Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
September is here and hopefully the suckiness of August will be left behind. Sure we had some good times. We have laughed, we have cried, we have enjoyed discussing stupid stuff, but now it is a time to start anew, to celebrate the month of September, possibly by reading a wikipedia entry on the month of September. Did you know that September used to be called the "Harvest Month?" I didn't thank you Wikipedia. Speaking of harvest, did you know Batman was in a comic called Batman: Harvest Breed? It wasn't very good. Had some good looking art though, but sadly has nothing to do with September, or harvesting really. It is also the Fall/Autumn season. You can read about this beautiful month here. There is also a comicbook called the Autumnlands. I haven't read it myself but it is is by Kurt Busiek who is awesome so that might be a good comics. Probably a whole lot better than Batman: Harvest Breed (a comic that has nothing to do with Autumn or September)
If you want to read good comics though, here is a September reading list:

Daytripper, That One Summer, Can We Talk about Something Pleasant, Beautiful Darkness, Seconds (I tried to think of a theme more.....Autumny, and those were the comics that came to mind).

So go forth, celebrate the month of September, discuss your love of all things....comicbook related? Also read good comics and stop being a shithead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Like John Wayne would be put his name on a shoddy product.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just powered through the Omega Men trade and can I just say holy poo poo that was one great comic.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

We're dangerously close to bursting into an actual console war here, so let me just say:

The Wii U has the best selection of games of the current gen.

Damnit people this is a comic book thread. DC rulez, Marvel droolz. That's how it's done.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

So to clarify is this thread to talk about comic books in a more freeform way than in specific threads, or is it for people to talk about literally everything other than comics with their comic book crew?

Just in case either way, I really don't understand what everyone sees in Unfollow, and I don't see why people don't like this season of Mr. Robot. And I think I have a stye on my right eyelid.

It's also here to make sure goons read good comics and stop being shitheads.

Also I couldn't really get into the first season of Mr Robot and stopped half way but have been told to give it another try. Also a fan of Breaking Bad tried his hardest to make sure to make sure I didn't enjoy the show and I stopped watching it halfway mid season 1 too.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I retroactively read Azbats as Batman's voice from Holy musical B@man.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
So comic book writer/artist related question: do writers/artists hate it when they hear (or told) that someone will trade-wait a comic book?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Speaking of Maximum Carnage I always thought Shriek was an interesting character when handled well. I don't know if she was handled well in MC because I only read about a third of the issues in the event, but she had a good story arc with Carrion years later.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

What's the opposite of "get off my lawn you kids"? Pretend I said that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

site posted:

I was kinda hoping this was gonna link to some crazy comic book version of the Bible

Wasn't Liefeld supposed to be doing a comic based on the bible? Whatever happened to that?

Travis343 posted:

Well I'm a huge nerd who spends most of my disposable income on action figures and video games but like I have a decent job, I pay my bills on time, I have a solid credit score, I don't go around without showering, I don't eat fast food every meal... I don't think having nerdy hobbies means you are a manchild. I think you can be a responsible adult who just really likes Batman.

Agreed. I like comics and have a surfing Batman on my work computer, but can still (sort of) do my own taxes, hold down a conversation with other adults, and not throw a tantrum when someone disagrees with me. Nothing wrong with having hobbies, as long as you can still grow up and think like an adult.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Soonmot posted:

My awesome new Trek bicycle (that I bought a month ago and am still paying off) was stolen out of my garage last night. I am so upset and teetering on depression that the only thing that has helped, aside from playing with puppies today, was being convinced too set up a gofundme and the immediate response it got from a few of my good friends.

This means, that I can't get a new snake in October, and I was really looking forward to that.

Check Craigslist for bike postings. As someone who has two bikes stolen I feel your pain.

2016 isn't all bad guys. I just got engaged.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Soonmot posted:

It all makes sense now....

Well we did do some awesome off road biking this weekend. Your bike held up very well.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Soonmot posted:

Not only did I raise the money I needed for a new bike in less than 24 hours, I was able to raise enough to offset the GoFundMe fees and to be able to get a headlight and wheel lights. For everyone who says the internet isn't real, I was gifted more money from internet friends than my irl ones. If I add in family the internet/irl split is more 50/50. I actually feel loved after waking up and seeing that.

New bike is going to live in the house with me, though.

My buddy had his bike stolen a month or two back and so when he got a new one (courtesy of Mastercard who refunded him his money because the bike was stolen less than 2 weeks from when he bought it) he went looking for the best locks money could buy. He did get something that had a guarantee attached to it (pretty much if your bike was stolen they would buy you a new bike) but the thing weighed as much as a small baby. He has been telling me that there is some Danish company that is prototyping bikes with GPS built into them for tracking purposes though. One day though, we will live in a day without bike thieves and need for baby-weighing locks.

Also: awesome news on getting enough for a new bike!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Or just do what another one of my biking mates did. Have your totally awesome expensive insane bike for rides but also get a cheap piece of poo poo for when you need to be somewhere.

Has there ever been a bicycle themed hero/villain in comics, or is Ghost Rider the closest we will ever get?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Todd has always come across to me as someone with a massive chip on his shoulder.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
When you think about it aren't sports stars real life heroes, and when you find out they cheat it's like being a resident in Gotham and finding out Batman kept breaking Joker out of Arkham just so he could capture him again and look good. Or more accurately that Batman was juicing on venom.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I see GBS doesn't exist anymore. What happened to the cesspit that was GBS?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Here is a list of goons I love in no real order.

1. All of you.
2. None of you.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

It's been awhile since I read Son of the Demon, but it would have been hard to fold "Batman marries Talia, has a baby with her and accepts Ra's Al Ghul's offer to be his heir" into main continuity with out adding either drugs or mind control.

There was so much weirdness going on with Son of the Demon that it made sense for Morrison to pick and chose out of it, but it still doesn't excuse the date rape vibe of Batman.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Zachack posted:

No but, and as much as I'd rather not get into superhero sex chat, I would assume that Batman would not have unprotected sex. I think a big problem I have is that you're springing an unexpected grown child on Batman and it meshes poorly with how the character is usually portrayed and drifts into uncomfortable blame issuance, in a way that wouldn't be as much of an issue with, say, Hawkeye or Guy Gardner (kinda guessing on the latter).

Now I might be the one misremembering Son of the Demon but I think Bats was quite happy when he heard Talia was pregnant.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
For the longest time SotD was considered outside canon but then Morrison wanted to use Batman's son in his arc so he said it was now part of canon, but completely misremembered the story and left out the crazier elements from that story.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Star Trek is for neeeeeerrrrrddddsss!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
There was a time where everything I did online was Madkal. It is time for that to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
In the DC universe this is what "Batman Comics" look like:

• Locked thread