Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
its one of the oldest and most respected books and according to most accounts it is the literal word of god. just for that fact alone, it is probably worth looking into. thanks for your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I disagree

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

bradzilla posted:

I disagree

its a free country (one of the tenets of this country based on the human rights of judeo chitstian values espoused in the bible)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Ya'll need church!

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
There are some pretty brutal moments and lots of sex so yeah its up there.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

shoophobo posted:

its basically about falling from grace and redemption so ya it can be pretty brutal sometime. truth and grace, so to speak

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's really just terrible and most of the things that happen in it are horrible and just examples of how people are generally fuckups and how God is generally so lovely at communicating what exactly he wants with all these lovely cryptographic messages that the prophets in the New Testament can't even come to some sort of common ground as to what that poo poo means.

ClamdestineBoyster fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 2, 2016

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Rick Perlstein's book on the Dallas Cowboys is easily the best book of all time. Sorry about your inaccurate opinion OP

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Somebody gonna get turned into a pillar of salt.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
For a second I read this thread as the bible is the best cookbook of all time.

that would be a better thread

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
p good review on GoodReads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1923820.Holy_Bible

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

It's really just terrible and most of the things that happen in it are horrible and just examples of how people are generally fuckups and how God is generally lovely at communicating what exactly he wants with all these lovely cryptographic messages that the prophets in the New Testament can't even come to some sort of common ground as to what that poo poo means.

ya I guess not everyone can understand it and many will be asked few will be chosen

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
that one's been editied by lebron james

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
"Blessed is the one who grabs your little children and smashes them against a rock." Psalm 137:9

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Decebal posted:

"Blessed is the one who grabs your little children and smashes them against a rock." Psalm 137:9

so loving true

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
It's mostly plagiarized mythology and very skewed ancient history and the book of prophets and revelations were written by untreated schizophrenics.
It's not the word of god, its the words of a bunch of deranged assholes that thought god talked to them.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
"She lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose semen was like that of horses." Ezekiel 23:20

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's really just about a piece of poo poo computer a bunch of retards called God.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Millions of Crows posted:

It's mostly plagiarized mythology and very skewed ancient history and the book of prophets and revelations were written by untreated schizophrenics.
It's not the word of god, its the words of a bunch of deranged assholes that thought god talked to them.

well, that's just like your opinion, man

however uninformed and deeply devoid of soul and spirit

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead

shoophobo posted:

Every conversation about the bible should focus on Lot and his daughters drunken incestuous gently caress fest.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
and empty and fruitles life a dark chasm of hollowness

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Millions of Crows posted:

Every conversation about the bible should focus on Lot and his daughters drunken incestuous gently caress fest.

I find it to be more about redemption and hope after such horrible shortcomings

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

it's a series of books jackass.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
we have all fallen short of the glory of god

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
"All the living beings that I had I loaded on it, I had all my kith and kin go up into the boat, all the beasts and animals of the field…" Genesis 6:20 .. wait aaa I mean Epic of Gilgamesh, Tablet XI

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Decebal posted:

"All the living beings that I had I loaded on it, I had all my kith and kin go up into the boat, all the beasts and animals of the field…" Genesis 6:20 .. wait aaa I mean Epic of Gilgamesh, Tablet XI

so wise. its almost like we all share history until the great flood that is recorded in alost every poeice of existing recording history

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I fisnd the redemption to be more of the true gift of the books, specifically the gospels written in the last 2000 years

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

oh you mean the oral history of a tribe that lived in and was enslaved by babylon... has a similar story to them....?! crazy poo poo. i love this stuff it makes me feel so superior about being dead inside

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Angels are everywhere op.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
though even the flood is a story of gods redemption

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Bad Santa was the best story of redemption.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

dad gay. so what posted:

though even the flood is a story of gods redemption

I'm from Buenos Aires and I saw kill 'em all!

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dreddout posted:

I'm from Buenos Aires and I saw kill 'em all!

that's probably the best metallica album

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
some good passages are

"Looks like we got us a sow here, instead of a boar." Ezekial 7:18
"Dropping loads. UNGH. Eat it up. Eat it up, you whore." Manning 23:16
"I feel the need. The need for speed." Mitchell 40:11
"Darmok and Jalad at Tenagra." Dathon 02:01

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Amen

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's actually kinda boring schlock with some cool ultraviolence mixed in every once in a while to keep you from falling asleep

namaste

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

i prefer dante's inferno because he makes hell sound hella awesome

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

it's actually kinda boring schlock with some cool ultraviolence mixed in every once in a while to keep you from falling asleep

namaste

darkness in your soul. an empty spirit

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
it's the literal word of a bunch of guys who put a bunch of old stories in a book

That Robot fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

The bible says homosex is wrong and yet you constantly advocate for homosex, please explain op

• Locked thread