Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Alan Smithee posted:

I've heard whispers about issues with the Samsung 980, particularly the 1tb, what's the lowdown?
I think an update dropped this Friday that fixes it, but before that, write speed crashed to ~1,000 because the TRIM feature was broken.

Test: https://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/samsung-980-pro-2tb-pcie-nvme-solid-state-drive/trim-performance.html

Fix: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1262379-samsung-980-pro-1tb-slow-write-speeds/?tab=comments#comment-14692044

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
How do NVMe's generally work when they're not used as the system drive? Can I get one to put games on and see really fast load times, or is there still going to be a huge bottleneck on account of it not being the system drive?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Ah, I see. I didn't know it was already that bottlenecked. We'll have to see if DirectStorage/RTX IO will offer something in the future.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
didn't pcie 3.0 motherboard heatsinks initially just trap the m.2 heat and make everything worse

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
If massive heatsinks taught me anything, it's that they don't operate on the principles of physics as much as blood sacrifices.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
see if crystaldiskinfo has a better diagnosis for you. doesn't need to run a long analysis either. it was also the only thing i could use to identify the weird behaviour of my drives

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i haven't messed with laptops in years, but i imagine thermals (without heatsinks) might be relevant if it's slotted into a laptop with little airflow

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
about to open the package for my samsung 980 pro m.2 drive with a heatsink and install it into my asus motherboard, but does anyone know for sure whether there's even enough clearance with this clunky io shield?

again, this is with the pre-installed heatsink. i guess the shield runs flush with the pcie release switch which means it should be ok? i have no idea what the specs and standards are for m.2 heatshields. just an abundance of caution

kliras fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 26, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

repiv posted:

Alternatively, :10bux: will get you a simple adapter that lets you install the drive into a PCIe slot instead
is any weird stuff gonna happen if it's a pcie 3 adapter for a pcie 4 drive on a pcie 3 motherboard?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
been using primocache for ram+nvme as L1+L2 cache for a while, and it seems to work quite well (cache hit rate in the +80s), but i'm wondering how the software handles overprovisioning. is it something i should configure myself, or does the software already take it into account? maybe i should go back and change the partition

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
acronis was one of the other popular go-to's

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
at this point, i might just as well get a pcie nvme adapter and retire some drives

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, turns out my Noctua cooler overlaps the primary CPU-bound M2 slot. :argh:
yeah that slot is basically dead to me. hell if i'm going to wrestle my d15 every time i want to manage something there

by the way, are motherboard screws for nvme's standardized? i remember when you still needed the screws that came with the motherboard, and while i did keep mine, i couldn't fit any of my screwdrivers in it, and the drat plastic crap got stripped like crazy, so now my drive is just sort of inserted so i can get it out again

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

makere posted:

You can buy a bag of M2 screws, with the standoffs.
are they standardized on old crusty boards like asus c7h? i've heard some horror stories, and could never find any good places to buy from here in europe

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Cygni posted:

Also on that board, you really should only use the top m2 slot if you can. Using the lower m2 will bifurcate the lanes off of the first PCIe slot, forcing the GPU to 8x.
i'll get around to using it, but currently i just have a simple for-fun 1tb 980 pro with a heatsink that might make it too tight of a fit. and the gpu is a 1070, so there shouldn't be much bottlenecking to be had

shame pcpartpicker can't specific which nvme slots you use on your build, would make it neater for pcie lane management

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
my entire computer literally fell over, and only crystaldiskinfo was able to tell me my mechanical drives were f'ed - after it was pretty much too late to do anything about it

i'm an extremely annoying cdi evangelist now

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

TOOT BOOT posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08S7NV2B7

I bought this when I needed to change out a m2 drive and instead of being an exercise in frustration it only took a few minutes. It took longer to unplug everything and unseat my video card than it did to switch the NVME drive.
this also lead me to a european site that ... doesn't want to load

but my experimental ambitions were also just dashed after looking at my manual and realizing that this old piece of crap motherboard apparently has friggin pci 2.0 slots

starting to think we should just go full usb and colour code the slots based on version, maybe even multiplier ...

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
with acer's upcoming orion sff case, you won't have to choose between hot swappable storage and m.2 drives!

the flap at the front is where you slot in the drive. pretty neat

kliras fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 10, 2023

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i think the 990 pro is about the same price here fwiw

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the power cables are so drat clunky to use, though, especially with modern case designs that aren't just one solid column of drives in a cage blocking all intake airflow

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

repiv posted:

if it's full ATX you can squeeze a few more drives into the PCIe slots you're probably not using
iirc, you just need to make sure your motherboard supports bifurcation for multiple drives in one pcie slot

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
there was a bad issue with samsung drives a few months ago that was solved by simply installing a firmware update at the time. just don't buy a sandisk or seagate and you're prooobably fine

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
derp, misread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
should be fine, just make sure to update the firmware

there's also the recently-ish announced 990 evo to compare price and performance with, but it looks a little gimmicky so far: https://www.pcworld.com/article/2214459/samsung-990-evo-review.html

kliras fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 23, 2024