Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should we use sex offenders to colonize mars
This poll is closed.
hell yeah 35 19.89%
no, they will lower the property value of nearby phobos 62 35.23%
goku 79 44.89%
Total: 121 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
If I were a parent of a young child, I would like to know if my next door neighbor was a child rapist (a crime that has an extremely high chance of reoccurring as pedophiles are not able to be rehabilitated). I would also like to be able to find out if my child's piano teacher was ever in prison for raping a child. I am sorry if this makes a child rapist's life a bit uncomfortable.

And I am sorry if some goons seem to be confused by why a sex offender registry is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
If you never pay back your loans, you will be on a list titled "do not give this person a loan".

If you torture an animal to death, in many states you will be on a "do not adopt out an animal to this person".

In every state if you sexually abuse a child, you will be on a "watch your kids around this person" list.

This is not confusing.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

If they're not able to be rehabilitated why are they out on the street, though? Shouldn't they be in an institution? I think that's a valid question.

I don't know? Lock them up forever then. One or the other. Not neither

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Klyith posted:

Well if a pedo buys the house next to yours, as I see it you have two good options:

1) Sell your house. Of course you're gonna have to sell it for half the market value, cause you live next to a pedo. But that would still be enough to buy a trailer home or something. You won't be homeless, so that's fair right? Nobody's forcing you to move out of your home.

2) Murder the pedo in cold blood. Construct your defense around the idea that your child wasn't safe and you had to do it to protect them. You'll probably get jury sympathy and a light sentence, nobody likes a pedo. And when you get out, you can live wherever you want because hey there's no law against a murderer living near schools and parks!

Or 3) tell my kids never to go near them?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

your theoretical kids are vastly more likely to be molested by someone they know anyway.

Not if that person was on the sex offender registry.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

ah, i see now. you are clueless. most cases of child molestation in the us are done by a family member or family friend. they are frequently not reported, much less prosecuted.

the scary stranger with a van and candy makes for great tv ratings, though!

If the family member or friend was a registered sex offender I would not let my kid near them, no. Actually, I probably would not want much to do with them!

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
So is this thing where people who piss in public are on a list really a thing or is it just something people saw in Horrible Bosses and treat as fact or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I'd like to be a fly on the wall just to see the awkwardness of Thanksgiving/Christmas dinners when their daughter's husband and father of their grandchildren is the guy they had thrown in jail.

Oh, I'm guessing you didn't go to an American high school. Seniors dating freshman (most commonly freshman girl, senior guy) is super common and the same age spread that you're talking. We also currently have one seventh grader pregnant in our 7-12 building and the father is a high school kid. Not that I'm condoning this, but for you to say it's "weird as gently caress" is probably the funniest thing I've read on SA today. It was like that when I was in high school and is nothing new.

I'm being completely honest here: there was only one guy in my entire high school that was a senior dating a freshman and he was relentlessly made fun of for it.

A 17-18 year old dating a 14 year old is really loving creepy. That is not the same as a 37 year old dating a 33 year old.

• Locked thread