Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
The summer is over. Your team is poo poo. Your team will still make the playoffs in the Orange Slice bracket. But it's the foot. And it's stepping.

Where are we at this point in the year? Let's go by team for fun.

EAST:

1. Toronto FC: Giovinco is better than the entire continent.

2. New York City: Score a bunch and pray it's enough. Frank Lampard is better than everyone not named Giovinco.

3. New Jersey: Bradley Wright-Phillips scores for fun. They've still lost a step from their last few years, but there's no team more fun to watch.

4. Philadelphia: transforming back into a pumpkin in real time. Will still make the playoffs.

5. Montreal: Slowly shrinking into a corn cob, only French and with worse traffic than Nebraska. Might still wake up and destroy us all.

6. DC United: they're slightly more watchable dreck, and it's all thanks to Patrick Mullins.

-------

7. Orlando: Kreis has work to do. I expect them to be better next season.

8. New England: Jermaine Jones is the only difference between the Revs being good and being trash. You'll note his absence, and their subsequent deflation thereafter.

9. Columbus: Behold the unmaking of what could've been a defending champion. gently caress off, Columbus.

10. Chicago: pick a random Emily Dickinson poem and sing it to the tune of Gilligan's Island.

WEST:

1. Dallas: Did you know Dallas was five points clear of the league? Me neither.

2. Salt Lake: Did you know RSL are back from the dead and it's an Eastern European dude's fault? I sorta did but not to this degree.

3. Colorado: if you read this board, you know Colorado started the year on fire. They've slowly deflated since then but they'll be fine.

4. LA Galaxy: Picture Julian Glover in the third Indiana Jones movie. Steven Gerrard is a known loser, famous choke artist, and his presence has infected this once mighty team. They'll be princes, but the Gerrard Disease will never let them be kings. Also gently caress off de Jong.

5. Kansas City: Everyone is talking about their disappointing year, but there's worse fates than Good Team In The West.

6. Portland: Maybe win a game outside of Portland you losers.

---------

7. San Jose: Overachieving, even in this position.

8. Seattle: It's important to fail sometimes, Sounders fans. It'll teach you to appreciate what you had. And one day, when you're in year five of a terrible coach, you'll realize that all those years you yelled SIGI OUT were, in fact, the good old days. And then you'll be adults. The minivan awaits you, friends.

9. Vancouver: Traded for Fabian Espindola in an attempt to get a goal scorer. Not only is he not one of those anymore, he refused to move to Canada and ended up in Mexico. All of Cascadia is sludge.

10. Houston: you know what else is bright orange and unwatchable? A mushroom cloud. Blow this team up.

Anyhow DC is leading NYC on a great finish from Lloyd Sam, Acosta is gonna be out for the September 11th Memorial Match, and soccer is on in September.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
And I might be by myself in here (change the title to this), but it's really remarkable how the philosophy on the field has changed since Sam and Mullins arrived. Since we have no tactics, we take the shape of our players. The first half was all Boswell and Birnbaum and Marcelo dictating defense first while the offense sputtered. Suddenly, now passes are connecting and flowing forward, as offensive minded people like Acosta, Sam and Mullins are making things happen.

Luke Mishu, however, has no ideas, because he's trash. I'm not even sure he's actually a person. If I met him I'd poke him to see if he fell into pixels like in the Lawnmower Man.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Also trash: Jalen Robinson. Very nice, good lanky dude, but no football intelligence.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
If Luke Mishu ever sees the light of day in MLS again, it'll be for an expansion team that got him for a can of magic beans. That may be the worst back pass I've ever seen.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
And suddenly, in the last five minutes, it's 2-2 and the whole world has come unglued.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

And suddenly, in the last five minutes, it's 2-2 and the whole world has come unglued.

It's back to normal again

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Luke Mishu isn't good against normal MLS create a players. Against Frank Lampard and David Villa, he may as well be me.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
That game owned.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
The last fifteen minutes of that game owned. The only thing missing was that last-gasp header by Hamid going in.

(also I hope Luke Mishu is like 19 because otherwise that performance was a disaster and he should be fired into the sun.)

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

i love my bad, gay team

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
National broadcasts not on MLS Live:

September 9
Sporting Kansas City vs. Houston (UniMás)

:911:
Red Bull New York vs. D.C. United (ESPN)
Los Angeles vs. Orlando City (FS1)

September 16
Chicago vs. D.C. United (UniMás)

September 18 (Note: you will only get one game, depending on your NFL game. Both games will stream on Fox Sports Go.)
Sporting Kansas City vs. Los Angeles (Fox)
Toronto vs. Red Bull New York (Fox)

September 23
New York City vs. Chicago (UniMás)

September 25
Los Angeles vs. Seattle (ESPN)
Columbus vs. New England (FS1)

September 30
Houston vs. New York City (UniMás)

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
MLS Live hasn't been blacking out national broadcasts on my Apple TV. It's been great and I'm gonna be really mad when they eventually fix it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Oh, hey, yeah, forgot it was September.

Anyway all my team's strikers are injured or suck or are teenagers and our season probably ends tonight so yay.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Grella out for the big 9/11 game, which about makes our loss of Acosta for the same accumulation a fairly even trade.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
Time to continue my bitching in this thread.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Hairston for LeToux? Works for me. LeToux hasn't done much.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Union are bad. Water is wet. Kill me.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Ball right through the box from Cronin, rolls right past Doyle and Badji and nothing comes of it. Still 2-0 at 69'.

:bang:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Chicago player shanks the ball into his own hand which was funny and then the Union almost OG again, hooray.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

20 minutes later the Rapids have done gently caress-all and are likely going to lose 2-0. Supporters shield? Gone.

Edit - yup lost 2-0. Smh.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 4, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
we won

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Portland v Dallas first half has featured some ugly rear end soccer.

Except Ulloa.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Chicago are winning and not doing the sit back like idiots thing. It's weird and good.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Chicago's offense is...good?

And Sean Johnson is still loving great. :allears:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Sigh. Union unioning

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Should be 3-0.

I like it when Chicago doesn't make me wanna break poo poo in my house.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

it is 3-0

:woop:

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
It is. I like this Alvarez kid.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Paddyb posted:

It is. I like this Alvarez kid.

He's better than Nick LaBrocca at least.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Hello Towel posted:

He's better than Nick LaBrocca at least.

As someone who witnessed plenty of Nick LaBrocca, who isnt?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
FC Dallas is winning games and I like that.

That's my hot take, thanks for taking my call.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

TheBoyBlunder posted:

As someone who witnessed plenty of Nick LaBrocca, who isnt?

Nery Castillo

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

You did!

I would say you shouldn't have, but no team that starts Erik Hurtado as a lone striker deserves to win anything regardless of how well they otherwise play that night. There are some crimes that the soccer gods cannot forgive.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
We were due a road win after all the terrible terrible luck we've had this year. I was going to complain about us losing Kljestan and Lawrence but then I saw Vancouver lost like 6 players for the break.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Vancouver has completely fallen off this year. They've still got an incredible GK in Ousted, but they've got an attack-ish-minded setup when they can't attack. Like, even if you turtled into Olsenaccio, your ceiling is just sneaking into the playoffs.

I still feel bad about that Espindola trade. Whitecaps fan I met when they came to town was all Thanks For The Goalscorer! and I had to tell him the horrible news. And THEN he refused to go to Canada.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Vancouver has completely fallen off this year. They've still got an incredible GK in Ousted, but they've got an attack-ish-minded setup when they can't attack. Like, even if you turtled into Olsenaccio, your ceiling is just sneaking into the playoffs.

I still feel bad about that Espindola trade. Whitecaps fan I met when they came to town was all Thanks For The Goalscorer! and I had to tell him the horrible news. And THEN he refused to go to Canada.

If I were asked to name all the teams in MLS in 2 minutes, I bet Vancouver would be the one I miss. They're just totally off my radar.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

What the hell has happened to Colorado since like July? Our midfield isn't clicking anymore and shots just aren't' going through.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

LionYeti posted:

What the hell has happened to Colorado since like July? Our midfield isn't clicking anymore and shots just aren't' going through.

Jermaine Jones is an MLS talisman

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Orlando can get back into the playoffs tonight if they figure out how to get their second road win of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Well, they have Cyle Larin back for the next couple of seasons, so that can't hurt.

Hey, remember when Brek Shea was supposed to be the next big American player?

• Locked thread