Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The game itself is all right mechanically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It is possible to be both easy and frustrating.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You nailed it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gideon020 posted:

Out of curiosity, is this going to be a Law, Chaos or Neutral ending run?

I'm pretty sure every single LP has ended up at Neutral. It actually kind of defeats the point of holding a vote.

Also, SMT4 was somehow more of a slog than this game. Though it could be that it is so because I played this first.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Well, you can also lust for food, which in most formulations qualifies as Gluttony.

Lust got pidgeonholed into sex because if you try hard enough you can call any of the other Deadly Sins a form of lust.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

How is Zelenin being unreasonable exactly?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

SweaterGear posted:

She's pretty much dismissing that the demons have any sort of sentience. She calls them tools and views the things they do as solely byproducts of human actions, like demons are carbon dioxide or something.

This of course begs the question of: is she incorrect? It certainly seems like they are strongly influenced by human action.

kvx687 posted:

Yeah, she says that she's only personally unwilling to use it, but when Jiminez summoned probably the least dangerous demon in SMT history she threw a straw Vulcan shitfit.

And you find that unreasonable when it is found amongst a suite of demons whose known actions include horrific human experimentation on people she worked closely with?

You're kind of forgetting that part.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Robindaybird posted:

Though I suspect lot of us who played it are also colored by knowing how...

This is pretty much exactly what's going on, and honestly it's kind of unfortunate for the people who haven't seen this game before.

A lot of people have severe trouble not injecting pre-concieved notions into the topic of discussion.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The way the game works for most of it, if your demons die by HP damage you have messed up and 30% extra HP will not save you.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

freshlybaked posted:

"Mem is the 13th letter of the Hebrew alphabet, and Aleph is of course the first." This makes me imagine it's name is shortened to initials. If translated to English, could we call them T.J. or something, I wonder.

MA.

As in Mother.

Probably intentional.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I can answer this one.

In Japan, the word for frog is "kaeru".

Like how you have the color red and the word read, the word for frog and the word for "to return" sound the same in Japan, but are written differently. In other words, it's an untranslatable Japanese pun.

The burning part is just referring to her legend as a fire-starter. Something may have gotten mixed up either in Atlus' understanding of her story or in translation of the line.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 1, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I'm not seeing where the hypocrisy or deception is.

I could understand if Zelenin expressed objection to the MK Gun, but I don't recall such. The closest thing was her saying that it indicated that there was a lack of trust between human beings.

Also, the game mechanics and interface treat Humans identically to demons as well. They even have correct alignments, like if I recall properly Jack's Squad is all Dark-Neutral. So I'm not sure you want to use that sort of meta-reasoning. In addition, non-angel demon races also make the differentiation.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 20, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Hunt11 posted:

It's actually kind of funny that it was the law hero who accepted the fusion just for the sake of power whilst it was the chaos hero who only made the choice in a desperate bid to protect an ally.

It would, be, except...

quote:

But there's no doubt that [Jimenez] made his decision to become more powerful.

They made the decision for the exact same reasons, under different circumstances.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Robindaybird posted:

And there is a hypocrisy between deciding it's okay to completely subvert someone's mind or it's horrible solely base on their source - what's the difference between a machine your higher ups secretly smuggle in, or magic by a group who decide they know what's better for you - neither one asked you if it's okay to alter your thought patterns.

Again, what you're describing did not happen. All Zelenin said on the subject was that it indicates the low level of trust that the higher-ups had for their fellow human beings. The implication is that humans should be able to trust other humans.

That kind of statement no longer applies when the source is no longer human. Come now.

That, by the way, is the entire point of the Jack's Squad interlude: the fact you can't trust humans not to turn on each other. Notice how very few characters cared very much about the demon experimentation.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 20, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dragonatrix posted:

Since it's been brought up already, Nocturne is even weirder though because it has like 7 endings; 1 Law (Shijima), 1 Chaos (Yosuga) and the rest are all Neutral. Remember, alignment is not a flat binary; it's based on context. And within the context of the Vortex World, the True Demon Ending is very much a Neutral path.

The Vortex World has no concept of Law/Chaos/Neutral period, just Light/Dark. By that logic it's pointless to talk about alignment if that's all we're considering.

Within the context of SMT1 and 2...All Reason endings are Law. We know this because Kagutsuchi is A-OK with all of them.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

GeneX posted:

The pragmatic and intelligent answer is to kill the exceedingly non-loyal force brainwashed by a likely-unaligned former friend, because they're liable to become enemies whether brainwashed or not

This reasoning is flawed, because it also applies to the demons who you are dealing with. I point out they have already demonstrated non-loyalty to Maya herself.

The entire point is that this is a setup where you are not allowed to choose a "pragmatic and intelligent" answer.

If you kill the humans, you have the demons to deal with as potential enemies down the line.

If you neuter the demons, you have the humans to deal with as potential enemies down the line.

That all said, it's not clear why we can't simply kill Grendel on the spot to break the seal if the song would work...

...wait a minute. I reject this false choice.

3: Kill Grendel.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 21, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

freshlybaked posted:

Come now, the LPer gave you two options so we ought to play along.

We're talking about a game series where this courtesy is not even given to the creator of the universe.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Hunt11 posted:

That's because the creator is an rear end in a top hat.

🛋️

Tell me more about your relationship with your father.

---

In seriousness, Dragonatrix can simply ignore that kind of vote if he wanted, but the irony of that being approved of would be funny.

Especially if it is an actual option the game doesn't make explicit. I honestly do not recall so and have to look up a guide.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 21, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Oh, doing the best ending first? Ballsy, but it will make the rest of the LP kind of lackluster.

I hope you surprise me by not doing what I expect by not rewinding back to Neutral next update, but we'll see!

Gore is easy after you know his Power Charge->Adaptation trick, because you can stop it by simply using an Attack Mirror.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dragonatrix plays IMAGINE. He has a high tolerance for SMT-related bullshit.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dragonatrix posted:

The official servers have been shut down for a long, long while now; almost been a year since they went down. There is a fan server up and running, kind of; it's very outdated in terms of content provided though. A more up-to-date version (made by more competent people at that) is in progress, at least.

...Excuse me?

Link me all the details. ALL THE DETAILS.

I hope they were smart enough to spread the cash shop gear across monster drop tables.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Honestly it would be so simple to fix up.

Making cash shop gear accessible, lifting the expertise cap so you weren't forced to make a character just for smithing that was worthless for everything else...

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Samael posted:

There is a fan-made server in the works but actually competent people and they have gotten to the stage where character models and skills are working, I can imagine it would take another 6 months to actually see it up and running. I know a lot of people in charge of it and they know their stuff - but essentially they are building the entire game from the ground up using the remnants of data that has been given to them via the people using the chinese server and data that is given clientside, it's a miracle they even got this far.

I'm happy to make a effort post on why the SMT MMO is amazing/terrible since not a lot of people played beyond going through the slow-rear end starting areas and not getting anywhere end-game (LOL endgame, I made myself chuckle just writing that) and such.

My hopes up for nothing... alas.

Sure, I want to see the post.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Honestly my big problem with Expertise was that there's a cap to it.

I wasn't sure how to tell someone interested in the game that all those status-inflicting Guard skills of all three categories were a waste of expertise points.

With no cap I could have told him to go hog wild. But those skills were just tremendously worthless.

Then there's the grinding you had to do for Blacksmith, and how if you wanted to do it you better have a Fairy demon out OR ELSE.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 9, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I don't understand mixed characters I have to confess.

I thought the way to build there was to pick your damage stat and tell every other stat, including HP, to just gently caress off since everything will basically oneshot you later anyway.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I still think Riot Gun Copy's attack powers was typoed or something and is meant to be 500.

It's supposed to deal so-called "Severe" damage like Riot Gun does.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 13, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That's true of absolutely every route.

Note also that the ending does not actually say everyone else was killed - only returned to a shapeless existence... whatever that is supposed to mean. It's unusual in that one would expect them to be more blunt. I'm going to assume they all turned into Unknowns.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 14, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

freshlybaked posted:

I just chalk that up to one of those SMT things that can't be helped.

If we were really absolutely weighing which one was 'not as bad' between Law and Chaos, then I guess I'd pick the former too. I just think it's weird when someone talks of it like it's something to be cheery about. Especially when it seems like Strange Journey itself doesn't seem to be trying all that hard to sell you that 'at least some good has come of this'.

I point out that we already have an example of what happens to people affected by the hymn, and they don't exactly seem unhappy with it.

Just think of it as an ending in which you are high 24/7, which if it were presented as such would probably cause opinion to flip into "OH YEAH I WANT THIS" immediately, hah.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

quote:

Stockholm syndrome is considered a "contested illness," due to many law enforcement officers' doubt about the legitimacy of the condition.[4]

Oops.

Stockholm syndrome is about as valid as the concept of the midlife crisis. It was made up after the fact to neatly explain, funny enough, a "lack of" submission to authority.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 14, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

And there are some who would make the argument that psychotherapy is getting clients to do that and think they came up with it. Just because you attach strong words to it does not make it so.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Doesn't seem to work on everyone, judging from the ending. Rather unfortunate, that.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I recall that the general idea of hell involves suffering. I don't see that on display - seems to be quite the opposite.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Sounds to me like humans are pretty ungrateful to this god, seeing as how he apparently was the reason they became the dominant species. Typical!

Though it does explain why neither Law nor Chaos actually likes humans. We're apparently backstabbing opportunists.

Of course the entire premise of this situation makes absolutely zero sense in general, because it's not clear how the god could have beaten the Mothers the first time around if he was powered by belief.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 20, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's not actually Metatron... and yet kind of is. Anyway, he says so himself that he's just taking his form.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 20, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gabriel is even chiller, actually. Just gave absolutely no drat about anything in SMT2.

Also, that makes more sense than SMT cosmology does most of the time, so.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

This is similar to, say, Vyce in Tactics Ogre, honestly. Sudden personality swap depending on the path in order to force someone to be an enemy. Mastema is an obvious case.

We've already seen another one: Jimenez on any other path would not be OK with the stunt he pulled to take over the Red Sprite.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Robindaybird posted:

Mastema was always pretty shady, even when he's nice towards the player, he's kind of condescending about it, and does nothing to alleviate Zelenin's fears but rather bolster them with the 'you can trust me and only me'.

Your memory is questionable. She straight up asks him if the crew is tainted and this is his answer:

Again, this is not difficult. Suddenly swapping someone's personality or making them do something out of character when you need to make them an opponent is a common strategy when you have multiple routes. They kind of had to put somebody in that room and justify it, for reasons we will shortly see.

---

Also, we literally just saw what was meant by "returning to formless existence". They turned into Unknowns.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I'm not exactly the only person on the Internet to have pointed out it's not in-character, if I recall.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Would you say that some people need to just... chill? :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Hmm? That was your whole point. The question is whether he was lying the whole time or if it was a character switch that is never hinted at anywhere else.

Considering we are talking about a series infamous for that sort of sudden character shift... do I really need to spell it out?

• Locked thread