Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

cravius posted:

I could care less about Kapernick but going from pariah to hero for protesting the flag of all things is pretty funny.

Kapernick has always been cool, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I still prefer Parm's posting to AAC.

And if I were a Broncos fan, I'd prefer Kap to Trevor Siemian.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Spoeank posted:

CURT SCHILLING FUCKIN DELIVERED

what if neither bother me, meme-maker. what then.

is that checkmate.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

A woman I work with said "That blind side kid got raised by whites and he's respectful but I guess you can't save them all"

It was a really nice moment while I tried to eat my lunch. Glad I work here.

A big fan of Rudyard Kipling, I take it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Good grief.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

blue squares posted:

Its a loving amazing class with over 500 people enrolled and another 100 on the waitlist. We talk about all the ways that white america has systematically hosed over black people since slavery ended

Shame it's not during the summer so you can have a baller Juneteenth.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Whoops, I thought I was logged in as Lord Waffle.

You implied non-Twelves are people. Fraud detected.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Ross Angeles posted:

Except at football

Can't win them all.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

A million dollars to ease America's wounded heart? So he thinks the American eagle is a common whore. Disgusting.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

The fun part is that Collin is protesting the way MLK would. In fact, he's being way tamer.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

sam bradford lmao posted:

hot take: with the exception of my tff bros and irl friends white people are objectively dogshit garbage. i will regret this post tomorrow morning #drunk

I can't disagree with this.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

By giving to private charities, Kap delays the transition from late stage capitalism to true communism where the state cares for all. Encouraging alternative means than the state's largess in effect decreases the power of the average person and empowers a society governed by corporations as opposed to the public. He's scum.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Teacher unions are getting hosed everywhere, but cop unions get to pretend they're going to get lynched and threaten city mayors and be general pieces of poo poo with no repercussions.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

cravius posted:

Until you need them lmao

That one therapist dude needed cops, got a bullet in him instead. Stellar work from our people in blue.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

cravius posted:

Statistically you have a better chance of being struck by lightning than killed by a cop

Oh, does lighting disproportionately strike black people too? Hmmm, good comp.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Thank goodness someone is finally doing something about the Green Bay, WI crime problem.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Comparing a person not standing up during the National Anthem to a September 11th is very proportional, I'll tell you what.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

The game is on September 11 doofus

Well, of course it is, the September 11th that is Seahawks kneeling. This wouldn't have happened under Bush.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

I always do because I'm an American

Post your birth certificate.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Madcosby posted:

Why ask people to do what the buildings couldnt?

hot drat

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What I love about this is the stunning dissonance between word and action

"I agree with his issues, but I do not think his method of protest was appropriate"

*sets jersey on fire*

Pyromania is a helluva drug.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Spoeank posted:

Wow I had no idea this Dax host had such terrible opinions

We know who his one black friend is, at least.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

v2vian man posted:

I agree with you guys and all but I think the Brooks and Isola takes are much more harmful in this discussion than Newton. The sheer number of loving idiots out there is depressing

Yeah, Cam's attempting to protect his interests, which isn't particularly brave but whatever. Brooks and Isola aren't in danger of losing their jobs if they side with Kaepernick, they just decide against him to further other really awful people's interests.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Mandrill, I don't really know how genuine you're being here (I have heavy doubts), but the reason Michael Brown gets mentioned more than, say, Eric Garner is more based on regionalism than necessarily the conduct of the person in question. Yeah, Staten Island is heavily white from all I know, but you have situations in St Louis (heavily black but not empowered), Baltimore (heavily black but not empowered), and now Charlotte (heavily black but not the most empowered, apparently). So it focuses on how these are cultural problems, problems that distill down the police and create inequalities. There's also just a "first person past the mark" focus on it - Michael Brown overshadowed Garner because he was initial.

Anyway, hope the African-American players on the Panthers come out in shirts that say, "Hi! Please don't shoot me!" tomorrow.

Also, my favorite spun stat is "Cops kill more white people than black people!" when, if you look at the numbers, black deaths account for, like, a third of the deaths, and last I checked, uh, black people didn't make up a third of America's population.

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 24, 2016

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Taking soldiers deaths (maybe sorta if we stretch it and lie) for granted is positively NOT OKAY.
Taking black peoples' deaths for granted by assuming a public protest should be hidden... is patriotic.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Spoeank posted:

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/781307560657838080
thanks Obama

Did this year just loving break everyone's brains.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

weird Asian candy posted:

And yet you feel you know better than they do having never stepped foot in their shoes.

I also love that you called them pigs when it's probably a very safe bet you have never had any interaction with police involving more than a speeding ticket or traffic accident. Dem pigs tho, amirite?! gently caress tha police! Such a hot take!

I think when much of the military world, many in the martial arts world, many in the negotiation world, and many (behind closed doors, lest they piss on the shield) cops even look at this poo poo and laugh in a halting, horrified manner that we should probably do something about the poo poo training these cops get.

Of course, it goes back to the frailty of many professions, most notably the priesthood with the child sexual abuse scandals, in that there's a bad shortage. Lost in the "just bad apples, them" argument is that it's a little hard to stick by that when you're constantly recycling the bad apples back into the cart once their rotten spots have been noticed, just making sure it's a cart on a different street.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

weird Asian candy posted:

What's (not) funny about this article, is that there has been a militarization of local law enforcement happening for many years, with many up and coming officers being prior military...so where is the disconnect?

Too many marines going into the police force instead of the more sane members of the military. Also, PTSD that gets glossed both by military and police in order to fill ranks. My guesses, anyway, that can probably be blasted out of the water.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Turns out when you use the thesaurus function on "arrogant," you also get "uppity," really makes you think.

Kaepernick is just continuous proof that all our heroes, from Obama to RBG, are poo poo. #7tormscoming

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

v2vian man posted:

i just recently learned that gluten is the reason my bowels act like the drat browns run defense

Your intestines are protesting the deep systemic injustices in policing, and also that too much bread is in our diets.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Also, RGB admitted she didn't necessarily know what she was talking about and shouldn't have commented on the Kaepernick situation, so... there's that, at least.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I'm just glad that my team, the Tennessee Titans, has never made news for shaming a black quarterback over personal expression.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I understand how Kap feels because I felt pretty disenfranchised and I'm not even a minority. But there's still downticket races, even in California, and propositions, and simple fact is, vote is speech. Passing up speech is passing up a chance to protest, and I figure if you're going to kneel, you need to kneel with your vote to and make it as loud as possible, even if it's a vote of no confidence in both systems.

So, I understand his cynicism, but disagree heartily without demonizing him as an idiot or anything like that. He's reckoning with his identity. We all are. It's not something that ends with, "Trump bad, racism bad," that's for drat sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

-would be slightly better than a white nationalist, and you'd be rubber stamping that as the only bar the Democrat candidate needs to clear, yeah.

But this does cause a problem of, "Okay, you kneel to protest the flag, but the point of a protest is to prompt change, and what would change your mind and make you stand again," which has always been a bit of a hole for Kap's logic. He's never really outlined any demands, and then by throwing away his vote, he's crossing out one more avenue of change. The question now is, "Kap, what do you want?" And the only way laws get passed in this country (not proposed and all that, but passed) is through voting.

I very specifically showed up to the polls to vote down ticket. It's important.

• Locked thread