Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

nomadologique posted:

that's heritability, regardless of genetics. what it means is that some individuals do not choose their metabolic settings, and some people with high BMI are in fact not responsible because they just can't stop eating fat foods.

Right, which meant that before the current obesity epidemic these people with this heritability managed to somehow not be giant blobs. Must be magic, just like the weird magic exclusion from thermodynamics that presumably exists to let these gentle, vegetable nibbling hambeasts keep gaining weight.

It's bullshit excuses that help enable current day fatties, but whatever, hope they enjoy wheezing around, losing their feet and eventually their life to being non-compliant blobs. Seems like a great time, and so much better than say, having to be hungry for an appreciable period of their days.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Lichy posted:

this is true but the logistics involved in supplying enough fruit to feed, say, the entire American population would absolutely wreck the ecosystem

I don't think anyone would suggest that a rational approach to fixing obsessive overeating, is to just encourage their gluttony by giving them something different to stuff their faces with.

As a sweet treat, a piece of fruit is preferable, and fatties that gorge on refined sugar and want to pretend that "fruit is just as bad" are just indulging another delusion about their obesity.

Also, anyone eating 2-3Kcal of fruit would be seriously regretting it a few hours later..

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

runupon cracker posted:

Anyone can eat less (and that's where the focus should be, not exercise), but it's not easy for the vast majority of people. If it was easy, we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic. Most fat people want to lose weight, but don't, precisely because it is hard.

Telling people losing weight is easy has the unfortunate effect of causing more people to fail. So thanks for contributing to obesity I guess?

Yeah, ok, losing weight is harder than continuing to be a fat gently caress. How is this a revelation or relevant?

I'm pretty sure that a huge percentage of fat people have a smart phone capable or running a calorie counting app, and/or an activity monitoring app. That part is inexcusably easy, but no, that would reveal the extent of their gluttony, and ruin the illusion of helplessness.

Is it easier to deal with the inevitable COPD, diabetes, joint issues and overall health decline, and early grave? Is it easier to wait as long as possible to deal with it, so you can struggle futilely at the end to make changes that may now actually be impossible?

This is clearly all the fault of those that misled you by saying it is easy to do. It is however, much much easy to start the process and make significant changes than it is to avoid the long term repercussions.

More disgusting than morbid obesity is the mentality that allows rationalizations that push back against accepting the repercussions of their deliberately ignoring their health for decades.

Even worse then are those that also complain about everyone making it harder for them and "contributing to obesity" while avoiding any kind of personal responsibility.

Oh well, they will all discover that living actually is hard, if only at the end on their oversized gurney, wishing they had had the strength (somehow!) to not eat oversized meals.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

runupon cracker posted:

I don't know, which is why I'm always puzzled when people say how easy it is

Because it *is* easy to start by honestly looking at your diet and health by counting calories and activity.

It never ceases to amaze me how people cherry pick poo poo to reinforce their own imagined inability, particularly the fat.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

runupon cracker posted:

so easy that obesity isn't even really an issue

oh, except in the real world where two thirds of the US population is overweight

Yeah, and I chalk that up to the kind of learned helplessness you illustrate and the pathetic hugbox bullshit excuses that somehow preclude the ability to learn and change.

These are excuses, not reasons.

The idea that life should be uninterrupted pleasure and ease, is very much an American ideal, which I think is a mindset that really plays into obesity.

Life is actually suffering (in part..), and you are just trading that suffering (not going out all the time, not indulging, etc) down the line, to your early, unpleasant demise.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Azuth0667 posted:

What determines net caloric change per day?

If you are a fat piece of poo poo, your net caloric change is a positive number, and you should eat less?

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

runupon cracker posted:

I don't disagree with anything you've said here. People can and do lose weight. I've done it. Literally anybody *can* lose weight. There is a clear path.

All I'm saying, all I've ever said, is that it's not easy.

But somehow that's "learned helplessness" on my part? Yeesh.

It is more that the path that leads to morbid obesity (a path you may or may not have been on) often includes that kind of learned helplessness, and an increasing amount of cognitive dissonance.

I have a friend that works in healthcare, and people will still talk about how they are on a diet, compliant to their diabetes treatment and are actually in pretty good shape, all while bedridden and getting prepped to have their foot amputated.

It really is pretty hosed up, because life is absolutely miserable for those people, tho they don't generally suffer much longer.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

runupon cracker posted:

"working hard" you say

Man, what the gently caress. Not killing yourself through gluttony is doing the bare loving minimum in life; fit people don't get a medal or expect one - it is just doing the necessary. If that is too much like hard hard work then I guess die?

Aw, it's hard to die slowly too. A Bloo Bloo Bloo.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Poetic Justice posted:

also start counting calories and overestimate by 5-10% the amount in food, and underestimate by 5-10% the amount you burn.

This is a good idea, particularly to avoid..

The New England Journal of Medicine posted:

.. underreported their actual food intake by an average of 47% (+/- 16) and overreported their physical activity by 51% (+/- 75).

Ah ha ha, I'm the person that overreported their activity by 126%. Amazing.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

runupon cracker posted:

sooooo an industry that's spent 40 years and millions of dollars in food engineering know very little about the body and made the population literally balloon into comedic levels of obesity totally by accident, but some poor schlub at home with $3 in his bank account and a GED can master weight loss "easily"

the mental gymnastics are breathtaking

No one *makes* anyone fat 'cept the goon behind the fork or spoon; it is operator error. The idea that someone else is to blame is a ridiculous justification to remove personal responsibility from the equation. Portions, processed food, commercials, whatever have made it both made it easy and even worse, somehow justifiable to be fat. It's bullshit, because not everyone is a loving hambeast.

runupon cracker posted:

But somehow that's "learned helplessness" on my part? Yeesh.

The mental gymnastics are breathtaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Carmant posted:

They just want ppl like goons to stop being weird and trashing fat people at every opportunity

I dunno if it's the case, but I like the idea that you're a fat gently caress, as it goes a long way to explain the delusional thinking and deliberate seeming stupidity inherent in all your lovely posts.

That and if I add a wheezing noise and gasping every few words while reading your posts, it just seems right.

• Locked thread