Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Just to be contrary, I vote you Go To Diamond City. It's far enough away to probably get some good atmospheric looting (and fast travel options) on the way and more options will open themselves up.

No strong opinions about difficulty, but please get at least a few varied weapons that you name and strategically cherish forever.

edit: Even oblique references to upcoming quests might be too spoilery. Sorry.

ThaGhettoJew fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

ultrabindu posted:

Is it worth getting the season pass for this game?

I only think of Far Harbor as being important since the locations and story add a bunch of fairly interesting content, but Automatron does has some good stuff if you like fiddling with robots plus a negligible short story bit. Vault-Tec Workshop is blah unless you're in love with making a half-realized vault for yourself and I'm leaning negative about the half of Nuka-World I've seen so far. The other little packs have a bunch of placeable items and some working machinery for [thing] automation.

In short: If you're big into settlement building and personalization, definitely. If not, at least Far Harbor is pretty cool.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
As a They Might Be Giants history nerd, I'd just like to point out that their hit "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" is actually a cover song. The original was by a 50's/60's Canadian vocal group called The Four Lads. :eng101:

No idea about Canada's opinion about the Crown's taxation of tea imports or how they handle mass-murdering Raiders though.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
I voted police station because there's probably some sweet swag available. Cops always have the best stuff.

ultrabindu posted:

[good poo poo]
Noice!

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Btw there is definitely some sort of trap negation that comes after one kills you. I don't know if it's tied to difficulty or game mode or what, but I've seen other people's runs hit that very same diner landmine and thereafter obsessively search the same spot for now nonexistent dangers. It is quite a jerkily hidden trap, though.

Also rodentia facts: Gerbils are fragile little buggers. They're kind of cute, but they're suicidal mayfly soap bubbles.
Also also: Capybara are like 3 feet high and 6 feet long. Should have replaced the school gerbil with one of those. Waaay sturdier.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Cathode Raymond posted:

Dogmeat's the best companion :3:

All the other choices like this, or dislike that. Power armor? Danse likes it! Stealing? Danse doesn't like it. Lock picking? Danse-you know what Danse? Why don't you find your own dog and have your own adventures if you have so many opinions?

Plus you can invest in all the useful Lone Wanderer feat stuff and not have to hear the same handful of voice clips over and over (barks notwithstanding). That said some companions are pretty interesting for specific quests and I'm pretty sure you get some pal-flavored perks for maxing out their favorability. I'd hate to have to try them all out long enough to figure a best-choice story path though.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Do Minutemen missions only if they sound like good fights 'cause they're just the boring goodguy crew, and tell the Brotherhood to go to hell. It's cool they like powerarmor suits and big machines, but that's not a good enough reason to be dicks all the drat time. The Institute are wacky fun times with lazerdroids, but they're kind of lame too. I say put off joining up with anybody for a while.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Archer will do missions for anyone who pays him unless his self-image is on the line. And doing missions for anyone will get access to more gear or cash or settlement pals, plus the precious XP for Archer-related character feats. I don't want to accidentally influence anyone's choices with my smug spoiler-bating game knowledge, so I'm good with anybody for the first few tasks. We won't have to marry any one group (and piss off their rivals) for a while anyway.

dd and ddwife, name your weapons and do more drugs please. Combat drugs own and your guns are your friends who don't bark and interrupt your looting all the time.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

ddegenha posted:

We'll probably have to do some drugs just for the fun of showing what they do - and good point about the gun names. I think that's something we'll talk about a bit as far as what weapons actually need names and what they should be.

See if this gets you started- the pistol you keep two-shotting mooks with I've been thinking of as Two-Buck Chuck and your starter sniper rifle is clearly "Missy". May need some Archer character names too (or Bob's Burgers/Home Movies for additional H. Jon Benjamin hype). Probably only much-used or unique types need it though, since you'll probably come across way too many piles of weapons to care about more than a small percent of them.

I find named weapons make it slightly easier to offload all the random long-named pickups onto companions without mis-clicking my upgraded or favorited ones. It's really more a problem for me because I am a disgusting packrat and am constantly hovering near my carry capacity with trash I think I'll sell or break down later. I've still got Skyrim PCs who've had every available stat boost sent directly to carrying capacity because I just can't not pick up stuff.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
I hate supermutants. They're big HP sacks with terrible loot and bad dialogue. They are a fairly decent combat challenge though.

And I noticed that each time you got that cap stash under the desk it gave you a different number of caps. I guess most loot container types are some kind of per-session RNG instead of based on the character. I've never actually tried save-scumming for particular drops, but that might be possible if you were hard up for a specific material.

Anyway, East first. I like those missions more. And the sniper could be Wesley Snipes, or possibly REM's Michael Snipe. Combat rifle... hmm... McGuirk. Or maybe Nancy's Boy.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Some random stream notes for the random fragments I caught:

All cats are Lickers, really.

Valentine owns robones.

I can't unsee Piper as a pre-Jessica Jones version of Krysten Ritter.

Florida is a hellhole, even the pretty bits. So if you find the magazine that gives you flamingos be sure to do up Sanctuary right.

When you've got big enemies hiding in small places, don't forget your sizeable stash of frag grenades. They're your friendship eggs!

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Although good armor can go a long way on survivability, FashionOut 4 is definitely cool and good and dressing up Archer in location-appropriate disguises is quite in character.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

ddegenha posted:

Alright, I went back and watched the stream and... uh... if any of you are going to watch that, I'd like to apologize for doing my best impression of Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own right there at the end. I didn't think that the microphone would pick that up, and I was wrong. That part is DEFINITELY getting cut out when I post it on Youtube.

I caught a collective 5 minutes of the stream before I had to go meet some people. Guess which minutes.

:ohdear: :blush:

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Sorry about ghosting like that; I've never bothered to made a Twitch account so I can't follow or chat or anything useful for feedback purposes. Just happened to spot the "we're streaming" link in the thread when I was near my desktop and briefly incremented your viewer count. I'll make a bit more of an effort to actually plan and sit down for some scheduled streamstuff instead of just happenstance next time.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Voted Strong because I wanted to see you have to fit him into your busy and occasionally cramped lifestyle. Unless you'd prefer to romance Curie which I would also support.

And going East clearly has the cooler sidequest options, while the lame ole main story can go forget itself up its own tiny forgotten butt.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Man, I was sure the molequest in Vault 81 was going to be more of a problem for you for some reason. CodsworthWoodhouse being bit a few times aside you really VATSed it through like a champ though.

And Marie Curie is most definitely a Madame Curie the nuclear scientist reference. She doesn't do or say anything maidlike or (thankfully) fetishy.

Here are a few Spray n Pray rename suggestions: The Rain of Fire, DeathFaucet, or 33 and a Third on .45

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

ddegenha posted:

:thx:Update 34:thx:

With this episode we're closing out the short pre-move stream, which means the beginning of last night's stream will go up tomorrow. Kendra's mouth has been writing checks that her entire gang's asses can't cash, and we're in the neighborhood to go in search of a beer-brewing robot for another quest. Unfortunately there's a crowded bunch of city streets full of super mutants and gunners, with a nest of raiders at the end who have no idea what they're sitting on top of.
Quoting for the new page.

Kendra's an unfortunate distraction from the real story quest: The beer-brewing robot is the most important thing in the world.
Make it happen and max it out ASAP, please.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

ddegenha posted:

Aww man, now I feel rude for just shooting him out of hand and not letting him finish the entire number.

SUPERMUTANTS: With radroach tread, armor lined with steel;
You'll soon be dead, cause Humans taste like veal.
Here it comes, I'm gonna bash your skull;
Man time is done, Mutants rule the world-

SOLE SURVIVOR: (softly) Some radaway, a can of cram!

SUPER MUTANTS
: How mightily the mutant stalks,
While Mutant hounds go out for walks-

Hu-mans, you hide in vaults,
Your next distinction, will be swift extinction,
We're bigs and you're the smalls, We'll see that your bloodline halts

SOLE SURVIVOR: (softly) A line of sight, I'll check my VATS!

SUPER MUTANT ENFORCER: (distributing implements to various members of the gang)
Here's your hitting board and your mini-nuke,
You're a suicider--you may have to puke,
Take this minigun, don't shoot off your toes,
Watch for our landmines, and your molotovic throws.

SOLE SURVIVOR: A critical!

SUPER MUTANTS: With radroach tread

SOLE SURVIVOR: A headshot crit!

SUPER MUTANTS: You'll soon be dead,

ALL (fortissimo): With radroach tread, armor lined with steel;
Here it comes, I'm gonna bash your skull;
Man time is done, Mutants rule the world-

Hu-mans, you hide in vaults,
Your next distinction, will be swift extinction,
We're bigs and you're the smalls, We'll see that your bloodline halts

With radroach tread, armor lined with steel;

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Since I missed most of it again. I'm not sure if you mentioned it earlier, but the Dunwich Borers isn't the only notable Lovecraft reference in Fallout4. I don't think you've done it this run so I won't go into detail. Pretty different story setup in the game of course, but it's definitely another pretty well-regarded story.

Also I actually managed to make a real twitch account! I did have to spend a couple of hours figuring out that it wouldn't work at all with my usual browser for some ridiculously arcane reason. Hooray technology! Now I just have to catch up with the last video in time to watch the new videos as you post them...

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Thesaya posted:

Oh, and I can't remember if this was mentioned before but that mission is a quite clear reference to the story Pickman's Model by HP Lovecraft. It is quite short and worth a read if you haven't already.

Edit; saw you mentioned it in the stream description. My bad.

Yeah, this was what I was thinking of. Guess you got through it already.

ddegenha posted:

I'm kind of curious what the thought is on DLC - is there a certain point where we should just take a break from the main story and do the DLC? Or should it be treated as post-game content? Right now we've unlocked three DLCs (Automatron, Far Harbor, and the Vault-Tec Workshop) with one more to go. Automatron and the Vault-Tec Workshop both take place in the Commonwealth, but Far Harbor and the final DLC take us outside into special areas. Ideally I'd like to keep going on each DLC once it's started until we finish, rather than going back and forth.

I say do Automatron as soon as you feel the need for a wilderness break and want some higher-level dungeon time. You also might want to wait until you can carry/deal with all the new loot bits your enemies will start to drop everywhere. Far Harbor (and if necessary Nuka-World?) should probably wait until post game since it's/they're so big an area to cover with so many little missions. Vault-Tec doesn't seem like it's that interesting to LP because of all the building stuff, but if Archer needs a secret base I guess he's gotta do what he's gonna do.

And on the subject of cats- wasn't there an early farming settlement (Tenpines Bluff maybe?) that had a bunch of cats wandering around and where the NPC trading mysteriously let you buy cat meat?

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

ddegenha posted:

:thx:Update 51:thx:

We're out of the mines and in search of our agreed upon companion, Piper. Unfortunately she's a bit difficult, but we eventually grab her and head off to Bunker Hill in search of adventure. There's a couple of new quests available, but the lure of the mighty U.S.S. Constitution (drat you, Weatherby Savings and Loan!) is too much to resist so we're off on the Captain's bidding.

I know I said this during the stream, but I freaking love Bosun. Ironsides is pretty good too (and has the same voice actor I think), but Bosun being cranky about his reprogramming and such is sweet as heck. I want to know what happens to the Constitution crew after the ending twist of the mission.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Thesaya posted:

I like the little pause Nancy makes before announcing story time, as if deciding whether or not to include the prefix "rambling" to it and deciding not to.

It's understood.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Power Armor is kind of boring and slow, but you should definitely get some cool paintjobbed sets ready for specific purposes. Like lead-lining for the Glowing Sea or Strength bumps and calibrated shock legs for mass looting trips.

Thesaya posted:

Regarding the Hark! A Vagrant shirt Nancy mentioned at the start at update 64; I own two shirts from her. One is the picture of a victorian couple with the capture "I am excited for someone to invent the tshirt", the other is that very Marie and Pier Curie tshirt.
I am just that nerdy I suppose.
True story: Kate Beaton once had a SA forums account and was subsequently creeped out by/decided to leave because of BSS/GBS bros being weird to her.

We could have had super sweet fat pony grenade avatars or something by now. And think of all the cool Canadianuck history we missed out on! loving goons, man.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Yeah, Schadenfreude is cool I guess. But I'm all about Fremdschämen now. I'm almost embarassed you've never heard of it.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
In Fallout, you gotta drink until the supermutants are your friends and there are enough bullets for everybody to have some.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Not I. The Minutemen are just dull good-doers though. I want to know what brought on this abrupt upswell of support for the psycho powersuit party.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

ultrabindu posted:

The Life and Times of Deacon

A play in three acts.
[sweet big vidpics snip]

Deacon the superspy robutt agent freedom man has only the best survival training and his tradecraft is impeccable.

And I mean I know I do go on about the supremacy of level geometry armor, but I guess NPC plot armor beats it all to hell.

ThaGhettoJew fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 21, 2016

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
I'll likely miss most or all of any streaming tonight due to a Hanukah party, but everybody have a good Kwanzaa etc. anyway!

Thesaya posted:

Most of the risks of cannibalism comes from eating the brain. As long as you leave that alone it's pretty safe.
Human is by the way the only meat I would eat. They are capable of giving consent.

There is a song/poem I love that is apparently just for you, almost exactly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeDLzTObXFY

ultrabindu posted:

Who's voting for Preston?

:argh:

Freakin' monsters out there. You just can't trust voters, I tells ya.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
No idea if I'll be around my computer again by Eve, but I'll check back if I'm here...

And whether it happens or not- Have a Safe and Happy No-Longer-2016, thread.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

ddegenha posted:

I'm thinking a companion piece to Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner.

Headless Roland is going to look mighty silly in a pink ballgown. He's really more of an Autumn.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Well, at least we're through the shark jumping part of the game's story now. We're going to have to start thinking about which factions we want to piss off the most before all heck breaks loose.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

ultrabindu posted:

Those cats are gorgeous. makes me wish I lived somewhere that allowed pets. :kimchi:

Even though we're at the SHOCKING REVELATION part of the game it really feels underwhelming, just like every main quest in Fallout.

Having a emotionally connecting "main" story in such huge, rambling sandboxes is a challenge that the mainline Fallouts can't seem to handle. Having such a shapeless personality as the "Sole Survivor" to stand as our avatar makes it even worse. A stronger or more interesting person, like say in Sleeping Dogs (not Watch_Dogs), helps. Even the voiceless demon-slayer from Doom (2016) has a more accessible personality.

And I've said it before but having either Father or some aspect of the wee babby seanus as part of the story throughout somehow would really keep the player's mind focused on what is supposed to be our main reason for living in the weeks(?) it takes to get to this sort of end-game part of the plot. I could see getting radio broadcasts or finding recordings from failed Sean clones or Father occasionally bringing us back on track.

We really don't have much background for how Father was raised to believe in the Institute and give up on the Commonwealth. And even more basically we never got anything of any depth of who Sean is and why and how much we love him. He's the blank MacGuffin at the end of a quest tunnel we don't even spend a quarter of the game worrying about. And then he's bizarrely replaced by an unemotional/sociopathic technocrat who loves... Science... I guess.

And having rebuilt society into a slightly less on fire wreckage, saved several named people and slaughtered hundreds more unnamed ones, we get to push the big glowing Deus Ex plot-theme buttons and decide how many circuits real people should be allowed to have. We... win?

Still mostly a fun game though.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

ddegenha posted:

:thx:Update 132:thx:

Picking up right where we left off it's time to head into Croup Manor, which is full of ghouls and not much else. Comes complete with a creepy basement full of ghouls and a pre-corpsed ghoul, for all of your ghoul needs. Almost as soon as we're done there Warwick Farms comes under attack and we drop into a firefight for the ages. To close out today it's back to Sanctuary to drop some junk and refit a bit, as well as make a decision on where to take Curie on further adventures.

Vote on our next companion here and vote on our ending here.

A little late to these bonus-stream videos, but that ginormous supermutant fight at the junkyard fence was insane. Like it was supposed to be a set-piece battle for some quest and just ended up being a bunch of miniguns all pointed in the same direction. Congrats on being able to stimpak your way through it while blinded by thousands of bullets.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
I apologize on behalf of all the people who, like me, prefer to lurk in LP threads than contribute in any way to the online discussions. I'm sure your polyposts aren't filling you with a great deal of confidence, but I swear I even watch the videos I don't see on Twitch (eventually).

:shrug:

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Thesaya posted:

I started actually watching Archer today! Almost finished season 1.

It is a good show for quality people. It's a shame Fallout 4's role-playing systems doen't really lend themselves to more fully characterized Archerness.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

ddegenha posted:

Sadly not... the four response buttons where it doesn't actually tell you what you're going to say is kind of limited. The dialogue system that they used in Fallout 1 and 2 would have provided a lot more flexibility, but also wouldn't lend so well to being watched and cut into videos.

One of the subtler and more interesting mods I've seen (for the PC version of course) replaced the dialogue description options with the first sentence of the response you actually give. It made for fewer unpleasant role-play surprises although I suppose it lessened the dramatic suspense of finding out what kind of monster you accidentally made yourself by picking the wrong chat position. No idea if it's available on console versions though.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

ddegenha posted:

So, two pieces of good news. We managed to get last week's stream downloaded so I can do some editing and we're planning to go streaming in about an hour. I'll update this post with a link right before we go live. We're about to go live now.

I have to start checking the thread more often. I keep missing non-Wednesday streams by assuming all of the updates are just the edited YouTube reposts. Well, at least I've got a 3-hour block of video to catch up on until next week now.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

This is, of course, excellent. And he's really going to earn that haunted look hanging out with our Archer.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Cathode Raymond posted:

I just picked up the DLC for this and how do you guys feel about them? Far Harbor is pretty good and robot customization shenanigans are cool but I keep comparing them to the New Vegas DLC and they feel like they fall way short.

My thoughts on the DLC (from last September!), responding to a question about getting the Season Pass:

ThaGhettoJew posted:

I only think of Far Harbor as being important since the locations and story add a bunch of fairly interesting content, but Automatron does has some good stuff if you like fiddling with robots plus a negligible short story bit. Vault-Tec Workshop is blah unless you're in love with making a half-realized vault for yourself and I'm leaning negative about the half of Nuka-World I've seen so far. The other little packs have a bunch of placeable items and some working machinery for [thing] automation.

In short: If you're big into settlement building and personalization, definitely. If not, at least Far Harbor is pretty cool.

I've since seen the rest of Nuka-World, and since the videos and streams haven't gotten there yet I'll not go into detail about my thoughts yet. However, I will say that although I hate the story parts of it the setting and some of the soda-related added material is pretty interesting. The map is bigger than I expected and there is (a little) actual interaction with the Commonwealth.

In shorter:
Farharbar: good, Automatron/Nuka: okay, Vault-tec: bah, Other Two Workshops: technically exist I suppose but who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

ddegenha posted:

If you watch carefully, you can also see where I managed to screw up one of the quest lines and put a game-breaking bug into effect that keeps the main Far Harbor quest line from completing. The good news is that I found an old save from before that happened, and since I'm done with classes and work for the week I can put right what once went wrong before streaming on Thursday.

Thank gently caress for that. The blank looks on the Farharborians' faces as they waited for Godot to arrive were starting to wear on me.

• Locked thread