Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Basically the prices were always really expensive, but they were hidden behind insurance for the most part. Pharmaceuticals price-gouged because they could, hospitals and doctors price-gouged to get the insurance companies to pay up. Which meant that insurance companies price-gouged and offered incredibly lovely coverage to a certain section of customers to pay for the gouging while also doing their level best to outright deny service to anyone who looked like they'd be too expensive to cover.

Obamacare tried to fix this by making it illegal for insurance companies to deny customers, and in return people are legally required to have insurance or pay a fine to better subsidize and spread out the costs to the insurers. Well that kinda worked for a while until the insurance companies realized they were merely making a lot of money ($$) instead of a fuckton of money ($$$$) and they started to bitch, whine and pull back where they gave coverage, especially when the government wouldn't bend over backwards to give them blowjobs. And besides, even if the insurance companies weren't being little shits, that would only fix one third of the equation because you still have expensive drugs and expensive service. These things were known but not so blatant before the shakeup because the insurance companies did their best to hide the costs, at least hide them to the rich, white people that mattered. Now with so much chaos in the system the prices are peeking through and even white people are being slapped with the nasty prices.

In short, while the real problem is and has always been that the American healthcare system is a pile of blood-sucking leaches you can totally blame Obamacare if you're an amoral shithead. In trying to fix the problem they created instability that made it impossible for the real problems to be hidden anymore. The prices were always expensive, and Obama tried to fix it. In doing so he knocked over the facade and now the price-gouging machine is visible to all and shrieking loudly enough no one without wads of lobbyist cash stuffed in their ears can ignore it.

A Good Post. There's nothing Republican voters hate more than realizing a problem with their worldview exists, it makes their shriveled empathy flare up and that's inconvenient to their narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I like to point this out but when people talk about a unitary healthcare system, they're missing the forest for the trees. You really have three primary components each trying to squeeze the most amount of money out of the other and in turn out of consumers.

Are you implying that the free market has some kind of flaw?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Also keep in mind that the media are currently dog-piling Hillary for nothing whatsoever, they've just realized she's given them no ammo and are super-desperate.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Radish posted:

I'd like to think the media is really damaging their credibility with all this. Republicans already believe that the media is leftwing and untrustworthy; I can't think that this blatant double standard that some journalists are showing where Trump is being treated like a child and gets a gold star for eating his food without choking is helping them with democrats that are in serious Clinton "scandal" fatigue.

Again a big part of this is because Clinton is not giving them any ammo to shore up the horse race narrative. Like a ton of people ate total poo poo last night when they were crowing about how Trump was "VERY PRESIDENTIAL" then he immediately went full Hitler.

Hillary Clinton is the Luigi of democracy's Mario Party.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

mdemone posted:

It's pretty clearly going to be Cruz, and I am going to love it.

Hell yes, are you ready for a full election season of Cruz's loved ones being visibly repulsed by him :woop:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Or even better, Cruz having to be directed to have any kind of emotional moment with his own mother

(sorry last one, just re-discovered this and holy poo poo I forgot how bad Cruz is at being human)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

I'll read through that, thanks.

emails emails emails Emails Emails Emails EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS :argh:

Seriously, "do nothing" is such a loving amazing strategy here. They have nothing and she's giving them no ammo whatsoever. It's incredible.

EDIT: it's like

"Trump threatens to round up all dissenters to work in coal mines for no pay at gunpoint"

"Hillary's brushing habits: is her floss patriotic enough?"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I'm not as optimistic about the debates, I just assume Trump will childishly shout over everything and/or just leave early because of the clear bias* against him, and everyone will say CLINTON CRUSHED BY TRUMP'S STRONG LEADERSHIP

*facts

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Who is whining about emails? I was asking about the specific email

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DoF Harambe is a noble and pure creature

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Let's get down to the real issues: what background music will Fox News pick for Hillary's inauguration? If I recall Obama got an ominous choir of evil

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Man, did the media collectively decide that today was the day to absolutely lose their loving minds about Hillary ignoring them?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

awesmoe posted:

Yes, today is the day the foxnews opinion pages started going after Hillary Clinton

Even Fox was kinda quiet about it beyond the usual Foxness, but everyone seems to be going in at the same time.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Secret Service: "I'm sorry, but we've found someone more qualified to take your place at this press conference. The President says you need to leave."

Replace: "But...but, is that a chimp smoking a cigar in my usual seat?"

Secret Service: "I think we're done here"

Smokey the Chimp has very sharp insight about the banana trade

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

hexenmexen posted:

This is how Hillary is campaigning as well, and not only does she take money from wealthy donors but she takes money from regimes with values opposite of the average American.

few fun facts

1) This is illegal
2) There's absolutely no proof of this.
3) Trump spends a lot of time courting the Russian elite, whoops.

Like I find it odd that a lot of accusations against Clinton come down to "Literally Wrong And Also Exactly What Trump Is Doing"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

OddObserver posted:

Speaking of foreign donations: apparenty Manafort and his top aide (Gates) have not received paychecks fom Trump. So either he is stuffing them (not unlikely given Trump), or thy were on someone elses payroll at the same time. Likely someone foreign...
(Probably Rinat Akhmetov...)

I think Manafort was explicitly working for free(which would be the most suspicious loving thing to anybody who isn't a massive cheapskate).

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

OddObserver posted:

This is the guy who got like $12 million (likely much more) for his company in one of the two poorest countries in Europe.... Granted, GOP was his home before the disgraced dictators world tour stage of his career....

Jesus, is there anything about Manafort that isn't the shadiest thing imaginable?

Is his dog named I Love Tyranny?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Oracle posted:

Oh my God you just described Tim Kaine's dream debate.

I thought Tim Kaine would be more of a jug band kinda guy.

toot toot toot toot

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

So it turns out that if you've ever clicked through that "Non Disclosure Agreement" so you can volunteer for Trump, you've agreed to never say a bad word about Trump, any member of his family, his businesses or his family's businesses for the rest of your life.

quote:

On Twitter, Sklar noted that the forms also bar volunteers from criticizing Trump’s brands, disclosing anything personal about Trump (including his taxes), or from even employing people who work for Hillary Clinton’s campaign. (That last one’s illegal, Sklar says.)

amazing

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

professor_curly posted:

Courts cost money. Donald Trump (allegedly) has more money than You. A rich person can look you in appeals and retrials and legalese bullshit to drive you into bankruptcy if they so choose, and The Donald likes to do that with blatantly illegal things to force people to settle out of court.

Trump's MO is basically: don't pay someone - get sued - drag out the court case until that person cannot afford to contest it

"But wouldn't just paying the person ultimately be way cheaper" you might ask. Well there's a reason Trump isn't actually that rich.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

Can someone give a primer on the debate mods? I don't really get the "excitement" over them or if I should be arzying or anti;-arzying .

Drudge was immediately desperately reaching for any kind of bias claim, so I'd say that's a fantastic sign.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The train of thought isn't that hard to follow if you think like a self-absorbed idiot

Emails are evidence of corruption because I decided they were ahead of time - emails have no evidence of corruption - I was wrong clearly the corruption evidence was deleted

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

Meanwhile, Trump still deliberately lied about why he can't release his tax returns.

But it's Crooked Hillary who is lying, everyone

Also his weird volunteer contract specifically forbids speaking about them

But did you know that if you turn upside down and squint it looks like Hillary had a chance of maybe doing a bad thing???

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

This contract makes it sound like all volunteers get a printout of his taxes but they're all soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo loyal.

Forced loyalty is a kind of loyalty, I suppose.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Also for those raising concerns over Hillary's age, Trump is older than she is. :v:

Yes but he also has proof that he will be the healthiest candidate in history because he has a signed doctor's note, because apparently the government is primary school.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

They're not concerned about her dying in office. It's all a part of the belief that she's constantly lying about everything and hiding the Truth from the public.

This is still a genuinely brilliant long-term narrative, since she's a LIAR then even if there's no evidence about anything she's accused of it must have existed but she is hiding it, because she loves lies.

Man, Republicans used to be on the loving ball with their evil. The easiness of milking 9/11 to get a free pass on everything for a few years seems to have knocked the guile out of them.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

The thing this election cycle has been really driving home to me is that Republican talking points sound lazy and dumb because they can't say what they want, not because they are lazy and dumb.

That's what the whole SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIORS/WAR ON POLITICAL CORRECTNESS thing is about, things would be so much easier if they could cut out the middle man and just be openly racist/sexist/bigoted without consequence.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Very Important Doctoring

Kro-Bar posted:

Large earthquake (5.6) hits Oklahoma. But what fracking?!

oh wow it seems like forcing liquid into the earth to pry open fissures has negative consequences, who could have imagined this turn of events.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

On Terra Firma posted:

The thing that drives me up a wall with the whole "Clinton is a LIAR" thing is that you can go through any fact checking website and see Trump lies through his teeth left and right. Comparing their statements and seeing how true most of them are isn't even close. When I bring that up they say the sites have a liberal bias. When I ask them to point out where the bias is they can't show anything. These people are not even worth arguing against. They say they hate liars but they back Trump. That tells me all I need to know so I ignore them. You can't even have an argument with them about policy like you could in the past.

Tell me you want to carpet bomb every Muslim country on earth. I get it. Tell me you want to go back to the gold standard. You're dumb but I get that. Tell me you want to dismantle every EPA protection. Ok sure. Tell me you hate Clinton because she lies but love Trump because he's honest...What?

The explanation is as simple as it is inexcusable: decades of indoctrination by the right fear-machine. The overall feeling of "Clinton is a shady liar" comes from a lot of hard work and constant baseless accusations, and the right has been presenting facts and feelings as the same thing, because it's one way to get around the mental paradox of conflicting beliefs. Combine that with the human brain's extreme reluctance to admit it's wrong(especially with the dumb/self-absorbed) and you've got a nearly invincible bullshit wall.

I.e: ""Trump is an honest man and Hillary is a liar", reality clearly disagrees with this, but feelings are just as important as facts and I feel that these things are true. Since they are true, anybody saying otherwise must be at fault because of bias. To take this train of thought any further would make me uncomfortable, so it stops there."

Things usually devolve to shouting if they get pushed beyond that, because admitting you're wrong etc.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 3, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

do you think that love can bloom even on the supreme court

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Night10194 posted:

My fear is that Trump's current team knows no-one is really paying attention to his rallies and so if they can keep these stunts in the media, he can still give his insane Nuremberg speeches and rallies as a nice treat so that he won't go off message during the 'outreach' events.

You really gotta stop worrying yourself to death every time Trump goes five seconds without being fascist garbage, The only people he's winning over are people he does not need in any way.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

readingatwork posted:

So all this talk of the Clinton administration made me remember this amazing interview with Sir James Goldsmith on the topic of Globalization from back in 94:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PQrz8F0dBI

It's spooky how right he is about a lot of stuff. Particularly interesting is the Clinton administration official they get on later in the show. If you want to understand why older lefties kind of hate the Clintons this will do a good job of explaining it.

I thought the 20+ years of dedicated media attacks explained it well enough instead of the ~globalization~ boogeyman.

I can't really understand how obsessive some people get over it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

readingatwork posted:

Admitting you were wrong and changing your opinion isn't the same thing as never believing in anything to begin with.

Now the tricky part: explain why Hillary Clinton doing exactly this is bad.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ice Phisherman posted:

Sometimes I feel like when Trump or the republicans aren't making GBS threads on the floor and rolling in it the left eats itself alive over trivialities at worst and trips over its own dick and best.

Hey, that doesn't happen!

Anymore.

As much.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

readingatwork posted:

Please explain why I'm a crazy hippie asking for ponies and rainbows just for wanting a political system that doesn't rely on a vast amounts of legalized bribery to get people in power.

Because you don't want that political system to come at the hands of Hillary for no other reason than you feel that Hillary Bad.

EDIT: I mean I'm not going to suggest that she will solve the US's problems overnight with her powerful sorcery, but that there's a few people who would rather throw out everything than have the most progress in a long time be at the hands of Lyin' Hillary.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

readingatwork posted:

Actually I'll be voting for Hillary in November. I'm just really, really unhappy about the next 4-8 years of constant triangulation to the right.

She's running on one of the most left-leaning platforms in forever and has been totally consistent about it, you have absolutely no reason to think that she'll initiate "triangulation to the right" besides the fact that you personally do not like her.

EDIT: I was on the "Hillary is suspicious and shady because reasons" train for a while too until I actually bothered to learn something about her.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Feldegast42 posted:

You know people keep going on about this magical oppo file that will nuke Trump off the map but how true is that?

The oppo file just reads "He is literally Donald Trump lmao"

It's all they need.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kilroy posted:

It's all they've used so far, and he is steadily chipping away at her lead.

Also steadily chipping away at any progress he ever makes

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dexo posted:

If they don't keep the senate, hell even if they do it would be hard as poo poo to justify holding on to a justice for 2 years.

Like that's ever stopped them before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

is there anything more boring than the pearl clutching 'so THIS is what a presidential election is?!' that comes from the most dull and useless people every time someone sells a t-shirt with a politician's face on a pig's rear end or something?

Chia Gingrich is legit real funny though.

Look at his grump face, he's probably already thinking about how to ditch his latest Chia-wife after she caught a cold.

• Locked thread