Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AltruisticNemesis
Nov 7, 2007
tra la la
My 1y 5m old FS chihuahua-pomeranian mix is afraid of me at night.

I adopted my dog in early July and we were best friends. Everything was wonderful.
But in the beginning of August she started to become afraid of me at night going as far as peeing on the floor(I suspect submissively). She hides behind my husband, follows him around instead of me, cowers and shivers when I call her and refuses to listen to me. She wont even sit on the same couch. And she just doesn't hide behind my husband she also hides behind our roommates. I didn't do or say anything new, different, or yell. Nothing changed.

Except for right now when she just came from her bed when I looked at her and said "hello" and she walked up the arm of my chaise and put her head on my shoulder. Husband came in and she just lifted up her head then put it back down. She's still doing the stressed licking though. Then she just inched towards the husband on the other couch and tried to cross me and my laptop to get to him. But I raised my hand and she stopped and ducked down. I let her cross and now she's sitting as far away from me as she can.

I don't know what happened and it breaks my heart when she acts so scared. And during the day its like nothing happened we are besties still.

The fuk wrong with my dog

AltruisticNemesis fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

AltruisticNemesis posted:

My 1y 5m old FS chihuahua-pomeranian mix is afraid of me at night.

I adopted my dog in early July and we were best friends. Everything was wonderful.
But in the beginning of August she started to become afraid of me at night going as far as peeing on the floor(I suspect submissively). She hides behind my husband, follows him around instead of me, cowers and shivers when I call her and refuses to listen to me. She wont even sit on the same couch. And she just doesn't hide behind my husband she also hides behind our roommates. I didn't do or say anything new, different, or yell. Nothing changed.

Except for right now when she just came from her bed when I looked at her and said "hello" and she walked up the arm of my chaise and put her head on my shoulder. Husband came in and she just lifted up her head then put it back down. She's still doing the stressed licking though. Then she just inched towards the husband on the other couch and tried to cross me and my laptop to get to him. But I raised my hand and she stopped and ducked down. I let her cross and now she's sitting as far away from me as she can.

I don't know what happened and it breaks my heart when she acts so scared. And during the day its like nothing happened we are besties still.

The fuk wrong with my dog

really not enough info there person, usually a fear response is completely learned behavior and it usually isnt going to be a one time "that thing you accidentally did once" unless you beat the poo poo out of the dog, or scared the gently caress out of it repeatedly or something. think about changes around that time vs your dogs associations, did you change perfume/cologne, something that altered your smell? You mentioned your dog is adopted, so these associations can mean something. I will admit im shooting into the dark here based off the info but sometimes these are all things :shrug: wish i could help more or in any way really :smithfrog: may want to take thit to one of the megathreads though lots of smart people there.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Legit if you're dark skinned she may not be able to see your face and she may be going OH GOD THIS FACELESS HUMAN WHAT THE HELL real hard because dogs are stupid. It's a really, really common problem and often why dogs "don't like" dark skinned people. If you're as white as a lily, though, that throws that idea out.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Maybe she thinks you're a werewolf how the hell do I know what am I the dog whisperer?

• Locked thread