Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Hi everyone,

I'm an English dude living in London with my Bulgarian girlfriend. I want to be with her for the long term, but she will be moving back to her home city in around six months or so - it's not defined but it's going to happen within a year for certain, if not sooner. I love London and in a perfect world we would both stay here, but life is rarely perfect. She's been in UK for 9 years and misses her family terribly and wants to go home which I can understand.

We are at the point where I need to start thinking about whether or not I will be going with her. If i don't the relationship is pretty much over and neither of us want that. She's not given me any kind of ultimatum but we both know this is the case. Long distance rarely works.

But this isn't E/N and more about what it's like from a foreigners perspective to live in Sofia. Broadly, what's it like, whether its a fun, active place (i'm 30 so my fun days aren't over yet) and general day to day living. What's good, and what isnt?

I'm somewhat open to the idea but frankly, moving to another country is freaking me out a bit so I just want to know a little bit more about it all so I can at least start getting my head around things.

As for work, I am a Copywriter who works in advertising/marketing and research seems to suggest there are opportunities in that industry out there.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
Well bruv, this may be stating the obvious but you're gonna have to learn Bulgarian. Cost of living is low, so if you have even meagre savings you'll live like a king. Do keep in mind that folks usually go the other way (Bulgaria->UK) in search of a better life, but most end up coming back or least frequently visiting home because no one in their right mind likes living in the UK lol. Having said that, Sofia is Bulgaria's most cosmopolitan city and more or less party-central so you should probably have a good time.

You WILL experience culture-shock and probably regret going, but on the other hand you only live once and should capitalize on every opportunity for adventure. Worst case: you end up hating it, break up with Ya Girl and return to your clockwork orange-esque dystopia to pull your lovely ikea furniture back out of storage. Medium-worst-case: you break up with ya girl but oh poo poo you're suddenly a unique snowflake surrounded by smoking-hot Bulgarian chicks who are all highly educated, speak English and would definitely be up for another 9 year stint in London. Best case: you work remotely, getting paid in pounds and spending all that paper on cheap beer and cheap drugs while lazing around in your giant apartment that you could never in a million years afford in London.

You get the gist, but if you Would Like To Know More you should probably travel there first and see what's what. I'll be in Sofia within the next week or two should you choose to do so and would like to have a beer. Alternatively just PM me or revive this thread.

• Locked thread