Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Problem description: If I tap the desk too hard, or bumb my feet into when standing up, my computer makes all teh monitor shut off. The computer still hums, the music will still play, but there is no way to get the monitors to receive signal. So technically, the monitors aren't "off", they just don't receive signal.

Attempted fixes: I've replugged everything, made sure my GPU is hooked in properly and nothing is lose inside.

Recent changes: Not any that come to mind, computer did this months ago, then suddenly stopped, now resuming again.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64

System specs: 16GB Memory, GTX 970, 3570k,

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

It doesn't seem like a system hardlock, since music will stay on for example. I haven't sat around and listened for minutes to find out if it stops at some point, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I know you said you checked but that sounds exactly like your videocard isn't fully secured so is losing connection to the slot when you bump the system. I'd remove the videocard and reseat it securely i the slot, making sure to screw it in above both slot covers and to flip up the lever that holds it in the slot.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Alereon posted:

I know you said you checked but that sounds exactly like your videocard isn't fully secured so is losing connection to the slot when you bump the system.

I took it out, reslotted it and screwed the screw gently caress tight. It doesn't really move at all, though I've thought of the same, still.

warcraft_boyfriend_99
Aug 12, 2007

by Pragmatica
to eliminate a gpu / slot problem, can you toss the video card into another slot temporarily? how do you have the monitors connected? dvi / displayport / hdmi? If it still goes off when put into another slot, i would try replacing cabling next... there could be a short.

• Locked thread