Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder how Cruz feels about his endorsement now that Trump is imploding in epic fashion just one week later.

Maybe the implosion is his doing.

edit:

PhazonLink posted:

Zodiac Killer is doing a gambit.

Say he's going to endorse, tells Trump to get a the best, great photo op ready, and then on live tv Zodiac Killer takes off his human form and reveals his cosmic horror form.

Z-killer destroyed multiple timelines and omniverses already so his power is weak in our universe/timeline and this is the best he could do.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder how Cruz feels about his endorsement now that Trump is imploding in epic fashion just one week later.

Probably fine considering he endorsed when Trump was at what will probably end up being his peak for the general.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I understand your concern, but I think things will be okay. Without hyperbole, his supporters are almost all elderly or so obese it limits their agility, or both. Yes, they have guns and that's not good, but they are people who have been entirely sedentary and socially passive their entire lives. They get confrontational on the internet, but most of them have no experience picking fights in real life.

The economy is okay-ish, food prices are attainable, emergency medical care available, and broadly speaking a good chunk of the population are able to eat and have internet by one means or another. While individuals may exist with a perfect storm of "wife leaving me and taking the kids, got fired, out of funds and creditors calling, own guns, underlying mental issues, and I hate Hillary", the overall body of people are comfortable enough that they aren't going to risk it all stirring up serious poo poo. While you have some Bin Laden/Bundy folks who are willing to risk danger despite their privileged position, they're a pretty small cadre.

Overall just most Americans are vaguely comfortable enough that taking huge personal risk is unappealing compared to bitching, or are mentally unhinged enough to not be a competent threat. But boy howdy will they talk some poo poo.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

:fsmug:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jesus, gently caress south park

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

With how divisive a candidate Trump is combined with a totally mysterious enormous boom in militias since 2008, violence is pretty much a sure thing no matter who wins

We're at the point where our saturation of guns and sheer population mean that violence is just a fact of life. School shootings don't even make the news anymore

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

The economy is okay-ish, food prices are attainable, emergency medical care available, and broadly speaking a good chunk of the population are able to eat and have internet by one means or another. While individuals may exist with a perfect storm of "wife leaving me and taking the kids, got fired, out of funds and creditors calling, own guns, underlying mental issues, and I hate Hillary", the overall body of people are comfortable enough that they aren't going to risk it all stirring up serious poo poo. While you have some Bin Laden/Bundy folks who are willing to risk danger despite their privileged position, they're a pretty small cadre.

Overall just most Americans are vaguely comfortable enough that taking huge personal risk is unappealing compared to bitching, or are mentally unhinged enough to not be a competent threat. But boy howdy will they talk some poo poo.

Most of Y'all Qaeda was also too chickenshit to actually do anything when the poo poo hit the fan; the moment the FBI dropped the hammer, almost all of them surrendered and went home. The only exceptions were Finicum (who was probably panicking and/or legitimately thought he could escape/shoot his way out, and was also a special level of awful person, what with his effective child slavery and all) and the poor guy at the end who, in addition to already having mental issues and being depressed, was primarily left behind because the other assholes couldn't stand him and pushed him out of the vehicle as they left, leaving him suicidal after everything collapsed and he spent several days trapped with the other three remaining assholes (who likewise caved pretty easily for all their harsh words). And I guess the Bundy father perhaps, but he didn't get a chance to do anything because he was an idiot who took a plane and was nabbed at the airport because he had no protection or guns after disembarking. As a whole, the movement got together, felt empowered by their guns and numbers, threw their weight around as long as they met no resistance, and then crumbled the moment real consequences (beyond destroying their insides with lovely food and crapping in a hole outside) loomed.

Now, I'm admittedly not an expert on this sort of thing, but from what I can see, most of Trump's supporters are the same. There are almost definitely some people out there who are truly dangerous, but, well, they'd probably be dangerous anyway, I think. There will probably be horrible things happening post-election (we've already seen that Trump's stirred up enough hate to cause the hate crime rate to increase), but I doubt there's going to be an epidemic of McVeigh-style attacks or anything. Most of his supporters are loudmouthed assholes who mostly just yell at people on the Internet or occasionally on the street.

Hopefully, at least. I dunno, maybe one of the people who studies this sort of thing professionally will have a different opinion.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Also the Bundys are the biggest welfare queens in the country that aren't incorporated

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot
Real talk if Y'all Qaeda were black they'd all be dead.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Epic High Five posted:

Also the Bundys are the biggest welfare queens in the country that aren't incorporated

That's one of the things that's so hilarious to me about them and Finicum becoming conservative idols; they are the "welfare queen" stereotype they so often attack. Like, besides using them for (illegal, as far as I'm aware) labor, the many kids Finicum fostered got him absurd amounts of money, which is also the only reason his business stayed afloat; without the subsidized child labor, his farm was completely and utterly unprofitable.

And yet he's held up as a conservative icon and hero. It's ridiculous.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lozzle posted:

Real talk if Y'all Qaeda were black they'd all be dead.

PSH like there's any precedent for a group of black people taking over an unoccupied building in protest and then having the building literally bombed and the neighborhoods around it torched and citizens murdered to teach them a lesson

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
That south park is back video was poo poo, but South Park on the debate is better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlqKFlU7YAs

The whole Mr. Garrison is Trump plot has been fairly funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Ego-bot posted:

Hey OP, if you're reading this, when you make the new thread can you include John Harwood's twitter under Robert Costa's?

He seems to have a lot of sources inside the Republican party and the Trump campaign. He was the first one to break that Manafort was sidelined in early August.

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood

Lucky you that I caught this right before posting.

New thread is up, by the way.

• Locked thread