Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009

ZobarStyl posted:

Also, gently caress the idea that liberals are 'torn' on violence.

Whats Hillary Clinton's position on the death penalty again
(just as one example)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The only violence liberals seem categorically against is violence against property in a protest from what I've seen

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

https://youtu.be/Zip4QyJyD5g
e: i can't believe someone already made this same exact post

rscott fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 2, 2016

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

US prison terms are absolutely insane compared to the rest of the world. I realize that not everyone gets the maximum penalty but it should not even be an option. Like the guy in the article who got 12 years for selling pills, that's just nuts.

The other thing that gets me is the insane disparity between the financial penalties and the prison terms. Like I see tons of laws where the maximum penalty is $500-1000 and 3 years in prison. Like maybe if it's actually worth sticking someone in prison for 3 years over it might be worth more than a $500 fine? The fine is of course the reasonable punishment and the prison term is the unreasonable one, but it just makes it blatantly obvious how nuts our prison sentences are.

Monetary fines actually wind up loving a lot of prisoners, like there was some guy in new york who had to stay on probation for 14 months because he couldn't come up with $200 to pay the fine attached to his sentence

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It doesn't mean LITERALLY nothing, because having downloaded data to so many devices and not kept track of them when they were disposed of means that data could be theoretically accessible. More devices means more opportunities to make a mistake. In practice, nothing happened though.

Pretty much every single revelation in the Clinton email saga is "State Department IT sucked, Hillary should have known better, but didn't want to wait. She ignored the IT rules in 2009 and then kept doing it for 3 more years because she had already been doing it and it was easier. Nothing bad ended up happening, but it was risky and she just didn't care."

Literally the only reason why businesses bothered to use blackberries is because they were the only phones that could be remotely managed for a long time. Like that was BES' only redeeming feature. I don't know the details of her server setup but it seems reasonable to me to assume that these phones were locked and remotely wiped as soon as they were discovered missing/broken

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
You're going to really have to show your work around here if you are saying that Hillary Clinton isn't principled, it's not nearly as true as you're saying here

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
FYI China is actually outsourcing some C919 (their first internally designed passenger jet) production to the United States because they don't have enough high quality production infrastructure to make everything in the country, so globalization does cut both ways

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The traditional leftist argument against neoliberal globalization isn't to protect first world jobs as much as it is to give the nascent industries in developing nations you know, time to actually develop instead of flooding their markets with foreign goods they have no chance of competing with.
The United States' fairly unique nexus of a well trained labor force with relatively low employment costs actually makes the country a good target to outsource expensive European and Japanese manufacturing to, which is why VW and Toyota and the like make so many cars in the southern US

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The reason why people won't take jobs with poo poo wages but good benefits is that good benefits can disappear at any time, but taking a job with a low wage bends your wage curve for the rest of your career

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

It's mind-boggling how anyone who follows this election can maintain the illusion that the media can/will do whatever they need to do to bring him down. WaPo is the only one doing its job this year.

The same WaPo who published an article yesterday talking about how it was Hillary Clinton's fault that she is attacked by a right wing media conspiracy machine because she didn't open up enough to the media (actually The Washington Post, natch) about Whitewater?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...49a6_story.html

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

computer parts posted:

Nah, more accurate is that Bernie targeted white progressives (who tend to skew younger) and touched on issues that appealed to young people in general.

Remember that he started out by saying that Ferguson was due to black youth not having jobs, which is almost exactly what Trump is saying now.

and Hillary Clinton started out by literally not being able to describe what White Privilege is, so i guess it would be fair to say that both of their stances have evolved on the issue of the course of their primary campaigns

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

computer parts posted:

Which doesn't change the fact that Bernie primarily targeted white progressives. The only evidence of that changing is post-Super Tuesday, and even then it was too little too late.

That seems to be the fault of listening to Jeff Weaver on the issue which I think even most ardent Sanders supporters agree was and continues to be a terrible idea

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
In 10 years when stage 4 cars start hitting the markets fishmech will just say that they're not fully autonomous cars because you have to pick a destination

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

computer parts posted:

Oh, so it's 10 years now? Already doubling the projected time from Ford.

Do you not understand what jokes are

e: the answer is obviously "no" btw

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

fishmech posted:

That poo poo's not going to happen though. Unless your definition of "hitting the market" is "well if you have $2 million to spare and don't need to drive anywhere that doesn't maintain perfect pavement marking, and also is always sunny".

Hillary Clinton is gonna get a bunch of infrastructure spending passed right and the droughts in California are only gonna get worse, and all those silicon Valley types will have the cash to spare, sounds plausable to me

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

DemeaninDemon posted:

Labor day's a good day for me to make about 100/hr.

Really anyone who doesn't realize labor day's about the men and women who were injured, maimed, and killed building this nation deserve shaming.

That holiday is on May 1st, today is the milquetoast lovely american version

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Phyllis Schlafly is dead and good loving riddance

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Popular Thug Drink posted:

personally i think the 2040 future will be a preponderance of self driving cars having to deal with a small hard core of luddites and gearheads who refuse to let a machine drive their car

Considering how many gearheads won't even let a computer shift gears for them I'd say this is p accurate

I mean I personally plan on driving cars from the 80s until I can't drive any more but that's a question of aesthetics more than anything else

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I do my own ignition timing

Same, but only on my Mercedes diesel
Valve adjustments are manual on both cars though :(

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

"Henry Kissinger endorsed Clinton!" -> "He didn't officially endorse her but he considered it" -> "He never considered it but he seems to like her 'informally'"
It's more like she considers him a friend and repeatedly asked him for advice and counsel while she was secretary of state

You know while we're correcting the record and knocking down strawmen and poo poo

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

remember when clinton bombed Cambodia

So you are OK with Hillary Clinton asking a war criminal for advice

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
FWIW I think the fact that Clinton is following Obama, who is really one of the most scandal free presidents of all time doesn't do her any favors

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Lemming posted:

What, did you forget all the terrorist fist jabbing and HURRICANE BENGHASZI!?!?!

I was thinking more in context of his personal/private life really, but the media overall is less credulous when it comes to ginned up scandals on concerning Obama than they are Clinton

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That's something zen poo poo right there, if you say a racism but no one is around to hear it, does it really matter?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Kalman posted:

Politicians rarely read their minor speeches beforehand, and almost never edit or approve them. It's rare you get more than a cursory read unless it's a major speech. A random campaign stop? Not a chance in hell.

Her chief of staff and comms director might have edited and signed off (that's Maggie Williams and Lisa Caputo). Bill's staff might have. Clinton almost certainly wouldn't have.

But as we have repeatedly established before, you know loving nothing about politics.

Politicians are literally Ron Burgundy and this is supposed to be a point in her defense? lol

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
So how many pages did you guys spend arguing with what goons who read too much telesurv and RT think Hillary Clinton is like irl

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Question: Having a discussion about BLM and Kaep with my fellow white coworkers. What is the best thing to say in response to black on black crime rates?

85+% of white murders are by, you guessed it, white people! Because the most likely person to kill you is someone that knows you and the United States is still super segregated

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Note that the countries that the United States stuck its dick in and started proxy wars actually includes both China and Russia

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

iospace posted:

So apparently news as a whole is more liberal?
https://twitter.com/DougSaunders/status/773606554356420608

reality has a known liberal bias.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Relitigating the emails poo poo for the millionth time makes me just want to change the channel

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I know this is kinda a hostile venue and all but jfc

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump is doing worse than Hilary

Yeah this isn't going so well for him

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Correcting the person who is giving you a question like that doesn't seem like a great idea

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Nice, bringing up tweets from 2013, I hope that's a thing that continues

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
88, come the gently caress on that can't be a coincidence

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

WampaLord posted:

Jesus Christ, what a shitshow.

I can't wait for the debates.

Yeah she is going to eviscerate him live on TV because if the moderators aren't going to call him on his poo poo you know she will

Wonder what Maddow is going say about this

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Is the way Hillary Clinton is using ground troops commonly accepted by military types or is that another thing they're gonna whine about

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
lmao this fuckin guy

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Put homeless veterans in concentration camps in Detroit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Bahahahaha he wasn't even right, that is just Peak Trump right there goddamn

• Locked thread