Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
What's a good liveblog for this? The Verge is loving awful, Nilay is a moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://www.amazon.com/b/?ie=UTF8&node=15196835011

Looks like dual lenses on the 7+ is confirmed.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

silentq15 posted:

Is the Apple Watch the worst product Apple has ever made? It seriously is utter trash.

Its pretty good so, no.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

This is actually cool and good and I'm getting the +

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Adapter included so stop complaining you nerds.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

J33uk posted:

The loving hubris. I'm fine with the port going but gently caress courage

Yeah, this i'll agree with but :lol: at all the salt in here over a goddamn port when they include lightning earpods and an adapter.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I'm more hype to see other headsets that use W1, maybe???

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Hi Felica

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Will I get a saddle brown case? This is the only question I have left.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

well keynote over, gently caress alla youse macbook and mac pro owners, you got owned

You really expected macbook stuff today?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

This is the best music act they've ever had at an event IMO.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Any word on the W1 chip making it onto other companies' headsets? Or is this exclusive to Beats/Apple?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I really don't know what people expect from a phone nowadays to make it REVOLUTIONARY. Comparing a 7th gen phone to its original paradigm shifting first iteration is pretty silly at this point.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Pryor on Fire posted:

Wait wait wait, can you seriously not charge the phone while listening over lightning? That's some bullshit rumor right not actually how it works?

Magic Underwear posted:

That's correct.

At this moment it's correct, but im sure someone will make a splitter that will let you do both.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Magic Underwear posted:

How about just not making the new version noticeably worse in order to push $160 ear buds that last (optimistically) 5 hours? I would never have any reason to be mad if not for the senseless regressions that give no benefit in return.

:lol:

the iPhone 7 is literally better than the 6S so I'm sorry you are upset about having to use the included adapter and getting VERY MAD about it on the internet.

Maybe android is for you?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

You can tape the adapter you your favorite set of headphones and never worry about losing it but ok.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Um, Amazon Prime video actually owns.

Spotifys app is complete and utter trash.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

prom candy posted:

a lot of people were saying Macs might come in october. ideally they'll only have one port and it'll be USB-C

hell yeah, my skylake MB owns.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Dubstep Jesus posted:

this is already true for the MacBook retina and would be loving stupid for the pros

You don't need those ports 99% of the time. Do it apple, eliminate all the ports.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

prom candy posted:

I plug 5 separate things into my MBP when I get to work every morning (power, network, monitor, 3.5mm, USB keyboard). I'm living in the past I guess.

You can still do that with1 USB port except you only have to plug in one wire.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/BenBajarin/status/773626401039671296

Yeah, I'm not touching the piano black.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

io_burn posted:

I got a Retina MacBook and was totally ready for the whole one USB-C port to be a total pain in the rear end. It's actually quite the opposite, the battery lasts so long I basically just charge it at night or when I'm not using it, and when I actually do need to use any other ports I just plug in this dongle thing. I keep all my other junk just always plugged in to the dongle so I can effectively "dock" my MacBook with one wire. What I initially thought was going to be a massive hassle I actually ended up liking quite a bit. I never would have expected that.

Yep! It loving owns and it's so small and light too.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

BGrifter posted:

The camera three iterations ago was more than I could ever need from a phone. I don't get this weird obsession with imperceptible camera improvements every generation. If I wanted a better camera than my phone (I don't) I'd go out and buy a real camera. It's been more than enough for dumb vacation selfies and pictures of food for years.

io_burn posted:

It's seriously like some kind of internment camp filled with people who somehow are totally unaware that the jail doesn't even have any doors and they can leave whenever they want.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Magic Underwear posted:

I'm glad the free market is already giving us $40 solutions to problems Apple intentionally created for us. God bless Apple, God bless America.

I'm glad that you're glad.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

prom candy posted:

I don't think it's really fair to paint everyone who's annoyed by this change as having some kind of childish meltdown. I'm a frequent user of the 3.5mm jack, I use the same pair of headphones every day with my phone and my laptop (using a 3.5mm extender no less) so it's not just a case of attaching the dongle once and leaving it there. Of course I don't have to buy this phone, and I'm not going to, but I'm going to need a new phone eventually. Having to choose between sticking with an ecosystem that I'm mostly pretty happy with and that I have a lot invested in vs. being able to seamlessly use my phone for one of its primary uses is annoying. It's even more annoying because I think this move was motivated by the opportunity to sell more Beats headphones, AirPods, and MFi licenses.

I'm not melting down, but this is a frustrating change that seems to benefit Apple and no one else.

No, you're melting down.

You can still use your headphones with the adapter which really isn't that big of an inconvenience.

Or wait for the 7S and see if the complaining gets it back (lol no).

You do not need MFi, or Beats headphones to use Bluetooth headsets with the phone. The W1 tech is neat on the AirBuds but it's not hard to pair BT headphones.

It's not a big deal at all but people like to complain.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

9 ran faster than 8 on my 5s :shrug:

10 is fast as poo poo on my 6 and I really love Maps and the widgets. A+ would update again.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Turn off battery percentage, plug in your headphones, and use your phone. Like when Kramer wanted to see how far he could go when the tank showed E.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

prom candy posted:

I really fail to see how disliking a change that affects me negatively and has no positive tradeoff is "melting down" but ok. I'm not holding my breath that the 3.5mm is coming back with the 7S but I am hoping that its absence allows them to actually do something cool that they couldn't otherwise do (like making it waterproof to 25 metres or something), and that the Bluetooth headphone market looks better in a year than it looks right now.
I agree on this point. This will hopefully push that part forward in both battery life, price, and quality.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

People using their phone as GPS and plugged into car aux input is probably a common scenerio

Yep. I'm waiting on a dongle and ill just leave it hooked up in the car. That's the only time I have it plugged into both.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

io_burn posted:

There's a ton of options for that. There's all kinds of different car chargers now which also act as a Bluetooth receiver that you then plug your AUX input directly into. Some as cheap as $20. This tech is not new, or particularly advanced.

I haven't been able to find one with 2 USB ports. But yes, I'll keep an eye out.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Oh ffs, it's the second option there. Thanks!

Magic Underwear posted:

Wow, epic meltdown fail dude. Suggesting that anybody will be affected in any way, ever, is childish and you should feel bad.

Your constant childish sarcastic whining is an epic meltdown fail IMO.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

You could also just go with one of the USB-powered ones and just grab a good 2-port USB charger on your own.

Yeah, I'll poke around. The setup in the car is really loving dumb. The aux port is between the seats and the cigarette lighter is underneath the radio. There's no USB or cigarette lighter in the area where the AUX port is. I can always run a long wire so it's not a huge deal but it irks me.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Hey Lmao if it makes you feel better my car has an aux port and 12v power plug inside the console between the seats, ... but no space for a cord to come out if you slide the top closed. :thumbsup:

Yikes, that kinda does make me feel better, thanks Fez!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

LODGE NORTH posted:

This is true. Trucks go out hella early.

Anyone with an October ship date get any good news?

Still the same for me. I really don't mind. My 6 is fine and iOS10 is nice and fast.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Layin' in the cut to October and not mad over here. Who's with me?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I don't have it on my 6 but I use 3D Touch on watch OS to clear notifications so I'm p hype to be able to do this on the phone.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

10/4-10/10 still processing. Meh.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

LODGE NORTH posted:

Finally someone who can relate to my pain.

For the record, I'm in no pain as my 6 on iOS10 is perfectly adequate.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Everything's going to be ok. Maybe go volunteer at a womens shelter or soup kitchen and put things in perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

I think I may cancel my jet black 7 and get a black 7+ and join the hugephone revolution. But I worry I may regret not having jet black.

Jet Black is bad.

• Locked thread