Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Most media outlets with a recognizable name are heavy propagandists with a heavy pro-corporate agenda that are ready and willing to distort facts and exclude relevant stories that might affect their or their sponsor's bottom lines... but somehow the publication associated with a whacko rear end religion dreamed up by an opium addict is a reputable media source and a fine home for journalism. How the hell did this happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

its one of lifes great mysteries op

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
is it better than the guardian these days because i may have to switch because id rather check drudge than read what the guardian has become

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Mariana Horchata posted:

is it better than the guardian these days because i may have to switch because id rather check drudge than read what the guardian has become

:agreed:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i dont read em very much cause i just read whatever comes up on my news aggregator app but the articles i have read were good

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
I don't know if this question is sincere, but The Christian Science people sold the paper and part of the deal was that they had to keep the original name, so it's actually not associated with them anymore, OP.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Gross Dude posted:

I don't know if this question is sincere, but The Christian Science people sold the paper and part of the deal was that they had to keep the original name, so it's actually not associated with them anymore, OP.

This just confuses me further

client
Aug 19, 2010

Mariana Horchata posted:

my turds are better than the guardian

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
This is one Monitor, that turns ME on!! hahaha~!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I've asked this question many times OP, but its unironicallu the best news source period

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't read Christian Science Monster op. :colbert:

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
The founder, Mary Baker Eddy, was a loving genius before she converted and believing in God didn't turn her stupid overnight.

Or maybe they're just right all the time because they picked the right God so he makes sure their reporting is always Just and True.

naem
May 29, 2011

"Hey let's pretty much always tell the truth and do the right thing as best we understand, so that someone somewhere actually does that like, ever, no really"

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I get all my news from GBS. Did you guys hear about how SA user Dad Gay, So What likes to suck dicks? You learn something new everyday around this forum.

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016

Gross Dude posted:

this isn't true

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Gross Dude posted:

That never happened and it's still associated with the church. The paper itself just happens to be a relatively grounded organization idk

e: gently caress you Doofus

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Dunno man it's really weird. Back in the day when I was a high school debate kid, they were the gold standard for journalistic sources. And now, 15 years after that, they still real good? Confusing. Did someone forget to give them the memo that journalistic integretiy is out of style and passe?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Lol i remember googling this exact question at my last job where i spent 4 or 5 hours a day reading Google news and half of the really good articles would be from csm.

The other half was from bbc.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
well i dont have aids anymore, imo

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
I just assumed it was a secular organization that was monitoring Christian Scientists.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SweetKarma posted:

I just assumed it was a secular organization that was monitoring Christian Scientists.

whoa

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Orkin Mang posted:

well i dont have aids anymore, imo

waanna gently caress

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If memory serves it was set up partly to make Christian Science look better by having a rigorous, objective news organization. A bit of a case of doing the right things for the wrong reasons.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

"The idea is that the unblemished truth is freeing (as a fundamental human right); with it, citizens can make informed decisions and take intelligent action, for themselves and for society.”

Yeah ok now I'm REALLY suspicious. Whats the angle?

I have one piece of dirt on them: their writers are willing to swallow and regurgitate almost any weed myth out there, and have occasionally been caught misrepresenting sources in their war on weed acceptance and legalization.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Cristian Science has a mystic sensibility to it, like Scientology, except you have ultimate faith in the goodness of the universe instead of your own ego.
It's not that bad all things considered.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

So how do they make money

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Ork of Fiction posted:

Cristian Science has a mystic sensibility to it, like Scientology, except you have ultimate faith in the goodness of the universe instead of your own ego.
It's not that bad all things considered.

That idealism is swell right up until you go off the cliff and start preaching that illness is an illusion and prayer is better than medicine.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Nathilus posted:

That idealism is swell right up until you go off the cliff and start preaching that illness is an illusion and prayer is better than medicine.

Makes for good inlaws though. Prayer don't cost a thing.

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The church and other spiritual institutions are generally left of depraved globalist atheists in every meaningful sense.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They're really good at international news for an American outlet, too. Everybody is baffled, OP.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Grats, you've utterly stumped gbs; the most insufferable group of know-it-alls I've ever personally encountered. Good job!

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nathilus posted:

Grats, you've utterly stumped gbs; the most insufferable group of know-it-alls I've ever personally encountered. Good job!

yeh i know that

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i don't pay/sign up to read news so don't really care

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

i don't pay/sign up to read news so don't really care

its a tough situation. People want good and trustworthy news but nobody wants to pay for it

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Parallax Scroll posted:

i dont read em very much cause i just read whatever comes up on my news aggregator app but the articles i have read were good

:same:

The articles I have been directed to by google news are head and shoulders above cnn. Not that that is difficult.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

the earth was created in 7 days though, right?

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

i get my news from games forums and memes about celebrity deaths

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

6 days actually. the 7th day god took a big fat dump

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

if i mm gay and also was made in the image of my father does that mean god is also gay as well???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Nathilus posted:

"The idea is that the unblemished truth is freeing (as a fundamental human right); with it, citizens can make informed decisions and take intelligent action, for themselves and for society.”

Yeah ok now I'm REALLY suspicious. Whats the angle?

I have one piece of dirt on them: their writers are willing to swallow and regurgitate almost any weed myth out there, and have occasionally been caught misrepresenting sources in their war on weed acceptance and legalization.

The lady who founded the paper had a long-running feud with a local yellow journalism tabloid baron guy and founded the paper on the principles of doing the exact opposite of what that guy did. This has persisted to this day because the paper is supported by an endowment that has been effectively managed and that hasn't fallen prey to ponzi schemes or other crap like that, so it hasn't had to transition into the infotainment business in order to make ends meet. It's still called the Christian Science Monitor as a condition to receive support from the endowment, ditto the small column they print on church news, partly because she was a woman of faith in that sect and partly to stick it to the dude she was feuding with since he sometimes mocked her for her faith in his tabloids.

• Locked thread