Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Speaking of Unlimited, when did Hank Pym's famous slap occur? because I decided to read the Kree/Skrull war and Hank knocks Janet out with a backhand then ties her to a giant dragonfly (in order to send her away to safety while he leaps into danger) in the second issue (Avengers vol.1 #90)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I can't remember who was asking about Luke Cage comics, but or what thread they were asking in, and but Marvel Unlimited just added a bunch of Iron Fist, Power Man, and Power Man and Iron Fist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

There doesn't need to be racing games any more. Burnout Paradise exists, and that's the Forever Driving Game.

I don't own an XBox 1 and haven't even checked if it has a new Forza, but Forza 4 justified the entirety of the purchase price for my 360. Like, I still wouldn't buy an Xbone if it had a new Forza and it was better in every way to the last one because I don't have the time anymore for that kind of gaming, but I totally understand the mindset

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh god, I started re-reading Maximum Carnage and forgot how much weird continuity poo poo was going on, most of which I don't really understand. Peter's Parents are back from the dead (I think they're robots eventually) Spider-Doppleganger, both Norman and Harry Osborn are dead at the moment. Mary Jane is smoking because of the stress of being married to Spider-Man. Dagger of Cloak and Dagger dies in the second or third issue, I'm pretty sure she comes back during the event, but that's some hosed up poo poo. Also Carnage has killed at least 54 people in the two or three issues I've read, and he's not halfway done from what i remember. That dude who wrote Seduction of the Innocent might not have been half wrong.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Not to spoil you but the comic ends with the Marvel equivalent of the care bare stare so it ends up all right.

I read it when I was like twelve, there was a graphic novel, I'd just forgotten poo poo like Peter's robot parents and everyone named Osborn being dead, and Molten Man showing up at Harry Osborn's funeral. The whole thing is a continuity mess, which actually made it mesmerizing to 12 year old me.

I'm mostly just looking forward to when Captain America shows up, that was my first "wait, Captain America is actually loving awesome" moment.

Question time what the gently caress is up with the weird Spider-Doppelganger, and who the gently caress is Demogoblin, he hasn't shown up yet but I know he does and it feels like a weird pun on hemoglobin.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Count me pleasantly surprised, then. I'm more familiar with the whole Death/Return period from the BBC adaptation than the actual books.
Wait, what?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What a weird thing to make into a radio drama. Superman didn't have a british accent did he?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh God, Maximum Carnage is really bad, and the ordering system on Marvel Unlimited is completely hosed. Thankfully the covers say which part they are in a big enough font I can tell from the thumbnails which one's next.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Not immediately.

Because of gaps in their 90s comics that are starring Spider-Man but aren't titled Amazing Spider-Man it kinda is immediately following. When I got to the back half of Maximum Carnage the next issue of Spectacular or Web would be a halt dozen issues later and "Power and Responsibility part 1 of 4"

Somewhere between the two they got rid of Peter Parker's robot parents though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Maximum Carnage wrapped up in August of 1993 and the Clone Saga doesn't start until September of 1994.

Yes, but Marvel Unlimited doesn't have any of the issues of Spectacular Spider-Man that occur between the two.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaunab posted:

I finished my Luke Cage binge and I've come to the conclusion that no one really knows what to do with him which is a shame because I like the character. The asian mysticism makes Iron Fist easier to work I guess.

You're probably right about is early poo poo, but Bendis did okay with him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

That doesn't change the amount of time that actually passed.

A year isn't that long in comics and means nothing if you'rereading them later and have no access to what happened in between.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I READ IT AS IT CAME OUT SCREW YOU drat KIDS AND YOUR TECHNOLOGY.

What's the opposite of "get off my lawn you kids"? Pretend I said that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Hey BSS I got a question for you. Why is it when I read the star wars comics that I liked in my youth, they now instead annoy and infuriate me?

1 Corinthians 13:11

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

joehonkie posted:

Fortunately, most comic books are for adults!

They might be for older people but they aren't for adults.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Probably the best thing Bendis ever wrote.

I'd say his Daredevil might, might be better, but if it is, it's not by much.

Madkal posted:

Wasn't Liefeld supposed to be doing a comic based on the bible? Whatever happened to that?

I don't know about that, but Mike Allred made some books based on The Book of Mormon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jesus that sucks. 2016 is really a bitch of a year.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

Check Craigslist for bike postings. As someone who has two bikes stolen I feel your pain.

2016 isn't all bad guys. I just got engaged.

Your fiance probably stole his bike.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

He lost a fuckload of money buying those homerun balls. He paid $3 MILLION dollars for that McGwire ball and Beckett recently reported that post steroid scandal the ball has lost 75% of it's value.

Super rare collectibles are only worth what people will pay. The McGwire ball was worth 3 million when McFarlane bought it because he paid 3 million, it's worth 3 million dollars, or zero dollars or whatever someone else is willing to pay right now, but the first and last figures require someone wanting to buy it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

He quietly put it up for sale two years ago and the bidding only got up to like $175,000. This wasn't even in the ballpark of the reserve so I assume he kept it.

Jesus Christ that's sad. Yeah, it's now worth 175 thousand.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Probably even less since there's been a few talks of stripping McGwire of the record.

It's worth 175 thousand because that's the highest amount someone was willing to pay for it. If there's another bidding war that gets to 50 million dollars it's now worth 50 million dollars.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roth posted:

I just came to the realization that if everything goes well, I only have three semesters of college left after this one until I get my Bachelor's and that's a really nice feeling after struggling through general education for five years.

I should probably see a councilor about teacher certification.

You should see a psychiatrist about wanting teacher certification.

Edit: But good on ya for getting through college.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I didn't know there was an ignore function. Or is it platinum only?

Click on someone's profile and at the bottom are 2 buttons "Add to Buddy List" and "Add to Ignore List" and it's not platinum only unless someone upgraded me without my knowledge.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's been awhile since I read Son of the Demon, but it would have been hard to fold "Batman marries Talia, has a baby with her and accepts Ra's Al Ghul's offer to be his heir" into main continuity with out adding either drugs or mind control.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rewatched the Luke Cage trailer because I'm hyped as hell about it. My one new thought is it's awesome that Rosario Dawson is basically the Netflix version of Nick Fury. I would bet money on her being the person to bring everyone together for The Defenders.

My second new thought is that it's bullshit she's not The Night Nurse

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Thanks for saying, and I sure do hope so; she she definitely wasn't well - she'd been ill earlier in the year but recovered, but then it was a very fast decline over the past week. Still, she was never treated unkindly and she never wanted for anything. 15 isn't bad for a cat.

You know what they say, "And though you are not sentient, and do not comprehend, I nonetheless consider you a true and valued friend."

I feel for you and and your cat, try and take solace in knowing that you provided a good home and love for her.

That being said, TNG was a loving horrible tv show, and this is a very good example of why.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

TNG is actually a really good show, and here is a good example why https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcJwpR67aPI

On the on hand you have this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_8nY_LQL3w

on the other you got this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY3nY8SAnXs

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Also them constantly shutting down the only Black person on the show constantly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edflm7Hh3hs

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Klingons used to have an interesting culture to contrast the federation with before TNG made them all zealous idiots who want to get into fights to the death over everything and eat alive food.

They were better when they were basically the USSR with slightly racist Asian eye makeup back in the 60s.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Geordi isn't black within the context of the show, because the Federation has evolved past race.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh

Aliens in Sci-Fi are parables for interracial or intercultural interactions and when they're good they attempt to show us a better way. In TNG every time they interact with an Alien culture, or every time Worf comes into conflict with a human on the Enterprise the solution is for either the new planet or Worf to act more like the rest of the Enterprise or Federation. Racist is probably too strong of a term, but culturally imperialist definitely fits.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Wow there's a lot to unpack there.

Yeah, TNG has a huge number of issues with it. I don't think people who like it are assholes and I admit to liking the odd episode and it's got a charismatic cast. But as a whole it's incredibly problematic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

He's not even the only alien on the bridge, let alone the show, and a key component of his character is that he's from the Federation.

That's central to my point. He's part of the Federation but still often separate from them, much like the experience of a Black American.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm pretty sure Dr Doom kidnaps or threatens to kill Stan Lee and Jack Kirby in his second or third appearance in order to draw the Fantastic Four into a trap.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Red Bones posted:

Edit: Spider-Man also complains at one point that Bruce Wayne doesn't have to sell photos of all his fights just to pay the rent, or something like that.

Both Marvel and DC comics exist in the 616, Marvel publishes fictional stories about actual superheroes and DC publishes stories about fictional superheroes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I knew that Marvel existed in the 616 but that's probably the best demarcation between each company's creative philosophy that I've read.
I meant in the 616 Marvel comics exists and publishes comics about real people in their own universe, but the stories are made up, like how in the days of the old west there were fictional books about Buffalo Bill and Billy the Kid and Wild Bill Hickok (Jesus, I just realized how many cowboys were named Bill).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

It sort of blew my mind to learn that Buffalo Bill lived to see the start of the First World War while Wyatt Earp spent the last few years of his life living in Hollywood working as a creative consultant on 1920s western movies.

There were widows collecting Civil War pensions into the 1960s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Children of slaves voted for Obama. Not grandchildren, children.

Yours is so much better than mine.

• Locked thread