Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Haha, I really like the part where he took the piss out of the mentally ill.

1978: Opposition leader Margaret Thatcher says that many Britons fear being "swamped by people with a different culture".

Thanks, Wikipedia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

LemonDrizzle posted:

Millennials are lazy and entitled whiners IMO: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37508968

This is... Not surprising that we're worse off (born in '84) than the previous generation but those figures are kind of staggering. We've been a generation left behind. First since WW2 to be worse off than the previous is just bad.

But nowt will be done about it because rabble rabble millennial lazy peepee heads

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Where does the idea that the left thinks people should be tolerant of others' views even come from?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Where does the idea that the left thinks people should be tolerant of others' views even come from?

The sort of American that thinks liberalism is 'the left'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
People that think that being gay or foreign or poor is a 'view' and therefore when the Left tells them to stop causing poo poo for people because of those reasons they're trying to censor their freeze peach.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

gently caress people like this so hard. I just don't understand their complete inability to understand the difference between embracing diversity of race, culture, sexuality etc and challenging attributes that threaten that. You choose to have your poisonous bullshit beliefs that are based on terrible reasoning and you actively make society worse. Mr Patel down the road doesn't do any of that on account of being from Bangalore. He might also have bad opinions which should be challenged (and a lot of leftists seem to struggle here) but we're operating at two fundamentally different levels. It's not loving 'intolerant' to call someone out on their stupid poo poo.

I think the thing that gets me most is the sheer level of smug aloofness these kind of people have. They genuinely think they're the smartest guy in the room and they've come up with some devastating critique. Can't loving stand them.

e: on tellychat, does anyone know why the UK only ended up with 5 regular channels, three of which are state owned to some extent? When you compare it to other countries, even on the continent, it seems quite a small number

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

e: on tellychat, does anyone know why the UK only ended up with 5 regular channels, three of which are state owned to some extent? When you compare it to other countries, even on the continent, it seems quite a small number
Murdoch wanted people to buy sky dishes. Branson wanted them to buy a wire instead. Nobody wanted to buy analog terrestrial frequency space.

Terrestrial Freeview has a lot more than 5 now though.

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

The response should have just been "people don't get angry at you because they're mentally ill. It's because you're an rear end in a top hat."

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Maybe left wingers are poo poo. Otherwise, pricks like him would be in a loving work camp.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I am starting to have a lot more sympathy for tankies.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
"Be tolerant of my intolerance, leftists." Said the man in the backwards cap.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
Rodrigo Duterte vows to kill 3 million drug addicts and likens himself to Hitler

I wonder if Hilary Benn is going to have the courage to call for us to invade the Philippines?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

dispatch_async posted:

Rodrigo Duterte vows to kill 3 million drug addicts and likens himself to Hitler

I wonder if Hilary Benn is going to have the courage to call for us to invade the Philippines?

Should we be tolerant of this man?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Ronya is a treasure and a bright shining light of erudition in this thread.

Thank you very sincerely for taking the time to post here ronya.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
'Well you would say that, you're Labour' getting a round of applause from the feckless, braying mob really reminds me of Stewart Lee's 'laughing through bared teeth like the dogs they are' line.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

hakimashou posted:

Ronya is a treasure and a bright shining light of erudition in this thread.

Thank you very sincerely for taking the time to post here ronya.

Have they done something racist you approve of?

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Gonzo McFee posted:

I don't think so. But my point is that we probably will be, seeing as the Philippines is a major ally of the US.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

No, for starters his comparisons are terrible. Hitler loved meth.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

How about some positive news to lighten the mood?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-37516436

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

EmptyVessel posted:

Michael Foot
Leg End

:vince:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Praseodymi posted:

1978: Opposition leader Margaret Thatcher says that many Britons fear being "swamped by people with a different culture".

Thanks, Wikipedia.

How do you awaken people to the fact that this belief is mainly a projection of white guilt? Essentially "eradicating indigenous cultures is what we did when we were colonising the globe, now we're getting colonised they're going to return the favour :tinfoil:"

Also the fact that even if there was only one culture on this whole island and we put up a wall to stop foreign ones getting in, their kids would still end up listening to different music and speaking funny words the old folks don't understand, because that happens everywhere all the time. Strap them down in front of a screen showing Footloose on repeat until it sinks in, maybe.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
So long as we don't forget how to queue I think we'll be alright.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

I keep seeing this in my imgur uploads, and it makes me laugh everytime.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Renaissance Robot posted:

So long as we don't forget how to queue I think we'll be alright.
Or add a ton of unnecessary vowels to words. Like queue.

e: ^^ nice

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

Or add a ton of unnecessary vowels to words. Like queue.

Que?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
surely any letter after q is superfluous

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think you mean "¿Que?"

It means "to form a sequential order of people".

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Pesmerga posted:

'Well you would say that, you're Labour' getting a round of applause from the feckless, braying mob really reminds me of Stewart Lee's 'laughing through bared teeth like the dogs they are' line.

Apparently Question Time had producers posting on EDL facebook pages trying to recruit audience members. So that's nice.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

haha this is pretty good

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i just assumed its because lincolnshire in general and boston specifically is loving awful

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Wolfsbane posted:

Apparently Question Time had producers posting on EDL facebook pages trying to recruit audience members. So that's nice.

:iannuci:

Serious The Thick of It vibes.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Wolfsbane posted:

That's not a bad site in terms of news and views, but wow do they need a decent web editor, the design is awful.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ThomasPaine posted:

gently caress people like this so hard. I just don't understand their complete inability to understand the difference between embracing diversity of race, culture, sexuality etc and challenging attributes that threaten that. You choose to have your poisonous bullshit beliefs that are based on terrible reasoning and you actively make society worse. Mr Patel down the road doesn't do any of that on account of being from Bangalore. He might also have bad opinions which should be challenged (and a lot of leftists seem to struggle here) but we're operating at two fundamentally different levels. It's not loving 'intolerant' to call someone out on their stupid poo poo.

I think the thing that gets me most is the sheer level of smug aloofness these kind of people have. They genuinely think they're the smartest guy in the room and they've come up with some devastating critique. Can't loving stand them.

It didn't. Analogue telly did, but we have digital now and even freeview has like 40 channels, albeit many of them are owned by the big 5.

E: also looks like it's been a lively few days of bullshit antisemitism allegations, the latest being aimed at an actual Jewish person.

gently caress's sake.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
This is no doubt fake, but it did give me the giggles

https://twitter.com/simonk_133/status/781624113957863424

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Ticks all the right boxes - adventurous, appeals to my inner 90s child, has the word "beer". I'm sold.

E: The Crystal Maze bit is true too. Just ignore the last column, that's not important.

HJB fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 30, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Anyone going to the North-East Somerset Labour CLP meeting this evening?

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

This is no doubt fake, but it did give me the giggles

https://twitter.com/simonk_133/status/781624113957863424

No photo of the candidate wearing shorts. 3/10

https://electionleaflets.org/leaflets/13674/

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Wolfsbane posted:

Just trying to teach the controversy.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

HJB posted:

E: The Crystal Maze bit is true too. Just ignore the last column, that's not important.
Not only did the useless oval office lose every game he was put into, he's the only person to have ever lost this one, ever.

Typical Tory. Gets carried by the hard work of others and then tries to take the credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

XMNN posted:

i just assumed its because lincolnshire in general and boston specifically is loving awful

The river is very unpleasant

• Locked thread