Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

KAISER TRILLHELM

Yea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Well the new main menu screen seems alright at least and the music is cool

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
First map. Can't spawn with any weapons or equipment all match but I jump on the artillery and pull the trigger after I've been shot and killed, resulting in me blowing up a tank. Ten out of ten

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Overall not bad but I'd rather see another map before making a final call. Infantry combat feels better compared to bf4 except I feel you move a little slow. Vehicles are not as prevalent but still drat strong which is good for tank whores like me. Having a group on comm with the heavy tank was hilarious and pretty much unstoppable. Still need to get more time in the air but the self repair means it will probably be easy to dominate if you are a good flyer. Plus dive bombing is easy kills.

Game has moved from my "wait until price drop" to "first week of reviews are good" (because never preorder)

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Thought they got it from the local guy who they traded to car to. Makes sense he'd have something outdated on hand as a valued weapon; likely a hand me down from British colonialism or a second hand buy

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Schroeder91 posted:

No one throws medic or ammo bags and I've never been revived and I'm level 22. Definitely starting to think you need some friends to play with for this BF.

Welcome to the series

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I've probably spent more time playing sniper in this than I have in bf3&4 combined because it's good shooty feels to run around with the unscoped bolt action rifle

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Yea that's the one. It's pretty quick on the bolt pull and kills in two shoots. Very accurate as well.

Dice pls give me a bolt action on the medic and a Mauser c96 sidearm and I'll buy your game

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
24-0 with the light tank. Top of the score board with only 3 or 4 caps. Would have wrecked more if the tank controls weren't so crappy :human being:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I don't like the battlefront style vehicle choosing I think. Is there anywhere for us to give feedback on this beta? Or are they just going to continue patching based on who cries loudest on Reddit per previous games

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Chalupa Joe posted:

Is that the thing where you can't change the weapons on vehicles unless there are free ones at the spawn? Because that's dumb as hell.

I hope they leave the ability to change FOV settings in, not having that blindspot just off to the side is a game changer.

Yes, plus I would rather have set vehicle types per a side rather than picking your vehicle model every spawn. Even though dice is dumb at balance and does crap like one side with three planes and the other with just an aa vehicle. Also I like stuff spawning at the points instead of only appearing if you sit on spawn screen and pick it

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Flamethrower pick up kit is amazing for defending rush points. Also it's hilarious to preserve a tank as an attacker past where the defenders get tanks of their own. Easy kills and nothing they can do if you stay out of grenade range

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
27-0 with the artillery version of the light tank on rush. I joined at the second set of telegraphs so I know I can do better. The artillery version is very strong against armor and personnel. You also get a machine gun and a smoke screen for escape. There's also a quick repair ability on a cool down that will heal you for twenty so I was able to just run away from anyone trying to kill me. I think I prefer it to the normal version.

Only downside is the main gun has some serious drop so you have to aim pretty high even at close targets.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
On conquest there is an anti tank rifle pick up at E that is very strong. The artillery guns do solid damage as well but they can't be repaired so I just destroy them straight away when I'm tanking.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Has anyone tried using the flamethrower variant of the land ship yet? Seems like it would
be terrible but hilarious

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Beastie what day is Amazon showing you for delivery? Just occurred to me today to buy it on Amazon since I have prime and it's telling me delivery next Monday. (Standard edition not preorder)

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
That's my plan. If they can't deliver on Friday lll just pick one up from a local store and cancel the Amazon order

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Just like game graphics during the 1910s...

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Infantry combat is great, the best it's been in the series in a while. Not a fan of the vehicle spawn system or the small number of vehicles either

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Mail, flanker variant on the light tank is the closest to lav equivalent. Gun has fifteen rounds with quick reload, good against infantry. However it's useless against armor. Luckily pubbie tanks are still pretty bad so I've been able to just run away.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
This rotating medal requirement and by the way only progress on one at a time is lame as gently caress. Honestly probably not going to bother because I can't be assed to wait for the slow menus to load so I can change medals every time I change game modes or class type. Just gonna continue being a tank whore.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
So many medic related tears on the internet regarding revives. I may switch out my needle for rifle nade just out of spite.

On the subject of tanks, holy hell they nerfed the artillery light tank from beta. It doesn't kill infantry even with a direct hit and splash damage is negligible. It's strong against armor but the reload time is very slow. I had a heavy tank disabled and one hit from destruction but it popped its quick repair and drove off because I was waiting so long to reload. The machine gun is also weak against infantry. Seems like the flanker is the only viable option for light tanks

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
The second post is the caboose

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Last night skater and I were the rush attackers on fao. Our team went into the hills and sniped the entire time. Only got a single plant which was immediately defused. 10/10 snipers aren't bad you guys.

Also learned only one criteria on a medal can be met at a time, as I got ten kills in one life but only got credit for getting ten kills in a round and not five kills in one life also. gently caress medals

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Parkingtigers posted:

I... like the goofy medal system. I do get the agony of choice because I know I'll likely not get all 5 in a week (got 2 the first week), and choosing which one to go for each time. I know I need 15 stationary gun kills, so I choose that, then I get a bunch of headshots I could have fracked for another medal and I'm kicking myself. Etc etc.

But ultimately this is just a long term set of goals to tick off. I've got the plat, trophies are done. I'll get my class ranks up to 10 along the way, and buy all the guns as I level. That'll just happen. The codex (which is still glitchy) is pretty easy and getting 10 kills for each weapon (across all variants no less) is peasy. So what is there for my long-term OCD? Dog tags and medals. 100 kills with each weapon is doable, just a matter of spending a long time with each gun. But the medals are specific "do this poo poo, in this order, before next week". That's an optional focus I can get behind.

I fully understand why and how others will hate this. But for me, who usually gets bored of MP shooters after 5 minutes, having things to tick off is one more answer to the "why am I shooting the mans?" question. (I don't NEED it, I play this game and Battlefront a lot because of the setting and the feeling of being in a battle that creates its own story. In other games I would need it, here it's just a bonus.)

I played a bit of BF 3 and 4, the ribbons just seemed to be spit out at me almost randomly as I did stuff. They were never a goal, or a tangible sense of accomplishment for the most part. They were just... there.

Ok, I know I'm possibly in a minority liking these medals, but just wanted to throw it out there so when you're wondering who the gently caress thinks this is a good idea, you can remember me and think "oh yeah, THAT guy".

These are the equivalent of 3 and 4's assignments rather than medals and ribbons.

Edit: also, even disregarding the weekly time limit, making each medal and even each individual medal criteria track separately is clearly a way to artificially encourage more play time.

FastestGunAlive fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 28, 2016

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Lemme just mark this enemy for my team mates to kill and then I will use the chat to let them know I need help

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Finger Prince posted:

Just saw this on imgur

A good use of an airplane.

I am going to do this next time I see friendly snipers on that

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I've been playing mostly rush (though they need to up the player count a bit) and a little bit of conquest because operations needs some balance tweaking.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Beastie posted:

Patch Wishlist:
    Buff spotting, I have to mash it 5 times just to spot a tank.

Remove interior repairs for ground vehicles.

Editable class load-outs outside of round.

Firing range.

Give Support and/or Scout tnt. This may be able to override the "vehicles can't internally repair" complaint.

AA can just chew through aircraft, maybe drop the damage a bit.

Kill all wookies.

Good list imo. But if you remove internal repair then I think you need to bring back gradual regen over time.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Bayonet charge is cool as hell but the animation radius for the victim is bull poo poo. I've had several attacks where I definitely had time to unload a shotgun blast or even two into the guys face but I get trapped in the get stabbed animation instead.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Assault's gadgets are very effective against tanks, especially with pubbies being so inept at tanking.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Finally broke away from the flanker light tank to use the artillery truck. It's really good. Long range with a zoom, high damage against armor and infantry. Five rounds with a reasonable reload time. Quick repair ability. Good mobility means you can escape if anyone gets too close. Don't know who balanced the vehicles but seems like there's no reason to not use the arty truck or flanker tank (urban maps)

Though Flamethrower heavy is fun if you have party chat I will say

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Beastie posted:

I was owning dudes with the arty truck yesterday. I think I ran over three dudes in one line.

Plus a ton of other kills.

Stevey and I were murdering with tanks today.

We had a good round on Sinai last night with the flame tank and arty truck going.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Oh you like to long range snipe, Wookiee? Lemme try: http://xboxclips.com/FastestGunAlive/59b810df-80f0-4711-9ed6-ba5b9d2227ed/embed

Also features a stevey cameo

FastestGunAlive fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 1, 2016

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

So is there any point to opening battlepacks if you think skins are stupid?

Yo Mail if you haven't seen my previous posts, use the flanker light tank or default arty truck for armor supremacy

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Zip! posted:

So I've just gotten BF1, I haven't played a BF game or an FPS probably since BF2 or 3.

What are babys first steps for this game? Any classes or guns I should be aiming towards?

Pick the class suited to your style and start shooting people and using your gadgets to help team mates

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I'll need to become your understudy beastie because flying isn't clicking for me yet. I've got a feeling it'll be easy kills once it does but for now it's just frustrating

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Realizes anti rocket gun and demo charges are the way to go

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
drat lovely vehicle spawn system. Yes mr pubbie please drive your lovely heavy tank directly into the enemy spawn on rush then abandon it when it's immobilized so they can have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Does campaign unlock anything for multi? Just started it and it's better than previous battlefields but still standard fps imo