Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Dolph Lundgren, Cutty, Stardust, Murder Ollie, Bratva. I hope beyond hope that this season lives up to the hype I have for it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

Chokes McGee posted:

How many times are we going to have to do this before we learn :eng99:

Rhyno posted:

Arrow must break you.

Oh, I've already learned. I was this close to just quitting during the end of last season. But I don't know. For all its problems, I still feel like I can at least watch the show because it does have its moments. I suppose last season had the same kind of awesome elements - Neal McDonough, magic, Legends stuff - and look how poorly that was mostly executed. But I suppose I'm hopeful for the fifth season given that the trailer gives off a vibe of a more grounded show again. He's training new people to help him fight crime, not some superpowered villain he has no chance of defeating. And having Cutty be just a businessman (I think) seems a lot more interesting than the leader of The Not-League of Assassins.

Maybe I am just one of those sweet, summer children who just wants this show to be good even though I know it won't.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Let's be honest, though, this thread would have about 5 posters in it total if that did happen.

I thought the premiere was very good. Actually pretty fun and better than I hoped it would be. Where's my Dolph, though?

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
What a fantastic episode. Felt really long, but in a good way. Curious what the Dig stuff is all about.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

Scyantific posted:

They did say that Prometheus is someone who was affected by Oliver's crusade in season 1.

Buuuut, Flashpoint :flashfap: could give us Tommy.

I thought Church was the one that was affected by his S1 crusade?

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

Hollismason posted:

Is Cutty suppose to have super powers? Because you would think his " Just boxing" style would be rather ineffective against Oliver's martial arts. It's weird. All the fights with him are terrible.

And his stunt double looks absolutely nothing like him, either, which is really annoying.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Prometheus doesn't look big enough to be Dolph but I guess that didn't stop the Flash with the dogshit Zoom reveal.

Though Arrow has been so much better than last season, I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop and it turns out that Prometheus is Malcolm Merlyn controlling Roy Harper's body via magic.

You make it sound like that wouldn't actually be amazing.

I'm still really impressed with this season and would go so far as to say it's Season 1 territory in regard to quality. I'm curious if Prometheus is going to be a season long villain or just the villain for just the first half because it seems like killing Church off this early is a really weird decision if Prometheus will be here all year. I'm worried about stagnation and that character getting boring. Flash S2 suffered the same problem with Zoom.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
That was unexpected.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

Aphrodite posted:

I just caught up on 3 episodes so I've already forgotten which one it was, but drat Wild Dog showing up Digg with those arms.

I don't think anybody can show Dig up when it comes to muscly arms, though???

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Everybody talking about E2 Laurel coming on the show clearly don't realize what it will do to Quentin. Poor guy would probably just implode with grief and confusion.

Really great episode and kinda obvious even to people who don't know comics that the DA fella is the Vigilante. Also this reporter lady/Ollie romance is kinda shoehorned in but it isn't too in the way. It seems like the only drama we really get anymore is between the newbies and Ollie which I am okay with since it doesn't pop up too often. Do we have anymore theories about Prometheus's identity?

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

I can't tell you how much I would love this cause I've been rooting for Tommy to literally be anyone in a mask since he died.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
So I just watched BvS and after reading up on KGBeast, the Wikipedia page notes that the Anatoli in Arrow is supposed to be Anatoli Knyazev and therefore KGBeast. Has his last name ever been said in the show and are we even supposed to assume that he is, or is going to be, KGBeast at all in the show? It just caught me completely off guard and it seemed like the Wikipedia author just knew his name was Anatoli and was Russian and just assumed.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
I was really unsure about having this whole episode be a weird alternate universe with a marriage but that whole episode was really good. Holland and Amell really knocked their scene together out of the park. And the final bit was really fun, too. Really excited for what tomorrow night brings.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

Martout posted:

That got very real very fast! It's almost like they are trying to make a p. decent season of Arrow again?

Not only trying. Succeeding. Really, really well.

Such a great episode and a really great midseason finale. Here's hoping it doesn't fall into the same trap seasons 3 and 4 did. Cause I know we were all thinking the same exact things we are now the last two years, but there's something different this time around. I feel like we have another really good season of TV on our hands.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
I feel like out of everybody, Curtis is the one they just don't know what to do with. He's supposed to be this medal-winning athlete but he's clumsy and unable to do most athletic things, besides unncessarily flip that one time the bunker got attacked last season. And he kinda seems like they want to make him tech-y, but he kinda isn't cause that's Felicity's job, and they can't quite figure out what to do about his costume, since it looks like garbage. It's like every thing about him is already filled by someone else doing that thing better. It's such a weird character, and I know nothing about Mr. Terrific from the comics, but I feel like this is a very poor representation of him, let alone any character. I'm hoping they'll figure out what to do with him soon because I want to like Curtis as sort of a new Ray, but it's just not working.

Narcissus1916 posted:

About to start the latest season.

I'm curious if coming straight off of S4 lessens the quality rise of S5 because I feel like the difference in quality between these two seasons is meteoric, but maybe that's just from coming off a below-average season after waiting 3 months. I'm excited to hear your thoughts on the episodes, though.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
They'll pull an Arkham Knight and Prometheus will be Jason Todd. And no one will give a poo poo.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

Rhyno posted:

Hacktivist fangirl was super cute.

Also holy loving poo poo Dinah Drake. That is out of left field and awesome as hell. Where did this fantastic season come from??? Like, the only thing to complain about is that terrible city backdrop in Ollie's office.

That backdrop is literally the worst on television.

Such a fantastic episode. I've never seen this actress who plays Talia but I thought she was great. I love that she never introduces her self as Talia al Ghul so there's an actual reason why Ollie never mentioned her when the League stuff happened during S3. It's amazing that the show did such a great turnaround in quality over the last two. Here's hoping the rest of the season is just as good.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

Bad Moon posted:

I wish Prometheus was Tommy but it's not :(

I don't expect Prometheus to be anyone but the guy they're saying he is in the show, but this is the only exception that's worth it.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Dialogue was pretty clunky at times to insert Curtis's and Rene's argument, but overall I thought it was a pretty good episode. Amell did a really good job tonight, I thought, especially during the scene where he talks down Edlund. The Rene flashback stuff was really good, too, actually.

My house's power cut out right after the lady or whoever it was hung up on Rene at the end, so I missed the last four or so minutes, did I miss anything?

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Thanks. Nothing super cliffhanger-y, then.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
I'm enjoying the fact that a lot of these episodes lately haven't dealt directly with Prometheus. I feel like what brought down S3 and S4 were that the writers felt they constantly needed to be dealing with Ra's and Darhk and so you just kinda got sick of seeing them all the time. At least here, we know he's around doing poo poo to mess with Ollie but we're not dealing with him weekly and we can see Ollie do stuff as Ollie or just do stuff with side characters, like an episode seeking out a new Black Canary or just trying to catch old villains we haven't seen in a while. I think Flash had the same troubles S2, as well, which is partly why it's so poorly received, among many other reasons.

On that front, I feel like we've gotten to the point where I don't not like any of the characters now. Felicity is okay now and while Thea did something extremely stupid this episode, she's still the wise sage of the group now. Wild Dog, Curtis and Rory are fun, Oliver isn't brooding as much anymore, Dinah is pretty cool and while we've gotten a lot less Dig lately after "his" prison/army episode a few weeks, he's still Dig. There's a lot of bloat, but they've been handling it pretty well where most of the group isn't at the forefront of the episode so a few of them have time to shine each week.

Fully expecting Ollie to go pretty apeshit on Felicity over this super-flash drive that seems to solve literally any problem they have once she takes it a bit too far. She kinda did already with the Susan Williams stuff, even if Thea supposedly told her to, because I can't imagine Ollie can be okay with her doing that.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Pretty sure no one here saw that coming.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Next episode looks great. The guy playing Chase is selling all of this really well.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

Carlosologist posted:

I think this season is shaping up to where Oliver has to reveal himself as the Green Arrow, it's been made explicitly clear throughout the season that Oliver can't balance being the Arrow and the mayor, so something will happen where he takes the third option and makes it known that he's the Green Arrow

In addition to this, I really hope that unlike last season, the "final confrontation", I assume there will be one, is a lot more personal and a lot less, the world is at stake, which seems to be the case. More of a Slade vs. Ollie kind of deal without the Mirakuru army.

Also, maybe I'm missing something, but if Chase is Prometheus and we assume he wants to bring Ollie down and ruin his life, how does Ollie staying mayor help Chase? I feel like he could have successfully blackmailed that councilor and impeach Ollie. Then again, I suppose most of our info about Prometheus's motives come from Team Arrow and we don't really know what Prometheus wants exactly. That being said, Chase being Prometheus is a huge wrench in the show and it's pretty interesting that they could pull this off without many, if any, of us seeing it coming. Eager to see who Vigilante is then.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Christ, goons are seriously incomparable when it comes to face blindness. I thought they were both David Mitchell!

Like, they sound completely different, look completely different, act completely different and use entirely different weapons. You're just bad at watching TV shows.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
That fight scene between Adrian and Ollie was legitimately one of the best fight scenes in the past three seasons. Finally someone realized that fighting in an open warehouse or on a rooftop or on a parking lot is not interesting to watch. Give me two really angry people lunging at each other and breaking shelves and punching each other through walls. It was like 30 seconds long and it was the best we've gotten in a long time.

The actor who plays Chase is pulling off a serious Flash Season 2 Zoom vibe. Once that actor was finally able to let loose cause it was known that he was the villain he became so much better. This actor is still really good when he was just Chase, but now that he's allowed to chew the scenery as the villain, he is chewing the hell out of the scenery and I love it.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
I hope if we do get an all Dinah episode we go back to Hub City and get Question. Come on, writers, just do it.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
So glad we finally got a flashback heavy episode. We really needed one to really tie up everything so far in Russia, although I'm not entirely sure where Frankenkovar really fits. Whole episode was really good, though, especially Oliver and Chase going back and forth and Ollie admitting he really likes killing. Such a good season.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
It's great seeing Amell getting hyped for his own show again. He recently tweeted implying that the penultimate episode of the season is incredible and noted that, although he hadn't seen the script yet, if done right the finale could be the best episode of Arrow yet. Now I'm hyped.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
It's seriously a tough battle between Chase and Slade for best Arrow villain, but I'm glad we're back to the point where that kind of quality is in the picture. I don't know if I'd call this season better than S2 yet, since we still have time, but it's close and that's more than I ever expected of this show after the last two seasons. Actually considered stopping watching but I'm so glad I didn't. Really hoping S6 continues that trend, but it's going to be weird not having any flashbacks.

Speaking of flashbacks, early on in Season 1, Ollie speaks some sort of Chinese with "a perfect accent" but are we ever shown when he learns Chinese?

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

STAC Goat posted:

I believe Shado teaches him when they're on the island with Slade.

Aquasnake posted:

When he spent a year in Hong Kong probably?

I just figured they never showed it and I figured if he was in Hong Kong he would have learned Japanese if anything because that's what Maseo was. I just honestly couldn't remember if it was ever touched upon or if we were just supposed to assume he learned it at some point without seeing it happen.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know why the thread became randomly convinced Dinah was dead a little while ago but its cool to get the news that she and Wild Dog are pretty set.

Is Curtis already a regular or is he out on a limb?

He was a regular this season, yeah.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
"Thank you, hoss" was the best line of the episode.

I didn't mind the episode. But I'm curious if Kaidan James is supposed to be a recognizable comics name because with them not showing his face at all and the implication that Helix will be a big bad for S6, I can see them wanting him to be a big role, but haven't casted him yet.

Also, no one let Dig know about Team Flash's "no lawyer, no due process, no justice" Super-Max lock up.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

bentacos posted:

Vigilante was brought in to be a misdirect for people that knew that Adrian Chase is one of the Vigilantes from the comics.

I think that's definitely true, but I'm hoping they flesh him out a lot more in the next season beyond 5-second encounters where he screams "You're bad for this city!!! I'm taking you down!!" and then disappears into thin air. I think he could work as a sort of mini-foil to Oliver but as of right now he seems more like a villain than an actual vigilante because, and I could be wrong, it's been a long season, we haven't seen him do anything good, which a name like vigilante usually implies, especially considering the character's history in the comics.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Yeah, I'm really glad they won't kill of Thea on that basis. Honestly, don't kill anyone. The cast is kinda bloated right now, but they're making it work with rotating out people and setting some aside based on the story. Everyone we've got is great and honestly I just don't want to watch everyone brood as they deal with yet another death in the group.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

Hollismason posted:

Wow that's a terrible idea

It really is. Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays, and previously Thursdays at 8 has always been a really solid set up and separating the shows by a day and moving Arrow behind a show no one gives a poo poo about anymore (outside the really crazy people) is a really dumb move that I hope they change before next season airs.

That being said, this was such an amazing episode and I seriously can't wait for the reunion of all reunions next week, in what I assume will be the greatest season finale of the CWDC shows yet. Chase is seriously the bomb and I'm definitely going to miss having him around next season.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

Guy Goodbody posted:

Supernatural is still going on?

It will never end. It will become the longest running show in television history and it will still be airing long after we're all gone from this earth.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

STAC Goat posted:

Do people really care about the schedule that much?

9 out of 10 times I binge them all together at the end of the week on my DVR or the CW App. Its a rare, not very busy week, that I actually watch them night-by-night and even then I don't really care what day is which? It only really matters in terms of crossovers, but as discussed the way they handled it this year was just flawed and to do it right they just need to step outside the shows schedules.

I mean, is a 6th season Arrow really going to struggle for airing after a 13th season Supernatural? You watch them or you don't at that stage, no?

I feel like for me at least, it's just kinda ingrained into my system that that's where they fit in. Sorta habit at this point. It won't stop me watching it, but Wednesdays at 8 has always been Arrow time.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Just a heads up that Amell totally killed it on American Ninja Warrior, and even did something a little extra for a little more money to charity. It was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Yeah, it's honestly worth watching the whole thing because it's just a lot of fun, especially when the celebrities just start messing around and cheating, like Mena Suvari did. Erika Christensen was the biggest surprise, though. I'm really hoping Stephen tries to do the real deal once Arrow is over because I think he'd honestly be pretty good at it with enough training.

• Locked thread