Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Yes. Empiricism requires faith to work as well too as you can't use empiricism to prove empiricism.

So literally everything requires faith in your mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Luna Was Here posted:

Doesn't tesla also have a pretty huge disclaimer with those cars that you still have to pay attention and that the car isn't completely autonomous? Like people being irresponsible drivers doesn't seem like their fault

People aren't going to stop being irresponsible idiots though

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Perhaps he should have listened to, read, and watched all the safety documentation which clearly stated what Autopilot is and isn't. Hint: it doesn't drive your car for you.

Maybe they shouldn't call it autopilot then

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

I fail to see why this is the occasion where reality should conform to the misconceptions of the ignorant. How many people who can't learn the meaning of one word can afford 80 thousand dollar cars?

Mostly because it will lead to deaths for no good reason. Also, very many.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Eschers Basement posted:

You act like what comes after American hegemony is something other than a bunch of countries, including Russia and China, unabashedly dicking around with other countries and starting their own proxy wars. If you had a convincing argument that America abandoning its hegemony would lead to enlightened global self-determination, I'd listen, but since you don't, I'll stick with the less malevolent status quo.

Because the US has a such stellar track record of not dicking around with other countries and starting their own proxy wars.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FairGame posted:

If you think that you should use ad block to get at that content for free, you are literally stealing.

It is literally not stealing.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

...dude, journalism has always been for-pay.

Like, it's never going to be for free, because that would require government funding, and government holding the purse strings on journalism is never a good thing.

State funded news/TV-stations are really common in other countries though (and often do really good work).

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

If only US media was more like RT

If only BBC was more like Fox News

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Well they both did their part to cover up lies about Iraq

There are a ton examples of examples of good public broadcasting services, I just used BBC because it's well known. Acting like the only alternative to American style media is RT is idiotic.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

OddObserver posted:

The BBC has some of the same problems US media does: 'balance' over Truth, self-important and arrogance. They are by no means a standard of excellence when it comes to reporting.

I don't disagree with that but the BBC is still much better than most other UK-based media though. God the media in the UK is such a shitshow.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Like PBS?

I would say the same about PBS, NPR, ProPublica and other non-profit news orgs in the US.

Why are you acting like state funded media is some affront to journalism when I literally never said that it's the only option, just that it can provide good journalism?

Andrast fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 8, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Which is their own fault. If they made better ads they would get more clicks. Adblock has a function to show non-intrusive ads. If they made good, non-intrusive ads, they'd get clicks.

They probably wouldn't.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Because we already have public journalism and I'm a little suspect that the Bush Adminstration's mouthpiece would have been better about WMDs than CNN.

But then again, I'm glad I don't need government approval to own a TV either.

You are being really weird about a form of media that's present pretty much every European country.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

And it exists in the US too. That's the part you seem to miss.

Alright, the US has similar systems. How does this affect my original point that journalism doesn't need to be for-pay at all?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/09/07/the-origin-of-julian-assange-and-wikileaks-war-on-hillary-clinton.html

What are the chances Assange actually has some damaging material he's just sitting on until October?

Nonexistent.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Well, he has destroyed the Republican party. Half-way done!

He hasn't.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

NathanScottPhillips posted:

The two party system is a brilliant political theater to lock our country in place. We have representatives in the Senate and Congress since the 1950s, 95% are lawyers. All they do all day is lawyer-talk each other in public all day, then laugh and joke in private all night. Politically, our country is in the same place is was half a century ago. Arguing about women's equality, the environment, and middle east oil.

You want to put Hillary Clinton in charge, she is the definition of status quo.

Let's get 4 or 5 parties or more into the mix and then we can have a government that represents us like the best parts of the rest of the world.

So

1. Elect Trump
2. ???
3. The terrible FPTP system is fixed

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The Germans found that out too. Hmm, what was their solution to that problem?

And literally everybody isn't dead right now so accelerationism must have worked, time to elect Trump

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

So what about Trump's horrible policies that the GOP also supports? You are deluding yourself if you think all of Trump's policies are something the party doesn't like.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

So he's someone even worse/stupider than a Trump voter, a libertarian.

That makes sense.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

I mean, I know you buy into some conspiracy theories. But to be that bad, she'd have to literally be Sauron.

Sauron was fine with minorities so he'd be better than Trump though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Yinlock posted:

Look a very embarrassing meltdown is a natural part of everyone who was both a Bernie Sanders supporters and completely nuts' natural transition into a corncob.

I'm pretty sure that libertarian wasn't actually a Bernie supporter, it was just something he could use to bitch about Hillary

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

smg77 posted:

I love that Trump has a huge stash of giant portraits of himself.

Who doesn't?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Clinton campaign has released a new picture of Clinton in the prime of health

Looking good

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Morrow posted:

Wow, this is actually a thing.

It is literally the most popular manga ever

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

iospace posted:

GMOs to this liberal are fine. Monsanto can get hosed with a combine sideways though because they're a bunch of slimeballs.

What bad things do you think Monstanto has done compared to any other big company?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Young people are dumb but somehow still less dumb than old people

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TyrantWD posted:

Millennials can't cry foul on the Democrats being too centrist, and then flock to Gary Johnson.

Literally every young person is going to vote Gary Johnson.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If the democrats had a better candidate their membership would presumably have voted for that candidate in the primaries.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

mcmagic posted:

It wasn't unfair that he lost. He lost fair and square. It was still the wrong decision by the voters and the party just as the lack of any other viable candidates running was a mistake.

What makes you think Sanders would fare any better against Trump when the democrat party members preferred Clinton to Sanders?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

emdash posted:

Posting on reddit is actually very pointless

So is posting here

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

They look like idiots, op

So Trump voters then?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Edible Hat posted:

I am saying don't call strangers dumb.

Anybody who considers voting for Trump is either dumb or an rear end in a top hat (or both).

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

But they haven't. Most of them would deny being fascists and would argue that in fact it is you and Hillary who are the real fascists.

And that would confirm that they are really loving dumb

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Doredrin posted:

Obviously I was being humorous when I said they could shoot anyone for any reason, but the reality is closer to that than most people would like to think. Cops are going to act however the law allows them to act, protesting against them is not going to change much.

Somehow they manage to not murder white people for no reason though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

radical meme posted:

Also, violence doesn't accomplish anything.

Violence accomplishes a lot actually

• Locked thread