Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should we use sex offenders to colonize mars
This poll is closed.
hell yeah 35 19.89%
no, they will lower the property value of nearby phobos 62 35.23%
goku 79 44.89%
Total: 121 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

inspired by sex offender sympathizers on these very forums, i did a quick search to see if having someone on the sex offender registry is cheaper than throwing them in the fuckin slammer

i quickly realized i didn't give a hot poo poo about the topic because i found something way cooler

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_Tuttle_Causeway_sex_offender_colony

basically a bunch of bad touchers were effectively banished to a shantytown because miami made it illegal to live within an unreasonably large distance from where children congregated.

possibly my favorite part of this nambla nimby:

quote:

Throughout 2013 and 2014, evidence began to reach the news that there is still a problem of homelessness amongst Miami-Dade sex offenders, despite the county's slight relaxation of the residency restrictions. Almost all of the Julia Tuttle Causeway residents got homes immediately after the camp was cleared, but many have gone back into homelessness since then.[11] A hotel that once housed many of the Causeway's former residents ended up kicking all sex offenders out of the hotel after one was arrested for re-offending.[citation needed] Ron Book later found housing for many sex offenders in a trailer park. However, Book himself kicked the sex offenders out of the trailer park after deciding that a nearby youth shelter counted under the definition of school.[12] Miami City Commissioner Mark Sarnoff has criticized the problem of homeless sex offenders in the county. However, Sarnoff himself has built miniature "pocket parks" in order to prevent sex offenders from being able to move into the Little River area of Miami, which Sarnoff represents.

apparently housing restrictions on the SO list will make it more likely they will reoffend, but i cant be bothered to care

thoughts?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shin00bie
Sep 11, 2011

But what if it's like Battlestar Galactica and they all get sent away but then come back later and destroy the Twelve Colonies?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
goddamn you are dumb, dude. my point was that if they are still considered criminals, they should be in jail. if they are considered to have served their time they should be free and clear. if sex crimes are so heinous that anyone convicted must be punished for the rest of their lives, then just kill them.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Shin00bie posted:

But what if it's like Battlestar Galactica and they all get sent away but then come back later and destroy the Twelve Colonies?

i never thought of that

the last time we did something like this we wound up with the sydney opera house so im fairly optimistic to hear what opera sounds like in space

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

goddamn you are dumb, dude. my point was that if they are still considered criminals, they should be in jail. if they are considered to have served their time they should be free and clear. if sex crimes are so heinous that anyone convicted must be punished for the rest of their lives, then just kill them.

so is that a no in the poll or what

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

if sex crimes are so heinous that anyone convicted must be punished for the rest of their lives, then just kill them.

I hear tell there's a different system where, instead of killing the sex offender, they kill the victim by throwing stones at them until they die or by throwing them off the tallest building. We could try looking into that?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ork of Fiction posted:

I hear tell there's a different system where, instead of killing the sex offender, they kill the victim by throwing stones at them until they die or by throwing them off the tallest building. We could try looking into that?

we only do that figuratively. the us is a civilized country, after all.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i am offended that my username was included as an option in this poll.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Now thats what I call a sticky situation

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
If I were a parent of a young child, I would like to know if my next door neighbor was a child rapist (a crime that has an extremely high chance of reoccurring as pedophiles are not able to be rehabilitated). I would also like to be able to find out if my child's piano teacher was ever in prison for raping a child. I am sorry if this makes a child rapist's life a bit uncomfortable.

And I am sorry if some goons seem to be confused by why a sex offender registry is important.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
If you never pay back your loans, you will be on a list titled "do not give this person a loan".

If you torture an animal to death, in many states you will be on a "do not adopt out an animal to this person".

In every state if you sexually abuse a child, you will be on a "watch your kids around this person" list.

This is not confusing.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

cuck cuck im gay posted:

If I were a parent of a young child, I would like to know if my next door neighbor was a child rapist (a crime that has an extremely high chance of reoccurring as pedophiles are not able to be rehabilitated). I would also like to be able to find out if my child's piano teacher was ever in prison for raping a child. I am sorry if this makes a child rapist's life a bit uncomfortable.

And I am sorry if some goons seem to be confused by why a sex offender registry is important.

If they're not able to be rehabilitated why are they out on the street, though? Shouldn't they be in an institution? I think that's a valid question.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
hopefully some goon gets probed or banned for defending diddlers itt

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

If they're not able to be rehabilitated why are they out on the street, though? Shouldn't they be in an institution? I think that's a valid question.

I don't know? Lock them up forever then. One or the other. Not neither

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

cuck cuck im gay posted:

I don't know? Lock them up forever then.

Yeah exactly. I think we're all in agreement then?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

AugmentedVision posted:

its gonna happen by page 4

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i think yeah there's some aspects of the sex offender registry laws that are fairly stupid and draconian

cuck cuck im gay posted:

the problem is you can be on that list for pissing in a playground at 1am while drunk and 18 :shrug:

Obv the list is good as a concept but that doesn't mean its execution is perfect.

Cnut the Great posted:

yeah probably; there's a valid concern for public safety. idk that it's really possible to rehabilitate them to the point that they won't find kids sexually attractive so it's a question of believing that they won't do it again or whatever cuz they understand it is bad.

cuck cuck im gay posted:

In every state if you sexually abuse a child, you will be on a "watch your kids around this person" list.

This is not confusing.

what is confusing is why there are people who are on the sex offender list and now have to live with a bunch of pedos because they pissed in public while drunk and 18

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 2, 2016

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

they built more parks so i guess there's a silver lining to every horrible sex crime

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

cuck cuck im gay posted:

If I were a parent of a young child, I would like to know if my next door neighbor was a child rapist (a crime that has an extremely high chance of reoccurring as pedophiles are not able to be rehabilitated).

Well if a pedo buys the house next to yours, as I see it you have two good options:

1) Sell your house. Of course you're gonna have to sell it for half the market value, cause you live next to a pedo. But that would still be enough to buy a trailer home or something. You won't be homeless, so that's fair right? Nobody's forcing you to move out of your home.

2) Murder the pedo in cold blood. Construct your defense around the idea that your child wasn't safe and you had to do it to protect them. You'll probably get jury sympathy and a light sentence, nobody likes a pedo. And when you get out, you can live wherever you want because hey there's no law against a murderer living near schools and parks!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
how come no one goes after pedos in Hollywood and/or Mormons/Catholics?

like why don't they just open an investigation and bring elijah wood and a bunch of others in and make them name names and go bust some heads wtf

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

how come no one goes after pedos in Hollywood and/or Mormons/Catholics?

like why don't they just open an investigation and bring elijah wood and a bunch of others in and make them name names and go bust some heads wtf

this question sounds better suited for qcs

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
fact of the matter is we have the penal system instead of a criminal rehabilitation system, and counterintuitively in the most liberal parts of America CA and NY the penal systems are notoriously heinous. Barbaric conditions and long waits inside the jails leads to:

long penal stays without charges being brought in some cases
deaths without charges being brought in some cases
innocents being illegally held in some cases

and that's just before you get into convicts of nonviolent crimes and the stats of greater recidivism alongside cash-for-kids america is fuuuuuucked

dookifex_maximus fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 2, 2016

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

AugmentedVision posted:

why do you think i made the thread

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
just be white and don't do crimes what's the problem lol

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
but really, the whole point of the registry is so politicians can brag about how tough on crime they are. since giving their opponents the chance to say that they are not in fact tough on crime is political suicide, the restrictions for people on the registry just get dumber and more exaggerated over time.

i guess i don't really care that "sex offenders" who aren't rapists get lumped in with the rapists, though. no one is ever going to go to bat for them because of their newfound identity as a sex offender. eh, sucks to be them i guess.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

i think yeah there's some aspects of the sex offender registry laws that are fairly stupid and draconian

the problem is you can be on that list for pissing in a playground at 1am while drunk and 18 :shrug:

Obv the list is good as a concept but that doesn't mean its execution is perfect.

yeah probably; there's a valid concern for public safety. idk that it's really possible to rehabilitate them to the point that they won't find kids sexually attractive so it's a question of believing that they won't do it again or whatever cuz they understand it is bad.

what is confusing is why there are people who are on the sex offender list and now have to live with a bunch of pedos because they pissed in public while drunk and 18

Maybe you shouldn't have pissed in a playground, chomo.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
yeah i ain't reading all nonsense that but thanks for the goku

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Teikanmi posted:

yeah i ain't reading all nonsense that but thanks for the goku

i understand why you wouldn't

you seem like a busy man, god bless.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Klyith posted:

Well if a pedo buys the house next to yours, as I see it you have two good options:

1) Sell your house. Of course you're gonna have to sell it for half the market value, cause you live next to a pedo. But that would still be enough to buy a trailer home or something. You won't be homeless, so that's fair right? Nobody's forcing you to move out of your home.

2) Murder the pedo in cold blood. Construct your defense around the idea that your child wasn't safe and you had to do it to protect them. You'll probably get jury sympathy and a light sentence, nobody likes a pedo. And when you get out, you can live wherever you want because hey there's no law against a murderer living near schools and parks!

Or 3) tell my kids never to go near them?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
your theoretical kids are vastly more likely to be molested by someone they know anyway.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

cuck cuck im gay posted:

Or 3) tell my kids never to go near them?

interact with my children?

wouldn't it be easier to just start firing chomos out of a catapult until one of them lands on mars

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

your theoretical kids are vastly more likely to be molested by someone they know anyway.

Not if that person was on the sex offender registry.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

cuck cuck im gay posted:

:smuggo: :master: :smuggo:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Parallax Scroll posted:

they built more parks so i guess there's a silver lining to every horrible sex crime

yeah dude a tree was planted because some dude was into offensive sex and was camping next to where it was planted

that tree is going to provide shelter for wild animals and oxygen to the earth, all thanks to that guy doing a bad sex

kinda makes u think

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

cuck cuck im gay posted:

ah, i see now. you are clueless. most cases of child molestation in the us are done by a family member or family friend. they are frequently not reported, much less prosecuted.

the scary stranger with a van and candy makes for great tv ratings, though!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The common molesters are people known, often family but also commonly friends of parents, coaches, etc.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

if you aint mollestin you aint tryin

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
im a sex pretender

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

aw man here's another sweet part of this story

quote:

Local clergyman Vincent Spann likened the camp to a Biblical leper colony and offered to house the sex offenders in a manner similar to that which he employed to treat those recovering from drug and alcohol addiction. He predicted it would cost more than a million dollars a year.

:catholic: this is terrible but i could help them out
:cop: so how much do you think housing 2000 people is gonna cost
:catholic: i dont know a million dollars maybe lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

ah, i see now. you are clueless. most cases of child molestation in the us are done by a family member or family friend. they are frequently not reported, much less prosecuted.

the scary stranger with a van and candy makes for great tv ratings, though!

If the family member or friend was a registered sex offender I would not let my kid near them, no. Actually, I probably would not want much to do with them!

• Locked thread