Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Joke's on you fucko! I'm gonna read bad comics and continue being a shithead and you can't stop me!

*Buys every single issue of Red Hood and the Outlaws*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

A friend of mine on twitter is currently five hours deep into some horribly overcomplicated board game. She's less than halfway through (it has seven rounds and she's in the third) and it, according to her, took the group an hour just to set the loving game up.

I feel like I'm hitting the point where I should be considering mounting some sort of rescue operation, because jesus christ.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's Rune Wars, apparently.

Also, they apparently decided to call it before round five. So, to recap: hour setup, about five hours of play time, for a game they DIDN'T FINISH, and she ends up in third place. Which, looking online, is of an at most four possible places.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I dunno if you remember the E3 that consisted entirely of Sony making fun of Microsoft's terrible and anti-consumer business practices, concluding with the most fire-emoji level dunk E3 has ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA

But that's how the PS4 got a bigger share of the market.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also I mean, their UI is horrendous too. It was built from the ground up to be utilized primarily via Kinect, and was forced to be changed to be Kinectless within literal months once Microsoft reversed on the "always plugged in Kinect" policy. So, even now, it's a confluence of tiles and bullshit that's slow as gently caress and impossible to navigate quickly or concisely.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It also led to the famous instance where the executive in charge of their entire games division responded to the reasonable question of what people who live in rural areas or people deployed in third world nations without stable internet should do and he said, quote, "We have a product for them, it's called the Xbox 360."

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

There doesn't need to be racing games any more. Burnout Paradise exists, and that's the Forever Driving Game.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Travis343 posted:

It's objectively not a racing game but BeamNG.drive is proof that there can always be more cargames

Okay that's cheating. That is like when people are playing pogs and you take out the two pound solid steel Nickelodeon GUTS slammer and toss that poo poo on top. You can't just do that, Travis343. You can't just do that, I saved up all my allowance on my X-Men the Animated Series limited edition pog where you can see Rogue's boobs.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Unfortunately, only '90s therapists would get it, so.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm posting this trailer everywhere I can because I'm in stunned disbelief that not only is this movie being made, but it has an absolute murderer's row of Oscar talent acting within it. It blows my mother loving mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOMZlHYfXWc

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Alias is a really loving good comic, guys.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rhyno posted:

Probably the best thing Bendis ever wrote.

Ultimate Spider-Man is a thing Bendis wrote, though...but yeah, it's really really really good.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Something that's never been shown is the five tied up Gwen Stacys that Spider-Man caught.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm watching this old Todd McFarlane interview and it's pretty funny how he genuinely comes off as a disturbed sociopath. It's a promotional video for the Spawn video game, so it's supposed to present him in the best possible light, and there's literally a segment where he overdefensively goes "I know people say I don't write fast enough, but when I'm not doing the Spawn comic I'm MAKING TOYS! :mad: " like that makes an iota of sense.

Also there's a segment where he goes "People say I must have a disturbed mind to think up stuff like this, but I gotta tell you I sleep like a baby". Todd McFarlane is a weird, weird, weird dude.

ed - "If you had one superpower what would it be?" "World Peace." oh my god

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I saw that on the Giantbomb vid you probably did too.
His two little daughters in pink princess dresses were a hilarious juxtaposition. Seemed like he was a good dad while being 90's comic man, which is all that matters :)

Yeah that's where I saw it.

It's more that I expected the guy who created the most 90s comic ever to be a weird introvert, not basically Patrick Bateman as Giant Bomb pointed out.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rhyno posted:

Probably even less since there's been a few talks of stripping McGwire of the record.

It'll never happen, because MLB will basically have to regard the entirety of the late nineties - early 00s (when baseball was at its hottest and records were being broken all over the place) as one giant asterisk. Once you strip McGwire you're gonna have to do Bonds, and then that will have a trickle-down effect on everyone else, since they were all juicing back then.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm surprised that Bonds poo poo is worthless. But OTOH I'm SF born and raised so maybe my perspective is flawed.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Parasol Prophet posted:

Early Spiderman sounds like something I want to read. Is there any specific run/writer, or is it just a general timespan from whenever he first appeared? (I am new at comics.)

The first 200 issues of Amazing Spider-Man. It's a run of comics basically everyone, everywhere should read, and has arguably the best comic story ever written in "If This Be My Destiny...!"

Anyways, yeah. Great run of comics. It's surprisingly modern for its time and still holds up some sixty years removed. I think it's all on Unlimited, too.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I believe Amazing Spider-Man 1 reprints the Spider-Man story from Amazing Fantasy #15, and if it doesn't that issue is also on MU.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 21, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Helldump got killed for a totally bullshit reason, but Helldump had long gone past its sell-by when it was retired. It wasn't outing pedophiles anymore, it was "someone said something I slightly disagree with on twitter so I'm gonna find out what high school they went to".

Like, the biggest Helldump of this decade was like Zeitgueist, and that didn't even happen on Helldump.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 22, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Travis343 posted:

Yeah because being banned always keeps lovely posters out of BSS

Rhyno posted:

If hell dump was still around I'd have put DT on blast like 80 times by now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSTNuYBG0OQ&t=3414s

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think it's conceivable that superheroes would go to more than one person for medical treatment considering there's literally hundreds of them in the world.

And, as much as I like Rosario Dawson, Rachel McAdams is a much, much better actress than her.

Making Rosario Dawson into Spectrum would rule pretty loving hard, though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Patsy Walker didn't get an ongoing due to the Jessica Jones TV show, come on.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rhyno posted:

It's at least a part of it.

A small part, considering that comics (especially AKA Hellcat) Patsy Walker and JJ's "Trish" Walker aren't the same person on any level whatsoever. Also I sincerely doubt "I watched a TV show so now I want to read a totally tonally different comic that relies on the reader knowing the crazy comics backstory of a C-tier superhero" is something people actually say.

Like, Supergirl Rebirth is reflective of the TV show's popularity, Agents of SHIELD goes without saying, the upcoming Jessica Jones solo most definitely is due to the TV show (down to them straight-up lifting the logo) but when you get as far afield and obscure as stuff like Mockingbird or Patsy Walker I sincerely doubt it's, for any really significant reason, due to there being a TV show that exists with the characters because they're so tonally and thematically different from their onscreen counterparts.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Thanks for the notification, let's see what I get reincarnated as.

In other news, I'm rewatching/actually finishing for the first time Jessica Jones because I'm so loving hyped for Luke Cage and even beyond my inherent loathing for how deeply the show mischaracterized Patsy Walker I really can't stand how poorly written Trish's plotlines are in JJ. None of the dialog feels naturalistic, it's all Trish/the policeman dude speaking at each other in extended monologues that feel super Tell-y and not Show-y.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This works.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Skwirl posted:

Both Marvel and DC comics exist in the 616, Marvel publishes fictional stories about actual superheroes and DC publishes stories about fictional superheroes.

I knew that Marvel existed in the 616 but that's probably the best demarcation between each company's creative philosophy that I've read.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Skwirl posted:

I meant in the 616 Marvel comics exists and publishes comics about real people in their own universe, but the stories are made up, like how in the days of the old west there were fictional books about Buffalo Bill and Billy the Kid and Wild Bill Hickok (Jesus, I just realized how many cowboys were named Bill).

Yeah, I know, I just thought it was a really clever summation of what differentiates both publishers. I mean, you get the whole "people who happen to be heroes/heroes who happen to be people" saw but I always felt like that gave DC too little credit.

Madkal posted:

In the DC universe this is what "Batman Comics" look like:

You seem to have posted some N52 comics by mistake.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CapnAndy posted:

Children of slaves voted for Obama. Not grandchildren, children.

I'm trying to work out the timeline on this. Very young black people born in the tail end of the 1860s so technically considered having been a slave, having children well into their forties/fifties/possibly sixties (gonna assume mostly male so menopause isn't an issue) so, at the absolute best case scenario, you got ninety-year-olds voting in 2008? Is that how it works out?

• Locked thread