taking days off to rest, I think I can see how you got fat to begin with.

And your post is full of fat person mentality. "I excercised for like 9 months" becomes "almost an entire year" later in the post. You ate 1400 calories "you think?"

Rakosi fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 5, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zzulu posted:

hoe do you only poop twice a week

i poopeevery day and theyre decently sized poops

, how can you carry around so much fecaal matter in your guts if you only popp twice a week

you might say he was... full of poo poo

:dukedog:

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

The White Dragon posted:

you might say he was... full of poo poo

:dukedog:

hey thats me your talking about im a real person with feelings and furthermore

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

eating 1400 kcal in addition to lifting and cardio for "two hours" each day would make you collapse after a week or so.

that's an enormous calorie deficit, no loving way you were lifting anything heavier than your dick eating like that.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

waitwhatno posted:

eating 1400 kcal in addition to lifting and cardio for "two hours" each day would make you collapse after a week or so.

that's an enormous calorie deficit, no loving way you were lifting anything heavier than your dick eating like that.

I've seen athletes do it for short bursts to make weight. It seems like it's about mental endurance more than anything.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Frosted Flake posted:

I've seen athletes do it for short bursts to make weight. It seems like it's about mental endurance more than anything.

well I guess we just discovered a fattie superman in this thread then

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

katkillad2 posted:

well, either you are a unique snowflake with a mutant thyroid problem OR you done goofed up diet

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

When I was on 2500 cal doing 2 10ks, 2 hrs gym time and a 15km ruck a day I felt like death, everything hurt, and I lost about 4lbs a week. I don't know what kind of fat Hercules could work harder with less food and not cut.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Frosted Flake posted:

When I was on 2500 cal doing 2 10ks, 2 hrs gym time and a 15km ruck a day I felt like death, everything hurt, and I lost about 4lbs a week. I don't know what kind of fat Hercules could work harder with less food and not cut.

Well, you should have stuck with some popular weightlifting plan

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
guys im only eating 1000 calories a day maybe, sort of...and mostly drink water, mostly, in a sense

furthermore

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
i think my genes must be causing me to break the laws of physics

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the impossibly fat man sounds like an applewhite pitch for an episode of doctor who

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

lmao, i looked it up and 300lbs is ~136kg

stop trolling the fat thread, man. this is a safe space for fat sceptics and critics and we would like to keep it troll free.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Sialia posted:

Actually had to look up HAES. What the gently caress is that?
'Focusing on health and wellbeing rather than weight control'?
What the actual gently caress?
If you want health and wellbeing weight control is like the most important and controllable aspect.

They just want ppl like goons to stop being weird and trashing fat people at every opportunity

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Carmant posted:

They just want ppl like goons to stop being weird and trashing fat people at every opportunity

I dunno if it's the case, but I like the idea that you're a fat gently caress, as it goes a long way to explain the delusional thinking and deliberate seeming stupidity inherent in all your lovely posts.

That and if I add a wheezing noise and gasping every few words while reading your posts, it just seems right.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Carmant posted:

We had the one thread, but there was an unusually large amount of people bitching about it in the "I don't like a thing" forum. So the thread got stamped out, but it tried coming back.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

AugmentedVision posted:

Yeah my buddy's sister was bulimic -- not fat at all just body dysmorphia

She went to treatment and suddenly wouldn't shut the gently caress up about HAES? Like what the gently caress did they tell her at treatment and why was it "being fat is OK" and not "you're not fat, idiot"

I guess you're saying that's the proper thing to do but IDGI, why tell her being fat is OK instead of trying to fix her hosed perception

Yeah basically HAES should be saying "you're not fat, those models look like starving third world children." It should be helping direct people to therapy to get over BDD or that sort of thing. However its being used to avoid treating obesity like a disease like it should be. Hence gently caress HAES.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I always despised the HAES-like defense of pointing to super models; the kind that look actually sick which most guys aren't all that into. I'm afraid that gold standard for "Oh yeah?! WELL SKINNY IS BAD TOO!!" might be having an effect that causes people to see those that aren't carrying a spare tire or love handles to be "underweight" and needing to eat more.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Frosted Flake posted:

Fat people are unique in their outward appearance totally gives away their character.

I think that's why they hate being mocked, it's the acknowledgement that their fatness shows how lazy, greedy, immoderate, and undisciplined they are.

Unique? My nigga have you ever heard of methamphetamine?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I've lost 5kg since June by completely stuffing myself with veg, fish and chicken and walking around a lot. It's not loving rocket science.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

three options:

1. miscounted calories/overestimated exercise
2. all known biochemistry is wrong
3. body skipped over ketosis and went straight to fission

clearly the most likely option is

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

frozenpeas posted:

I've lost 5kg since June by completely stuffing myself with veg

I'm a vagitarian too :respek:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I lost 250 lbs without eating a single vegetable because I think they are gross. I eat more now but my palette was programmed for McDonald's. I eat greens powders instead

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

vyst posted:

I lost 250 lbs

It's like several people being turned into energy - medical waste

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

vyst posted:

I lost 250 lbs without eating a single vegetable because I think they are gross. I eat more now but my palette was programmed for McDonald's. I eat greens powders instead

You also inspired a bunch of other overweight goons to lose a bunch of weight too so I think that number is a little low for that :).

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Still hot but that's not what most haes advocates look like though

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

How about we call it HAMS (Health at most sizes) because those super skinny gym rat BITCHES are clearly unhappy with themselves & obsess over what men think of them

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
lol tekken already beat them to that joke

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Get that anime trash out of here.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

katkillad2 posted:

...I'm 6 foot tall and was like 300lbs and that was after like 9 months of working out.

...The month before I quit working out I lost like 2lbs.

...I was keeping myself to like 1400 calories I think?

Let's look at a few numbers. Since you didn't explicitly give your gender and age, let's assume worst possible scenario (wrt metabolism) and that you're an 80-year-old female. The average BMR for an 300 lb 6'0" 80-yo female is 1922 cal/day. Let's also assume you're one unlucky motherfucker at the lovely end of the bell curve, and that your BMR is 16% lower than average, putting you at 1614 cal/day. This means that if all the above is correct, and you only ate 1400 cal/day, and you did literally nothing all day but lay in bed, you would still lose nearly three pounds in a month.

If you were actually a 30-yo male (which seems much more likely for SA, putting your adjusted BMR at 2221 cal/day), you would lose roughly 7 lbs/month.

Doing nothing but lying in bed. No exercise at all. Not even doing normal day-to-day walking around and poo poo.

So, you're either:
a) lying
b) delusional
c) calculating your intake comedically wrong, or
d) a literal miracle

If you are, in fact, telling the truth, you should post credible evidence of the same so we can inform the medical community that your body holds the key for ending world hunger.

edit: I agree with most of your TL;DR... there are factors that go into BMR that we still don't fully understand. However, all those do is change how difficult it is to lose weight, and cannot eradicate the possibility of losing weight.

Tinestram fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 6, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

vyst posted:

you can reprogram your taste

eat vegetables

if you dislike grilled vegetables youre a lesser person tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Zzulu posted:

you can reprogram your taste

eat vegetables

if you dislike grilled vegetables youre a lesser person tbh

Yea I'm getting back into it. Broccoli is the only one I can't seem to master