Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
At this point I'm pretty sure Manu just likes loving with people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Holy hell this means we're getting a mini-Spartacus reunion with Ashur and Crixus!

STAC Goat posted:

Is Bennet doing anything since that terrible MTV show?

Looking at IMDB, no not really :(

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Is there any Green Arrow comic book precedence for all the Bratva stuff?

twistedmentat posted:

He should join the Expanse, that would be good.

Because Nick Tarabay is on The Expanse?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Anatoli is entertaining enough to make the flashbacks...entertaining. And seeing Lolph Rundgren was a treat.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Marc Guggenheim confirmed Manu returning as Deathstroke and tweeted a pic of the cover page of the finale script and the title is Lian Yu.

Tiggum posted:

Disagree. I liked the start of both JJ and DD but felt like they started meandering, lost focus and became kind of boring as they progressed, to the point that I just didn't give a poo poo at all by the end of the season (and DD S2 was mostly poo poo). Luke Cage loses it a bit in the middle but picks up again towards the end. I've only seen four episodes of Iron Fist but I'm enjoying it so far.

Yes, you have minority opinions. We get it.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Cran posted:

Is it worth the effort of watching Season 1, though? Would I be missing anything continuing to avoid Flash?

You don't really need to watch either of those to enjoy it probably.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I'm impressed with his stamina at any rate. The whole thing is hilarious and I really do want to know how far back "the beef" was a sham.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

howe_sam posted:

When they announced Katie Cassidy was going to be a regular next season a lot of people, myself included, wondered what that meant for Dinah and if they would limit themselves to one meta with a Canary cry.

I think there was also a lull in her appearances after the episode that introduced and focused on her that people got worked up about.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I went from thinking maybe Manu is kind of a dick and difficult to work with to thinking he's hilarious.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

ApeHawk posted:

It could always be both.

No only black and white thinking and characterization allowed. Just like comics and comic book based TV. :colbert:

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

McSpanky posted:

Vince McMahon, you have FAILED THIS PAY-PER-VIEW!

:vince:

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

McSpanky posted:

(I think Dolph's character will become Arrow's version of the KGBeast and they'll have a showdown pretty similar to the classic one above, where Batman kinda takes a moment and realizes "not every fight has to be a grandiose battle of wills and grit, just gently caress off rear end in a top hat" and locks the guy in a sewer chamber.)

Man, I never put together that Rolph might be their closer version of a KGBeast and now it makes a ton of sense. It's just too bad it probably will be a one time thing.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Bad Moon posted:

Wait did Batman leave KGBeast in a sewer to starve to death?

I like how there were convenient stacks of boards just waiting there. (Unless Batman put them there beforehand I guess.)

Also, he'll be fine, he can eat rats.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

OB_Juan posted:

It's true. Batman has no context for habitual killers for whom the justice system is just a speedbump.

Hey man, I think he meant the geopolitical context.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

bentacos posted:

My question is what will they come up with to keep putting Amell in silly wigs?

He'll become a Russian spy.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Who was that big guy fighting with Wilddog on a rooftop and who was the guy in the hood using bow/arrows alongside Ollie in a tactical mask using bow/arrows inside that chainlink fencing?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Guys! Guys! Next season should have...flashforwards! And then Season 7 should have...flashsideways! This is a totally original idea don't steal thanks.

Also, imagining Batman saying "I've had enough of your two-bit Justice League!" In everything from a Conroy voice to a Bale voice might be the funniest thing I've encountered in a while and totally made my day!

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Most people stop at doubling-down. Manu Bennet is not most people and will quadruple-down.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Welp, while none of the three show's return-from-hiatus episodes were particularly good, this was still probably the most decent of the bunch. Even if the season A-plot of Prometheus didn't really progress until the last 30 seconds.

In the first half of this episode I was thinking "Aha! Finally this lame, Chekov's-hacktivist-group, Felicity b/c-plot will have repercussions!" but then the second half happened and they end up getting the tracking device anyway and Felicity just lost some fake friends. Kind of a wet fart.

Other things:
-Has Quentin Lance always pronounced "justice" as "JUSHTISH"? Is he becoming Sean Connery?
-Why bother taking the front emblem off a car for a TV show if it's a car as recognizable as a Ford Mustang?
-I did appreciate the detail that Felicity went about 1/4th to 1/3rd Goth for this escapade.
-"HEY LET'S ALL RUSH THE SENTRY GUN AND--fhufbjfdfjnfsdnf..."

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Not really a surprise. In fact:

“That said, the flashbacks have worked so well on the show, they’re not going to be gone forever. We’re obviously not going to be going back to Lian Yu and we’re not going to be telling the story of the five years that Oliver was gone, but we might get some glimpses into the backstories of other characters, which would be really fun.”

That bolded part was something people in this thread predicted and thought might be kinda cool if done well. We'll see. The person who wrote that article seems aggressively negative about it.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

STAC Goat posted:

I wasn't bothered by the inherent hypocrisy about the moral dilemmas in this episode because:

A) They acknowledged it like a dozen times and it's why Oliver and Dig lost every argument.
B) They weren't really as upset by the action itself as they were about who was doing them.
C) Oliver clearly was wallowing in the guilt that he didn't have a moral leg to stand on and was basically responsible for the entire basis for Felicity's justification.
D) As Dig said, this is the conflict that broke up his and Lyla's first marriage. And fairly the idea of crossing the line once and awhile is different from becoming Amanda Waller.

So like it was a lot of rehash but it was stuff totally character and tonally consistent. But it was character and tone stuff this thread hates so I totally get why people don't like this episode.

I agree with you, except the "character and tone stuff this thread hates" because I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

I found that line with Ollie and Digg on the rooftop where one of them says something like "I don't understand a world where both Felicity Smoak and Lyla cross the line"--or something to that effect--was very telling.

Guy Goodbody posted:

You could tell Felicity was doing something bad because she switched to heavy black eye makeup

Longbaugh01 posted:

-I did appreciate the detail that Felicity went about 1/4th to 1/3rd Goth for this escapade.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

STAC Goat posted:

I just meant that so many people in here hate Felicity and relationship drama and "cry talking"...it totally makes sense that those people would hate an episode entirely about relationship drama...

Honestly, I gave the Felicity character the benefit of the doubt this episode writing-wise and I think it worked for me. My only complaint was that there didn't seem to be any consequences for her decision besides "aww they weren't really my friends/comrades, they were just using me *frowny face*". Yeah I know there may be more consequences down the road (and maybe Helix did just help Prometheus), but I felt there needed to be something more than what there was within the confines of this episode.

I didn't notice any cry-talking though, and while there was "relationship drama" technically, the stuff between Ollie/Felicity and Diggle/Lyla came across to me as just two sets of adults that are close, having to re-evaluate what they thought the other person was capable of, and maybe realize they're not the special-unique-greater-good-takes-a-toll-sacrificeblahblahblah-snowflakes that they thought they were. Which honestly, is punching above its weight for this show, even in this season.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

STAC Goat posted:

Like I said, I really enjoyed this episode and am super hyped for next week. Which people are going to HATE because...

Oh poo poo. I don't get to watch previews usually, so it's a bottle episode? Ughhh. Sometimes I wish that would be retired from television writing, but then once in a while you get a gem like Breaking Bad's "Fly".

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Maybe this super hacker will also be someone who is a big reveal and has history with someone on Team Arrow. I'd say Felicity's ex, but that seems boring and I totally forgot what happened to him anyway.

I'm hoping it isn't the case, but I'm guessing the Deathstroke comeback tour will be a one-and-done. :(

Sir Potato posted:

Also, no one let Dig know about Team Flash's "no lawyer, no due process, no justice" Super-Max lock up.

We need a classic DiggReaction.gif for this stat.

Burning_Monk posted:

I'd hate to have a hacker team be the big bad of a season. It's already incredibly dull when they have a hacker vs hacker fight in the show already. Lights flashing, crazy screensavers, and suddenly sparks start flying from random desks just to force some hype at people pounding keyboards and shouting about "they are in the firewall!" or "on noes, they deployed a virus *lights flicker faster*"

My friend, let me tell you about a cinematic masterpiece titled...Hackers...

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

bbf2 posted:

That hacker ex-boyfriend guy died towards the end of season 4. Damien Dahrk recruited him to be his hacker so he could set off all the world's nukes or whatever. (Dahrk used magic to put something in his spine that was slowly and painfully killing him so that he would be motivated to have all the nukes go off and grant him a quick explosiony death instead) And then at some point he failed or was convinced to stop by Felicity or something and Dahrk busted in and killed him

Ah, you're right. And I had forgotten. Thanks. Wish I could forget more parts of that season.

Klungar posted:

Maybe he's Vigilante? Someone else who they are saving a reveal for until Season 6.

This...this is interesting. Vigilante has been seemingly conspicuously absent for a while.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Now that we've had some time to think about it, and the excitement has died down, can we all admit that the crossover sucked? It started out great, with the team training and Diggle seeing Supergirl and Supergirl and Oliver's personality clash. But then they decided to put most of the cast in a dream world for the entire middle third of the thing, and that just brought the whole thing to a loving halt. It would've been one thing if that was a standalone Arrow episode, it would've just been kind of dull, but as the middle part of a story about aliens invading, it was so bad.

I'm willing to give it a pass because it was an example of a sentimental episode that was actually good, was a good episode of Arrow, Amell did great work, and--most relevantly--I can understand how the Arrow team would want to do something special for their 100th episode (which is kind of a thing in television). It just happened to coincide with the crossover.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

STAC Goat posted:

Especially considering Oliver has a joint black site prison with Argus to hold enemies of his without due process.

Maybe not for long apparently.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Sir Potato posted:

I think that's definitely true, but I'm hoping they flesh him out a lot more in the next season beyond 5-second encounters where he screams "You're bad for this city!!! I'm taking you down!!" and then disappears into thin air. I think he could work as a sort of mini-foil to Oliver but as of right now he seems more like a villain than an actual vigilante because, and I could be wrong, it's been a long season, we haven't seen him do anything good, which a name like vigilante usually implies, especially considering the character's history in the comics.

They already said they'll be exploring Vigilante more next season.

hangedman1984 posted:

I don't know what you are talking about, Manu Bennett has clearly stated he is not coming back to Arrow.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

BreakAtmo posted:

I really want the next crossover to be on Earth-38 with a war against Darkseid's army. It'll never happen since that's Justice League Part 2's domain, but I still want it.

Wait...why Earth-38 specifically?

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Earth_38

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

howe_sam posted:

Earth-38 is Supergirl's Earth in the CW continuity

Ughhhh why didn't they just pick an arbitrary number that wasn't already taken.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Tiggum posted:

But why even bother numbering the ones they don't care about? It's not like they're mapping the multiverse or something.

Just because the DC comics do it I'm pretty sure. It's expected, I suppose.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Sober posted:

And this week is almost like a bottle-ish? episode, which throws Oliver and Felicity together and basically forces them to talk about relationship drama? Sounds iffy on paper but I'll wait for the execution of it. Might not be too bad if you have the rest of the season to go by.

Me and STAC were discussing this before and I am a bit worried about it if it indeed goes that way. The Olicity poo poo has been at a good level this entire season (as in almost 0). Why gently caress it up now....*grumble*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Xarn posted:

I just got around watching the last episode, and I have to say that the technobabble is getting offensively stupid. I know its comicbook show and Felicity is still seen as important character, but could it be please toned down a little?

They'll get on that just as soon as they've reversed the negative power couplings. :techno:

• Locked thread