Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Gee, I wonder who the goober a few over on Trump's left idolizes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AMorePerfctGoonion posted:

Biases are like being crazy. If you're sane enough to wonder whether you are crazy or not, you almost certainly aren't. Similarly if you are self-reflective and thoughtful enough to consider your own biases, you're most likely one of the few members of America's ever-dwindling reality-based community

I mean there's no question I'm biased, but I try to be as aware as possible of them and try to put them aside. Still, I can't listen to a Trump speech and accurately determine how it's landing with his supporters because it all sounds like insane racist rantings to me.

Also the fact that I view Trump as an existential threat to human kind means, to me, that both-sides-ism is helping bring about the end of mankind. "Meteor, Humans Sound Off on Twitter"

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

awesmoe posted:

Some of them will do actual journalism regardless (and currently are), some of them will never ever do that. However, it is good for your society (not good for hillary clinton, but for your country) for there to be a habit and expectation of the president being open and available to the press.
like, someone commented that the clinton foundation donor meetings story happened because the foundation was transparent beyond their strict legal requirements. Good! jesus christ, if your secretary of state's husband is taking donations that kind of transparency is the least you can ask for.
The fact that the Clintons are (or appear to be) pretty much squeaky clean is great, and you should feel good about voting for her, but the reason they bend no rules ever (well, since bill) is because they loving know they'd be found out if they step out of line. And that's a really good thing in a president. Part of that accountability is having a regular, open channel of communication with the major news outlets. Maybe she plans to start when she's elected, but she's shown no sign of it so far and that's a bad thing.

Again normally I would agree with you, but until the Clinton rules apply to everyone else, the best thing she can do is to never talk to them.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
So it turns out that if you've ever clicked through that "Non Disclosure Agreement" so you can volunteer for Trump, you've agreed to never say a bad word about Trump, any member of his family, his businesses or his family's businesses for the rest of your life.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

So it turns out that if you've ever clicked through that "Non Disclosure Agreement" so you can volunteer for Trump, you've agreed to never say a bad word about Trump, any member of his family, his businesses or his family's businesses for the rest of your life.

Well, first, who would ever have anything bad to say about Trump and anything associated with him

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

zoux posted:

I mean there's no question I'm biased, but I try to be as aware as possible of them and try to put them aside. Still, I can't listen to a Trump speech and accurately determine how it's landing with his supporters because it all sounds like insane racist rantings to me.

Also the fact that I view Trump as an existential threat to human kind means, to me, that both-sides-ism is helping bring about the end of mankind. "Meteor, Humans Sound Off on Twitter"

A Trump presidency scares me as an extinction-level-event, but Trump supporters scare me more - people who are literally staring at the asteroid hurtling towards them and putting up lawn signs to welcome its arrival. I feel like we're living in some deranged experiment in group psychology that makes the results of Milgram and Zimbardo look like good news about the human psyche. Hopefully the people in white coats will come out at any moment and we'll all have a big laugh together and tell each other how we got so fooled into believing it was real...

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Shillary posted:

Again normally I would agree with you, but until the Clinton rules apply to everyone else, the best thing she can do is to never talk to them.

The hilarious part is how Trump hasn't reacted by warmly inviting the press, and instead antagonizes and demonizes them as much as possible. Yet another giant lost opportunity that is so INCREDIBLY obvious.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Like, why was birtherism dropped as a campaign issue? Why has the press allowed that to go completely unchallenged since he got in the race? I get why the Clinton campaign doesn't raise it, they might see some vulnerability there because it can be tied back to pro-Clinton supporters from 2008. But the press?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

zoux posted:

Like, why was birtherism dropped as a campaign issue? Why has the press allowed that to go completely unchallenged since he got in the race? I get why the Clinton campaign doesn't raise it, they might see some vulnerability there because it can be tied back to pro-Clinton supporters from 2008. But the press?

They would really rather the race was a little closer.

Why do you think we've seen a bajillion 'TRUMP IS MAKING A COMEBACK WE SWEAR PLEASE ARZY' articles lately?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

Because of the fiction of objectivity. They confuse objectivity with BOTH SIDES HAVE EQUAL VALUE AND MERIT.

They're also wickedly afraid of being called Bias.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

zoux posted:

Hillary brought up Trump's birtherism in her speech tying him to the alt right.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Honestly I find the idea of a vast and concerted media conspiracy to make the race as close as possible to be ridiculous.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The hilarious part is how Trump hasn't reacted by warmly inviting the press, and instead antagonizes and demonizes them as much as possible. Yet another giant lost opportunity that is so INCREDIBLY obvious.

It's a cult-right thing because they believe that (((jews))) own the media and use it to encourage immigration, race mixing and the dreaded "political correctness". Declaring outright war on the entire press is actually a dog whistle to white nationalists as well as being a rationalization of the fact that Trump will almost certainly lose in a big way, just like the accusations of vote rigging.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Trollbama called dibs on birtherism and will use it at the best moment.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

zoux posted:

Honestly I find the idea of a vast and concerted media conspiracy to make the race as close as possible to be ridiculous.

It's not vast and concerted. It's more like 'Oh no, Clinton is only up 6!' type clickbait.

Also, for a better explanation, birtherism is something we've dealt with it for 8 years, so the media probably assumes people aren't being drawn by it anymore. Not that this explains them continuing 25 year old assaults on Clinton.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

quote:

You wanted Mike Bloomberg to invite you to dinner at his townhouse. You wanted the Times to run a three-part story about you, that you meditate and are a passionate kayaker and collect 14th-century Islamic mosaics. You wish you were that person but you didn't have the time.

Garrison Keillor is a national treasure.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

That would own.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

https://twitter.com/kaysteiger/status/771707906404261888

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

iospace posted:

Nope! The oppo binders have only been cracked open a couple times, the most recent was a collection of Trump's thoughts on Mexico.

referencing poo poo that happened during the election isn't even oppo work

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

PhazonLink posted:

I think that already happened. Or at least I can't think of a better time than when he was stuck on camera getting roasted at the correspondants' dinner.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's important that the burden of responding to sexual harassment in the workplace fall upon the harassee.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Yeah, woman, can't you learn to take a joke? *slaps subordinate woman on the rear end*

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

quote:

On Twitter, Sklar noted that the forms also bar volunteers from criticizing Trump’s brands, disclosing anything personal about Trump (including his taxes), or from even employing people who work for Hillary Clinton’s campaign. (That last one’s illegal, Sklar says.)

amazing

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

zoux posted:

It's likely seen as an Old Story. That's just the best I've got - it flies right in the face of his "African American Outreach", and fits right in with his larger pattern of racism.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/771720292272070656

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Night10194 posted:

They would really rather the race was a little closer.

Why do you think we've seen a bajillion 'TRUMP IS MAKING A COMEBACK WE SWEAR PLEASE ARZY' articles lately?

Plus Presidential election years for media companies are as Christmas for retailers, they need that money and they want it to keep flowing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ComradeCosmobot posted:

what

EDIT: :psyboom:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

*HRC Campaign Opens Oppo Research File, fingers through giant tome... hands one to Reporter*

http://www.out.com/news-opinion/2016/9/01/mike-pence-wrote-article-urging-employers-not-hire-gay-people

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

This excruciating analysis of Trump's various hand-waving movements has made me much dumber

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

WampaLord posted:

I first read Chris Wallace as Chris Matthews and went :shepface: mentally for a minute there.

chris matthews is the most entertainingly wrong man on television
:sad: we dont have a :ha!: with his face peekin out

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Crowsbeak posted:

Duluth really needs some good Mexican food. Can I talk to Soros to let me vote twice?

Duluth, MN or Duluth, GA?

If Minnesota...uh, yeah. It's pretty grim trying to get good mexican food here. At least we can get Indian food and there's good Vietnamese to be had.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

*HRC Campaign Opens Oppo Research File, fingers through giant tome... hands one to Reporter*

http://www.out.com/news-opinion/2016/9/01/mike-pence-wrote-article-urging-employers-not-hire-gay-people

[professor voice]I suppose I can part with one and still be feared[/professor voice]

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Halman posted:

Duluth, MN or Duluth, GA?

If Minnesota...uh, yeah. It's pretty grim trying to get good mexican food here. At least we can get Indian food and there's good Vietnamese to be had.

Minnesota. Also is Clinton going to start pointing out all of Trumps bankruptcies?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

N00ba the Hutt posted:

If you think this thread is bad now, just imagine what we'll be like next year at this time! :v:

Fun bit from Robert Costa et al. at WaPo about the backstory behind Trump changing nothing on immigration.
My major takeaway is that the Trump showrunners are very much high on their own supply, and apparently think the two speeches yesterday "won him the election." I always find it fascinating when it's not just the PR flaks who get run out to proclaim the party line, but the entire apparatus that's existing apart from objective reality. I'm looking forward to the confusion of their team on election night.

quote:

At meetings Thursday on the 14th floor of Trump Tower in Manhattan, the candidate’s top aides held the opposite view. They thought his tough talk on immigration — combined with a whirlwind trip to Mexico on Wednesday — had, in the words of one adviser, “won him the election.”

Yes, yes, this is delicious. I haven't had anything this pure since...fall 2012?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

ComradeCosmobot posted:

surely that can't be legal, right? can you literally sign away your rights to criticize somebody for as long as you live? :stare:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Everybody read this, it's short and it's so much worse than you think. I thought it would be like "those whiny queers will sue you for saying 'fag' but no, gays are "not able-bodied" and riddled with disease.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Everybody read this, it's short and it's so much worse than you think. I thought it would be like "those whiny queers will sue you for saying 'fag' but no, gays are "not able-bodied" and riddled with disease.

YUP!

Pence is a vile, vile piece of poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Like, after that NY Magazine article today, the entire press corps should be all over the Trump campaign about if/why/how long Ailes is a campaign adviser, they should be camped out at this Bedminster golf club where these advisory sessions go on to get pictures of Ailes going in and out, but the press seems to be content to let them simply deny what's happening

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

If you didn't have time to crunch the numbers on yesterday's biggest headline, don't worry. The Washington Post has you covered.

The national economic implications of a taco truck on every corner

quote:

The first question we must answer is how many trucks we're talking about. A corner is dependent on an intersection of street, a place where two roads meet or where one road turns. For the purposes of our thought experiment, we will assume that Gutierrez didn't mean a truck literally on every corner — that would be ridiculous. Instead, let's assume that he meant a truck at every intersection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TVarmy posted:

Amazing. They think just calling mass deportation humane will win people over.

I was honestly expecting him to keep saying he's listening to everyone's opinion and evolving on immigration until November. Or even say he's keeping his final immigration policy a secret so that the cartels don't plan ahead. That way, he'd still get to talk about building the wall and how terrible immigrants are, but also say he'll make nonspecific allowances for "the good ones."

When someone already firmly supports you, you don't have to give a good rebuttal to arguments against you, you just have to give a rebuttal. That's pretty much what's happening here, rather than actually trying to escape the accusations of racism, he's just giving his supporters something to help them rationalize away the accusations of racism. It's Trump's weak point in the general election - he focuses pretty much exclusively on people who already love him and makes little effort to reach out to voters who aren't already in those cheering crowds. Unlike his primary opponents, who fell all over themselves trying to steal away his crowds, Hillary's content to leave his base to him and take everyone else.

Geostomp posted:

What worries me is that Trump surrounding himself with equally racist yes-men is going to get him really believing in his "rigged election" stories and order the remaining true believers following him into full on terrorism after his failure. The Neo-Nazis aren't going to take their one last real shot burning out lightly and he's not likely to do anything to discourage them. We are likely looking at a good number of hate crimes at minimum beginning in November.

I'm not so sure about that. The megaracists managed to go eight years under Barack Hussein Obama, black president extraordinaire, without causing much real trouble. And these were people who believed the system was so rigged that Obama wasn't even really eligible to be President. They're all bark, no bite.

AMorePerfctGoonion posted:

On the flip side, we've never seen a personality cult like Trump's in modern times, perhaps even since FDR. I've never known the supporters of a politician to care so little about their policies and to just trust them to do the right thing once in office like Trump supporters do. I'm sure the anti-immigrant rhetoric is a powerful motivator but even when Trump wavered on immigration his supporters stuck with him and justified that he was just pretending to pivot for the sake of the election. I wish I knew why he was so hypnotically effective at what he does. Perhaps it's because he is a wealthy person that people can imagine themselves being, because he doesn't alienate the uneducated by being too young or too smart or an expert at anything in particular. And when people are afraid they naturally tend to look to authoritative older men to protect themselves.

The Trump personality cult reminds me quite a bit about the Ron Paul cult, actually, right down to the same behavior of completely ignoring the candidates' policies. In the case of Ron Paul, it was mostly because he espoused a lot of unique opinions not shared by anyone else in Congress, so if someone really liked one of his policies (like, say, "legalize weed") then they'd fixate so deeply on him that they'd completely ignore or rationalize everything else he said (like, say, "repeal the Civil Rights Act"). It's the same with a lot of Trump supporters - since he goes against the orthodoxy on things like trade and foreign policy and corporate money, they're willing to block out everything else he says, up to and including the specific details of those policies they like in the abstract.

botany posted:

surely that can't be legal, right? can you literally sign away your rights to criticize somebody for as long as you live? :stare:

The real question is whether you're willing to pay a lawyer a lot of money to argue that in court when Trump sues you for it.

• Locked thread