Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Static Equilibrium posted:

It kills Net Ready Eyes for no influence. Yog is going to win worlds and then immediately become unplayable.

4tman 4lyfe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

All you need to do is fire an ABT turn 3 for two beefy ice, ez

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

cant get the labeouf just do it video layered over the ABT art at work :(

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

so runner side: anarch with a side of shaper and some crims
corp side: mostly yellow and purple

hmmmmm

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Apparently Dan D'Argenio is on CI7 for Worlds

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The Deleter posted:

hosed up if true. Bets on him taking DLR Val?

I think he's on Whizz, probably regass breakers?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Dan's been on CI for a while, although rereading it I don't know if he's on Boom or 7 point combo.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

I am compensating for not drinking by playing Exile as my runner, does that count?

I think that requires you to be drunk to get through it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

jeeves posted:

Quoting a post from the first page, but just where on this Jopp's Wordpress site are these teaching decks for Core++? That site really isn't indexed well.

https://runthenet.wordpress.com/2016/08/23/recommended-teachinglearning-decks/

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hahaha holy poo poo

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Weyland look to be getting some actually decent poo poo there. Success doesn't look like it works with AD at all, never mind that it's rotating. Mostly glad to see them actually get good operations econ for a change

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

They seem to be playing with ice that benefits the Corp, I like that Jinteki one that only hurts he runner if they break it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Just wanna say that Anatomy of Anarchy is the precursor to modern DLR, L4J is a better term (although whizz doesn't use either 4tman or Career Fair these days)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Isnt random milling basically useless?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Great report, good games, and it must be said I have a strange respect for Chris Hinkes's everlasting commitment to net damage murder

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Zephro posted:

Hillary is a bioroid? It all makes sense now

No she just secretly trying to turn Chelsea into one. Or Bill is more like Thomas Iguess

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ive always found it funny apex is a Weyland hard counter

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hannibal Rex posted:

Advance Ice Wall 11 times :colbert:
...on both your scoring remote and a central

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Apex just has so many different problems going on that it's hard to say exactly what would fix him, Reaver does look good but it exacerbates his memory problem bad

e: v yeah

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 15, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Does anyone have a link to spoilers for just the cards, not the mechanics?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I sort by faction->card type-> set number

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I think the scoop was that all the cards are core/genesis/spin so longtime players won't need it. Don't know if that's true though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

jeeves posted:

You know what I wish more people would think up? Good Duel Decks.

This is what got me thinking of them: the Mean Streams of New Angeles Duel Decks (Runner / Corp). These decks look pretty balanced against each other, and use a lot of cards that are normally worthless in regular play but shine in this specific circumstance.

As someone who usually has to build both decks to try to get my friends to play at all, I find these pretty cool. And yeah, I know about the Worlds Decks, but those don't have the neat subpar cards that the above deck ideas have and make work well.

My local scene died so I basically keep these six decks built for casual play, they're really good hand have decent matchups with each other

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

She's literally in the card art. It's absolutely supposed to be a thing, and it shits all over any glacier strategy. Loses hard to anything with a bit of speed behind the idea of scoring out, though.

I can't decide whether I should make fun of the chess suite or bitch about Caprice getting murdered by Rumor Mill

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Red Herrings doesn't have psi games and is therefore Bad.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

lol@ thinking things will get more balanced

I always thought separating icebreaker types by faction was silly and they should have more themed sets all in one faction like fixed breakers/central breakers/cloud breakers/etc

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

sonatinas posted:

Or use datasucker plus parasite to kill it

Assert dominance over your family

The Lord of Hats posted:

Account Siphon them into the ground. Then Vamp them. That 8 cost to rez doesn't look so doable now, does it?

Do this

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hahahaha that's hilariously loving broken

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Static Equilibrium posted:

Just FYI to everyone that jinteki.net got hacked or whatever so all the data is gone forever and you need to register a new account. It looks like they did The Right Thing w/r/t stored user data and such but obviously still change your passwords if you used your j.net password elsewhere.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Core set is loaded with a bunch of poo poo cards and is really inconsistent, and the best runner is Gabe with Parasites.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

robotsinmyhead posted:

I guess at this point I make another pass at the rulebook, cause it feels like I'm missing something that makes the Runner not feel like he's constantly feeling desperate for a decent move. Noise is a good example because his entire gimmick can be negated with one decent ICE. Once he finds an answer to that ICE, the Corp can just throw another one on it and start the cycle over. It doesn't feel fun at all.

Anarchs are kinda iffy without the draw power and econ they got later on but core set they have Parasite/Datasucker to melt troublesome ice, Yog and other cheap breakers to trivialize low-strength, and Medium plus Noise's ability to pressure two centrals plus the scoring remote. That's assuming they don't just flat-out mill the Corp to death. In practice this is a bit harder because again, historically Anarchs fumbled along with a ton of huge power cards and not a lot of good basics, until they got the basics and became the flatout best faction

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lichtenstein posted:

A super-duper 5 ICE Archive is actually the best thing you can hope for - you don't really need to run that server all that often, so it's a lot of resources and tempo committed to a server you don't really give a flying gently caress about because you can just bide your time for a single 15+ cards access in the late game.

Also between Parasite/Deja Vu and Yog, spare ice is at a premium

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Cubes are good and you can do it online. I havent played constructed in months and I'd be up for a goon one but way too lazy to organize

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hunter killer or w/e is really the Weyland card I've wanted to see for a while. My only real issue with the ID is it fucks MaxX pretty badly, other than that it looks good- I haven't been a huge fan of remove from game effects but tying it to an ID seems an appropriate power level. I might pick this up for campaign play having not played constructed or bought packs in months, and if they rein in assetspam a little I might get back into the actual game

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Jesminder came out two cycles later than Argus and also doesn't get played

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Boardgame thread is a good place to start looking, but PL is pretty highly regarded. You can play with the base game on a new board but it gets pretty heavily modified as time goes on

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I suspect damage counts and overdraw doesn't, events probably will

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I played my first games with other regular players today. I don't really understand the overall flow or strategy of the game too well, but won a game as Runner despite that. I only have the Genesis expansions and C&C plus a couple core sets, and my deck designed to play Monolith as soon as possible seemed to work ok. Also (as Corp) I encountered Sifr for the first time. Yikes, that thing was comboing with something to easily trash all my ice.

Is this a bad time to get into Netrunner, focusing on friendly games? I don't have a whole lot of interest in the tournament scene but that might change with time.

I haven't played constructed in months but that's a cool list of good decks to learn with that are all more or less balanced against each other. No guarantees about how they'll perform in the wild- Whizz, Andy, and maybe Spark/HB should be decent but GRNDL isn't great against the whole meta

also dont play monolith

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Thanks, I'll check them out when NetrunnerDB is working. I have a feeling playing Monolith is kind of like playing huge impractical green creatures in MtG, but I was just giving a deck a shot.

Here's a bunch of questions while I'm at it:

e: the last might be due to the fact I played HB with a lot of big ice; cheaper stuff might be easier to play with.

- Conceptually I like NBN a lot but they seem to not get much play. Is it dumb to use them anyway for friendly matches?
NBN is/was the best corp in the game, they used to have insane fast-advance (scoring agendas from hand) and still have pretty good FA with lots of assets. They can't do full-fledged glacier as well as others but they can get set up and scoring terrifyingly fast and have lots of fun ways to annoy the runner

- How do you handle having multiple Corp or Runner decks? For shared cards the best thing I can think of is just to have them ready to switch between decks.
I either do that or proxy. (I also bought a collection that had doubles of a lot of cards)

- Do Runners even bother with icebreakers? It seemed like most of the time my icebreakers were not doing much for me on board. Isn't it way more powerful to use various tricks to get around ice or trash it?
Yes and ice trashing/bypassing/etc is always good but 90% of runners will need a backup solution for ice at some point

- Is it just me, or does your economy demand way more attention in Netrunner than in Magic? It seems like not worrying about income can be devastating in this game, especially because a lot of helpers like Sure Gamble cost money themselves.
I haven't really played Magic but Netrunner has its own sense of econ tempo that takes some getting used to- the 'have to have money to make money' adage is pretty big.

- What, uh, do I do as Corp? It seems like I can never protect all my servers adequately or contain the damage from successful runs. If I don't have a trap or bluffing sort of deck, how (in general) can I keep assets, score agendas, and defend my poo poo?
To modify Stanley Baldwin, the Runner will always get through. Once they get set up and an econ engine running most runners can get through corp servers. The trick is going fast/disrupting them to keep them from developing to that state, and using alternate methods to protect your stuff such as defensive upgrades (albeit those are garbage rn but thats a different story), fast advance, and so on. For example in the listed decks above, Weyland goes lightning-quick to score out before the runner is set up (with a kill threat to slow down their setup), Haas uses Ash to protect their agendas in conjunction with beefy taxing ice, NBN uses cheapo ice and econ disruption to score off SanSan City Grid. (Also big ice tends to be super uneconomical, 8-9c is generally limits of practicality in normal decks)

Jinteki.net is a great resource for getting online games in, shoot me a PM if you want to get some learning games in

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

It's a strictly inferior Gordian with a pretty decent ability. It prob wouldn't set the world on fire y itself butcrims need a decoder that's not garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Shaper doesn't really have other good fracters, but if you drop Legworks you can pick up Corroder. D&D is real good because Global Food Initiative is one of the best 5/3s in the game

• Locked thread