Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EX250 Type R posted:

that was the megathread that was sent to byob or whatever where their mods probated and banned a bunch of people for months old posts made while the thread was still in GBS right?

Yeah they got really pissy about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The thing to remember about MMA is that it is still a sport. This is most obvious when you see people turning around and showing the back of their head to their opponent, who doesn't take that opportunity to inflict massive injury on them (hits to the back of the head are not allowed).

I'm not really sure what Ninja VS MMA fighter is supposed to prove when a 'real' ninja or whatever would probably immediately try to gouge your eyes out.

The most 'effective' moves are often also illegal moves in MMA because effective fighting is about disabling your opponent by any means necessary as fast as possible.

illegal moves:
groin shots
small joint manipulation
joint breaks without allowing opponent to submit
eye gouges
fish hooking
biting
"rabbit" punches
strikes to the back of the head
grabbing clothing
"spiking"
throat strikes
trachea strikes
ear ripping

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 30, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Booblord Zagats posted:

Thanks for that explanation, Moridin, I know many of us were thinking these were death matches and planning on showing up with a net gun and a tazer to become grand champions, but you saved us the embarrassment

I'm just saying idk wtf these people jerking off over 'Ninja vs MMA' are thinking

MMA is not representative of real fighting at all; it's a sport

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the downward elbow is also illegal even though Ong Bak makes it look baller as gently caress

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

Ninjas were a bunch of pussies who couldn't do poo poo without sucker punching people or using weapons, from behind

massive fuckin dorks of the martial arts world

yeah maybe. I don't think there are any 'real' ninjas left anyway aside from maybe like 20 people passing down the scrolls or whatever.

still I'm just saying, it's a cool sport but it's still a sport so that's why the ground takedown game is so effective. it is easier to get on top of someone when you're not worried about them bashing your nuts open, or you're not worried about missing their head and slamming your ungloved fist into the concrete or whatever

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i watched some history channel thing where they interviewed some dude who had been keeping the ancient scrolls or whatever it was p cool

he talked about how they would sneak around japanese castles and poo poo and put paper in their mouths so their breath would go out sideways rather than forward so as to not alert someone they are about to stab or whatever with their breath

they did well for a while because their lands were all ninja trapped and stuff so it was hard to invade them but then eventually Tokugawa had enough and wrecked their poo poo

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not saying takedowns aren't effective, I'm just saying the rules of the sport make it such that takedowns and the ground game are the better strategy most of the time even though irl they might not be so that's why people often have the complaint of 'this is just hugging and takedowns.'

To be honest the initial lunge or whatever it is called most of them do would be immediately met with a downward elbow to the back of the head from someone who isn't just some random drunk idiot getting slammed into the ground. Crazy illegal to do in the ring but not hard to pull off when they are shooting at your waist.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the best technique is to just run away

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

Welll, it's illegal to strike right above the neck but you can still elbow the poo poo out of people, like this;

It's extremely hard to pull off though, that guy is only one of very few to do it

It's hard to pull of what Travis Browne did, which was do that and still be within the MMA rules which specifically bans “striking downward using the point of the elbow.”

And yeah a lot of people were wondering if that was legal when that happened. The ruling was that because he was leaning and it wasn't straight down, it was fine. Kind of a judgement call on the part of the ref.

He's just good at using it.

You're still also barred from striking a specific zone on the back of the head/neck aside from that.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 30, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
but to be clear his use of the elbow is pretty controversial and a lot of people want to rewrite the rule so that it is more specific.

Wamdoodle posted:

A real fight is fuckin dirty.

yeah, that's all I'm trying to get at

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
nah, not more than anyone else I suppose

I tone it down a lot irl though SA is kinda my venting zone

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a retard posted:

the only reason downward elbow strikes are illegal in mma is that an old lady from the nevada athletic commission saw a video of a mcdojo guy breaking cinder blocks with his elbow and she actually thought that was real so when the rules were written up she specifically requested that "downward elbows are banned" be put in there

actually a bunch of doctors and MMA people got together when writing the rules and decided they were crazy dangerous strikes

thanks tho

quote:

The meeting consisted of representatives of a number of major MMA organisations including Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), Pride Fighting Championships and International Fighting Championships (IFC) as well as doctors and referees in New Jersey, United States. In the meeting, doctors raised concerns about 12-6 elbows after seeing an IFC match where 12-6 elbows were used to the back of a fighter's head. One doctor argued that they could be life-threatening, and refused to sanction any set of rules that didn't prohibit them.[3]

McCarthy argued that the rules already prohibited strikes to the back of the head and questioned if it was just the 12-6 elbow strike that was the problem. Following this discussion, Nick Lembo wrote the Unified Rules, including a rule prohibiting downward elbow strikes.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it also mentioned that descendants of ninjas are actually looked down upon in Japan bc ninjas are dishonorable or whatever

dumbo Japanese lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Keg posted:

How is this a real opinion? lmao

how is "MMA is a sport not real fighting" a real opinion?

idk how are you so fuckin dumb

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

proof of concept posted:

I didn't think I'd be reading a passionate defense of anti-grappling by someone who actually believes in it in 2016, but here we are.

Life sure is full of surprises sometimes!

dude all i'm saying is going for the grapple irl will result in an elbow to the back of your head if the person you are trying to grapple knows what they are about lol idk why that's so controversial to you goon lords

there's a reason the 12-6 elbow is banned

LegoPirateNinja posted:

wasnt there a black dude with relatively little training who used to get people on the ground and jackhammer their heads with his elbow? he caused serious concussions in everyone he beat and did serious damage to himself in the process. i thought that was why they banned it.

dunno i'm not super well versed in mma history but it wouldn't surprise me sounds like some IFC before they unified the rules poo poo to me

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
look just watch some actual Muay Thai champions from Thailand who are just starting to realize MMA is a thing fight, they push people's poo poo in

just watched some dude try to shoot and take a knee to the face for his trouble

e: dejdamrong sor amnuaysirichoke

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 30, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

proof of concept posted:

This is probably a dumb idea but I'm actually going to respond to you in good faith: you're missing the point of those videos entirely. It doesn't matter how many super deadly mortal kombat fatality techniques you know if you can't land them on someone who is not only trying to avoid them but is also trying to hurt you right back. And it's pretty hard to get good at something you can't practice under those conditions without injuring your training partner. So in all of those "ninja vs. an actual athlete who intends to gently caress up his poo poo" videos the ninja dudes always get their faces pounded in because their training regiment of cosplay, larping and reading revisionist history doesn't magically give them the power to ploink someones eyes out like they're in a three stooges movie, and surprise surprise it doesn't magically give them any conventional wrestling/punching skills to fall back on when their secret techniques fail them either.

ninjas are dumb yeah. I'm not saying they aren't.

I'm saying MMA dudes are idiots for putting a "ninja" in a ring with an MMA fighter and going 'see MMA fighters are better than anyone else' because in reality MMA is a sport that has little to do with actual fighting for life or death and a lot of the things that the sport will let you get away with in a ring can result in getting injured badly against someone who really wants to hurt you and doesn't care about fighting rules.

e: hence why I said real 'ninja' in the quotes

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 30, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
like bro when they're grappling on the ground trying to get advantage and their hand is 2 inches away from the person's nut sack? in a "real" fight they'd grab that poo poo and squeeze/tear as hard as possible and now gl grappling them anymore lol

i really dunno why you guys have to make what I say into something else. I'm not defending "ninjas" at any point here.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i wanna see a show where MGTOWers have to fight MMA women

entice them by offering $50k if they win the fight and get the ones who are just like 'lol no woman can defeat me' and then let us watch them get annihilated

:catstare:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hitchensgoespop posted:

Attention Thread: I am an actual MMA champion. I've fought hundreds of ninjas both in the octagon and in vicious street fights. I've never once lost.
Mordin knows little of what he talks about, I'm living proof of that.

hitchens nuts go pop more like :D

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

Best Rousey video is the one in which she throws the fat martial arts nerd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXvIjk8YJtI

this was pretty great

she seems chill and it seems like everyone is too easily trolled by mean tweets idk

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stealth Tiger posted:

Sacred ninja techniques like "punching a dude in the nads" were perfectly legal in the early UFC's and those were all still won by Jiu Jitsu guys or wrestlers. Literally the only guy who managed to lose a fight from ball strikes was the guy who played Random Task in Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0q2wekqrP0

however that notwithstanding here's a video of illegal nut shots where the dude's immediately go 'oh nooooooo' and fall over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ilOGqH13mI

that 3rd guy is about to loving puke lmao

e: lol at the flying somersault kick into the dude's nuts at 2 mins holy poo poo

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 30, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fire Barrel posted:

Was crazy to watch some of those matches, especially when some of those guys came up against people with actual training.

Those are usually my favorite fights.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bro Dad posted:

reminder that american rednecks invented the most hardcore fighting sport known to man:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gouging_(fighting_style)

quote:

many mischievous and ill disposed persons have of late, in a malicious and barbarous manner, maimed, wounded, and defaced, many of his majesty's subjects

:catstare:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a retard posted:

homeschooling isn't a bad idea if you know what you're doing

i feel like this is a very large 'if'

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jesus Christ posted:

I had a friend in high school who was a nice enough dude in general but he was home schooled 'til 10th grade and was really into anime and would go on these weird long tangents about how ninjas could totally kick the poo poo out of soldiers with guns and poo poo because ninja powers can slice bullets in mid air if they're even detected and there was something about Saddam for some reason (this was before we owned his rear end) but Moridin what's your stance on arms proliferation in central and south America?

im from buenos aires and i say kill em all

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
actually i never did that

:)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
my argument was more that MMA is a sport and lol at idiots thinking it is a an effective fighting system for real life situations where someone is probably going to try and gouge your eyes or slam your nutsack

the only reason "ninjas" were brought up is bc that's what the video had in it and you people fixate on stupid poo poo namaste

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
^^^^ im not the one that made or posted a jerk off video about how some MMA fighter is totes kicking a "ninjas" rear end

proof of concept posted:

this is just your sad attempt at ninja deception I'd say you need more time in the dojo grasshopper

drat maybe so

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nauta posted:

my argument is that 1.) mma dudes are as capable of gouging eyes or slamming your nutsack as any ninja 2.) most street fights end up in wrestling anyway (unless you manage to ko your opponent in the first seconds of the fight, source: liveleak videos) so your wrong morondin

whatevs dude I've seen enough brash MMA wannabes get their drunk rear end beat to not care namaste

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jonathan posted:

Perhaps people should just concede that secluded martial art styles with heaps of bullshit on top from years of story telling and mysticism are about as effective as ancient chinese remedies.

bruce lee said as much

but I wasn't ever trying to start the TMA is better than MMA argument.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

proof of concept posted:

yeah but ninjas put paper in their mouths so they can breathe sideways, which has many important advantages in a real life situation

idk I just thought it was an interesting little fact from history to spice up posts from mentally ill goons going

NINJA DID YOU SEE HE SAID NJINJA NJINJA NINJA HAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAH NINJA YOU GUYS

just a reminder I'm not the one that posted "check out this MMA dude beat this ninja's rear end :smug: "

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
mostly I was trying to answer someone's question of "why is the ground wrestling game so prevalent in MMA" but you know NINJAS is a trigger word around here apparently

\/\/\/\/ i mean who are you even talking to at this point

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 31, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
say 'ninja' and watch the goons spout 90s jokes

meanwhile, in reality, this is what happens to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGbh7xJIrio

quote:

At one point Falcao is knocked unconscious with a baseball bat and the men still continue the attack, punching, kicking his head and stomping on him several times. Maiquel Falcao and his friend were sent to the hospital with serious injuries.

because being a good fighter in the ring means not much in reality. you can beat up the average drunk schlub at the bar congrats lol. the best technique is still to just run away and/or not be a douche to begin with.

e: skip to about 40 seconds in to see some dude creep up from the back and hit him with a baseball bat

\/\/\/\/ i just have this issue where i can't stop responding to people idk what it is really

my taint has been through a lot

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 31, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
apparently ninjas were all into firearms and arquebuses from europe n poo poo so in all likelihood they probably would have just shot you

ninja :synpa:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
where do you get off claiming you can cut through plate armor you phony

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jonathan posted:

That video doesn't really show anything against mma or anything. If there is a bunch of people with clubs, you probably aren't going to win any fight unless you have a machine gun or a bear suit.

ah but my point is that real life is not a ring and you're not going to really get the opportunity to show of your sick mma skills before you get wrecked so just better not act a fool irl because you won some MMA fights

cuz you never know when that dude you're messing with's friend is gonna creep up like Eazy E and his Louisville slugger

really all this just stems from my minor annoyance at the MMA dudes in that vid and in the comments going "haha see MMA is the ultimate fighting art"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
just for you ROFLburger, I will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

evobatman posted:

Somebody put way too much work into this.

yeah that seems like some skillful shopping to get done with one hand

• Locked thread