Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Elon loving Musk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

GameCube posted:

Elon's loving Musk.

Pheromones for PUAs

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
Elon's loving Musk

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

bump_fn posted:

Elon's loving Musk

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Malcolm XML posted:

self driving car tech is trivial in 99% of cases, so trivial that iphone hacker dude could do it with cots parts

the hard part is that 1% and most systems now will basically go "lmao u handle this"

its gonna be a clusterfuck

nah. highway driving or stop and go traffic is easy to automate. when the car hits something it can't do it will hand off to a remote driver in a tesla driving center who will guide it through the challenging part and in the process plot a course for future self-driving cars. the people in the car won't even know it happened

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
Amazon Fire ... but for cars!!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

The Management posted:

nah. highway driving or stop and go traffic is easy to automate. when the car hits something it can't do it will hand off to a remote driver in a tesla driving center who will guide it through the challenging part and in the process plot a course for future self-driving cars. the people in the car won't even know it happened

:lol:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

The Management posted:

can't wait for split-second life-or-death decisions being made by call center employees

brb gonna start a company that provides remote piloting for teslas and/or military drones

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

this soccer mom makes $300 an hour working from home piloting predator drones!!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

would predator drones be less morally wrong if instead of dropping bombs they just gave explosive diarrhea to whomever was targeted

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

duTrieux. posted:

would predator drones be less morally wrong if instead of dropping bombs they just gave explosive diarrhea to whomever was targeted

I'm doxxing u seth mcfarlane

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

what if instead of dropping bombs we just used the drones to gang-stalk terrorists

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

dont worry, im sure therell be sv drone chipotle delivery soon enough

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
is noe one else going to talk about how comically the zuck trying to launch a satellite is getting into evil bond villain territory

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

vodkat posted:

is noe one else going to talk about how comically the zuck trying to launch a satellite is getting into evil bond villain territory

really makes you think

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

far from the final frontier, the devops python rocket burned by significant whitespace

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Management posted:

So if the connection to the tesla call center is laggy, does the car slam to a stop in the road, or does it just continue executing the most recent input?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

vodkat posted:

peter thiel has that covered

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there's a continuum when it comes to satellites

[easy to access, expensive satellite -----------------------------------------------hard to access, cheap satellite]

the reason that you can pick up GPS with a patch antenna in your phone is because the government (healthily) funded it and there's a satellite the size of a VW with solar panels the size of a school bus sending you the signal. meanwhile for the average $100k ham satellite I need directional antennas 30 feet in the air and two runs of feedline that cost a dollar a foot and a $500 radio

guess which end of the continuum some ~disruptive startup is gonna land on

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sagebrush posted:

So if the connection to the tesla call center is laggy, does the car slam to a stop in the road, or does it just continue executing the most recent input?

it will self direct to a stop waiting until the next operator is available, your call is important to us. you won't even notice because you will be staring at your phone the whole time

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Elon "Elon Musk" Musk really hates mark zuckerberg and blew up his satellite.

gently caress yeah the future

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

peter thiel has that covered

speaking of peter thiel, i realized yesterday that he's the one responsible for the "we'll grant a high schooler $100,000 for being smart and entrepreneurial but they aren't allowed to go to college" grants

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Sagebrush posted:

speaking of peter thiel, i realized yesterday that he's the one responsible for the "we'll grant a high schooler $100,000 for being smart and entrepreneurial but they aren't allowed to go to college" grants

wait what

link

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

http://thielfellowship.org/

silicon valley made fun of it in the first season

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

GameCube posted:

Elon loving Musk.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

SpaceAceJase posted:

If you look closely at the vid from US Launch Report you see the ignition source near the propellant loading umbilical. Now that is not to say that was the exact cause. But there is overwelming consensus from SpaceX that it was not the fault of the rocket. And this is only speculation, but my opinion is based off deductive reasoning based on the fireball created... From the video you can see the the 2nd stage ignite and in turn rupturing the first sdage and as you seenthere was a cascade of fuel much like a Guinness cascade coming down.

"our logs show that the satellite was the source of the explosion" - elon musk

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Jonny 290 posted:

there's a continuum when it comes to satellites

[easy to access, expensive satellite -----------------------------------------------hard to access, cheap satellite]

the reason that you can pick up GPS with a patch antenna in your phone is because the government (healthily) funded it and there's a satellite the size of a VW with solar panels the size of a school bus sending you the signal. meanwhile for the average $100k ham satellite I need directional antennas 30 feet in the air and two runs of feedline that cost a dollar a foot and a $500 radio

guess which end of the continuum some ~disruptive startup is gonna land on

Planet Labs' workaround was to hitchhike on big launches and spam LEO with cellphones that have zoom lenses and solar panels

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah everybody screams "throw a billion LEO satellites at it i want my own constellation" but satellite tech doesnt scale linearly up and down with size. cubesats are dumb af. cool toys horrid for business

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
space

the final fart tier

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i think its amazing that we have like, over a thousand geosynchronous satellites in orbit and have our poo poo together well enough that they have gas thrusters that we control to maintain their orbit properly, and when we run low on a particular bird's hydrazine or whatever, we use the last bit to launch it to a parking orbit higher up so it never crashes into us and has a >1day period

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

i think its amazing that we have like, over a thousand geosynchronous satellites in orbit and have our poo poo together well enough that they have gas thrusters that we control to maintain their orbit properly, and when we run low on a particular bird's hydrazine or whatever, we use the last bit to launch it to a parking orbit higher up so it never crashes into us and has a >1day period

satellites are cool

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
AO-7 is one of my favorites.

quote:

AO-7 (aka AMSAT-OSCAR 7) is the second Phase 2 amateur radio satellite constructed by AMSAT-NA, and it was launched into Low Earth Orbit on November 15, 1974. It remained operational until a battery failure in 1981. Then after 21 years of silence, the satellite was heard again on June 21, 2002 — 27 years after launch.

AMSAT reported AO-7 still operational on June 25, 2015, with reliable power only from its solar panels; the report stated the cause of the 21-year outage was a short circuit in the battery and the restoration of service was due to its becoming an open circuit. The satellite eclipses on every orbit during the northern summer and autumn; the rest of the year it is in continuous sunlight and alternates between transmission modes A and B. All transponders and beacons are operational.

they were smart enough to hard wire the batteries to the solar panels, and the batteries grew whiskers and failed short, but over 21 years the solar panel slowly ate away through those whiskers with the equivalent of a mouse fart's worth of electricity for a few hours a day. and all that time the boards survived enough bombardment from whatever gamma rays and neutron garbage that the motherfucker fired back up again as soon as the power rails saw +v.

imagine building anything that tough

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jimmy Carter posted:

Planet Labs' workaround was to hitchhike on big launches and spam LEO with cellphones that have zoom lenses and solar panels

I know a planet labs satellite engineer ; should see wtf is up lol

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Elon musk blew up zuckerberg's satellite, that makes him a cool guy

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Elon Musk is a human being

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
yo, satellite nerds, is there any plan in the works to get rid of all the junk in orbit? before it becomes too hazardous for shuttles and other satellites

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

what does your heart tell you?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Jonny 290 posted:

i think only like 60% of satellites actually manage to go to a parking orbit tough

Suspicious posted:

yo, satellite nerds, is there any plan in the works to get rid of all the junk in orbit? before it becomes too hazardous for shuttles and other satellites

ESA have started to work on it properly but it's going to be a major risk for a good long while

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Suspicious posted:

I'm not really a satellite nerd, but I've heard that the plan is to just find ways to track the space junk and just route things around it.

It makes me lol when internet nerds talk about space travel and the "space economy" being around the corner when stuff as simple as picking up trash in outer space is un-economical and how to do it is a major technical problem.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Sep 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Suspicious posted:

not really. but it's also nowhere near as big of a deal as some people make out. simulations say (section 3) that the number of debris increases p much linearly w the number of launches. it'll gradually become more and more of an issue, but there's no gravity-esque cascade aka kessler syndrome

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 4, 2016

• Locked thread