Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So this is a weird request but I'm striking out.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when the Ultimate line was still young, Marvel released trailers for their comic releases. I believe they were hosted on Marvel.com or whatever the website was back then. There was one for the second arc of Ult X-Men, the Weapon X arc and I can not find it or any trace that it existed. I was discussing this at the store and a customer called me out, accusing me of imagining the entire thing but I know it was a thing. Anybody else remember this or have a link handy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I remember them doing trailers a long time ago. I don't remember that specific trailer though. I would imagine it's similar to this though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXe-u6_fHX4

It's the Ult X one specifically that he says I imagined, I'm just trying to figure out if I did imagine it at this point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

It is me, the one who has sold old systems and now painfully regrets it.

When we moved a few years ago I slipped and the box I was carrying took a plunge down the stairs. My game gamecube was in that box and it hopped out of the box and shattered on the concrete.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I got rid of all my old games and consoles a few years ago since they were just taking up space. I don't regret it in the least.

I currently own a 360, an Xbone, a Wii and an N64 that hasn't been powered on in 2 years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghostlight posted:

I am the idiot video game machine collector.

Why do I even own a Jaguar? I've literally never played it.

Paperweight?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Rhyno, you might be the only person in history who's managed to break a Gamecube.

Incidentally, since you get early comics, have you read the new Doom Patrol? I'm finishing the Morrison omnibus right now, about to start that X-Force parody, move on to Flex Mentallo and make the Young Animal thread :cheers:

It fell REALLY FAR.

And we don't get super early copies of everything, had I gotten DP #1 I'd have posted about it by now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't there a part of that run where he has her do the creepy "shapeshift into having bigger boobs/sluttier clothes/more ridiculous hair" thing

This never happened. There's a single page where she changes into four different shapes but that's it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ferrule posted:

Whatever way you read Maximum Carnage just make you stop when you're done because, if memory serves, the Clone Saga is next.

Not immediately.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Because of gaps in their 90s comics that are starring Spider-Man but aren't titled Amazing Spider-Man it kinda is immediately following. When I got to the back half of Maximum Carnage the next issue of Spectacular or Web would be a halt dozen issues later and "Power and Responsibility part 1 of 4"

Somewhere between the two they got rid of Peter Parker's robot parents though.

Maximum Carnage wrapped up in August of 1993 and the Clone Saga doesn't start until September of 1994.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

So comic book writer/artist related question: do writers/artists hate it when they hear (or told) that someone will trade-wait a comic book?

In some cases (Image) they get better royalties out of the collected edition but most creators probably want you to buy singles and the trade.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Yes, but Marvel Unlimited doesn't have any of the issues of Spectacular Spider-Man that occur between the two.

That doesn't change the amount of time that actually passed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I READ IT AS IT CAME OUT SCREW YOU drat KIDS AND YOUR TECHNOLOGY.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

Alias is a really loving good comic, guys.

Probably the best thing Bendis ever wrote.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

So, where does everyone stand on the "Peter killed Gwen" debate? Good? Bad? A guy with a gun?

Norman killed her. He threw her off the building. She died while Peter tried to rescue her but Peter did not kill her.

There's an interesting take on it during the Clone Saga where Ben just so happens to see a woman fall off the same bridge and he makes a huge point of swinging down to catch her midfall and redirect the momentum rather than catching her with a web line because "hey this guy is better at being Spider-man than Peter HINT HINT HINT."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
An alternate universe where everyone is from Boston?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

He has hair! I'll take that as a sign that he's doing better!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Question IRL posted:

The trick isn't getting one awesome bike lock. Any one lock no matter how good can be broken.

Buy multiple locks and chains and use them all at once. Make it a gordion knot designed to make thieves give up.

You could build an entire decoy bike out of locks. When the thief finishes unlocking the last lock the bike has vanished.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

I'm watching this old Todd McFarlane interview and it's pretty funny how he genuinely comes off as a disturbed sociopath. It's a promotional video for the Spawn video game, so it's supposed to present him in the best possible light, and there's literally a segment where he overdefensively goes "I know people say I don't write fast enough, but when I'm not doing the Spawn comic I'm MAKING TOYS! :mad: " like that makes an iota of sense.

Also there's a segment where he goes "People say I must have a disturbed mind to think up stuff like this, but I gotta tell you I sleep like a baby". Todd McFarlane is a weird, weird, weird dude.

ed - "If you had one superpower what would it be?" "World Peace." oh my god

Todd's been a weird dick for a long time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Argue posted:

I don't know anything about Tom DeFalco's work. Is he any good? Because he's the latest person to be snapped up for an ongoing from Archie, this one in particular is a Reggie comic.

He's the last person I'd expect them to hire to work on the modernized Archie universe. Dude is old and his writing style is very dated.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

He's the opposite of as humble as a person who got extremely rich and famous because of the ephemeral and unpredictable whims of the comic industry circa 1990 should reasonably be. I'm not saying shaking up the visual look of Spider-Man wasn't a positive change and long overdue and he's contributed permanently to the legacy of the character but dude acts like he's the some kind of impossibly prescient business savant.

He lost a fuckload of money buying those homerun balls. He paid $3 MILLION dollars for that McGwire ball and Beckett recently reported that post steroid scandal the ball has lost 75% of it's value.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Edge & Christian posted:

That's completely insane.

They still publish Beckett? Unbelievable.

Heh.

At one point Beckett had 5 monthly, 4 quarterly and 4 annual publications. I believe they are down to one. Their website is thriving though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Super rare collectibles are only worth what people will pay. The McGwire ball was worth 3 million when McFarlane bought it because he paid 3 million, it's worth 3 million dollars, or zero dollars or whatever someone else is willing to pay right now, but the first and last figures require someone wanting to buy it.

He quietly put it up for sale two years ago and the bidding only got up to like $175,000. This wasn't even in the ballpark of the reserve so I assume he kept it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

So someone won't pay 3 million after a steroid scandal, but will pay thousands and thousands of dollars still? Rich people are crazy.

And stupid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Jesus Christ that's sad. Yeah, it's now worth 175 thousand.

Probably even less since there's been a few talks of stripping McGwire of the record.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

It'll never happen, because MLB will basically have to regard the entirety of the late nineties - early 00s (when baseball was at its hottest and records were being broken all over the place) as one giant asterisk. Once you strip McGwire you're gonna have to do Bonds, and then that will have a trickle-down effect on everyone else, since they were all juicing back then.

Of course it won't happen. But just the discussion is enough to wreck McGwire values. Same with Sosa and Bonds, their poo poo is worthless these days.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

I'm surprised that Bonds poo poo is worthless. But OTOH I'm SF born and raised so maybe my perspective is flawed.

I mean, worthless is a strong word but his prices bottomed out a few years back. My store used to do major money in sports cards and autographs and his prices are so low it's not even worth keeping anything in stock. Ditto for Sosa and McGwire.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

It's worth 175 thousand because that's the highest amount someone was willing to pay for it. If there's another bidding war that gets to 50 million dollars it's now worth 50 million dollars.

It's not worth $175K because the auction didn't meet the reserve and there's no way to say that the high bidder would have even paid which is incredibly common in auctions such as that. It's all hypothetical but it's far more likely that it's perceived value is even less than what it used to be.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I miss hell dump.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If hell dump was still around I'd have put DT on blast like 80 times by now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

I would still sleep a little better if it was gone

If you made a helldump thread calling out some comicbook forum slapfight fuckin Boniface would find some poo poo you wrote in 2001 and get you fired or some poo poo.

Sadly Helldump was already long gone when DT equated Jason Todd's comic book death and resurrection with real world rape.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

I do love you Rhyno, but at times you come off as a little too aggressive and pre-occupied with this whole subject.

I'm riled up again because of his loving stupid post about Trinity #1.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghostlight posted:

I'm curious about this post because I don't browse much of BSS so my exposure to dark titsanime is very low.

Turn back before it's too late.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I read Trinity.

Art is gorgeous but the writing left a LOT to be desired. Manapul instead of organically deal with pre flashpoint Superman earning the trust and friendship of Bruce and Diana. Just have them talk about Superbro for a couple of pages and then a cut offscreen later they're all chummy as if they always would've been friends. Bullshit.

He's so goddamn dense his head might be a diamond.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dario the Wop posted:

It's a straw that broke the camel's back thing. I lurk more than post and I could see that. DT was the first poster I ever put on ignore.

His rape post was like 3 years ago and had he not edited it he'd probably have been banned and that would have been that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

Do I even want to know what this whole rape thing is about?

He made a post equating what had happened to fictional Jason Todd to actual, real world rape. He edited it but it was so disgusting that it pretty much made me instantly hate him forever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I've seen people equate the following to rape:

-skyrim mod packs created without the original modders' permission
-an anime video game character being given more clothes in the US localization of the game
-hugging royalty
-a bad adaptation of a book in movie form
-putting a gamergate joke in an anime
-the art in Squirrel Girl

Add in all the goddamned stupid poo poo he's posted on these forums about Red Hood and he puts me over the edge.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Soonmot posted:

He's one of the only two forum regulars I've put on ignore. It's great to have different perspectives on things, but.... Goddamn.

I mean, I am fully aware of how much of a fuckstick I have been at times but I really feel like I add to the forums these days. DT is literally a waste of breathable air.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So as several people have messaged me about my recent posts I feel the need to apologize for being such an rear end in a top hat the last few weeks. I appreciate the concern and I will try to stop being such a oval office.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

My second new thought is that it's bullshit she's not The Night Nurse

That is pretty irritating. Didn't the producers outright say she was in Daredevil season 1?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

Patsy Walker didn't get an ongoing due to the Jessica Jones TV show, come on.

It's at least a part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

And you get all these same comments whenever somebody posts a Squirrel Girl or something. Hell someone tried to claim Tradd Moore was a lovely artist just recently.

Someone recently referred to Steve Rude as a "fill-in" artist and I about lost my poo poo.

• Locked thread