Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

The biggest surprise for me is how small the sample size is for some of these polls. I thought a small poll was about 10k, not 100.

A small poll is usually somewhere under 1,000. Even just with a sample size of 500 you're down to 4% MOE. Going all the way up to 1,000 people gets you a 3% MOE which is pretty standard.

Reuters' statewide numbers are weird because they're doing a huge national poll of thousands of people but then also publishing the results state-by-state. So if their nationwide poll had 100 people from Nebraska, they publish those 100 people as if it were a separate poll which is why you end up with wacky results and 10% MOEs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Speaking of, here's yet another article on how shameless NC Republicans are about preventing "democrats who just happen to be black" from voting:

"How dare you call us racist, we're just aggressively disenfranchising voters because they're democrats, so it's all above board!"

Notice they don't even bother using the "in-person voter fraud" fig leaf anymore.

I love the logic that discriminating against Black and Hispanic people based on their race, using data compiled about their race and targeting their race using that data, is not racist because those categories of people tend to vote for the Democrats.

I wonder what would happen if there was a black-majority state that targeted white people for voter suppression and then justified it by saying "hey, if white people didn't want to be voter suppressed, they shouldn't have been so Republican". I wonder how that would play out.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

I fully agree with this.

Yes, W was a bad president. McCain and Romney wouldn't have been great, either. But the language the left has used left no room to describe how horrible Trump is past that

Conversely, this is also true of the right. They've spent so long describing even the most milquetoast centrist Democrats as the reincarnation of Karl Marx and Joseph Stalin's lovechild that when an actual leftist comes along (like Sanders, for example) they don't have the vocabulary to describe how such a person differs from the insane leftist radical image they've created of every generic Democrat.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/sep/03/breakthrough-us-china-agree-ratify-paris-climate-change-deal

The US and China have agreed to ratify the Paris Climate Agreement.

Maybe we can get a DTrump speech where he rails against the concept of the environment to remind young people why they need to vote for Clinton.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

This is the same guy who thinks Starbucks puts gay semen in their lattes for some unknown purpose, I'm sure he'd be very welcoming to Trump if his church hadn't been repossessed and turned into a shelter for homeless gay youth.

e:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

readingatwork posted:

"Globalism" was me loving up the word "Globalization" so maybe other people are doing the same thing? Both are likely referring to the same ideological mindset of "more open trade + fewer restrictions = better"

It's an understandable slip-up but you should also realize that nowadays the most common use of "Globalism" is by the alt-right as a scare word meaning "people/an ideology that wants to bring immigrants into America in order to dilute white culture, and also wants to erode white economic power by giving away our economy to foreigners, all in service of a mysterious international cabal [of totally not Jews we're not Nazis we promise]." Basically the most reductionist view of globalization and immigration possible, framed in the most white nationalist terms possible. So the globalization/globalism slip-up is not really one you want to be making.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
When Hillary Clinton fought for universal health care in the 1990s it was really just a covert plan to enact globalism in service of wealthy donors, rather than a principled attempt to enact an unpopular policy beneficial for all Americans.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

The fun thing with this map is that VA is next to impossible for Trump to win. It was trending towards Clinton already and Tim Kaine is going to easily give her another 1-2 points there. The odds she doesn't take OH or FL (or both) is lower than Trump winning North Carolina at this point.

Also going back five elections doesn't reflect the new reality that states like Colorado and New Mexico are pretty much Dem locks by this point, to the degree that they barely even get polled because polls show Clinton up by ~10 points. Take that map, put Virginia, Colorado, and New Mexico in the blue pile, and Clinton has already won without even needing any of the real swing states.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

iospace posted:

Here's my question: One candidate openly insults the press, the other ignores them, but doesn't insult them.

Why the gently caress do they treat them the same outside of "horserace"?

There is a long-running feud between Hillary Clinton and the media that leads to both sides treating the other like garbage. The only real difference is that Hillary is right because the media actually is garbage.

http://www.vox.com/2015/7/6/8900143/hillary-clinton-reporting-rules

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao the Guardian has an article exploring how Trump is causing wider divisions in voting intention among married people than ever before, and includes gems like this:

quote:

“Between married men and married women, there is a record gender gap right now,” said Celinda Lake, head of the Democratic polling firm Lake Research Partners. Married women, a group won by the Republican Mitt Romney in 2012, are currently supporting Clinton by about 12 points, Lake said.

“We have a situation where Donald Trump’s personal style is just so offensive to women, and it is much more salient to women than it is to men.”

Some husbands seem less than thrilled by this dynamic. In voter interviews, Lake has noticed an unusual number of married women reporting that their husbands have pressed them to vote for Trump.

“We’ve had it come up in our focus groups extensively,” Lake said. “That always happens toward the end, but it’s coming up in this election much sooner than usual.”

In Columbus, Ohio, three door-to-door canvassers for Working America, a group affiliated with the labor federation AFL-CIO, reported similar versions of the same story: after leaving a house where the husband planned to vote for Trump, the wife chased the canvasser down the street to say that under no circumstances would she do the same.

quote:

Lake believes many couples try to excise politics from their relationships, and not just in the heated final months of the 2016 race. Several years ago, her firm conducted a survey in which 72% of men but only 49% of women said with confidence that their partners would vote the same way they did.

“We called it the, ‘Sure, honey’ factor,” Lake said. “Guys just assume who their wives are voting for. And I think some women go, ‘Sure, honey.’”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/04/donald-trump-support-marriage-ipsos-poll

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder how many married women feel compelled to say they support Trump when they do a phone poll since people might be listening but privately in the voting booth they're gonna vote Clinton.

I think most phone polls are automated robocalls where you push buttons to register support so even that's pretty private unless your husband is listening to the call on speakerphone and watching which button you push.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The other big thing I can see forcing a Republican realignment is if a permanent Democratic White House is able to completely remake the Supreme Court in a liberal image.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Like say Hillary wins, the Dems retake the Senate, and they get rid of the filibuster. Sure they can't pass legislation through the House, but they can confirm justices like there's no tomorrow. They proceed to fill the entire backlog of judicial appointments to lower courts with liberals. RBG retires, Breyer retires, Kennedy retires, Thomas retires, Hillary appoints five liberal Supreme Court justices, and liberals enjoy a 7-2 majority on the Supreme Court for the next two decades. Republicans retake the Senate in 2018 but the damage is already done.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CelestialScribe posted:

Jesus Christ no. I'm saying denying Trump lead in these states is akin to believing in poll unskewing or whatever bullshit conservatives are spouting.

There's a reason we make judgements based on polling averages rather than single polls. For example, take Michigan:

For whatever reason, Ipsos's methodology has them consistently showing a narrow Trump lead, whereas every other pollster has Clinton comfortably ahead. Does this mean Ipsos is wrong? Maybe. Does it mean every other pollster is wrong and Ipsos is right? Maybe. Does it mean they're all wrong? Maybe. But statistically speaking it's far more likely that the combined weight of the non-Ipsos polls is correct than that the one outlier is correct.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

WampaLord posted:

I think part of it is that Trump picked a fight with the motherfucking Pope.

I'm sure American Catholics don't take the whole "Pope is our leader" thing as seriously as say, Italian Catholics, but I also think they do not like it when you attack him.

Also that a large and growing proportion of American Catholics are Hispanic.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Boon posted:

That poo poo pisses me off. I also take umbrage with the adoration on memorial day.

Memorial Day is at least a holiday explicitly designed to honour the military. This is the equivalent of a "Happy Thanksgiving everyone, be sure to especially thank the brave men and women who defend your freedom to overeat" tweet.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sarmhan posted:

I want a pool party with Obama.

Once a year Obama should have had a lottery where one lucky family gets to come to a White House pool party.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Anybody who hasn't yet should watch this video if only for excited Tim Kaine in the background.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I really feel the candidate proposing a massive new entitlement program granting everyone free college, massive increases in immigration, tough new environmental regulations, a continued effort to normalize relations with Cuba and Iran, and continued growth of the welfare state is, at best, a "centrist" ~ An Idiot.

Yeah but see because she's a corrupt centrist then by definition that can't be her actual platform. So she's saying all that stuff just to get progressives onside but in office she'll just be all centrist-y.

Seriously, Clinton could spend eight years as president and implement Full Communism Now and on her deathbed there would still be people claiming she was a centrist (or the dreaded "Republican-lite") the whole time and only did all that Marxist stuff as a ruse.

Anyway, the NYT laments that the American electorate is just so dumb:

quote:

If Trump supporters knew that illegal immigration peaked in 2007, or that violent crime has been on a steady downward spiral nationwide for more than 20 years, they would scoff when Trump says Mexican rapists are surging across the border and crime is out of control.

If more than 16 percent of Americans could locate Ukraine on a map, it would have been a Really Big Deal when Trump said that Russia was not going to invade it — two years after they had, in fact, invaded it.

If basic civics was still taught, and required, for high school graduation, Trump could not claim that judges “sign bills.”

The dumbing down of this democracy has been gradual, and then — this year — all at once. The Princeton Review found that the Lincoln-Douglas debates of 1858 were engaged at roughly a high school senior level. A century later, the presidential debate of 1960 was a notch below, at a 10th grade level. By the year 2000, the two contenders were speaking like sixth graders. And in the upcoming debates — “Crooked Hillary” against “Don the Con” — we’ll be lucky to get beyond preschool potty talk.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/26/o...p_1=416627&_r=0

lmao

if only there were some respected news outlet that we could point to as participating in this dumbing down as an example, maybe one that had been touting this horserace bullshit instead of calling out the worst presidential candidate in modern history on his many, many, many faults..... oh well, can't think of one off the top of my head

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Deified Data posted:

I'll never arzy about the results of the election, but while I used to be pretty sure that the worst case scenario for the debates was Trump not showing up and being vindicated by his followers for resisting mainstream convention, my new worst (and most likely) scenario is that he shows up and curbstomps Clinton just by being Trump. I can no longer see any scenario where Clinton "wins" the debates the same way Obama did, save Trump descending into a slavering, stuttering mess or outright vomiting on stage.

If Clinton coughs or even shifts her weight wrong she'll instantly lose.

I think they would say she won if she goaded Trump into trying to physically attack her, then judo-flipped him.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This town hall is just going to be loving emails emails emails, christ

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hillary I don't think the best response to a "progressive" asking you about your hawkishness is "well there's no difference between me and Trump on hawkishness"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao Matt Lauer after she says she likes the Iran deal: "do you think they're playing us?"

what a hack

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao trump just blatantly lying and Lauer dgaf

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
sometimes i regret things but i won the republican primary so what can you do about it fuckos

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
trump says his mexico thing, lauer doesn't bring up his hitler speech from later the same day

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
of loving course trump's idols are patton the guy who slapped a soldier for having ptsd and macarthur the guy who wanted to nuke china

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
hahahahaha his answer to solving iraq and syria's problems so a new isis doesn't emerge is "take the oil" :psyduck:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
anti-iraq war protestors: NO BLOOD FOR OIL

trump: im against the iraq war but on the other hand gently caress YEAH BLOOD FOR OIL

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
trump's plan is to fire all the generals, promote some randos, and ask them for a plan

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
service guarantees citizenship

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
trump tell us more about your very very good relationship with putin

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao trump claiming putin has an 82% approval rating therefore he's great

all he cares about is ratings

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
hell yeah once putin gets a russian plant in the white house he'll change his mind on a few things

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i have a great plan

the problem is the wait times

hillary clinton is bad

hillary clinton lies about me

by the way people are dying waiting to see a doctor

under my plan the va will have full socialized medicare

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Reminder that Trump is underperforming Romney with vets.

well yeah he just went into a room full of old military vets and slobbered all over Putin's cock

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
last question: i have great respect for the va, what a great institution

this question: the va is complete garbage and should be destroyed

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
my plan to stop sexual assault in the military is to stop sexual assault in the military

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao

lmao

lmao

trump stood by that tweet

holy loving poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Majorian posted:

I can't watch it right now, but when I do later I'm just going to mute it whenever Lauer opens his mouth.

you should watch the bit where he reads trump's "men are inherently rapists so lol military sexual assault who gives a gently caress" tweet and trump says "yeah that's pretty much right, i stand by it"

• Locked thread