Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If those rumours are true they're really not giving 6 and 6S users a big reason to upgrade. "Pretty much the same phone but you need new headphones" isn't a great sales pitch. I guess it's ultimately a good thing that a two year old phone doesn't feel like must-replace device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Michael Scott posted:

Sucks that the current rumor is no wireless headphones in the box. Instead the rumor says it will be a wired lightning pair.

That seems nuts to me. Why draw attention to the worst part about this change (headphones that only work on one device)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
iWork just got feature parity with google docs, sick.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
i said i would be okay if they dropped the headphone jack as long as they gave us something good in return and HERE IT IS FOLKS

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
pokemon go engagement has been down lately but we think it's really going to pick up as we head into winter.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

CottonWolf posted:

If this is a prelim to a completely water resistant iPhone, that's actually pretty big

Honestly I can live with the headphone jack being removed if the phone is waterproof to 50m. Not worth it for IPX7 though.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
viewranger website is down... whoops

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
lol there's no headphone jack

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My current phone has a lightning jack AND a 3.5mm jack, can you believe that

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Look at this sick-rear end vertical integration

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

cowofwar posted:

Well I'll be keeping my 6 for another year.

same.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
more like sia later apple while i go see if android phones are any good

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Binary Badger posted:

Apple Debut Of New iPhone Ruined By Confusing Anime Dancers New iPhone

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

nerdrum posted:

Also, the glaringly intentional and obvious bid to get Beats users on some kind of upgrade cycle with the 3.5mm drop is so transparent and bad from a consumer loyalty stand point its kind of outrageous.

By transparent and bad do you mean courageous?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I just realized that the headphones that come with your new iphone are incompatible with your apple computer. What the hell are they thinking.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
a lot of people were saying Macs might come in october. ideally they'll only have one port and it'll be USB-C

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I plug 5 separate things into my MBP when I get to work every morning (power, network, monitor, 3.5mm, USB keyboard). I'm living in the past I guess.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

fourwood posted:

No, it's just for every one of you there are 100 college kids who plug in nothing but power and a flash drive every once in a while.

I think I liked it better when I was young and companies cared about me. I feel like I'm slowly turning into the target demographic for windows phone belt clips.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

smoobles posted:

What the gently caress's with Apple and making their devices thinner. Don't remove a main feature, idiots. I want to punch TIm Cook in his goddamn rear end.

I don't believe the new phone is any thinner.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

io_burn posted:

It's probably a pretty normal thing to not be able to relate to someone's complete and total meltdown over the lack of a headphone jack on a phone they don't have to buy suddenly becoming the most important thing in their life.

I don't think it's really fair to paint everyone who's annoyed by this change as having some kind of childish meltdown. I'm a frequent user of the 3.5mm jack, I use the same pair of headphones every day with my phone and my laptop (using a 3.5mm extender no less) so it's not just a case of attaching the dongle once and leaving it there. Of course I don't have to buy this phone, and I'm not going to, but I'm going to need a new phone eventually. Having to choose between sticking with an ecosystem that I'm mostly pretty happy with and that I have a lot invested in vs. being able to seamlessly use my phone for one of its primary uses is annoying. It's even more annoying because I think this move was motivated by the opportunity to sell more Beats headphones, AirPods, and MFi licenses.

I'm not melting down, but this is a frustrating change that seems to benefit Apple and no one else.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

LmaoTheKid posted:

No, you're melting down.

You can still use your headphones with the adapter which really isn't that big of an inconvenience.

Or wait for the 7S and see if the complaining gets it back (lol no).

You do not need MFi, or Beats headphones to use Bluetooth headsets with the phone. The W1 tech is neat on the AirBuds but it's not hard to pair BT headphones.

It's not a big deal at all but people like to complain.

I really fail to see how disliking a change that affects me negatively and has no positive tradeoff is "melting down" but ok. I'm not holding my breath that the 3.5mm is coming back with the 7S but I am hoping that its absence allows them to actually do something cool that they couldn't otherwise do (like making it waterproof to 25 metres or something), and that the Bluetooth headphone market looks better in a year than it looks right now.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've been using the BTC450 in my car for a couple years now and I like it, it plugs into your cigarette lighter (do newer cars still have these?) and adds a USB charger at the same time: https://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC450-Bluetooth-Hands-Free-Input/dp/B009NLTW60

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Is the total length of the cords really close to 48 inches?

Actually yeah there is a gently caress ton of cord for some reason, I just folded it up and cable tied it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I always have to manually start my music/podcast. It has a hardware play/stop button but my phone seems to forget what was last playing pretty often.

• Locked thread