Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i just bought infinifactory which is basically 3D spacechem and it's insanely hard im stuck on like the 10th puzzle. and ive gotten stuck on every puzzle for at least 20 minutes so far. it p0wns and feels so good when you finally figure a level out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
The witness is really really cool

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

ppl hate on the non puzzle parts of the witness but i found all of it kinda cool. anyways the puzzles in it are good as hell and difficult and solving them really gets me riled up

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

this looks awesome

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

I believe it's on Xbox One

Ehm, I think I speak for everyone here when I say we don't like that console..... for a certain erong thing about it.. Is there another option please

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Hat Thoughts posted:

Sounds like uh, Quadrilateral Cowboy

That game is extremely good for the first half, the mechanics are unique and interesting and fun etc and then you hit the second half where they completely abandon that type of gameplay for this really confusing multi character nonsense and it was really disappointing to me.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

I bought the witness today. its also 20 bucks on steam

i also bought it for 20 dollars and its my favorite puzzle game i ever played. the puzzle im stuck on is absolutely ridiculous. its a combination of a bunch of puzzles that took me 2 hours to figure out but all the rules at the same time and the grid is like 12x12

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

goferchan posted:

post a pic im curious if i can still remember how to solve anything. don't worry i won't spoil ya tho

i figured it out!!! but i only have a pic of before i found the solution

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

goferchan posted:

Ooh i love the castle zone. The final puzzles are really cool (and iirc you only have to complete one of the two sets to clear the area but you should do both cuz they're great. They present a nice left brain/right brain sort of split)

yes i did in fact complete both sides even though i didnt have to. i love puzzles but now im in the village and stuck on the first puzzle because i dont understand the rules lol. i feel like i see what they want me to see but when i try to put it into practice its telling me i suck and am wrong

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

goferchan posted:

some small spoilers re: the village -- its absolutely meant to be the last area you do . some other zones are gated by some basic poo poo from other ones but the village puzzles incorporate rules that you learn in all other 10 areas .... feel free to push as far as you can if you haven't finished the rest yet but don't feel dumb if it stumps you at some point

good to know. at this point ive got the greenhouse laser, the castle laser, and the shadow forest puzzles laser.. gonna explore and find some new shiet.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

desert ruins reflective puzzle zone: complete. now i'm in the marsh getting stuck on the third puzzle which should be really simple but i'm stumped lol. the witness is amazing

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Plebian Parasite posted:

desert is probably the weakest zone, marsh is probably the best given that mastering the mechanics opens up puzzles everywhere.

i get the 'make the shape' gimmick i'm just retarded and can't seem to figure out this 3x3 grid with the same pieces as the 4x4 right before it. i used to think i was smart but playing this game has been really humbling. the towns puzzles are total enigmas to me despite being familiar with most of the rules at play.. the desert zone and the trial and error style of puzzle solving where you try to find the right place to stand to catch the reflection is dumb i agree. i love this game though. my favorite puzzle game easily

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

symbolic posted:

all this Witness talk makes me wanna play it so badly once i fix my desktop

it's really good

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

and yeah i've been doing all the optional puzzles i find. i just like solving puzzles

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

goferchan posted:

be careful, bunch of ppl are just picking this up for the first time ... i didn't realize the environmental puzzles existed until i was hours into the game and that's a "wow" moment i don't wanna deny anyone

didnt read the spoiler and right now as im quoting you i am averting my eyes... do you mean the random sets panels that dont seem to do anything other than teach puzzle rules or is there like, actual environmental puzzles that are not line puzzles

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

I started the Witness. I love the design of it but its giving me panic attacks already because of how much I know im missing, and because I was clearing a set of boards thinking I had the trick figured out and then i get to the last one and nothing I think should work works and i get confused

Stick with it bro. Once you get the proverbial ball rolling it's one of the best puzzle game experiences you can have, IMO. Every time I play it I love it a little more. The puzzles are extremely interesting but I agree that it can be frustrating when you thought you had the rules figured out and suddenly they don't work and all your 'equations' fall apart and your stuck bashing your head against the wall until you accidentally bruteforce it and not realize why your solution was correct

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I'll be honest, I've googled the solutions to a few puzzles that really stumped me. most of the time (done this 4ish times) I just read strong hints but for the last puzzle in the greenhouse with all the flowers and poo poo I just looked up the solution because my brain just couldn't process what it wanted me to process

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I am but a man

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I haven't done that in a long time and made a pact to never look anything up for the rest of the game.. Please don't be mean to me

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Plebian Parasite posted:

Well, except that the 'I completed all the zones' bonus area is like the best part of the game.

i'm going to beat everything and from now on it'll be on by myself. i wonder what y'all mean by environmental puzzles... i'm going to pay extra attention next session if i can figure out like the 3rd puzzle in the marsh lol. i get stuck on the dumbest poo poo. The Witness GOTY

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

cleared the hedge maze area today and decided to check out the mountain top where the lasers point. Did you know that if you see a mountain in this game, you can walk to it? Simply incredible

i wanna know what's inside the mountain so bad. but i have to stop being retarded and finish puzzles to do so

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

goferchan posted:

[spoilers]more puzzles[/spoilers]

duh but whats it look like.. what is the secret of the island is what i wanna know

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

I still dont get the tetronimos so I left that level behind but I found a nice grove with sun tile based puzzles that I figured out and those were fun until I got to sun puzzles combined with tetronimos. I really need to figure those out, and the black/white boxes.

I did the exact same thing. tetris puzzles hosed my head up so i ended up in the tree house with the suns and now im fuckin stuck again on the last puzzle on the little bridge that unfolds with every puzzle u complete. this game makes me feel retarded

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Plebian Parasite posted:

The treehouses are easily the roughest area apart from the final zone. Good luck gamer.

no the town is more bullshit than the treehouses. so is the tetris marsh. ive only done like 6 tree house puzzles though so maybe it gets retarded. i hate solving 5 puzzles in a row easily and then getting hopelessly stuck on the next one. and then when i finish it after hours and hours, i pwn the next 3 or 4, which are techinically harder, in minutes. ugh. i love the game though

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

in the treehouses i learned that on the bridges, you dont have to complete the last puzzle to make it to the other side. does that mean they are optional or do you have to finish them all to ultimately activate the laser

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

yeah if you're some kind of wuss

my small brain is easily defeated by the simplest of puzzles.. im doing what i can to get by

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

PleasingFungus posted:

oh, yeah, i definitely thought of it in the latter way - it seemed clear to me that the scattered triangles were the tutorial for their later appearance. they're generally hidden away where other games would put a reward or collectible - in this case, the 'reward' is having another clue for how that system works when you need it, much later

i've solved 2 of those panels and i still dont get it.. maybe im not supposed to yet. the witness makes me feel more and more retarded every time i open it up

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

PleasingFungus posted:

i didn't figure it out until after i beat the game. hell, i didn't even know there was something to figure out... though i had taken screenshots of every triangle puzzle i encountered, just in case they or their location were important for something.

i took a lot of screenshots like that in the witness

i have a notebook full of notes

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

i just finished the tree house zone and its definitely my favorite so far. at first when i opened up the 'shortcut' i was like wtf where do i go now but then i looked at the bottom of the bridges and when i realized i could rotate them... n'oh my god such a cool mechanic. now i just have to finish the swamp and the town presumably before uncovering the Secret of the mountain.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I had pretty much finished everything else in the game when I figured out that spoiler....it's a good one.

its epic and i saw a secret panel that i didnt even bother trying to get to because it was too hard.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

for real gently caress the swamp though. i dont like the tetris puzzles very much, they take me significantly longer to solve than any of the other ones

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

marsh complete. gently caress that zone. now all i have is the town and it is so loving beyond my abilities idk if i'll be able to complete it. theres like 5 puzzles available from the start and i cant even begin to figure them out

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

actually i forgot about the quarry which is good because the town is just stupid. additionally, wtf i figured out what ya'll meant by environmental puzzles :stare: i said what the fuuuck out loud to myself, the first time i did it

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

i really like the the quarry's gimmick symbol thing where it cancels out one rule. too bad im loving hopelessly stuck again. i really don't look forward to going back to the town because for real im not even close to being equipped mentally to solve those puzzles. but i will persevere, i have to fuckin know whats inside that mountain and what on earth the ending is like. if its not absolutely insane i will be extremely disappointed

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Bill Barber posted:

Don't worry he already youtubed the ending like a week ago.

no i didnt. anyways i beat the town. i accidentally brute forced the 3x3 puzzle in the house where you cant really solve it until you finish like the rest of the puzzles in the zone, so i skipped like the whole other house which seemed to be full of puzzles where the room color affects the color of the stuff on the puzzle. anyways i completed the rest of it and am now in the mountain and wow its really fuckin cool

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

i know im being a fake gamer by not finishing the rest of the puzzles there but im in a cooler zone now and don't want to go back

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

soz for the triple post but jeez man.. these misaligned puzzles are freaking crazy. im gonna have to take a break this game is frying my brain :sweatdrop:

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

That's ok, I haven't played in a bit because part of me wishes there was a mode I could toggle on that just told me what all the rules were.

i know the rules like the back of my hand.. if you got questions about puzzle rules im your man

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

seems like these days u can get flamed for pretty much anything in these mean streets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

the mountain or The End or whatever you want to call it was easily my favorite section of the witness. the puzzles were batshit but for some reason i was able to solve them relatively easily. like there was only a couple that i got super stuck on like the room with the (very minor puzzle spoilers) orange/blue floating paths you had to maneuver from both sides in various formations until you got it right to progress but drat did it feel amazing to finally figure it out. The Witness is the greatest puzzle game I've ever played and im still hungry for more. heard the talos principle is at least a little bit similar, is it worht playing? heard good things about it but also some bad things

• Locked thread