Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Fat people complaining about genetics making them fat is like brunettes complaining about genetics making them brunettes. While it is technically true that some people can be blond without doing any work, if you really want to be blond, you can be. Yes, you will have to continually fight your body's natural tendency to be a brunette, but if being blond is important to you, is it really that big of a deal getting a dye job every now and then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

Is self-control genetic or what

ask the 60% of men or 45% of women who cheat on their spouses

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Quote-Unquote posted:

I really hate the term 'processed food' because it is meaningless

did you know that if you breathe pure oxygen, you'll die?

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

waitwhatno posted:

Walking is actually fun. If I have the time I walk everywhere, instead of taking the bike, bus or subway. Everyone who doesn't walk is missing out on life.

I agree

down with 8-hour work days

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rakosi posted:

How can any of these things make you fat if you burn more calories than you eat, without breaking the laws of thermodynamics.

yeah, it's a good thing we're all robots that can just ignore hunger

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I AM THE TOILET posted:

i guess all those people who brag about never exercising and being able to eat whatever they want are loving LIARS because they must be surreptitiously keeping up a planet fitness membership and treadmilling it up at 2 in the morning like some WHORE

actually the flip side to the "laws of thermodynamics" arguments is that it's totally possible to not burn or store all of the energy available to you

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

Yes. Were you looking for the women, gays or genderblob thread?

e: It's stupid easy to lose weight just with caloric reduction. Not everyone is going to be running 10k and doing chin-ups but anyone can eat less.

Anyone can eat less (and that's where the focus should be, not exercise), but it's not easy for the vast majority of people. If it was easy, we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic. Most fat people want to lose weight, but don't, precisely because it is hard.

Telling people losing weight is easy has the unfortunate effect of causing more people to fail. So thanks for contributing to obesity I guess?

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

8 track betamax posted:

Actually it's not hard you baby

despite all of the evidence to the contrary you're right

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pannus posted:

The solution is simple but maybe not easy for fat ppl with no willpower

there's way too much emphasis on willpower imo. Willpower is important in the early stages of weight loss, but in the long term discipline is what will bring success. The trick is building up that discipline before your willpower gives out.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

youre really weak mentally if you cant just reduce food intake for a few months until your weight goes down

like man, let yourself be hungry and get over it

that is if youre too lazy to figure out how to feel full on a low calorie diet, which you are, arent you, you lazy piece of shiiiit

sorry that got out of hand

yes, maintaining willpower over the course of several months is the easiest thing ever lmao

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sound posted:

you just don't understand how hard it is to not eat a large pizza every night by myself

because it tastes good

you don't need to eat a large pizza to get too many calories

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

its a minimal amount of willpower that boils down to "eatin less"

just eat less

why is this so insanely hard for ppl

no, do not eat the twinky

you can get too many calories without eating twinkies

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lichy posted:

corporations don't necessarily understand your body at all

most big food corps nowadays got that way by stumbling onto a good recipe by accident and it just happened that people bought their poo poo and so they got big, e.g. Ben&Jerries

it's entirely logical that a person would eat food when it is available to him IMO

this is why governments must employ experts who understand the human body to regulate the behaviour of producers and consumers. and they do with some success

lol if you don't think food is specifically engineered by the corporations to keep people fat

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Blitter posted:

Yeah, ok, losing weight is harder than continuing to be a fat gently caress. How is this a revelation or relevant?

I don't know, which is why I'm always puzzled when people say how easy it is

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Wizard of Poz posted:

maybe someone asked this already but why can op accept that appetite can vary from person to person, but cant/won't accept that willpower and self control can also vary from person to person and some people are just fat lazy autists

people have some kind of cognitive dissonance when it comes to biodiversity. Like it's totally impossible that one person's target body fat percentage could be higher than another's.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

Hahahahahahah look at all these people acting like you can just put extra points into WIL to solve all your problems as if life was a Bioware RPG.

Well, I was serious about the discipline thing. Discipline is a powerful tool, and it can be built up over time. Willpower is easier to maintain in the short term if you know there's light at the end of the tunnel, so knowing you can build up discipline for the long haul can help people.

It worked for me, anyway.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

because its "hard" but not prohibitively so for anyone who would genuinely rather lose weight than just gorging on whatever happy-make-feel-good poo poo they wanna shove into their gluttonous hole

you do not need to gorge on "happy-make-feel-good-poo poo" to get too many calories

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Blitter posted:

Because it *is* easy to start by honestly looking at your diet and health by counting calories and activity.

It never ceases to amaze me how people cherry pick poo poo to reinforce their own imagined inability, particularly the fat.

so easy that obesity isn't even really an issue

oh, except in the real world where two thirds of the US population is overweight

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rakosi posted:

You seem to think that if a lot of people can't/refuse to do something it must be too hard.

There is another possible explanation for this effect; a lot of people are lazy/unwilling and westerners are gradually devolving their ability to cope with even the smallest discomforts or inconveniences.

"not easy" != "too hard"

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Blitter posted:

Yeah, and I chalk that up to the kind of learned helplessness you illustrate and the pathetic hugbox bullshit excuses that somehow preclude the ability to learn and change.

These are excuses, not reasons.

The idea that life should be uninterrupted pleasure and ease, is very much an American ideal, which I think is a mindset that really plays into obesity.

Life is actually suffering (in part..), and you are just trading that suffering (not going out all the time, not indulging, etc) down the line, to your early, unpleasant demise.

I don't disagree with anything you've said here. People can and do lose weight. I've done it. Literally anybody *can* lose weight. There is a clear path.

All I'm saying, all I've ever said, is that it's not easy.

But somehow that's "learned helplessness" on my part? Yeesh.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rakosi posted:

Your lack of introspection and self-recrimination is probably a large (lol) part of why you got fat to begin with.

how do you think I lost weight?

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

Apparently having just enough willpower to get by until eating habits became routine?

you make that sound like a bad thing

seriously wtf

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Your whole point seems to rest on the theory that if something is pervasive, it must be unavoidable or at least very difficult to avoid. I don't know why you think that but it's not true. Some things are pervasive because western society is indulgent and highly focused on immediate gratification and watching what you eat over a long period of time before you see a real payoff is just too much work for some people. Other people don't mind working hard for their goals.

"working hard" you say

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Yeah the whole concept of calorie density (as opposed to just raw calorie content) was a game changer for me

Same here. The best part of that chart is that potatoes are part of "all you can eat", despite the near-constant demonization potatoes get.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

gingrich posted:

is this the new fat is beautiful thread?

yes

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lichy posted:

forty years is not a lot of time in biological science and thus yes, most big corporations right now did not get there through knowing how bodies work super well

sooooo an industry that's spent 40 years and millions of dollars in food engineering know very little about the body and made the population literally balloon into comedic levels of obesity totally by accident, but some poor schlub at home with $3 in his bank account and a GED can master weight loss "easily"

the mental gymnastics are breathtaking

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
losing weight is easy, just eat less and move more

~somebody who believes abstinence-only education works too

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sonofsilversign posted:

the brightest mind in his field the most lauded man in food engineering peers down his microscope in his billion dollar laboratory "finally after 40 years of research and testing it is finished" he whispers the sweat beading on his forehead as his tweezers ever so gently place the last grain of salt "finally my life's work is complete" he straightens his back stiff from decades of sugar balancing and announces to his enraptured colleges "i have created DORITOS® JACKED™ Spicy Street Taco flavor!" a single tear rolls down his face as the applause begins

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

katkillad2 posted:

...I'm 6 foot tall and was like 300lbs and that was after like 9 months of working out.

...The month before I quit working out I lost like 2lbs.

...I was keeping myself to like 1400 calories I think?

Let's look at a few numbers. Since you didn't explicitly give your gender and age, let's assume worst possible scenario (wrt metabolism) and that you're an 80-year-old female. The average BMR for an 300 lb 6'0" 80-yo female is 1922 cal/day. Let's also assume you're one unlucky motherfucker at the lovely end of the bell curve, and that your BMR is 16% lower than average, putting you at 1614 cal/day. This means that if all the above is correct, and you only ate 1400 cal/day, and you did literally nothing all day but lay in bed, you would still lose nearly three pounds in a month.

If you were actually a 30-yo male (which seems much more likely for SA, putting your adjusted BMR at 2221 cal/day), you would lose roughly 7 lbs/month.

Doing nothing but lying in bed. No exercise at all. Not even doing normal day-to-day walking around and poo poo.

So, you're either:
a) lying
b) delusional
c) calculating your intake comedically wrong, or
d) a literal miracle

If you are, in fact, telling the truth, you should post credible evidence of the same so we can inform the medical community that your body holds the key for ending world hunger.

edit: I agree with most of your TL;DR... there are factors that go into BMR that we still don't fully understand. However, all those do is change how difficult it is to lose weight, and cannot eradicate the possibility of losing weight.

Tinestram fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Wicker Man posted:

gently caress cauliflower, though.

Hey man, watch it... cauliflower is baller as gently caress. It's a great alternative for mashed potatoes if you're really into the low-carb thing but loving love mashed potatoes.

• Locked thread