Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

I hope this thread goes better than las-

never mind

actually, that's hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Popular Thug Drink posted:

here i found the thread where you can whine about emails to your little heart's content, you're welcome

exactly one thread interested me "Hamarabe Memes"

i didn't click on it tho, cause i know the idea of it is gonna be far better then the execution

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh wait, i assumed it was a play on words but the gorilla was called hamarabe too, gently caress

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
wow i dont know how i got confused but now im disappointed

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AlouetteNR posted:

Going with the whole Russell's teapot thing, say you have a laser you want to shoot past the moon. It's the difference between saying "I am certain there is an absence there, the laser will hit its destination" and "I'm pretty sure there will be an absence, the laser should hit its destination". It's hedging, basically saying the existence of some singular omnipotent God is a massive longshot, but not a provable impossibility. I think the main concrete difference I've noticed between the two mindsets is the level of scorn and mockery towards religious people and religion in general.

This isn't even talking about any particular variation of God, because the more specific you get, the more falsifiable that version is, and the more open the belief is to ridicule. So someone saying 'God is nature' would be less silly than someone saying 'God prefers followers of the Christian faith and directly caused the Great Biblical Flood' would be less silly than someone saying 'I treat my children with homeopathic medicine.' Each is roughly equivalent in likelihood of being true (nearly zero), but as they increase is falsifiability, the more justified it is to ridicule the belief.

the people who say god is nature, generally speaking, don't think of god as a being or whatever, but i guess that dovetails into trying to come up with a definition of what god is or means and that's not gonna be a great convo huh

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AlouetteNR posted:

I think it really depends on who's saying it and where they're coming from. Scientists and philosophers tend to mean it as 'God is the universe which has no will outside of what happens', strong environmentalists tend to imply it as God being the will of nature, like a LoTR-style Ent God who can be angered and defied by clear-cutting a forest, and softer Christians tend to imply a sort of watchmaker theory without attaching themselves to the more Biblical aspects of wrath and hellfire or the historical events which can be disproved. I would say the last two definitely think of God as a being, with a sort of cognizance and will and opinions.

the funny thing is saying god is nature and god is the universe aren't really saying different things, even if they have different meanings

Kro-Bar posted:

Did cars stop having tape/cd players or MP3 inputs or something? Who listens to the loving radio?

i do

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
it's easier to get new stuff to listen to on the radio then looking for it myself

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

What the gently caress is this? The radio is either playing all the same songs they've played for decades, or Top 40 trash. I don't see room for anything in between, and I've been getting new music from friends/going out and the internet. This is in Seattle. :psyduck:

the college radio around here is just real good i suppose, it plays a big variety of stuff, i like it a lot

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bad Moon posted:

It depends on how sketchy looking the truck is. The more sketchy, the better the taco.

best burrito i ever had was out of some dudes pick-up truck in the parking lot of a grocery store in new mexico

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Look lady, it's a truck that sells tacos, I'm not sure what's being rotated here

i guess it could have different meat depending on what was cheapest that day

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kro-Bar posted:

Large earthquake (5.6) hits Oklahoma. But what fracking?!

it's pretty cool we've advanced enough in technology that we can cause earthquakes

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Night10194 posted:

My perceptions might be skewed some by having no cable and thus not being able to watch cable TV.

some of his rallies get broadcast on youtube tho, i don't have cable either but i've seen a few

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Yinlock posted:

isn't that exactly part of his job

honestly i'm glad he's being honest unlike all the other journalists who like to pretend they're better

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

rscott posted:

That holiday is on May 1st, today is the milquetoast lovely american version

i got the day off, so its actually good and cool

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

I fail to see why this is the occasion where reality should conform to the misconceptions of the ignorant. How many people who can't learn the meaning of one word can afford 80 thousand dollar cars?

probably a lot, the rich aren't really all that smart either

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fishmech posted:

It's not industry standard for a 30 meter watch to be ruined just from being under a shower. It means you have either a incorrectly assembled watch or a knockoff.

And that's bullshit: if I sell you a red mug but told you it was going to be blue it's also false advertising, but with no implicit liability issue.

i think you're missing the more obvious conclusion that that guy is just super paranoid about water on watches, to the point it being water-proof not mattering to him

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BrandorKP posted:

I'm sorry I can't help myself that poo poo in the shower ain't steam, it's vapor. If your water resistant watch can't handle it, your watch is a knock off piece of poo poo. And don't wear a watch in the shower... gross.

i remember when i was real young i had a watch i wore all the time, and when the battery finally died so i had to take it off, i saw what my skin looked like and well, it's been like 15 to 20 years and i've never worn a watch since

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i mean, for the last decade i haven't needed a watch since i have a cellphone, but there was at least a 5 year period where not wearing a watch was moderately an inconvenience

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

I am also pleased at the intelligent decision to refuse to rule out genocide as a tool of politics.

why do we have nukes if we don't use them

iron rose officially on the same intelligence level as donald trump

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

The idea of a No First Use policy is problematic because it says to foreign powers (Russia) that they can do whatever the gently caress and we won't escalate to nuclear weapons period. It also gives them the leg up with deciding to launch nukes before we can, if it ever comes to that.

It's unlikely to matter in the immediate future either way, but it sends a stronger message about how much bullshit we will or won't tolerate as a general point.

the cool thing about it is that we can just use 'em anyway, cause if we start using nukes we're already starting WW3 so it won't matter if we lied

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh wow we've been at peace this whole time, guess we need to inform afghanistan and iraq

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
we were very tranquil when we invaded your country under false pretenses and usurped your government and basically ruined everything for you

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

I was under the impression I was fairly explicit about only discussing great-great power conflict?

okay cool, we're still not at peace so it's ultimately meaningless to try and compartmentalize conflict like that

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

People who display the Confederate flag and are from the North, and have never lived in the South, will burn in a special place of Hell.

no they won't, hell isn't real

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

How do you explain Florida then? :colbert:

Popular Thug Drink posted:

someone's never been to alabama

they're just states, run by idiots

Lightning Knight posted:

something something let's start the atheism discussion again to distract from how much a jerk I am, something something

being a jerk is fun tho

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Academician Nomad posted:

and then everyone stood up and clapped.

You've never used it in real life because almost no one uses "war of northern aggression" in real life (in a non-joking non-trolling way).

oh brother, you have not met my granddad

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

doubling down is good and cool and it shows confidence, you see

how can this be so wrong when it feels right :shepface:

i wish there was a KFC near me :(

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

wouldn't it have been the third tallest in that case? or were WTC considered to be one building despite being two towers, how's that work

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

I just linked that last page but funny how that's glossed over~

maybe your posts are invisible

what the gently caress who am i replying to?!?!?!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

calm down, turn on your monitor :kiddo:

oh whew...thanks i was having a heart attack

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

A lovely Reporter posted:

They're still human beings who deserve to live, and the campaign doesn't make the distinctions you're making.

nobody deserves to live, life is meaningless in the face of the eventual heat death of the universe

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

hell yeah, fav band right here, unsure how to feel about us having similar music tastes tho...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nessus posted:

Someone stabbed a bunch of folks at the mall in Minnesota.

there are more then one mall in minnesota

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Who the poo poo decides to knife up a mall in Minnesota but then hits a mall that isn't the Mall of loving America?

it'd end with him just stabbing himself the third time he went into the same parking deck trying to find a space

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dexo posted:

Man ask some African Black people about American Black people and vice versa and you can get some amazing responses.

yeah it can be...weird listening to an american black man talk about how all the somalians coming over get big government money and stipends

i didn't really know what to say (so i just said huh interesting and went back to work)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

Hmmm, while they were explaining trump's entertainment system with 1,000 movies stored...

it's a classic

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

why doesn't he like good music

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am now sure how chvrches became a fyad meme but I am glad it is

i looked at fyad and i see no chvrches memes you piece of poo poo liar

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

Elaborate on this?

i think that guy might be brain-damaged and confused c-spam with fyad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
south park parodying movies is good (the lord of the rings episode)

south park commentating on real life is bad (every other episode)

• Locked thread