Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Yinlock posted:

See what I can't understand is that Trump is constantly, constantly doing poo poo like this and getting away scot-free as the media straight-up ignores it, but Trump and his supporters constantly complain about how the evil biased media is against them.

The fact that anyone reports this at all is evidence that the press is biased, you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Are people just now discovering that Clinton wasn't a great candidate? Why freak out months after this was obvious?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Epic High Five posted:

She's by far the best option of all of them that will be on the ballot

This is akin to being the best venereal disease.

quote:

Her loathing of the press is one of my favorite things about her

This may make her more likable from a politics nerd standpoint, but it's a really bad trait for a candidate to have since it (even moreso) invites the kind of lovely reporting we've seen this cycle.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Eschers Basement posted:

The ones freaking out are actually the ones who six months ago insisted that Clinton would wreck it all, and desperately want to be vindicated.

Doesn't make much sense to act like this is news, then.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Epic High Five posted:

Newflash: that lovely reporting has been the standard for almost 2 decades

I acknowledged that, her stance toward the press only makes them more likely to engage in the craptacular equivalence they already were prone to do, though.

quote:

Also then they're all venereal diseases so you may as well pick the best one. Want something better? Show up in 2018, and for local poo poo

You misunderstand. Being a poor candidate does not mean you're a poor human being or would make a poor president. It means that, as a candidate, you have glaring weaknesses.

I don't dislike Clinton, really, I just think she's not a good candidate given the country we live in.

e: it's why I think this race will be closer than it has any right to be, even given polarization in this country.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

DemeaninDemon posted:

Hillary thrives on negative attention. Her Grand Abuela powers grow with every poo poo non-scandal that hits some poo poo stained rag passed as news.

Should tell the American people that, really

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

This is dumb. She's consistently polling ahead at a wide margin, and she's almost certainly going to win. Those are the marks of a good candidate. The votes she's losing are the votes of people choosing to support a bigot instead. What is it you'd have her change about herself to win those people over? Should she be more hateful herself? Less progressive? More male?

American races are close. They literally always are. That's just how our system is structured. This race is notably less close than usual, and that's a good thing.

Name one "glaring weakness" Hillary has that isn't "optics" or "I haven't taken stock of all the Republican propaganda I've absorbed over the past twenty years."

She and her husband unfortunately give off an incredibly ungenuine, prototypical politician vibe that while being unreflective of them as actual human persons turns a lot of people off. Her cool relationship with the press makes them even more willing to dig up any poo poo story they can find to bludgeon her with. She, unfortunately, has been tarred with scandal for years and years despite it being bullshit. She's not super personable or charming as a speaker or public figure, either.

She's not a good candidate. For a counterexample Obama (despite being the bane of racists everywhere) projected and projects a much more genuine and "wholesome" image that makes getting real traction with any scandal nigh impossible. He, rightly or wrongly, has been presented to the country as much less duplicitous and conniving. Despite being a relative unknown, he was a good candidate.

And no, she is not ahead at a wide margin. She, according to most aggregates, is barely running ahead of the MoE. She's looking good in swing states so far, but has been slipping now that the media turned it's attention on her. And by all rights, she should be crushing Trump but she's not.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This is real dumb.

Thanks, glad to have your opinion.

Good Citizen posted:

Um, Bill was probably one of the best politicians ever at seeming genuine when connecting with people on the campaign trail. That was like his whole thing.

Republicans have been working on that for the better part of 20 years now. I'd say the facade has worn off slightly.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You posted a real dumb opinion with only the slightest connection to facts based on your personal perception of her as a "bad candidate" that boils down to "she's not Obama, therefore..."

I posted things which would be common knowledge if you looked at the crosstabs of any poll or paid attention to how she is covered at all in the mainstream, you glorious idiot.

Unless you're saying seeming dishonest/untrustworthy, being scandal-ridden, whatever the gently caress else are good traits to have as a candidate. It's okay to admit Hillary has obvious flaws, it doesn't mean her entire campaign is going to collapse like a deck of cards.

Substantive.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That isn't you said, duder.

What, do you want me to write it out? Here, I'll help you:

"In my opinion, since she has very obvious disadvantages as a candidate that others may not due to popular public perception and media coverage she would not qualify as a good candidate.

It is my belief that such problems are dragging down poll numbers that otherwise should be (much) better considering she is running against Sarah Palin level opposition.

This has no bearing on whether or not she is or would be a good president or person."

Do you want me to disclaim every post I make with "in my opinion" so it's clear I'm not arguing fact?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Oh we're all pretty clear you're not arguing fact, don't worry.

Next time learn how to comprehend what you're reading before you make posts like this.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

So to be a "good candidate" one must be well liked by everyone? That's the only qualifier to be a Good Candidate?

In America? I'd say that your ability to project an image of yourself is more important that anything substantive, yes. Or are we arguing that Americans actually make decisions based on cold hard fact, now? I would think the Democratic primary and the visceral hatred for Clinton from the Bernie quarter (despite her policy prescriptions) would make this somewhat obvious to you of all people.

Aw babby wants an argue. What happened to that world-weary rationality, Mr. Optics?

You're legit boring.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Don't move the goalposts now, Serious Guy. The question is liked by everyone. You're slinging republican conspiracy theories against her, so obviously your ideal candidate would be equally loved by both sides of the aisle and never have a bad word said about him. Let's not pretend there's any "her" that would meet your very serious and rational objective likability criteria.

Do you legit absorb any of the words you read, or even post, or do you just mash on a keyboard whenever you feel a pinch of annoyance?

I have made absolutely no value judgments against Clinton or any of the so-called scandals that have dogged her. I have merely pointed out that partially due to history and partially due to her public persona that she is vulnerable where other candidates (such as Obama) may not be. I'm not condemning her on the basis of Republican propaganda or saying that she needs to be universally loved to be a "good candidate". All of this exists in your head. I merely think that due to the confluence of "flaws" in her candidacy, that she is not a good candidate - in my eyes. If you want to seriously discuss why those things don't matter then please, proceed. But otherwise snappy one-liners and your usual flailing bullshit isn't going to do much to foster a serious conversation.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

straight up brolic posted:

the media have been unfavorable to Hillary, and she has obvious tangible and intangible deficiencies beyond optics, and she is the best remaining candidate.

None of these clauses are incompatible with the other and none of them are false (imo)

Ayup.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hillary Clinton is not the most amazing candidate of all time but she was the best we could ask for this election unless you thought Ryan Chaffe or Martin o'Malley were better.

I agree she is the best candidate we had. Whether or not that necessarily makes her a good candidate is up for debate, I feel.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think the visceral hatred for her from the "Bernie quarter" is rooted in them buying into thirty years of Republican propaganda. I don't think that makes her, inherently a "bad" or "flawed" candidate.

I guess the problem with using "bad" or "flawed" is it implies some kind of value judgment, when I'm really not saying that there is any real reason for her to be a bad candidate. Assuming the media actually did its job and people hadn't bought into years of Republican propaganda, I'd say that she was a fine candidate. But I suppose my perception of the situation is considerably dimmer than yours.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That's essentially my contention.

Well, cool. I suppose there's not much to do to change that, though. No bad blood.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Petr posted:

Bernie trolls come into thread howling nonsense.

Another Bernie troll comes in and asks why we're just now freaking out!

:lol: if you think I'm a Bernie troll.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

weekly font posted:

What people probably mean but are using fewer words to say is that she is a very capable candidate who has 25 years of targeted mudslinging and vitriol to drag around like concrete shoes.

Yeahp.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Petr posted:

I mean, I guess I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks, appreciate that kind of class from our luminary posters

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

Just the fact that she is being openly bankrolled by goldman sachs and the rest of wal street is pretty drat revealing.

Rush Limbaugh isn't bankrolled by wall street, does this mean he is to the left of Clinton?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Enjoying every journalist giving Matt Lauer a collective swirly, hopefully he is covering dog shows from now on.

This entire debacle has somehow given me more faith in the press

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

nachos posted:

I'm reading recaps of this and just want to scream. What the gently caress is wrong with these moderators.

"The View From Nowhere" + Clinton hate

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

cool... bear?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
That Humans of New York piece actually made me like Hillary much more. There's a real humanness that's lacking when she's just talking policy or being shellacked for her emails for the thousandth time.

Hopefully she does more of them, it's interesting to see what's under the political mask.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

speng31b posted:

I like how CNN's headline right now is just "No he didn't", contradicting Trump straight up.

This election and the lovely reporting thus far have forced CNN of all places to take up the mantle of responsible journalism

It's confusing

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

it feels like it's a semi-organized protest of low-level employees who are sick of corey and lord making their network into a national embarrassment

I do enjoy the CNN mutiny theory

Wolf Blitzer marooned on an island in the Caribbean

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Trabisnikof posted:

Because she's just shrill and domineering and unlikable! Sexism has nothing to do with it by golly!

How can sexism have hurt her if she succeeded? Checkmate femnazis

Or in other words:

Muhammad Ali was great at boxing, I wish he would've stopped complaining about racism. Obviously it wasn't that big of a deal for him.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-jerry-brown-signs-climate-laws-20160908-snap-story.html

This is more state-level policy but pretty huge for the US in general, because if this works then we could see a lot of support for tougher climate initiatives in the future

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

QuarkJets posted:

What the gently caress has the thread seriously begun engaging with "CLINTON IS ON DEATH'S DOOR" idiot crazy people?

Half the thread is now those people

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Heat exhaustion happens to perfectly healthy people, as well. The fact that she was perfectly fine a couple hours later is a sign that she's not literally dying you morons

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

RaySmuckles posted:

therefore never talk about anyone's health ever? is the health of a candidate a legitimate topic of discussion and what are the perimeters governing its conversation? Everyone here loves to talk about Ronnie Reagan's soft brain.

Dementia/Alzheimers is a little more serious than heat exhaustion, just I M O

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Familial Idiopathic Basal Ganglia Calcifications????

Personally I think it probably points to Rapid Snap Coiling of the penis

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

ayekappy posted:

It's still a real loving video. Sorry that I went with my first youtube hit for that particular incident. They didn't make it up. Use that reason to ignore it all you want, that's just stupid.

This is a really bad troll 2/10

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

RaySmuckles posted:

lol, you're talking about a thing. therefore you believe it! you people are ridiculous.

i don't give a poo poo about whether Hillary's healthy or not. I know how i'm going to vote and have for a long time.

I just think this thread is full of idiots who would deny hillary's iraq war vote if they thought someone would buy it. Shouting down conversation is stupid and wrong, especially something like "holy poo poo, watch this video evidence of a major public figure having some sort of obvious health issue."

i'm not your "hillary is dying" boogie man.

youre getting real mad about people not being concerned enough about someone having heat exhaustion. a thing that happens to just about every human being

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
I cannot wait to see what happens when Clinton gets something even more serious, like a cold

"Does she have cholera? Show us the transcripts medical records!!"

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

RaySmuckles posted:

nah, the only thing that bums me out is that D&D is insufferable and lovely these days. the last two elections were amazing, but this one is a nightmare for fun reading. whatever.

a video came out today of a famous person doing something unusual, but don't watch it anyone. the only reason people could find it interesting is from decades of republican brainwashing priming them to see this unusual incident as unusual. am i doing this right?

What's insufferable is your poo poo rear end posting. No one with half a brain gives a poo poo if Clinton occasionally feels sick like a normal human being

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

shrike82 posted:

lol at all the denials about clinton being in bad health with this pneumonia thing coming out now

you do know pneumonia is easily curable right

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Guy Goodbody posted:

You do know it's still an illness, right?

Yes, a quite common one! So, as has been the case since the beginning, this entire health discussion is stupid

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

aventari posted:

"Everyone healthy gets pneumonia, has coughing fits, and passes out occasionally, why would anyone ever need to know that?"

--This thread

"I'm a dumb piece of poo poo"

--aventari

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Redgrendel2001 posted:

It's not a giant, let's all freak out deal, but this thread pretending like it's a common cold is silly.

It's not a deal at all, in fact.

• Locked thread