Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
If y'all liked the talos principle and never played The Witness you should do something about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

toki tori 2 is really good but no one bought it and the company is now bankrupt

gah!! i bought it on ps4 and keep forgetting to play more . it's super hard but i like how mysterious everything is

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

dragon enthusiast posted:

I wanna try Stephens sausage roll

Oh yeah me too .

Also may I submit Snakebird

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

Witness got marked down to 23 bucks, that might be enough for me to check it out. Or I'll hold out for 15 because I'm busy with TWEWY atm anyway

I was about to come post this, i think it's the first time it's been on sale since it came out. It's a very long and good game and that's a good deal for it. Don't sleep on that if you like puzzle games

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Buck Turgidson posted:

Hexcells is excellent and you can get it on an iPad, so your dad can play it on the couch while he watches Danish crime dramas.

drat i was waiting on this to come to ios but for some reason I thought it would be on phones too.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

Any phone puzzle game recommendations?

Auro is a cool strategy/puzzle game with some neat mechanics from David Sirlin, the fighting game guy who made the Yomi card game and other stuff. Levels are randomly generated and it has a very well-done difficulty scaler where (even though it's entirely single player) you move up and down ranks when you play and the difficulty scales with your rank to keep things consistently challenging. Road Not Taken is another one of my favorites, really difficult with some roguelike elements . Snakebird is excellent but I think someone else pointed out that it's got a really janky difficulty curve which is probably a fair assessment, the first few puzzles are simple and then the game jumps straight to "really loving hard". oh and I've been playing Human Resource Machine lately which is a programming puzzle game from the guys who did World of Goo and it's on sale for $1 down from $5 right now. Maybe that games easy if you know anything about programming logic but I don't and I've found it really fun and challenging. I think every game i mentioned is also on PC but they're all really solid ports and play great on a touchscreen

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh poo poo I forgot about like every game by Michael Brough. Imbroglio and 868-HACK are both incredibly fuckin good. They're each worth grabbing but I'd probably play 868-HACK first -- it's a high score chaser with some loose roguelike elements and some really tense risk/reward mechanics

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

yeah i don't have a computer so i gotta make do .... i have really good taste though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

This is cool but on ios it looks like it's only available in Europe or something ? weird

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

drat I want to play Catherine again! I beat it but i don't think i touched hard mode . maybe i'll rent it on PSnow that seems like a great game to do that with

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah the grey numbers aren't cheating

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I forgot I owned Crashmo and never really played it much but i started it up tonight and this games a lot of fun. I think it's like $7 or something too , plenty of puzzle for your dollar

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Chariot is $4.50 on PS4 right now and it's a rly cool local co op puzzle platformer. Not that fun in single player though

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

discount cathouse posted:

Goferchan you absolute fucker. I played Year Walk bc of your recommendation and it was the worst game i played in the last 3 years.

I also played some more text adventures and those are good.

you liked device 6 and hated year walk?? i like the former better but i figured if you dug one you could get into the other. play Sorcery! now if you're playing text adventures

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

witness is $20 right now on PSN, i think that's the cheapest it's ever been. talos principle for 7.50 too which is a steal

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

rediscover posted:

i also bought it for 20 dollars and its my favorite puzzle game i ever played. the puzzle im stuck on is absolutely ridiculous. its a combination of a bunch of puzzles that took me 2 hours to figure out but all the rules at the same time and the grid is like 12x12

post a pic im curious if i can still remember how to solve anything. don't worry i won't spoil ya tho

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

rediscover posted:

i figured it out!!! but i only have a pic of before i found the solution

Ooh i love the castle zone. The final puzzles are really cool (and iirc you only have to complete one of the two sets to clear the area but you should do both cuz they're great. They present a nice left brain/right brain sort of split)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

rediscover posted:

yes i did in fact complete both sides even though i didnt have to. i love puzzles but now im in the village and stuck on the first puzzle because i dont understand the rules lol. i feel like i see what they want me to see but when i try to put it into practice its telling me i suck and am wrong

some small spoilers re: the village -- its absolutely meant to be the last area you do . some other zones are gated by some basic poo poo from other ones but the village puzzles incorporate rules that you learn in all other 10 areas .... feel free to push as far as you can if you haven't finished the rest yet but don't feel dumb if it stumps you at some point

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Stephens Sausage Roll sounds perfect to me but i don't have a computer

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Plebian Parasite posted:

have you been picking up all the little environmental puzzles? They don't do anything but they're really satisfying to solve.

be careful, bunch of ppl are just picking this up for the first time ... i didn't realize the environmental puzzles existed until i was hours into the game and that's a "wow" moment i don't wanna deny anyone

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

discount cathouse posted:

Neither. Just be alert and youll discover.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I wish I could forget The Witness and start over especially because i let my ex gf solve a bunch of puzzles that were too hard for me

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

rediscover posted:

I haven't done that in a long time and made a pact to never look anything up for the rest of the game.. Please don't be mean to me

you don't have to finish all the areas to beat the game and coming back to something later when you're stuck on it usually helps a lot. at least try that if you hit a wall and go check out a different zone

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

OK I found a giant puzzle embedded in the ground and it shone a light on a big black pillar with like 30 of those shapes carved into it my mind is sufficiently blown

It's really cool because it took me hours and hours to figure out about that but it could also happen in the first 30 seconds. Have fun

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

rediscover posted:

i wanna know what's inside the mountain so bad. but i have to stop being retarded and finish puzzles to do so

[spoilers]more puzzles[/spoilers]

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

rediscover posted:

for real gently caress the swamp though. i dont like the tetris puzzles very much, they take me significantly longer to solve than any of the other ones

You already figured it out in the treehouse but my favorite trick is the moving platform in the swamp that people ride on and think they can't ride back on when really you just have to reverse the solution

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

rediscover posted:

actually i forgot about the quarry which is good because the town is just stupid. additionally, wtf i figured out what ya'll meant by environmental puzzles :stare: i said what the fuuuck out loud to myself, the first time i did it

The Real The Witness Starts Here

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

EvilMike posted:

there's a 2nd, weirder ending you haven't seen yet. activate ALL of the lasers and then find the new area that opens up. at the very end of that area there's a clue, which will lead you to the secret ending somewhere on the island.

yeah definitely reach that one because it mirrored my RL experience after playing. there's an easier/faster way to find it tho if you start a new save file and pay close attention at the beginning and apply what you know now

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

nice. did you do the In The Hall Of The Mountain King area? if so then you beat as much as the game as i did, going for 100% seems loving crazy . also did you find the in-game map/progress tracker? it's the pond near the town, stuff appears in it as you discover things in-game correlating with their positions on the island

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Aston posted:

the greenhouse in the witness :eyepop:

I solved it by changing the color settings on my TV and i'm still not sure if that was cheating lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

extremely steampunk posted:

im really afraid that i will have to use a guide to finish up all the environmental puzzles. i can see some of them but i just cant figure them out. sometimes when i see patterns i wonder if its part of a puzzle or if it's just this game loving with me, im going crazy

There are a LOT of them. Wait til you start seeing them everywhere irl lol

edit: if you want to keep track of what you've done and where you've done it there's a progress tracker in the game and like everything else it's both a secret & right under your nose. there's a pond near the town and it's also a map of the island, lights will appear on it and flowers will sprout up as you accomplish stuff

goferchan fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 22, 2017

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

I do like that the game has a FMV of that scene in nostalghia where that guy carries a candle back and forth across an empty pool for 20 minutes to own everyone who found it

Did u find the puzzle associated with it? there's a line you can draw inside the video but the start of the line is only visible at the beginning of the clip and the end of it is only visible in the last few seconds so u have to watch the entire thing

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Been playing Beglitched and it's really fun... it's kinda hard to explain but basically the main mechanic is a mix of minesweeper and a match 3 game. you do battle with enemies who are invisible and hiding on your grid and you have to suss out their location using tiles that give you their relative distance & direction and then match bomb tiles to blow them up. Outside of combat you move around a map that's sort of like minesweeper and find items and talk to NPCs and buy stuff and avoid traps. Really interesting mash-up of mechanics and the difficulty ramps up very quickly and more and more twists on the gameplay keep piling up. It's on Steam and iOS

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

u got mares in yr house posted:

I finished The Witness and Talos Principle. What should I play next?

Snakebird is good . Stephens Sausage Roll sounds amazing but i haven't played it yet

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I just bought English Country Tune (idk how much it is on PC but it's a dollar on phones) and holy poo poo this is a good puzzle game. Starts out as some simple sokoban stuff but keeps revealing layers and layers of rules and reveals itself to be a lot more complicated. Makes me feel like a retard tho lol

edit:

goferchan fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 28, 2017

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's made by the same guy who made Stephen's Sausage Roll.

Yah that's why i downloaded it, hadn't played SSR but it's like $30 and thought i'd try this first for a buck. It's a perfect phone game too.... i've been stuck on one puzzle for hours but the actual act of solving them never takes more than 1 or 2 minutes

edit: have you played Sausage Roll? i'm pretty intrigued . lol Jonathan Blow said it was the best puzzle game of last year, counting The Witness

goferchan fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

that looks beautiful. does Zachtronics post on here or am I thinking of someone else?

• Locked thread