Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dave Barry books posted:

You can always buy a new one. :v:

I had a feeling this might happen. Oh well if this gets me to finally do the thing that's all good. Thanks for nothing GBS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Drokkin fatties. 5 months in iso-cubes!

I've been reading too much Dredd recently

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This works.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
There was a time where everything I did online was Madkal. It is time for that to die.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Who is doing the October thread?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mr Hootington posted:

Who is doing the October thread?

Ghost Rider.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

This could never be done in the modern day because it'd be nothing but "Hitler Did Nothing Wrong" and dickbutt.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Stan would constantly pull weird poo poo like that or put dumb jokes in the narration boxes that made fun of the story, it's charmingly bizarre but if I was the guy who plotted the issue, say one Steve Ditko, I'd probably get real tired of it real fast.

Also in a fairly early issue, Spider-man breaks the fourth wall and talks about how he's in a comic to a villain, so take that, Deadpool.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm pretty sure Dr Doom kidnaps or threatens to kill Stan Lee and Jack Kirby in his second or third appearance in order to draw the Fantastic Four into a trap.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's the thing Marvel has always had over DC, their so much more personal and whimsical.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

It gets wonderfully meta sometimes.

I can't be bothered to get a screenshot of it but also when MJ first shows up she calls everyone "dad" and then Spider-Man picks it up and starts calling people dad too, so you can read that as either a cute little moment of Peter picking up a verbal tick from his crush, or Stan Lee discovering a new slang that the kids are all saying and making all of his characters say it all the time.

Edit: Spider-Man also complains at one point that Bruce Wayne doesn't have to sell photos of all his fights just to pay the rent, or something like that.

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 28, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I'm pretty sure Dr Doom kidnaps or threatens to kill Stan Lee and Jack Kirby in his second or third appearance in order to draw the Fantastic Four into a trap.

Spawn threatened to kill God once too.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Red Bones posted:

I can't be bothered to get a screenshot of it but also when MJ first shows up she calls everyone "dad" and then Spider-Man picks it up and starts calling people dad too, so you can read that as either a cute little moment of Peter picking up a verbal tick from his crush, or Stan Lee discovering a new slang that the kids are all saying and making all of his characters say it all the time.

Hey, he was ahead of his time, everyone's calling each other daddy now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's a running gag of aunt may constantly loving up teen slang that's really cute.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Red Bones posted:

Edit: Spider-Man also complains at one point that Bruce Wayne doesn't have to sell photos of all his fights just to pay the rent, or something like that.

Both Marvel and DC comics exist in the 616, Marvel publishes fictional stories about actual superheroes and DC publishes stories about fictional superheroes.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Skwirl posted:

Both Marvel and DC comics exist in the 616, Marvel publishes fictional stories about actual superheroes and DC publishes stories about fictional superheroes.

I knew that Marvel existed in the 616 but that's probably the best demarcation between each company's creative philosophy that I've read.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I knew that Marvel existed in the 616 but that's probably the best demarcation between each company's creative philosophy that I've read.
I meant in the 616 Marvel comics exists and publishes comics about real people in their own universe, but the stories are made up, like how in the days of the old west there were fictional books about Buffalo Bill and Billy the Kid and Wild Bill Hickok (Jesus, I just realized how many cowboys were named Bill).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
In the DC universe this is what "Batman Comics" look like:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Red Bones posted:

Gotham is canon.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Skwirl posted:

I meant in the 616 Marvel comics exists and publishes comics about real people in their own universe, but the stories are made up, like how in the days of the old west there were fictional books about Buffalo Bill and Billy the Kid and Wild Bill Hickok (Jesus, I just realized how many cowboys were named Bill).

Yeah, I know, I just thought it was a really clever summation of what differentiates both publishers. I mean, you get the whole "people who happen to be heroes/heroes who happen to be people" saw but I always felt like that gave DC too little credit.

Madkal posted:

In the DC universe this is what "Batman Comics" look like:

You seem to have posted some N52 comics by mistake.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 29, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

purple death ray posted:

I had a feeling this might happen. Oh well if this gets me to finally do the thing that's all good. Thanks for nothing GBS

I don't care for mine either. I wonder if I can post again and get a reroll.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

It sort of blew my mind to learn that Buffalo Bill lived to see the start of the First World War while Wyatt Earp spent the last few years of his life living in Hollywood working as a creative consultant on 1920s western movies.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
AHahaha, holy poo poo, Deadpool annual brings back Livewires. <3

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

It sort of blew my mind to learn that Buffalo Bill lived to see the start of the First World War while Wyatt Earp spent the last few years of his life living in Hollywood working as a creative consultant on 1920s western movies.

There were widows collecting Civil War pensions into the 1960s

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Children of slaves voted for Obama. Not grandchildren, children.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Yours is so much better than mine.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Soonmot posted:

AHahaha, holy poo poo, Deadpool annual brings back Livewires. <3

What.

Like, Adam Warren's?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CapnAndy posted:

I'm trying to work out the timeline on this. Very young black people born in the tail end of the 1860s so technically considered having been a slave, having children well into their forties/fifties/possibly sixties (gonna assume mostly male so menopause isn't an issue) so, at the absolute best case scenario, you got ninety-year-olds voting in 2008? Is that how it works out?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hell, President John Tyler has grandsons alive today and he was born in 1790.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

I'm trying to work out the timeline on this. Very young black people born in the tail end of the 1860s so technically considered having been a slave, having children well into their forties/fifties/possibly sixties (gonna assume mostly male so menopause isn't an issue) so, at the absolute best case scenario, you got ninety-year-olds voting in 2008? Is that how it works out?

There is evidence of slavery existing into the 1930s and in fact can be considered still going on if we look at how certain states prison systems use prisoners as slaves.

Slavery by another name is a good book and documentary that talks about what was done to work around reconstruction and the emancipation to keep African Americans enslaved.

http://www.pbs.org/tpt/slavery-by-another-name/watch/

Edit: it is possible actual slaves voted for Obama.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

There is evidence of slavery existing into the 1930s and in fact can be considered still going on if we look at how certain states prison systems use prisoners as slaves.

Slavery by another name is a good book and documentary that talks about what was done to work around reconstruction and the emancipation to keep African Americans enslaved.

http://www.pbs.org/tpt/slavery-by-another-name/watch/

Edit: it is possible actual slaves voted for Obama.

There's also a documentary coming out soon about the prison system and the slavery exception.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

There were widows collecting Civil War pensions into the 1960s

2003, actually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gertrude_Janeway

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And she wasn't even the furthest Civil War widow, just the furthest to collect a pension.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

END ME SCOOB posted:

What.

Like, Adam Warren's?

Yep, he teams up with Gothic Lolita.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

muscles like this? posted:

There's also a documentary coming out soon about the prison system and the slavery exception.

If you're referring to that Netflix doc it looks good too

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Basically. Some of them were over 100.

edit: Here's the first one I found on Google, 109 years old. The story gives the entire timeline.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 29, 2016

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Soonmot posted:

Yep, he teams up with Gothic Lolita.

Kinda tempted to go pick up a copy of this now. Hmm.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Time for new thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sgt. Rocktober's General Chat Thread
Dr. Octoberpus' General Chat Thread

• Locked thread