Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Azuth0667 posted:

Hypothyroid, deffective leptin signaling, way too much ghrelin. All genetic things that make you fat and should be a basic test your doc does while having the weight chat.

How can any of these things make you fat if you burn more calories than you eat, without breaking the laws of thermodynamics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Pvt.Scott posted:

That's wise. We startle easily and have surprising strength due to our massive bulk.

I dont think having gravity and inertia on your side makes your strength surprising.

Rakosi fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 1, 2016

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

runupon cracker posted:

yeah, it's a good thing we're all robots that can just ignore hunger

Ignoring hunger is kind of part of restricting calories.

if you eat 1500kcal and burn 2000kcal every day for a month you would lose weight regardless of how fat your jeans are, or else cause great confusion amongst many physicists around the world. The problem is not in the calorie restriction its in people counting calories badly (underestimating what they eat and overestimating what they burn).

Where are all the african village teenagers that just cant shift that last 20lbs no matter how many famines there are, thanks to their most hypo of thyroids.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Azuth0667 posted:

Because they gently caress with your overall metabolism in several ways.

please explain how anything can gently caress with your overall metabolism in several ways so that the net result of you eating 1500 calories and burning 2000 every day for a month is a gain/no shift in body weight. Its loving with the law of conservation of energy for one.

The only thing stopping fat people from getting skinny is their inability to truthfully, and accurately, count their calories and the western contemporary mindset that life shouldn't be hard or uncomfortable.

You enjoyed gorging yourself, so now you have to not enjoy undoing that damage.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

runupon cracker posted:

so easy that obesity isn't even really an issue

oh, except in the real world where two thirds of the US population is overweight

You seem to think that if a lot of people can't/refuse to do something it must be too hard.

There is another possible explanation for this effect; a lot of people are lazy/unwilling and westerners are gradually devolving their ability to cope with even the smallest discomforts or inconveniences.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

If ISIS held your family hostage and threatened to burn them alive if you didn't shed some of your massive infidel bulk I'm pretty sure all of a sudden your hypothyroid would stop being a factor lol

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

runupon cracker posted:

I don't disagree with anything you've said here. People can and do lose weight. I've done it. Literally anybody *can* lose weight. There is a clear path.

All I'm saying, all I've ever said, is that it's not easy.

But somehow that's "learned helplessness" on my part? Yeesh.

Your lack of introspection and self-recrimination is probably a large (lol) part of why you got fat to begin with.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

I mean once you've gone full pot belly and man-boob dad bod, how does a person look at themselves in a mirror and think "Hmm. I'm already chubby. I'll go on another two years of binge eating to get REALLY fat".

Oh, you mean they don't think that? They don't think? Not thinking = stupid. Stupid and fat.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

waitwhatno posted:

We are not talking about getting in shape and running a marathon here, this is about obesity. Quitting obesity is very, very easy.

Step 1: Next time you are buying soda, buy sugar free. They are right next to each other at supermarket.

Step 2: No step two

It's literally impossible to become a lard whale without a constant influx of carbonated sugar water into your body.

No alcohol either. No booze, no soda.

EDIT: in fatspeech that means 0. Not a little bit at the weekend to treat you for a good week of dieting. 0. None. Ever. For any reason. That is what people mean when they say "Don't have anymore XXXXX".

Rakosi fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 2, 2016

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Did the guy in this thread who was trying to argue that if you eat less than you burn you dont necessarily lose weight abandon ship?

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

katkillad2 posted:

The last time I exercised, I was unemployed and taking advantage of it by at least trying to get healthy. I was lifting weights following some popular weightlifting plan about 3-4 times a week and was doing cardio 6 times a week. I'm 6 foot tall and was like 300lbs and that was after like 9 months of working out. I did my cardio on elliptical machines because I was afraid I was too fat that running on a treadmill would destroy my knees/ankles.

This is no exaggeration, I was doing 50-60 miles of cardio a week on the elliptical machines, usually 2 hours a day and I was working out twice a day for lifting and cardio on some days. (I was taking days off from lifting to rest.) The month before I quit working out I lost like 2lbs and was getting frustrated so I switched things up, doing the burst thing with cardio where you go as fast as you can at intervals... forget what it's called. I lost zero pounds for the entire month. I was asking about "starvation mode" in the goon thread and most said it doesn't actually exist.

I basically made exercising my job for almost an entire year.

This is usually the part where people tell me my diet must be poo poo. I was keeping myself to like 1400 calories I think? I was measuring everything and actually keeping track, eating mostly grilled chicken with brown rice. I was drinking water primarily.

TLDR: If genetics, a persons metabolism and/or some other uncontrollable factor like gut bacteria or one's own body perception negatively influencing the brain aren't the primary issues for obesity in some portion of the population then I would be really surprised.

Either you were weighing yourself badly or you were tracking your calories badly. It is against the laws of physics to do all that exercise, eat only 1400 calories and not lose weight. You're either wrong about the exercise you did, or wrong about the calorie restriction, or wrong when you weighed in (scales being on carpet or on a slight incline can make them act weird).

You have to understand that there is no gene or gut fauna that can create energy out of nothing and so your body has to go after its fuel reserves if you dont eat enough. It has to, or you will have died. You would have been unable to create energy for your cells and your brain would have stopped working. If we only had the ability to survive off of the energy in what we eat, most of us would die during the night as our bodily store of glycogen is depleted. Thats why we evolved to switch metabolic pathways, so that we can go long periods without food by burning fat when we dont hit our minimum calorific requirement in food every day. The fact that you are alive to post in this thread mean your body can and does every night, willfully burn fat to power it.

So correct is this, and so wrong are fat people that talk like you, that you really need to have the courage of your convictions with this kind of thing. If you keep weighing yourself and you see no change after trying to diet for a decent period there are many other explainations that are simpler to describe than yours, which requires everything we know about thermodynamics to be wrong. Water retention, self-deception about what you burn\consume, weighing in after eating, weighing in one day after using the bathroom first thing in the morning, and the next time before using the bathroom first thing in the morning, etc. Muscle gain, also. Muscle is heavier than fat and can conceal fat loss on the scales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

And if you really did "make exercising your job", and your definition of "job" is 2 hours of cadio and lifting some stuff twice a day, padded by taking days off to rest, I think I can see how you got fat to begin with.

And your post is full of fat person mentality. "I excercised for like 9 months" becomes "almost an entire year" later in the post. You ate 1400 calories "you think?"

Rakosi fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 5, 2016

• Locked thread