Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
September is here and hopefully the suckiness of August will be left behind. Sure we had some good times. We have laughed, we have cried, we have enjoyed discussing stupid stuff, but now it is a time to start anew, to celebrate the month of September, possibly by reading a wikipedia entry on the month of September. Did you know that September used to be called the "Harvest Month?" I didn't thank you Wikipedia. Speaking of harvest, did you know Batman was in a comic called Batman: Harvest Breed? It wasn't very good. Had some good looking art though, but sadly has nothing to do with September, or harvesting really. It is also the Fall/Autumn season. You can read about this beautiful month here. There is also a comicbook called the Autumnlands. I haven't read it myself but it is is by Kurt Busiek who is awesome so that might be a good comics. Probably a whole lot better than Batman: Harvest Breed (a comic that has nothing to do with Autumn or September)
If you want to read good comics though, here is a September reading list:

Daytripper, That One Summer, Can We Talk about Something Pleasant, Beautiful Darkness, Seconds (I tried to think of a theme more.....Autumny, and those were the comics that came to mind).

So go forth, celebrate the month of September, discuss your love of all things....comicbook related? Also read good comics and stop being a shithead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So this is a weird request but I'm striking out.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when the Ultimate line was still young, Marvel released trailers for their comic releases. I believe they were hosted on Marvel.com or whatever the website was back then. There was one for the second arc of Ult X-Men, the Weapon X arc and I can not find it or any trace that it existed. I was discussing this at the store and a customer called me out, accusing me of imagining the entire thing but I know it was a thing. Anybody else remember this or have a link handy?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I remember them doing trailers a long time ago. I don't remember that specific trailer though. I would imagine it's similar to this though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXe-u6_fHX4

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I remember them doing trailers a long time ago. I don't remember that specific trailer though. I would imagine it's similar to this though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXe-u6_fHX4

It's the Ult X one specifically that he says I imagined, I'm just trying to figure out if I did imagine it at this point.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Kraven's Last Hunt is a great comic, but the first pages where Kraven is naked, crawling and trashing his trophy room is the dumbest.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Joke's on you fucko! I'm gonna read bad comics and continue being a shithead and you can't stop me!

*Buys every single issue of Red Hood and the Outlaws*

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Toxxupation posted:

Joke's on you fucko! I'm gonna read bad comics and continue being a shithead and you can't stop me!

*Buys every single issue of Red Hood and the Outlaws*

You too have marvel unlimited and are reading every marvel superhero book on there?

(1334 title left)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Speaking of Unlimited, when did Hank Pym's famous slap occur? because I decided to read the Kree/Skrull war and Hank knocks Janet out with a backhand then ties her to a giant dragonfly (in order to send her away to safety while he leaps into danger) in the second issue (Avengers vol.1 #90)

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Speaking of Unlimited, when did Hank Pym's famous slap occur? because I decided to read the Kree/Skrull war and Hank knocks Janet out with a backhand then ties her to a giant dragonfly (in order to send her away to safety while he leaps into danger) in the second issue (Avengers vol.1 #90)

Avengers #213 I think.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I have PMs now, so if anyone ever wants to talk, that'd be cool.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That seems like an unwise investment.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

WickedHate posted:

Ok

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Madkal posted:

There is also a comicbook called the Autumnlands. I haven't read it myself but it is is by Kurt Busiek who is awesome so that might be a good comics.

Autumnlands loving rules and Busiek is not even the strongest element of it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

WickedHate posted:

Ok

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Y'know what, something about that image makes me want to doubt its veracity.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

CapnAndy posted:

Y'know what, something about that image makes me want to doubt its veracity.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

A friend of mine on twitter is currently five hours deep into some horribly overcomplicated board game. She's less than halfway through (it has seven rounds and she's in the third) and it, according to her, took the group an hour just to set the loving game up.

I feel like I'm hitting the point where I should be considering mounting some sort of rescue operation, because jesus christ.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Toxxupation posted:

A friend of mine on twitter is currently five hours deep into some horribly overcomplicated board game. She's less than halfway through (it has seven rounds and she's in the third) and it, according to her, took the group an hour just to set the loving game up.

I feel like I'm hitting the point where I should be considering mounting some sort of rescue operation, because jesus christ.
Is it that Firefly board game? I played a demo of that and after taking half an hour to fly across one square of empty space I got bored and walked away.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's Rune Wars, apparently.

Also, they apparently decided to call it before round five. So, to recap: hour setup, about five hours of play time, for a game they DIDN'T FINISH, and she ends up in third place. Which, looking online, is of an at most four possible places.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Now more than ever I want a boys' adventure comic about Gibby Haynes.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

They are real adventures.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Toxxupation posted:

It's Rune Wars, apparently.

Also, they apparently decided to call it before round five. So, to recap: hour setup, about five hours of play time, for a game they DIDN'T FINISH, and she ends up in third place. Which, looking online, is of an at most four possible places.

That's Fantasy Flight Games in a nutshell. I've had the same experience with Arkham Horror and Tannhauser. They seem to be going for a fusion of board game and tabletop RPG, but for some reason they think that requires them to include the most tedious aspects of both of those things.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

I remain highly dubious!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

And just when I thought I'd never think of something to get my dad for Christmas this year...

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Like John Wayne would be put his name on a shoddy product.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Madkal posted:

Like John Wayne would be put his name on a shoddy product.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Jim_McLain

Sure

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So that's who the Duke from Preacher is! Wow, I never knew Garth Ennis revived this old obscure comic book character.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

WickedHate posted:

So that's who the Duke from Preacher is! Wow, I never knew Garth Ennis revived this old obscure comic book character.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I hope whichever company owns him now gives him a new book in the next wave of relaunches.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Man, Did Avengers Academy really end 4 years ago? It feels like just yesterday when that was the hot new book.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just powered through the Omega Men trade and can I just say holy poo poo that was one great comic.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

Man, Did Avengers Academy really end 4 years ago? It feels like just yesterday when that was the hot new book.

The wounds are still fresh. :smith:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Apparently Annie Wu is from my town, and she is friends with an acquaintance of mine, who posted pics of them hanging out last night. I geeked out and asked if she was in town for a signing, and when my friend said she was just here visiting, I told her to say that I'm a huge fan of hers from Hawkeye and Venture Bros., and she is amazing (like Annie Wu doesn't already know that).

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Annie Wu is maybe my favorite artist right now. She does great faces and actions, and I love her style in her independent art.

Is she on anything after Black Canary, which I think/hope ended?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Speaking of Omega Men,

Here's an article trying to tie together three Tom King series at different companies as a trilogy http://www.comicosity.com/dissecting-the-king-in-black-trilogy-omega-men-vision-and-sheriff-of-babylon/
Maybe it's a good article, but I read "Like the King in Yellow" and backed out with True Detective internet analysis flashbacks.

More people in the world need to be turned on to Sheriff of Babylon anyhow, so read ahead.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My favorite restaurant burned down and closed. :(

The last few times I went it was looking increasingly run down and the very last time me and my friends all got sick as hell afterwards and were scared to go again, so I wouldn't be surprised if the fire was some kind of insurance thing. Either way, it's a goddamn shame. When I was in college I ate there at least once a week, it was great. I have no idea what happened to it over time, but now it's just gone.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Think of it as a mercy killing.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
You must have had good times there if it remained your favourite restaurant even after making you and your friends sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Starsnostars posted:

You must have had good times there if it remained your favourite restaurant even after making you and your friends sick.

It was great for 9 years and bad once. And it's not like we absolutely knew for sure it was the food that was bad, we very well could've just gotten a 24 hour bug. It's just when you get THAT sick, it's not a gamble you wanna take again.

• Locked thread