Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Honestly, no manufacturer has really advanced the envelope in several generations. Outside of faster processor and more ram, how different is the S7 series vs the S5 series? Curved screens? A fingerprint sensor? Samsung Pay?

Well....yay. I know I desperately needed Samsung/Google/Apple Pays on a screen that curves.

I mean, think about it: What feature in a new phone (any new phone) would you actually drop your current phone to the ground and run out and buy the second it was available? I can't really think of anything. I can think of improvements that I might get the next time I'm due for an upgrade - but nothing really "revolutionary".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

gret posted:

Probably just a significant improvement in battery life? Maybe if something like Microsoft's Continuum where I could hook up a monitor, keyboard, and mouse to the phone and have it run MacOS?
For me, the battery life thing is a nice upgrade, but I wouldn't rush out and get a 7 for it.

And using it as a computer? You can do that with Windows 10 and you've been able to do that with Android for drat near five years. No one does it because it's terrible.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I would really love wireless charging built in. I think maybe upgrading to a newer stronger glass for the front wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I'm still on a 6 and am excited to just be upgrading at this point.

I would definitely love to have Qi charging built in, though I wouldn't call that revolutionary. Adoption on Qi-enabled smart phones on the Android side is lackluster at best.

But in the same vein, I'd consider remote wireless charging "revolutionary". I'd probably poo poo a brick in my pants and while lined up outside an Apple store if they added that in. :v:

Edit: Sorry, adoption of Qi-enabled smart phones isn't lackluster, but actual sales of Qi-related power accessories like charging stations and mats and such is what's lackluster.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

emdash posted:

is there a large contingent of people--unknown to me--who care about home automation, or do they emphasize it more because the small number of target customers spend a shitload of money on it?

Niche, but expensive and huge margins.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

I'd love to have it, but it never made sense to spend the money to install it.

Each lightbulb is like $50.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

computer parts posted:

Why do you think they delayed the MacBooks?

To make everyone who like Macs/OSX so pent up with frustration that when we finally get the chance to buy them, we literally explode - leaving nothing but our wallets behind for the retail guys to vacuum up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

io_burn posted:

At some point, and we're likely already there, smartphone sales are going to hit a point like iPad sales where everyone who wants one already has one that's working fine for them that they don't need to urgently replace. It seems real weird to parse Apple hitting that point, where they're commanding an ecosystem filled with over one billion devices, as "Apple is doomed," but, ya'know... It's the internet and everyone loves their asinine anti-Apple hot takes.

You have to realize that consumer products spaces are filled with analysts trying to make it big by predicting the right change at the right time. All of those articles usually come from an analyst somewhere that went "Oh, yeah. By July Apple will be bankrupt and Tim will be eating over a hobo fire because of the missing audio jack." If he's right, he gets to move to another company for seven figures or charge a shitload more for the particular fund he manages. The rest of the articles are "Me too!" pieces that are journalists jockeying for position.

This is also why you see retarded articles about "X Killer"s. "Is Super Mario Run a Halo killer? Bob Dopington from JP Morgan Chase says, in his expert financial market analysts opinion, that it will feast on Halo's corpse like stench clings to a dead yak."

Weedle posted:

e: what this guy said ^^^

It seems like a lot of people have come to expect their socks blown off every two years by iPhone innovation, but that's unsustainable. The iPhone is already a near-perfect device and eventually people are just going to have to accept that there isn't a whole lot else to be improved about it barring a major technological breakthrough like a battery that lasts a week or something.

I want my socks blown off by something. First Intel and now Apple. No, don't tell me about bullshit like "transistors" or "car-sized batteries", that's all just to confuse idiots who don't know that that's a pack of lies. I just want Apple to give me a phone that I can adhere to my skin like a piece of tape that not only softens my skin, but has perfect call and data reception everywhere and runs for years without a recharge. :colbert:

• Locked thread