Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Problem description: When pressing the Power button the fans (CPU, GPU, system fan) start spinning but power down again after a short time. Sometimes immediately, sometimes when Windows is loading,but before the login screen. After 5-6 attempts it worked, after replacing the PSU I still need 2-3 attempts. System then runs stable enough for office work, also tried playing Elite Dangerous which ran stable for the test period (one hour).

Attempted fixes: I have removed RAM banks and replaced the PSU. Removing RAM didn't change anything, after replacing the PSU the problem became less annoying, but still happens on every power up.

Recent changes: I have installed a second 2x4 GB RAM. Also, a few days before that I lost 2 SATA ports on my mainboard, which I noticed because I lost access to two HDDs. I fear it means a fried mainboard, but the system didn't immediately display any other problems after losing the 2 SATA ports.

--

Operating system: W10 Home 64

System specs: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($252.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($88.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($398.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.88 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Samsung S24B300EL 23.6" Monitor
Monitor: LG E2711PY-BN 27.0" 60Hz Monitor
Total: $829.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-31 03:05 EDT-0400

I have Googled and read the FAQ:Yes

Einbauschrank fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Voting bad motherboard, Gigabyte boards are notoriously shoddy.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Thanks.

Added twist: I *feel* Windows takes much longer to load, as I was really spoiled by the SSD. Might this also be a mainboard issue?

And should I replace the board with an identical one (75$ at the moment) to ensure RAM etc. works properly? Or can you recommend a good and durable alternative?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Einbauschrank posted:

Added twist: I *feel* Windows takes much longer to load, as I was really spoiled by the SSD. Might this also be a mainboard issue?

It could be caused by that or other things.

Einbauschrank posted:

And should I replace the board with an identical one (75$ at the moment) to ensure RAM etc. works properly? Or can you recommend a good and durable alternative?

I'd probably get a higher quality equivalent but you'd have to reinstall the OS as the drivers on the hard drive would be different.

Asus and ASRock currently seem to have good reputations.

• Locked thread