Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuck_Mulligan
Aug 25, 2016
Just finished this book not too long ago. While I've read nautical books before, I found this one to be pretty unforgiving with the terminology, and I was a little lost in the jargon towards the end (what the gently caress are shears? Scissors?). Overall, pretty good read, though it did seem to unravel towards the latter half. What do you think? Can anyone recommend anything else by London that isn't White Fang or Call of the Wild?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
Martin Eden
Before Adam
The Road
John Barleycorn
The Star Rover
The Iron Heel

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Sea Wolf is good and iirc there's this cool gay subtext running through it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cuck_Mulligan posted:

(what the gently caress are shears? Scissors?)

you're on the internet, look it up: http://www.seatalk.info/cgi-bin/nau...ew+Records&nh=7

quote:

Term: shear (n)
Definition: A hoisting rig for unshipping a mast employing two spars joined at the top from which the tackle is suspended. From the term shears, meaning like scissors.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cuck_Mulligan posted:

Can anyone recommend anything else by London that isn't White Fang or Call of the Wild?
http://london.sonoma.edu/writings/StrengthStrong/invasion.html :)

But seriously, you should check out Kipling's short stories.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I have an ancient copy of Smoke Bellew, and found it to be pretty good, typical Jack London Klondike stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

London is kind of under appreciated as the 7th grade mandatory reading guy. Interesting adventurer and insanely prolific writer.

• Locked thread