Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Unlucky7 posted:

I am also guessing even with the throttling, the SSD will still be faster than my current HHD?

If that is the case, then I may as well take the plunge.

The thing is that the random 4k performance is by far the most important metric and as you can see in the charts posted earlier a SSD will be 40-100 times faster in that type of work so yeah, even with the bottleneck a SSD will be vastly faster than any HDD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sprite141 posted:

Well I'm dumb. I estimated my current storage drive use to be at 800-ish gb, though I've had a hell of a time doing so as it's failing pretty hard. Well as it turns out, I was only using about 600 of it. Woops!

Guess I don't need that 2tb ssd then. I could return it and get the 1tb 860 Evo on sale for $110. But the 2tb was on sale for $30 the 1tb's normal price, and that's a deal I feel is worth keeping.

Also I'm lazy, and my hdd is failing so hard that i don't want to wait longer to extract the data from it.

Ehhh, don't worry about it, you'll have too much storage until you need more.