Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

WampaLord posted:

Honest question, why does losing the Senate matter if Hillary can veto anything lovely that they pass?

The lack of a filibuster wouldn't change anything in that regard.

If Democrats control the Senate, then they can confirm treaties and appoint judges. If Republicans control the Senate, good loving luck doing either of those things. If Republicans hold on to the Senate, Hillary might be able to nominate a moderate Justice like Garland to take Scalia's seat just because I think Republicans stonewalling any choice for four more years would be massively unpopular, especially after the reasoning they used for blocking Obama's appointment, but good luck filling other federal judge positions, and if there's another Supreme Court opening in the last two years of her term they'll definitely stonewall her like they did Obama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Also no-one gives a poo poo what David Brooks thinks.

The Average person has, largely made up their minds by now and early voting kicks off in about three weeks. Trump is going to get slayed in early voting. He has literally no ground game, and no amount of just not tripping over his feet is going to somehow, magically change the state of the race. His hope, in the debates, is for Hillary to have some kind of complete meltdown. This isn't a contest between, say Bush and Kerry, where Bush actually finished off Kerry with "you forgot Poland," because Trump isn't capable of that.

Is Trump really set to lose big in early voting? Isn't early voting dominated by old people?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DemeaninDemon posted:

Ahh the Cardassian Justice System.

There's no "proven innocent" in the Cardassian Justice System. :colbert:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I listen to NPR when it's not playing classical music or A Prairie Home Companion.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Epic High Five posted:

The only truly awful, garbage-tier poo poo NPR has is their election coverage and this one time I tuned in and it was some show that was literally just wall to wall rich people chatting about their favorite places to vacation. It was the worst thing I've ever heard in my entire life and to this day I can't imagine a more terrible premise for a show, which may be why I've never heard it again

Is that "Travel with Rick Steves?" I find it alright to listen to.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Shifty Pony posted:

So Donald Trump, who's only consistent message is that Hillary is corrupt and bought by money in politics, has hired as his deputy campaign manager the president of Citizens United - a name widely considered synonymous with the flood of money into politics?

Edit: I know the court case and the organization are different things but "oh no you misunderstand, he was just working for the organization which fought to gut the law" isn't going to help.

Reminder: when Trump was asked on his reddit AMA what he would do to reduce the influence of big money in politics, his answer was simply "keep Crooked Hillary out of the White House!"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Here it is

https://twitter.com/allinwithchris/status/771507148152942592

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
loving lamestream media twisting his words. He CLEARLY said "you're gonna have taco trucks every corner" not "you're gonna have taco trucks ON every corner" :argh:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
"Latino immigrants are bad because they're too dang entrepreneurial." - Republicans

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
You don't want taco trucks on every corner. They sell sub-standard products. What you wanna do is head down to the Trump Tower Grill and get yourself a taco bowl there.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Radish posted:

Man so many conservatives are going to be confused when Hillary doesn't just have a stroke in 2017.

Nah, they'll continue to believe Hillary is on the verge of death throughout her whole administration, and continuing when she's an elder statesperson, until the year 2037 when she dies of natural causes, at which point they'll go "ah ha, I knew it!"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The people who seem the most "concerned" about Hillary's health sure don't bring up Kaine much for some reason. Like, if Hillary's health was such a huge issue, then it would make sense to bash her running mate, but the right's been pretty silent about Kaine since the DNC. I've heard more criticism of Kaine from the left than from the right.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Crabtree posted:

If Saudi Arabia was so bad, why did Reagan, Bush Sr. and Jr have decent relationships with the country as well? Again, why is it bad only when Hilldog does it?

The Bushes are okay for Republicans to bash now. Something about "globalism."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

readingatwork posted:

That they're pretty much "business as usual" incarnate. They're crass political animals with little real integrity who's entire political platform is based on shrewd calculations and will change on a dime the second the political winds blow in another direction. They're also up to their eyeballs in corporate cash and have pushed watered-down versions of pretty much every lovely Republican economic policy over the years.

They are saying that stuff too (minus the "every lovely Republican economic policy" thing) but it's pretty ineffective considering the Republicans are guilty of the same stuff to an even greater extent.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

readingatwork posted:

Their fundraising is hardly a secret and neither is their policy history. For example the Clinton administration was one of the earliest pioneers of the concept of Globalism. Only at the time the concept went by the delightfully Orwellian term "Trade Liberalization".

That you think this unironically makes me very sad.

"Globalism" has been favored by both parties since World War 2.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I mean, sure, if you somehow manage to get several states that are more heavily Democratic, like Wisconsin and Virginia. Which is to say, it is a practical impossibility.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, of all the things Obama was attacked on in 2008, "lack of experience" was probably the most legitimate.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ImpAtom posted:

The entire thing? It's a ridiculous fearmongering ad that uses the subtle implication that Obama would get your sleeping children killed?

It being effective doesn't suddenly nullify that any more than Benghazi poo poo being used to rile up the base doesn't make it not disgusting. This isn't even a new argument. People were saying this when it aired.

Is it really ridiculous to say "my opponent is irresponsible and shouldn't be trusted with executive power?" That's been a thing since the 60's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDTBnsqxZ3k

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

CelestialScribe posted:

Ipsos has Trump winning Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Maine and Iowa: http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/updates/#now

Keep in mind that Ipsos uses tiny sample sizes per state. They've also got stuff like Utah and South Carolina "too close to call." And even then, they project Hillary as the winner with 95% confidence.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Kro-Bar posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/772556213313765377

What did Jeff Flake do to put a bee in Trump's bonnet?

He refuses to endorse Trump, criticized his recent immigration speech, and he said Clinton could win Arizona.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Petr posted:

:lol: Holy poo poo, I didn't realize HillaryIs44 people were still around. Have the last 8 years been really hard for you?

Go check out Hillaryis44. They support Trump now.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sir Tonk posted:

https://twitter.com/GovAbbott/status/772766382077321216

Greg Abbott wants to remind people to thank the real heroes of Labor Day.

"Remember, on this MLK Day, to keep the brave men and women in our armed forces in your thoughts and prayers."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
"Globalists" means a lot of things to a lot of people. To some, it's simply a codeword for The Jews. For others, it refers to someone who considers Hispanics and Muslims to be people. To yet others, it means someone with a wimpy foreign policy centered around cooperating with other countries. Hell, as we've seen on D&D, there are even some leftists who've been lead to believe that "globalists" means "pro-globalization."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

greatn posted:

This election makes no loving sense. Why the hell would Trump be catching up?

Trump hasn't really been gaining voters so much as some on-the-fence Hillary voters are dropping back into "undecided/other." Trump hasn't had anything particularly stupid stick to him in a few weeks, there's been an increased media focus on Hillary's emails, and the American voter has a short memory.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

WampaLord posted:

So about that CNN poll that everyone's Arzying about :

This is weird. So 35-49 age group is Trump +1, but Under 45 is Clinton +26. Did they just sample a fuckton of people aged 45-49 with relatively few under 45, or is there some other weirdness going on that I'm not seeing?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

straight up brolic posted:

And yet she's despised by the majority of the country including a significant portion of her own party.

This isn't "my take", these are the facts.

And yet her opponent is despised by an even bigger majority of the country so it works out.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
As bad as Hillary's favorables are, Trump's are even worse, and that's what matters.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Epic High Five posted:

Clinton is the most thoroughly investigated and vetted nominee for President in the history of this country. Literally every facet of everything she has done for decades is public record at this point.

If anything is 'shady' because it's unclear it's because you aren't looking hard enough or are dismissing reports/facts to support a narrative

Yeah, if anything, the fact that after a quarter century of intense public partisan scrutiny, the worst thing anyone's found about Hillary is that she was a little lax on email security makes me think she's cleaner and more competent than the average Washington politician.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
During the early/mid Cold War, there was something of a double standard between the parties with regards to accommodation with the Eastern Bloc. Democrats had to be super hardcore Cold Warriors to avoid being branded as either naive fools or communist sympathizers, while Republicans' anti-Communist values were considered beyond reproach basically no matter what.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ImpAtom posted:

You know, even if it does, it just emphasizes how loving ridiculous it is that Johnson can make a gaff and get nailed for it and Trump is immune.

I can sorta see it. Trump's remaining voters are the people who are voting for him no matter what gaffes he makes, whereas a pretty significant portion of Johnson supporters are Republicans who can't bring themselves to vote for Trump because of all the stupid poo poo he's said and see Johnson as "the adult in the room." So Trump's supporters won't hold him accountable for anything, but some Johnson supporters at least have standards.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
In pro-Johnson spaces on the internet, I'm seeing "I'd rather vote for someone who can admit their deficiencies instead of bluffing about something" and "most people don't know what Aleppo is either, so can you really hold it against him?"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Xibanya posted:

Side note: I know others have said it before but I'd normally want to refer to a female politician by her last name, just as I would a male politician, but I feel like :abuela: is her own brand at this point. I hope that explanation isn't just my attempt to resolve cognitive dissonance caused by internalized sexism :ohdear:

Yeah, it's a bit weird. I usually refer to her as "Hillary" but it feels weird to refer to her husband as just "Bill." Like, she owns the name "Hillary" but "Bill" could be anyone. At the same time, we can't refer to Bill as just "Clinton" anymore, so it leads to me having to think about how I refer to them every time I make a post about either of them.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

straight up brolic posted:

If Hillary is +5 in NC and PA heading into the election it's practically impossible for her to lose right?

It's possible for Trump to win without PA and NC, but he'd have to win every other swing state including Wisconsin and Michigan (if you count those as swing states).

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

They're trying to insinuate something nefarious about Hillary needing an earpiece to know what to say, but according to the replies to that tweet, she was giving a speech at the UN that day, so of course she'd need an earpiece.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

And also that website that has the literal thousand ways that Hillary can win the election and the 1 way Trump can? They have a nice graph. And it's not FiveThirtyEight.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/presidential-polls-forecast.html
Scroll down a bit.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

BigRed0427 posted:

Saw this in the wild and I can't word it properly myself. What is the difference between the BBC and RT.

The BBC doesn't promote conspiracy theories for the purpose of loving up the domestic politics of other countries.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I wonder what happened to that "no curation" principle of Assange's.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Skeesix posted:

Flagchat is dumb. When the confederate flag was no longer a symbol of the confederacy, it became a symbol of the KKK. Googling should not be required, but just in case:

https://newrepublic.com/article/122216/confederate-flag-still-flying-today-because-kkk

Plus, neonazis and other white supremacist groups in Germany use the Confederate flag as a symbol since their preferred symbol, the swastika, is illegal there.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

LogisticEarth posted:

Ahahaha, is that true? I had no idea.

https://youtu.be/Rr8ljRgcJNM

Yep.
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-is-the-confederate-flag-flown-outside-the-us-2015-6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

iospace posted:

Obama's numbers are going to be key here. The better he's viewed going into election day, the better Hillary is off.

True, though of course, it's not everything. Bill had net +19 approval going into the 2000 election and we all know how that turned out.

• Locked thread