Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Great OP, the only thing I'd change is mentioning the mSATA form factor - even though its time has come and gone, there's still a bunch of mobos and laptops with that form factor out there. I'd hate to see people trying to upgrade and buying m.2 drives, then being confused as to why they won't plug in.

Sorry for the whining :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Unlucky7 posted:

I noticed that there were PCI Express cards that could provide Sata 3 slots. Is it not a bad idea to take advantage of that?

I've used several brands of Sata III add-in card, (Marvell, Jmicron, Asmedia) and none of them run anywhere near as quickly as a native Intel Sata III port. Some of them are buggy, too. Better to use the chipset's native ports, even if they're slower on paper.

I use a cheapie BX100 drive in my media box that's only SATA II, and it's amazingly quicker than a spinning HD, even slightly bottlenecked.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Fry's has the 1tb 850 Evo for $229 as one of their Black Friday deals if you're signed up for their daily promo code emails.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

VulgarandStupid posted:

Does that include the Watch Dogs 2 code?

I don't see it mentioned, so I'm guessing 'no'. All I've seen is a teaser blurb though.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Grabbed one of those $250 1tb 850 Evo's from Amazon. Have Prime with my GF, so they delivered it to my door free at 10:45am.

Best Black Friday Ever

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Arcturas posted:

Goddamnit. Am I completely hosed, or can I fix this? I bought the Crucial MX300. Apparently I bought the laptop version. I have a desktop, with full cages for regular sized desktop hard drives. So the tiny SSD doesn't snap in to my removable hard drive trays. Can I just plug the SSD into my SATA system and have it work while I order some plastic spacer bullshit that will fill the empty space? Or do I need to get a whole new drive?

Quickedit: For reference, I bought this drive. I figured since it was SATA I was okay. But I'm Bad At Computers (TM).

I either put them in a 3.5" bay with one screw or Velcro them to whatever flat surface is handy. You did fine.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Larrymer posted:

Seeing the 1TB 850 evos for cheap has me considering one. I have an 840 evo 256 gb and could use more space. Will I notice much difference in speed? Seems like some benchmarks say 25% or so speed increase but I wonder if that's even noticeable? Would it be better to wait to do this when I eventually upgrade to the m.2 style when I update my CPU/Mobo in a year or two? (still have an old 2500k and old sata mobo). I've been dealing with less space for awhile, so it isn't like I can't live with it a little longer. Just looking for opinions.

Edit: it dropped to $220 on amazon and I couldn't resist. It'll be nice having all my games installed instead of picking and choosing.

I just went from a 500gb 840 Evo to a 1TB 850 Evo on my old reliable P67/3570K box, and honestly could not tell the difference in everyday use. The benchmarks are a little higher with the new drive(yes, I used the Intel SATA III port), but the main improvement is all that beautiful empty spaaaace.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I run an 850 Evo on a Z77 board and I get ~480 MB/sec, so yeah, looks like you're on a SATA II port. Some boards also have add-on SATA III controllers by Marvell or Jmicron and they kinda suck, don't use them with an SSD, make sure you use the Intel SATA III port.

As for the cable question, I've used cheapie cables that fall out occasionally and good ones with the clips, and never noticed a speed difference, although I'm sure it can happen. I have had a couple go bad and throw CRC errors, though.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

loving hell, out of eight SSD's I've bought in the last six years, seven of them were either Intel or Samsung. Guess which one just took a poo poo?

Yeah, the one Crucial drive I own, the one with only a couple of TB written and under a hundred hours of power-on time. It's in my bedroom HTPC so I figured it wouldn't really matter, I just wanted it to boot faster, so I picked up a 250gb BX100 when it first came out. Now it's doing the whole 'isn't discovered by the BIOS 9 out 10 times' thing.

Luckily I got it to work long enough to image it onto an 850 Evo, but now I have to deal with Crucial's horrible return system. Goddamn it, I know better.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I've cloned literally hundreds of drives with Macrium Reflect while the PC was on and doing its normal background things, without issue. There's no need to go nuts trying to shut down background processes.

Macrium can also clone to a smaller drive without screwing around with the partition size beforehand, although the 'old way' using Easus works fine too.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I'm a huge clonezilla fan for weird poo poo like Hackintosh disks with mixed filesystems and such, but for simple spinnydisk>SSD clones running Windows, I've had good luck with Macrium.

One thing about it though, you have to set it to 'forensic copy' if you're cloning a damaged/dying disk to a new one, otherwise it'll just fail over and over. Took me way too long to figure this out

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Have you tried booting to a Linux Live distro via thumbdrive and blowing away the partitions/reformatting from there?

I've had that work on disks that are all hosed up from Hackintoshing w/non-dos partitions and Windows throws up its hands and can't do poo poo.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

moloo posted:

Have a quick question. I'm running a 960 evo m.2 in my desktop (z270/7600k) that's currently down for a couple weeks while i wait for a motherboard RMA from Gigabyte. I have my important stuff backed up on a regular 3.5" drive but I have a couple word files that I'd really like to get off the 960 evo. The laptop I'm using in the meantime is a few years old and doesn't have a m.2 slot.

Does anymore make a USB to NVMe m.2 adapter? All the adapters I can find at for SATA m.2 and I'm assuming that's a total no go, right? Speed doesn't matter it could be USB 1.0 for all I care.

If not, I''m looking at putting my an old LGA775 cpu/mobo/ram setup back in and buying a cheap pcie to m.2 nvme adapter (if that would even work?) or driving two hours to use my little cousin's desktop with a nvme slot I built him for Christmas.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-M-2-SATA-External-Enclosure/dp/B00T8F298Y

$28, first hit on Google.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

priznat posted:

That's not nvme, that's usb to m.2 sata.

Ah, gently caress me, sorry, didn't pay close enough attention.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Wilford Cutlery posted:

No, that was a certain older Crucial model. No mass death reports from any Samsungs that I've heard.

Also if the drive is the 2.5" SATA variety it needs the firmware update, if it's the m.2/mSATA version then it doesn't apply.

I can't speak for m.2, but the mSATA version definitely needs the performance restoration firmware, I did two of them. It's a separate firmware number than the SATA 2.5 version, EXT42B6Q, rather than EXT0CB6Q.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Yeah, I've had a couple of older multi-boot machines where one of the Windows installs was on D:, I think it came from installing a new version of Windows while in the old, rather than booting from the install media.

A lot of lovely software defaults to installing on C: no matter where you boot from, so it's kind of a PITA if Windows isn't on C:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I use an SSD for my HTPC because I set the remote to hibernate it when it’s turned ‘off’ and it will go from hibernation to on in just a couple seconds. Was frustratingly slow with a spinner, so throwing $80 at it for a cheap SSD didn’t seem like a bad idea.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Potato Salad posted:

^

I adamantly theorize that one of the factors permitting HEDT owners to hold on to 2500k and even Core systems for so long was the massive usability boost provided by the commoditization of SSDs.

I think there’s a lot of truth to that. I recently had to yank out an ancient laptop out of my closet for some troubleshooting work I was doing(needed a hardware serial port in my driveway) - this is a Centrino 1.7ghz single-core Dell business laptop, mind you, it’s -really- old.

But it booted up fast, I updated Firefox, downloaded what I needed, fixed the vehicle, and was loving around on the forums when I realized ‘holy poo poo, this thing is like 14 years old’. The only way it was remotely usable is that, the last time I needed it, I stuck an 840evo in a mSATA-to-PATA adaptor, cloned the OG hard drive and threw it in. That $90 investment made all the difference in the world.

Of course, it’s running XP, so it’s a security nightmare and I only use it for this one thing, but I was still shocked how well it performed considering it’s advanced age.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Level Slide posted:

Does the Samsung 860 EVO have this DRAM stuff? And there's been a few mentions of it in the OP, but how much difference is there between something with DRAM and without? It sounds like something optional for SSDs, but highly recommended.

Yes, all(to my knowledge) high/medium-end SSD’s have DRAM, and a lot of lower-end SSD’s as well. Since the DRAM is used as a buffer, eliminating it makes for a much slower drive. In the past, only most poo poo-tastic no-name/OEM drives were DRAM-less, but there’s a new generation of controllers that can run without DRAM and are only kinda lousy, rather than being complete dumpster fires.

I can’t envision a situation where an informed consumer would even consider a DRAM-less SSD, since falling prices mean that you only save a few dollars between a decent budget drive and an utter piece of poo poo.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I’m not going with NVMe until we get enough PCIe lanes on consumer chipsets so that running one doesn’t translate into “using a NVMe drive disables two PCIe 1x slots, two SATA ports, your USB 3.1 ports and a partridge in a pear tree’ written in 8 point type on the last page of your mobo manual.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I have an old Win7 install on an 840Evo that I rarely use nowadays - basically a worst-case situation in terms of charge degradation and subsequent slowdown - and after running the updates a few years ago, speed is still good and drive works fine. No complaints here.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Kairos posted:

For your use case, consider an LSI SAS host bus adapter with some SAS->SATA fanout cables. Just need to make sure that it's flashed to IT mode (or just a model that doesn't support hardware RAID in the first place) unless you want to use hardware RAID on it. I got this one and it works well in my Unraid server. Reliable and fast (you could attach 8 SATA SSDs to it and run them all at max speed at the same time, if you wanted to, so it has more than enough bandwidth for platter drives), and a lot of expandability (out of the box with SAS->SATA fanout cables you can plug 8 SATA drives into it, and with port multipliers it can support up to 256 attached disks). Also the cabling inside my server is a lot less messy now.

If you don’t mind me asking, which LSI card did you use? I have several 4-port consumer cards currently in my NAS and would like a little cleaner setup.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Kairos posted:

I have an HP H220, which is a rebranded LSI 9207-8i. I bought one off of eBay that the seller had flashed to the LSI firmware (which is better because the HP firmware has dumb limitations on how many drives you can connect to it for the sake of selling customers higher-priced versions of the exact same hardware with fewer limitations).

Here's a big list of different models of LSI cards on the ServeTheHome forums. The most popular card is the LSI 9211-8i, and most people flash that to IT mode (which disables the RAID controller on the card and just passes the disks through to the system individually, and unless you know for sure that you definitely want to use hardware RAID you want to disable it).

I got the one I got partly because it's a PCIe 3.0 card instead of a PCIe 2.0 card, so it has more bandwidth and felt more "future proof" to me, but it doesn't matter that much. And I got it from the seller I got it from because I didn't want to bother flashing the card myself; there are guides on how to do it out there and it didn't look too awful but sufficiently annoying that I was willing to pay a little bit extra to not have to bother. Also, as a bit of forewarning, flashing the rebranded cards is apparently sometimes trickier than the LSI-brand cards. And as another warning, apparently some of the LSI-branded cards on eBay these days (particularly the "new" ones) are actually counterfeit cards made in shady factories in China that don't mind silkscreening some other company's logo onto something. These may or may not work fine, but I didn't want to find out. The rebranded cards from HP and IBM and Dell or whatever don't really have this going on because people aren't really getting pointed toward them by "build your own NAS" guides on the Internet like they are with the 9211-8i.

If you have that many cards you might want to find a -16i card (which has four SAS ports on it, which fan out to 16 SATA connectors with cables like these) or just get a SAS expander like this (the two ports on the bottom of the card can have cables plugged into them from the HBA, and the other ports on the card can then be plugged into hard drives; this splits the bandwidth of each of the lanes on the card, but for platter drives this basically doesn't matter).

Awesome, thanks for all the info. My current NAS is a giant bunch of outdated surplus hardware(think Core2 Quad w/SATA II cards) thrown together, and while it works OK, I’d like to replace it with something purpose-built.

Using an SAS card good for 8 SATA drives should do the trick; I’m currently using a bunch of 2tb drives but will be going to larger capacity drives since I won’t be hamstrung by a 32 bit OS.

Sorry for the derail, forgot what thread I was in.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Atomizer posted:

Since you brought up a decade-old SSD, my question is, does NAND flash lose anything over time if it's not being used? I'm not talking about data retention; let's say you've got that old SSD in a backup laptop that you use once a month; is it accruing any age-related wear simply over time? Or say you took out the SSD and let it sit, empty, for a few years until you needed it for some project again; is there any problem with it just sitting there, unused?

I have an old Dell business-class Centrino laptop running a three-year-old Samsung 850 Evo mSATA SSD in a PATA adaptor that I use for a bunch of ancient diagnostic equipment that really really likes a hardware serial port.
This laptop sits for many months at a time, gets pulled out and used for a couple days, then chucked back in my closet. So far, the SSD hasn’t seemed to gently caress up in any way, although I keep the original PATA drive stored carefully away in case of SSD bit rot or something, plus there’s a full disc image somewhere on my NAS.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

That’s what I would do, I used Samsung Evo 850 drives on both my P67 andZ77 machines.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Atomizer posted:

Anecdote: I have an Intel 330 240 GB still going strong after almost 6 years in my gaming desktop. I don't think I've ever had an SSD die on me.

:same:

The 330’s were Sandforce, though, and I had good luck with SF controllers over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Macrium Reflect has always been my go-to; the free version does everything I need to do when cloning drives.