Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
nonograms are the poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

it'll all make sense once you find the secret ending

it's not nice, to lie.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
i wish game developers would stop making sliding tile puzzles, forever

klocki is a cute little game, but the sliding tiles are just awful

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
i honestly didn't discover that until after i beat the game... it's cool

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

In Training posted:

I started the Witness. I love the design of it but its giving me panic attacks already because of how much I know im missing, and because I was clearing a set of boards thinking I had the trick figured out and then i get to the last one and nothing I think should work works and i get confused

there's no pressure. you have all the time in the world to go back and figure things out. missing things now just means you have more to find later.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

elf help book posted:

when the ps4 lauched, blow did a live stream playing all the ps+ games he got free for it, and when he got to Contrast he tried really hard to be nice about it and just said like "making games is hard..."

lol

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
the tetrominos were one of the hardest parts of the game for me. i have pages and pages of notes covered in attempted tetromino puzzle solutions

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

EvilMike posted:

the town is just a combination of all the different puzzles from other parts of the island. go back to it after you learned all the rules for solving puzzles. in general if you cant figure out the logic behind something, just go explore somewhere else and eventually you'll find something that teaches it to you.

in the whole game, there's really only one symbol you have to figure out on your own, and its only required in the post-endgame area.

what symbol? i don't remember that...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

EvilMike posted:

the yellow triangle puzzles. the rule isn't too hard to figure out, but there's no tutorial sequence for them (or you could say, there is one, but it's a bunch of individual "broken" panels that don't trigger anything if you solve them, and are scattered in random places on the map).

oh, yeah, i definitely thought of it in the latter way - it seemed clear to me that the scattered triangles were the tutorial for their later appearance. they're generally hidden away where other games would put a reward or collectible - in this case, the 'reward' is having another clue for how that system works when you need it, much later

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

rediscover posted:

i've solved 2 of those panels and i still dont get it.. maybe im not supposed to yet. the witness makes me feel more and more retarded every time i open it up

i didn't figure it out until after i beat the game. hell, i didn't even know there was something to figure out... though i had taken screenshots of every triangle puzzle i encountered, just in case they or their location were important for something.

i took a lot of screenshots like that in the witness

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
imo the 'full' ending is pretty good... not for, like, plot, but just as a cool thing to complement the rest of the game

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Plebian Parasite posted:

The big thing is 'ending' the game deletes your save pretty much, so don't do it unless you're finished.

it does not. the game saves very regularly, and you can load a save from before you end the game.

this confused me when i did it too... you never need to touch the save menu before you beat the game.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

rediscover posted:

the mountain or The End or whatever you want to call it was easily my favorite section of the witness. the puzzles were batshit but for some reason i was able to solve them relatively easily. like there was only a couple that i got super stuck on like the room with the (very minor puzzle spoilers) orange/blue floating paths you had to maneuver from both sides in various formations until you got it right to progress but drat did it feel amazing to finally figure it out. The Witness is the greatest puzzle game I've ever played and im still hungry for more. heard the talos principle is at least a little bit similar, is it worht playing? heard good things about it but also some bad things

the puzzle you spoilered was a hard one for me too, but my little brother had a much worse time with it. he was co-op playing the game with a friend, and the two of them took well over an hour (two hours?) just wrestling with that one puzzle. at one point they got themselves trapped on one side and asked me to google to make sure they hadn't put themselves into an unwinnable state

also talos principle has both good puzzles and real good writing, which is unusual

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

ArfJason posted:

i mentioned it in games you just beat thread but i just got done with The Talos Principle.

As a puzzle game its alright, some of the procedures to solve puzzles are reused (i can't count how many times I've done the 2 jammer 1 door tango), and sometimes it does some really clever stuff. Nothing out of this world but it's really good, and that's something to be celebrated.

The things that aren't puzzle though I thought were really really good, and made for one of the most depressing games ive played, but not because they make it sad and bleak and stuff, but because it talks about topics and questions that dont really have answers. There's nothing really new here, anyone who has ever wondered about mortality and humanity will have gotten to the same place at some point, but slowly piecing together the fate of humanity and actually reading all the stuff people were writing as the world was ending really hit me hard for some reason. thinking about the world ending isn't new either, but diving through an archive of the kind of things people would say when faced with The End, both the meaningful and the mundane, is really melancholic. I recommend to anyone who hasn't given it a chance and has it sitting on their backlog to give it a shot. it's not portal levels of novelty, and it's not groundbreaking philosophy either, but both combined make it a really unique and memorable game.

talos has some of the best writing in any game i've played. the plot outline was already set in stone before the writers got there, and it really shows in some places, but i'm still very fond of it.

what did you think of the debating with the devil section in world 3?

also, did you do the bonus stars?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
imp zone: it's okay to like game.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
it was really easy for me... basically trivial. guess you guys just aren't very good at games, huh?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
i got stuck on the second puzzle in the greenhouse for ages and left it nearly until last, but after i beat that, everything clicked and it was clear sailing for the rest of the area. sometimes that's just the way the apple crumbles!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

In Training posted:

Yeah...the reason I didn't like it really is because it felt like a puzzle game about learning rules. Once you learned the rules, the game itself was over and then you moved on. Contrasted with something like Picross, where the rules are known and simple, and it's a structure for repeatable actions and designed. I appreciate that there can be joy in learning rules like that but to me it felt like playing 15 different dark souls tutorial zones at once without a game behind it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The rules compose in interesting ways that make you figure out cool new stuff. Knowing the rules did not suffice on many of the puzzles, you had to apply them hardcore. It's cool if you don't like it though - if I didn't like a game after 2 hours I'd stop, as well.

yeah, i don't think that's a particularly fair criticism. maybe half the puzzles were 'learn these rules'; the other half were 'ok, solve a tough problem with these constraints you've already discovered'. (the north part of the island tended more toward this than the south, i think.)

but if you didn't like it, well... as they say in Paris, "say la vee".

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

goferchan posted:

Did u find the puzzle associated with it? there's a line you can draw inside the video but the start of the line is only visible at the beginning of the clip and the end of it is only visible in the last few seconds so u have to watch the entire thing

isn't that puzzle in the hour-long video of the moon, not the candle video?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
I made a puzzle game.

Everyone, please: Buy My Game.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Plebian Parasite posted:

my friend who has bought and played every single programming puzzle game on steam said it is very good and well made

Please buy PleasingFungus's game.

discount cathouse posted:

whoa zhe zachtronics guy gave you a quote for the back of the box so it must be legit

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's on the wishlist for when I've got spare cash :cheers:

Thank you, all. It is very passe and unfashionable to be sincere these days, but I am, nonetheless, sincerely grateful.

ArfJason posted:

Apologies, i will not buy it until its 5 bucks on a sale because argentina. Sry, it looks cool

I understand. Stay strong, Gamer

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

TBH I would have bought your game even if it looked like crap for all the work you did on crawl so it's extra-cool that it also looks really fun to me, a big nerd. Is there a place that isn't steam that gets you a bigger cut or something?

yeah, itch.io is a bit more generous. don't worry about it too much one way or another, tho

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

extremely steampunk posted:

I hd a dream about Silicon Zeroes last night where I was playing the game, but it wasn't on a computer, it was in a notepad and I had to draw all the parts with permanent marker

that's the hardcore mode.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Opus Magnum looks gorgeous. Not sure if I have the energy to play another Engineering Game right now, but I feel kind of obligated to buy it, considering.

Funny that he put in another solitaire game. I guess Shenzhen Solitaire was a big success for him?

I have to go back to silicon zeroes - I have a basic pipelined processor working but I put off doing control flow and the last chapter. Fun game!

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
it's out. seems fun, but tiring, like all zachtronics

the game's still young enough that some of my scores are lower than any of the other ones displayed on the bar-chart leaderboards, which is a nice feeling

• Locked thread