Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Article 1

Amendment A: Electoral College
4/6 Loel, RandomPaul, Cat_herder, Elmnt80

Amendment B: Voting Rights Act
2/6 QuoProQuid, Loel

Amendment C: Numbers of Congress
0/6

Amendment C2: Compact districts
6/6 Loel, RandomPaul, Cat_herder, Elmnt80, seiferguy, rafza

Amendment D: DC Statehood

Amendment D2: Puerto Rico Statehood

Amendment e1: Territories representation
0/6

Amendment e2: Territories representation
0/6

Amendment F: Native Representation
0/6

Amendment G: Citizens United

Proposal: Campaigning will be permitted three months prior to the election, and voting may begin two months prior. In this way, primaries would be six months before the general, with voting for the primary being 3-5 months prior to the general.

Proposal: After these changes take place at the next election, all federal appointee slots (judges et al) must be filled within 180 days of their vacancy. Should Congress fail to fill vacancies within 180 days, the executive branch reserves the right to fill vacancies in their stead. Clarification on some points will be written by RandomPaul
5/6 Loel, RandomPaul, Cat_herder, Elmnt80, rafza (seiferguy?)

Proposal: Voting shall be done via instant-run off method at all levels. (Schulze method)
3/6 Loel, RandomPaul, Cat_herder

Proposal: Copyrights and Patents shall enter the Public Domain 14 years after creation.
0/6

Loel fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Loel posted:

If they want to write long posts, why stop them?

Well, time is limited and not everyone wants to read a dozen provisions that may or may not still be relevant when a final document is written. You generally try to work efficiently so as to focus debate, avoid wasting the time of others, and address potential issues.

As always, I'm just an observer. The current proceedings just seem a bit helter-skelter to an outsider.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

QuoProQuid posted:

Well, time is limited and not everyone wants to read a dozen provisions that may or may not still be relevant when a final document is written. You generally try to work efficiently so as to focus debate, avoid wasting the time of others, and address potential issues.

As always, I'm just an observer. The current proceedings just seem a bit helter-skelter to an outsider.

Politics and sausage.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

QuoProQuid posted:

Are you all sure you want to be writing amendments about the minutia of congressional representation, the electoral college, and the presidency when you haven't agreed what institutions you want to retain?

OOC:
Well, the way it started was a few of us wanted similar things. I had been writing things up as general ideas along with notes to myself about how to argue the things. Then six of us agreed in principle to some things and OMG the OP agreed with Loel that this meant the constitutional amendments passed.

Except they hadn't actually been formally discussed in detail or written out beyond my working on draft proposals. So I went from writing stuff along the lines of "Okay, here's the language, here's how I'll try to spin things, blah blah" to "Okay, here's the language, I guess these are amendments now?"

So now I'm trying to pull stuff together ahead of any vote proper so it doesn't happen again. Unfortunately for the thread, I have virtually no background in crafting legislation or constitutional law. But having a jumping off point is better than nothing!

Edit: I hadn't even shared the contents of the infrastructure amendment before it passed!

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 8, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

RandomPauI posted:

OOC:
Well, the way it started was a few of us wanted similar things. I had been writing things up as general ideas along with notes to myself about how to argue the things. Then six of us agreed in principle to some things and OMG the OP agreed with Loel that this meant the constitutional amendments passed.

Except they hadn't actually been formally discussed in detail or written out beyond my working on draft proposals. So I went from writing stuff along the lines of "Okay, here's the language, here's how I'll try to spin things, blah blah" to "Okay, here's the language, I guess these are amendments now?"

So now I'm trying to pull stuff together ahead of any vote proper so it doesn't happen again. Unfortunately for the thread, I have virtually no background in crafting legislation or constitutional law. But having a jumping off point is better than nothing!

Edit: I hadn't even shared the contents of the infrastructure amendment before it passed!

And all of these are nominally related to Article 1 (legislature), so we're doing some of the horsetrading for next week.

People really like functioning roads for some reason :v:

Loel fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 8, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

You guys are making me want to have a legislative thread after the CC wraps up... :sigh:

I wish you would so that some of my fellow representatives would remember that we're not a loving Legislature and we have an agenda to follow stick to the loving agenda :argh:

(when did I become the principled obstructionist my god what is even happening)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I wish you would so that some of my fellow representatives would remember that we're not a loving Legislature and we have an agenda to follow stick to the loving agenda :argh:

Full constitutional powers and you want to limit yourself to an agenda?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Loel posted:

And all of these are nominally related to Article 1 (legislature), so we're doing some of the horsetrading for next week.

OOC: Not really. The OP says "here's the agenda" and you say "here are the votes on what we talk about" and I set about writing the amendments to make sure we actually have amendments to vote on.

I get a kick out of having so much power and influence. But this makes it less a PBP and more an exercise in Loel and Cat_herder telling me what they want and I ditch sticking to character in favor of working on the best amendment I could realistically hope for, mostly informed by whatever info I glean from wikipedia.

What's happening is we're on a wild ride!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

RandomPauI posted:

OOC: Not really. The OP says "here's the agenda" and you say "here are the votes on what we talk about" and I set about writing the amendments to make sure we actually have amendments to vote on.

Yes really, we know the OP is going to do Article 1 next. We're going in order.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Loel posted:

Full constitutional powers and you want to limit yourself to an agenda?

OOC: Uh, yes, because that was the scenario outlined in the OP which, presumably, we all read and agreed to when we signed up. If I sign up to a basketball league I don't show up arguing that I should be allowed to wear shoulder pads and tackle my opponents.

EDIT: I should note, it's perfectly in-character for constitutional convention delegates to start overreaching, I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying that, y'know, Doc Zeigler set out some rules, y'know?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

OOC: Uh, yes, because that was the scenario outlined in the OP which, presumably, we all read and agreed to when we signed up. If I sign up to a basketball league I don't show up arguing that I should be allowed to wear shoulder pads and tackle my opponents.

EDIT: I should note, it's perfectly in-character for constitutional convention delegates to start overreaching, I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying that, y'know, Doc Zeigler set out some rules, y'know?

As you have not chosen an image yet, I am reading all of your posts as weary William Petersen in Manhunter.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Trevor Hale posted:

As you have not chosen an image yet, I am reading all of your posts as weary William Petersen in Manhunter.

After a quick trip to YouTube, I find myself surprisingly okay with this.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Yup! Tis why Im holding to Article 1 and not going ahead to gun rights :D

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Loel posted:

Yup! Tis why Im holding to Article 1 and not going ahead to gun rights :D

Which didn't stop you from deciding "Hey we should be ratifying some treaties" and angling for an infrastructure stimulus - a thing that by all rights should be in the hands of the legislature - in a segment of the convention supposedly devoted to saying hello to each other and deciding on our priorities. I realize that everything is supposedly bigger in Texas but we still have a Speaker at this convention whose job it is to maintain order and decorum, and the fact that you've decided to abrogate that responsibility to yourself smacks of something very ugly. For crying out loud, we're still supposed to be working on the Preamble.

While I applaud the Texan delegate's zeal and engagement with the process, the Libertopian delegation would like to remind him that this isn't his show to run and perhaps he should take a deep, Texas-sized breath and calm down. Let's allow our esteemed Speaker to set the agenda, since that's their drat job and we all agreed to let them do it.

OOC: in other words, let's avoid this:

RandomPauI posted:

But this makes it less a PBP and more an exercise in Loel and Cat_herder telling me what they want and I ditch sticking to character in favor of working on the best amendment I could realistically hope for, mostly informed by whatever info I glean from wikipedia.
and leave room for the actual play, eh? Let the Doc run the show, IMHO, lest this project spiral out of their control to the point where the OP and/or the rest of us are no longer having fun and then what's the point of any of us being here?

Back to IC:

Having said that, we would like to once more remind our fellow delegates that there will, presumably, be a Legislature once this process is all said and done, and that many of our agenda items can and should be left to them - to the duly elected representatives of the American people. There is a reason that our Constitution tends to be light on specifics.

As an example, I would draw the convention's attention to the notion of criminal justice. This is an area of American law in sore need of reform, in the Libertopian delegation's opinion. However, we shall not be addressing that topic here directly. If the drafters of our original Constitution had enshrined the methodology of criminal justice at the time into the Constitution, then in 1805 when the Massachusetts State Prison was opened, they could not have done away with the punishments of whipping, branding, or use of the pillory - all things that had been legal and commonplace but which were disposed of at that time - without requiring a Constitutional amendment, and what are the odds, do you think, that such an amendment would have met with success? Vast swaths of our legal system are informed by but independent of the Constitution, and that is critically important, as altering the Constitution via amendment or convention should be rare. It took more than two centuries for this convention to be called; let us strive to ensure that we have created a document with enough flexibility and adaptability that another need not be called for a similar length of time.

I realize that it is tempting to abrogate further power to this convention, to say "oh but we can pass laws and directives and ratify treaties and then specifically note those as being not part of the Constitution itself," and we may be tempted to abuse that power. But I would speak to the principles of each of us to note that such power can and must be responsibly left in the hands of the Legislature that will come after us. If you want to pass these laws, if you want to ratify these treaties, then when the convention has ended, go run for Congress and do it there. It is given unto us to craft a document of principle, one that must endure long after the petty vagaries of the present day have passed. Look not only to the issues of today when considering your actions, but to the issues of tomorrow, and next week, and next month, and next year, and the next decade. None of us can know what those issues will be, so let us strive to build a Constitution that can aid and inform those that come after us rather than cuff their hands.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

(From back of the room) YEAH, STICK TO THE 'GENDA!!

We'll just be... we'll be outside here.

(Shuffles out chamber doors and back into hallway)

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 8, 2016

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Good news, everyone: rush hour on I-95 has finally died down, and we have about a two-hour window before it starts back up again at 6 AM. So without further ado, please welcome the delegation team from the Tidewater:

Senator Goodman

In many ways the quintessential Southern gentleman, Senator Goodman is nonetheless at his heart a compromise-builder, a peacemaker, and a genuinely nice guy. He's got the tricky job of leading this very split delegation, safeguarding the interests of the slowly-declining rural white populations of the Tidewater states while also ensuring the racially diverse urban dynamos at the heart of the region's economy are not sidelined. But if anyone can do it, Senator Goodman can, and he'll make you smile while he does it. Presents top-level policy, makes most speeches, and gladhands.

Congresswoman Debs

A rising star in the US Congress, Congresswoman Debs was chosen specifically to balance the "ticket" and represent the northern states and the resident population of DC in the Tidewater coalition. Her hard-hitting and confrontational style has won her quite a few enemies, and some have even suggested that the take-no-prisoners mayor of Baltimore in the hit HBO miniseries "The Cable" was based on her personality. That said, it has also won her a number of victories, particularly on issues of racial justice and immigrant rights, and those are her main areas of focus in this convention.

Elaine Hendricks

Mrs. Hendricks is a former constitutional lawyer, hard-hitting K-Street lobbyist-- and before you ask, no, her office isn't actually on K Street-- and the head of the influential centrist think tank, the Governance Institute. Her life has been one of power and success, and it's all down to her strict segregation between business and pleasure; that said, her husband is a defense contractor, so she has close personal ties to the military-industrial complex. While some on the left have chafed at her position within the Tidewater delegation, she represents established DC interests, and also advises on constitutional law and procedure.

Rear Admiral George Jennings, ret'd

AN ACCOMPLISHED NAVAL OFFICER, REAR ADMIRAL JENNINGS RETIRED SO HE COULD TAKE PART IN THIS DELEGATION, SOLDIER. NOBODY IS SURE WHY HE TALKS LIKE THIS SINCE HE WAS IN THE NAVY, NOT THE ARMY, BUT IT'S HARD TO ASK QUESTIONS LIKE THAT WHEN HE'S SIX INCHES FROM YOUR FACE AND BELLOWING. NONE OF YOU ARE GOING TO CUT DEFENSE ON HIS WATCH. HE DOESN'T CARE HOW YOU SPELL IT THOUGH.

Some Guy From Delaware(?)

We asked Delaware to send us someone and this is who they sent, we think. Nobody's really sure who he is. But he's a hell of a cool guy, you should hang out with him sometime. And have you seen his car? We're not even pissed about getting stuck on 95, his soundtrack rules. Even Mrs. Hendricks cracked a smile.

The delegation will be presenting responses to proposals over the next 24 hours, and thereafter suggesting proposals of its own.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

So, uh, as a concerned resident of Texas, I'd like to send up some concerns to the Tejas rep, Loel?

I'd like to ask that the separtion of church and state is kept as is, and urge my representative to vote against any measure that supports enshrining religious values into the Constitution. This country has freedom of religion as a right, and enshring any singular set of religious values into law runs counter to that. Also, being a member of a minority faith ends up being kind of difficult when you have a bunch of religious quack-jobs running around...

Additionally, I urge them to support environmental policies to help with the effects of climate change that are affecting Texas's coastal regions, and initiatives to commit to scientific research, escpecially in regards to space, and various educational facilities such as museums and zoos. We've been seeing Galveston being wrecked by climate change, and important parts of Texas such as NASA having their budget cut by opputunistic politicians. Having measures to prevent funding for these issues from being turned into political football wold be appreciated.

...And support for infrastructure and public transport would be nice, because Houston's roads kind of suck and trying to find parking in downtown is bullshit. :colbert:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

RandomPauI posted:

Amendment #G - Democracy For All Amendment. AKA Thank god someone already wrote a citizens united amendment.

SECTION 1. To advance democratic self-government and political equality for all, and to protect the integrity of government and the electoral process, Congress and the States may regulate and set limits on the raising and spending of money by candidates and others to influence elections.

SECTION 2. Congress and the States shall have power to implement this article by appropriate legislation, and may distinguish between natural persons and corporations or other artificial entities created by law, including by prohibiting such entities from spending money to influence elections.

SECTION 3. Nothing in this article shall be construed to grant Congress or the States the power to abridge the freedom of the press.

Sections 2 and 3 are a contradiction of terms since newspaper companies are artificial persons. Lest we forget that CU v. FEC overturned prohibitions on airing a documentary within 30 days of an election.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

New England Delegation
Sarah O'Malley, Civil Rights Lawyer from Boston, representative of the delegation

*wipes blood off chin*

Well alright! That was a real brawl! Let's get down to business. In order to represent the New England delegation best we have come to these 5 points we wish to address at this convention. We're still accepting requests from the people, because this is all for you, just tweet them with hashtag #NEdelegation2016 or join the live feed on Youtube!

1.First past the post voting Lets get rid of it. Combination of this and gerrymandering has lead to a country where people have to choose 1 of 2 parties, it's no choice at all. We propose an alternative system where the number of representatives remains the same but instead, they will consist of an approximate breakdown of the voter's choices for party representation, senate will remain as-is. We're also open to alternative options.

2.LGBT right New England has lead the country in LGBT rights. Massachusetts was the first state to allow same-sex marriage, and Vermont was the first to allow civil unions. Today, while same-sex marriage is allowed in all 50 states, many are not protected in their home or job because of who they love. We propose an amendment that would offer protections to those based on their sexual orientation or gender identity, same as any other hard working american citizen.

3.Vaccinations Vaccinations are becoming a heated debate in the US. Many are against it, but those ones put our children at risk. We propose an amendment requiring all citizens and permanent residents to be vaccinated according to standards set by congress.

4.The Second Amendment Every day we hear more about gun violence in this country and organizations like the NRA continue to stonewall our progress because the 2nd amendment guarantees their right to bear arms, through some vaguely worded sense of entitlement. If we wish to make progress on the violence in our country, we must revoke this amendment!

5.Preserving the Amendments Now, this may seem a paradoxical decision given point #4 but everyone is talking about what to add, but what should we protect? Most of the amendments in our constitute have protected us from several grievious mistakes of our ancestors and we want to make sure they are otherwise kept in place. It's not a glorious agenda but it's important nonetheless.

The floor is open to any citizen of New England who wishes to suggest improvements, or more pressing matters than the ones we have presented.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
The honorable delegate from New England has restored my (cautious) faith in her leadership. I am especially excited for the repeal of the barbaric second amendment. Guns are incompatible with civil society, and I will be expounding upon this position through my lobbying group as we proceed through appropriate order in the convention.

I had not considered vaccination as a convention topic but the merits to public health are undeniable and as a center of biotechnology certainly Boston will see a boon in that industry from adopting strict requirements. Though also I would hope that there would be some thought to how we might avoid abuse of this power a la Israel (ptoo) who forcibly sterilized unwanted migrant populations through a vaccination program.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I've updated a list of the issues facing this grave body, and am keeping it close to the vest until all the delegations have responded via email to npcdel@gmail.com.

Next week is Article I, which covers the legislative branch. This means congresscritters, voting/election changes and the actual scope of congress.

I'll also be offering the chance to ratify "Appendix A: Treaties" which will read with Loel's wording of 'the following treaties are ratified, nyah nyah' or whatever.

Your state needs you, now more than ever!

Also, be sure to log in to The Convention Calendar and update your vote for changing the letter c to the letter s in the preamble (on tab 3). It's important just so the nation can all see how voting will go.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

3.Vaccinations Vaccinations are becoming a heated debate in the US. Many are against it, but those ones put our children at risk. We propose an amendment requiring all citizens and permanent residents to be vaccinated according to standards set by congress.

4.The Second Amendment Every day we hear more about gun violence in this country and organizations like the NRA continue to stonewall our progress because the 2nd amendment guarantees their right to bear arms, through some vaguely worded sense of entitlement. If we wish to make progress on the violence in our country, we must revoke this amendment!

As to number three, I would be hesitant to let congress set the standards for what is essentially a health care program. They will not have the capacity to make proper judgement in such cases, it should be left to a government organization devoted to such matters, like the NIH, empowered by either congress or the constitution itself.

Number four, I'm not sure a total revocation of the second amendment is the way to go and it would certainly be unpopular. Perhaps a diminished scope with more controls in place over the type of weapons allowed, and with both background checks and mandatory educational classes with written and practical exams at the end in order to obtain a license for a firearm. This is similar to what already happens in New York State for hunting licenses, I had to attend a class (Saturday mornings for some number of weeks) and then pass a written exam and demonstrate skills with both a shotgun (skeet) and a rifle (target shooting) before I could get a license. As a hunter I enjoy getting to commune with nature (nap in the woods) and provide food for my family. The hunting program in NYS is also a key part of the state environmental management program, white tail deer are a big nuisance there as they eat crops and run in front of cars pretty frequently. The state issues hunting permits in order to help manage their population and removing all firearms would leave this task to the state proper, a great burden on taxpayer dollars when you could easily just have hunters take care of it, doing a service to the state at the same time that they provide food for themselves.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
(OOC: Re: Convention calander, I can view it but I can't add my vote)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

(Citizen Youtube video to representative of Dixie)

As a concerned citizin' o Georgia, y'hall can ger FHUCK yer gun-grabbin selves. Me an my WELL-RHEGULATED MILITIA (hic), we'll all march on Washengton and rout yeh pansy-rear end sickos outta the guvbermint. Yeh can't remove teh rights 'uf a well-reguleated militia teh arm themselfes.

We'll march once we get this month's disability check. Entitlements to once-productive membahs of society down on they luck is real gosh important.

Oh, and can ya keep the wellfare queens off mah gosh darmned paycheck? Charity through tax is a theft, it is.

Lastly, we needta oblige the states ter spend less on welfares and more ohn school. They governmennt got so much money, but they waste it all on bullshit. I want my kid to have a chance, ya hear? Listen I know it's not popular but some things'r worth spendin money if only it wer easier to fire bad teachers somehow. Billy heard about the birds and bees, Lord mercy.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 10, 2016

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sen. Early Cuyler (R as all hell - GA) has spoken. More entitlements, less welfare

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Senator Goodman - Tidewater

All right, folks, that's our paperwork in order! Now, while my staff sleeps off the near-fatal doses of coffee they've all been subsisting on for the past several days, here are the items the Tidewater delegation has proposed for the agenda moving forward:

First Item: For Article One, we've proposed the discussion of time limits on Presidential nominations by stipulating that the Senate shall provide its advice and consent; no more stonewalling appointments.

Elaine Hendricks

But we can't damage the authority of the Senate to provide that advice and consent, so we're suggesting that nominations which don't receive an up-or-down vote within ninety days are considered recess appointments. The Senate can just keep saying no if they want to, but they can't just stonewall.

Right. Second Item: We want to amend Article Two to ratify certain functions of the executive branch, such as environmental protection, as federal powers. We've been doing it that way for decades, but it's important to clarify whose responsibility it is. We're open to discussion on how best to accomplish this, naturally!

Congresswoman Debs

Third, our minority communities in particular are harmed by a malfunctioning judicial process, so we propose amending Article Three to ensure the reform of the judicial process. In particular, we want to abolish judicial elections throughout the nation; we're open to leaving in place a recall process, but too many judges have been elected thanks to promising to crack down on crime, which harms vulnerable communities like people of color above all else. We may also take this opportunity to forbid the criminalization of certain things.

Still Not Sure Who This Guy Is, But He Really Wanted To Talk And He's Super Cool

Fourth, do we really need all those states? Folks, we're gonna be talking about adding new states, and I think that's great, but we should also see if any of these states need to go. I personally think we don't need two Dakotas, for one.

Congresswoman Debs

And finally, we're going to be proposing a new Bill of Rights, using Franklin D. Roosevelt's proposed Second Bill of Rights as a model, but also including clean air and water and medical autonomy. Our poorest and most vulnerable communities most need the things FDR spoke about : employment, healthcare, education. But FDR also proposed farmer's rights to income; we propose to expand this to the industrial and agricultural workers living in places like the southern and western fringes of the Tidewater, and it may end up taking the form of a negative income tax.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Quorum posted:

First Item: For Article One, we've proposed the discussion of time limits on Presidential nominations by stipulating that the Senate shall provide its advice and consent; no more stonewalling appointments.
a good idea

quote:

Congresswoman Debs

And finally, we're going to be proposing a new Bill of Rights, using Franklin D. Roosevelt's proposed Second Bill of Rights as a model, but also including clean air and water and medical autonomy. Our poorest and most vulnerable communities most need the things FDR spoke about : employment, healthcare, education. But FDR also proposed farmer's rights to income; we propose to expand this to the industrial and agricultural workers living in places like the southern and western fringes of the Tidewater, and it may end up taking the form of a negative income tax.
this too
lot of good ideas in the Tidewater post imo

quote:

Still Not Sure Who This Guy Is, But He Really Wanted To Talk And He's Super Cool

Fourth, do we really need all those states? Folks, we're gonna be talking about adding new states, and I think that's great, but we should also see if any of these states need to go. I personally think we don't need two Dakotas, for one.
laffo

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Quorum you said you'd poo poo on SC by constitutional means! Why are you delaying?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

VanSandman posted:

Quorum you said you'd poo poo on SC by constitutional means! Why are you delaying?

What do you think that Diamond Joe's proposal would do? :unsmigghh:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

(OOC : Sorry, first week of the semester and I got completely slammed!
P.S. I am an idiot and Loel was kind enough to post the only picture I could have ever used.)

My fellow delegates, it's an honor to be here to represent my district of NYC and surrounding areas at this constitutional convention. As the representative of such a populous and diverse area, it is my hope that we can come together to forge a new and progressive constitution that will help both my own constituents as well as the broader US population in the decades to come.

My main platforms are :

1) Expand and strengthen infrastructure throughout the nation. An often unmentioned ideal, and necessary subset of a population's ability to pursue liberty and happiness is freedom of movement, as well as access to such basic necessities as clean water, food, electricity, etc. Therefore, it is important that in light of new technologies that have been created since the original Constitutional Convention, that we enshrine such basic organizations as the Department of Transport and the Department of Energy as vital and basic parts of the federal government that can't be defunded on the whims of callous, spend-thrift politicians.

2) A complete over-haul of the 2nd Amendment in light of changes in weapons technology that the Founding Fathers could not have foreseen. When the 2nd Amendment was written, the idea of compact, automatic, smokeless-powder firearms being publicly available not only would have been unfathomable, it would've been nightmarish. While reasonable gun ownership should always be allowed, it should be subject not only to registration and licensing similar to if not stronger than that for motor vehicles or other dangerous equipment, but also subject to constraints on what sort of firearms should be available to private citizens.

3) Expanding and locking in funding for public media services. News and entertainment services such as PBS and NPR are a vital part of both keeping our nation informed, but also for keeping us connected via heartwarming traditional programming ; programs like Mr. Roger's Neighborhood and Car Talk were national treasures loved by both sides of the aisle. But more importantly, for-profit journalism is an inherently unstable medium, especially going forward into the age of the internet, and news organizations beholden to the government are constrained by their purse-strings to not give the kind of hard-hitting investigative journalism required by an informed public and electorate. Thus, I propose that funding for such services be constitutionally guaranteed so that both government funded programming and investigative journalism is de facto politically neutral and maximally informative, as such governmental media services would not have to worry about their funding being cut for publishing true but damaging stories.

4) Universal rights, especially for the LGBTQ community. Several of my colleagues have already gone over this, but it is vitally important that we have constitutional support in place for the safety of the rights of all individuals regardless of sex, gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation. We should also reflect on our own rapidly changing culture to make sure that we are not merely updating what axes we fight discrimination on, but also keep it sufficiently free that we are accepting of other, future groups to be accepted in society and given those rights that are fundamental to all Americans.

5) Finally, while the specifics will be needed to be dealt with much later down the line by the legislature, I propose that we make sure that the Department of Education or a similar organization be explicitly part of the federal constitution in order to ensure that education, and the ability to pursue it, remain a fundamental part of of the rights of all citizens.

Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to discussing these and other issues with, you, my colleagues, over the coming weeks and months.

(OOC : I'm not the best non-technical writer and I'm still trying to find my "voice" for this dude, so sorry if that sucked to read. TL;DR 1) Infrastructure gently caress yes 2) Coming for your guns 3) Make a US Broadcasting Company 4) Universal rights 5) Education reform.)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

K, current ideas floating around for Article 1 include

Article 1

2/6 QuoProQuid, Loel

0/6

0/6

0/6

0/6

Proposal: Campaigning will be permitted three months prior to the election, and voting may begin two months prior. In this way, primaries would be six months before the general, with voting for the primary being 3-5 months prior to the general.

Proposal: After these changes take place at the next election, all federal appointee slots (judges et al) must be filled within 180 days of their vacancy. Should Congress fail to fill vacancies within 180 days, the executive branch reserves the right to fill vacancies in their stead. Clarification on some points will be written by RandomPaul
5/6 Loel, RandomPaul, Cat_herder, Elmnt80, rafza (seiferguy?)

Proposal: Voting shall be done via instant-run off method at all levels. (Schulze method)

Proposal: Copyrights and Patents shall enter the Public Domain 14 years after creation.
0/6

Now that we have more people introduced, we can maybe get some votes on the last couple :D

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Welcome all delegates to week 2 of the constitutional convention. The motion to amend the preamble to update to modern conventions of spelling has carried, with the next phase being the re-writing of Article I, the section on Legislative duties and elections. After the delegates making their wishes known, I've presented a version here that addresses many of the delegate's wishes related to updating this document. Changes are in BOLD, or struck where they are no longer applicable. The 16th, 17th, and portions of the 20th and 27th amendments have been included, making their appearance later in the document unnecessary.

:11tea: for those of you eager to ban guns or institute universal health care and equal rights, I promise that is coming. This whole "what is a Constitutional Convention" is super-interesting, and I'm guessing that they'd give a quick first-pass over the original document before moving on to new amendments.

Without further ado,

:siren: Article I :siren:
  • Section 1.

All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States, which shall consist of a Senate and House of Representatives.

• Section 2.

The House of Representatives shall be composed of Members chosen every secondfourth Year by the People of the several States, and the Electors in each State shall have the Qualifications requisite for Electors of the most numerous Branch of the State Legislature.

No Person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the Age of twenty five Years, and been seven Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State in which he shall be chosen.

Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years., and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons. The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the next Meeting of the Congress of the United States after the ratification of this document, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct. Each state shall have at least 1 representative, and the least-populous state shall be the baseline by which the number of representatives be apportioned.The Number of Representatives shall not exceed one for every thirty Thousand, but each State shall have at Least one Representative; and until such enumeration shall be made, the State of New Hampshire shall be entitled to chuse three, Massachusetts eight, Rhode-Island and Providence Plantations one, Connecticut five, New-York six, New Jersey four, Pennsylvania eight, Delaware one, Maryland six, Virginia ten, North Carolina five, South Carolina five, and Georgia three.

When vacancies happen in the Representation from any State, the Executive Authority thereof shall issue Writs of Election to fill such Vacancies.

The House of Representatives shall chuoose their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.

• Section 3.

The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, elected by the people thereof, for six years; and each Senator shall have one vote. The electors in each State shall have the qualifications requisite for electors of the most numerous branch of the State legislatures.(this is the 17th amendment)

Immediately after they shall be assembled in Consequence of the next Election, they shall be divided as equally as may be into three Classes. The Seats of the Senators of the first Class shall be vacated at the Expiration of the second Year, of the second Class at the Expiration of the fourth Year, and of the third Class at the Expiration of the sixth Year, so that one third may be chosen every second Year; and when vacancies happen in the representation of any State in the Senate, the executive authority of such State shall issue writs of election to fill such vacancies: Provided, That the legislature of any State may empower the executive thereof to make temporary appointments until the people fill the vacancies by election as the legislature may direct.

No Person shall be a Senator who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty Years, and been nine Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State for which he shall be chosen.

The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be equally divided. Until such time as his death, Joseph Robinette "Joe" Biden Jr. shall serve as President of the Senate.

The Senate shall chuoose their other Officers, and also a President pro tempore, in the Absence of the Vice President, or when he shall exercise the Office of President of the United States.

The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

• Section 4.

The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chuoosing Senators.

The Congress shall assemble at least once in every Year, and such Meeting shall be on the first Monday in December, unless they shall by Law appoint a different Day.

• Section. 5.

Each House shall be the Judge of the Elections, Returns and Qualifications of its own Members, and a Majority of each shall constitute a Quorum to do Business; but a smaller Number may adjourn from day to day, and may be authorized to compel the Attendance of absent Members, in such Manner, and under such Penalties as each House may provide.

Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behaviour, and, with the Concurrence of two thirds, expel a Member.

Each House shall keep a Journal of its Proceedings, and from time to time publish the same, excepting such Parts as may in their Judgment require Secrecy; and the Yeas and Nays of the Members of either House on any question shall, at the Desire of one fifth of those Present, be entered on the Journal.

Neither House, during the Session of Congress, shall, without the Consent of the other, adjourn for more than three days, nor to any other Place than that in which the two Houses shall be sitting.

• Section. 6.

The Senators and Representatives shall receive a Compensation for their Services, to be ascertained by Law, and paid out of the Treasury of the United States. They shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their Attendance at the Session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same; and for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place.

No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of Representatives shall have intervened.

No Senator or Representative shall, during the Time for which he was elected, be appointed to any civil Office under the Authority of the United States, which shall have been created, or the Emoluments whereof shall have been increased during such time; and no Person holding any Office under the United States, shall be a Member of either House during his Continuance in Office.

• Section. 7.

All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills.

Every Bill which shall have passed the House of Representatives and the Senate, shall, before it become a Law, be presented to the President of the United States; If they approve they shall sign it, but if not they shall return it, with their Objections to that House in which it shall have originated, who shall enter the Objections at large on their Journal, and proceed to reconsider it. If after such Reconsideration two thirds of that House shall agree to pass the Bill, it shall be sent, together with the Objections, to the other House, by which it shall likewise be reconsidered, and if approved by two thirds of that House, it shall become a Law. But in all such Cases the Votes of both Houses shall be determined by yeas and Nays, and the Names of the Persons voting for and against the Bill shall be entered on the Journal of each House respectively. If any Bill shall not be returned by the President within ten Days (Sundays excepted) after it shall have been presented to them, the Same shall be a Law, in like Manner as if they had signed it, unless the Congress by their Adjournment prevent its Return, in which Case it shall not be a Law.

Every Order, Resolution, or Vote to which the Concurrence of the Senate and House of Representatives may be necessary (except on a question of Adjournment) shall be presented to the President of the United States; and before the Same shall take Effect, shall be approved by them, or being disapproved by them, shall be repassed by two thirds of the Senate and House of Representatives, according to the Rules and Limitations prescribed in the Case of a Bill.

• Section. 8.

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defense and general Welfare of the United States; without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.(this is the 16th amendment)

To borrow Money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;

To establish Post Offices and post Roads;

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;

To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offences against the Law of Nations;

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

To provide and maintain a Navy;

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;—And

To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

• Section. 9.

The Migration or Importation of such Persons as any of the States now existing shall think proper to admit, shall not be prohibited by the Congress prior to the Year one thousand eight hundred and eight, but a Tax or duty may be imposed on such Importation, not exceeding ten dollars for each Person.(the 13th amendment ended slavery, as such, this archaic and shameful clause shall be removed)

The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.

No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.

No Capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid. unless in Proportion to the Census or enumeration herein before directed to be taken.

No Tax or Duty shall be laid on Articles exported from any State.

No Preference shall be given by any Regulation of Commerce or Revenue to the Ports of one State over those of another: nor shall Vessels bound to, or from, one State, be obliged to enter, clear, or pay Duties in another.

No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of the Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time.

No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.

• Section. 10.

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

No State shall, without the Consent of the Congress, lay any Imposts or Duties on Imports or Exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it's inspection Laws: and the net Produce of all Duties and Imposts, laid by any State on Imports or Exports, shall be for the Use of the Treasury of the United States; and all such Laws shall be subject to the Revision and Control of the Congress.

No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.

I'm not sure if stuff like UHC and Infrastructure as a right belong in Section 8 here, or as their own amendment. Feel free to argue over their inclusion. Sometime around Wednesday, I'll throw up the whole text as an up-down vote. If it is not ratified, the original 1789 text shall be adopted in full, no changes, including the :10bux: a head slave tax that is really fuckin' shameful, so let's make sure we don't do that, yeah?

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 17, 2016

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just as an additional heads-up, the distinguished gentleman from St. Louis, representing the Midlands, has advised this gentleman that he wishes to adopt the original text, "as the founding fathers perfected it," in its entirety with no changes other than typographical.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
OOC: Request for clarification. What is the current makeup of the senate? 50/50 split?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

OOC: Request for clarification. What is the current makeup of the senate? 50/50 split?

OOC: assume current split and trends (ie, likely to swing back to D control soon)

Also, note that the presidential appointments and "no congressional stonewalling" stuff goes in Article II, under president-y stuff.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

K, so that leaves us

2/6 QuoProQuid, Loel

0/6

0/6

0/6

0/6

Proposal 1: Voting shall be done via instant-run off method at all levels. (Schulze method)

Proposal 2: Copyrights and Patents shall enter the Public Domain 14 years after creation.
0/6

Yes?

Loel fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 12, 2016

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Amendment B: sure
Amendment C: I forget what this was? was this one the 1:100k, 1:500k, or what?
Amendment(s) E: referendums for everyone :toot:
Amendment F: refresh my memory? (I think this was was good too but I want to be sure)
Proposal 2: this will massively help drug prices, so yes pls.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

3/6 QuoProQuid, Loel, Cat_herder

0/6

1/6 cat_herder

1/6 cat_herder

0/6

Proposal 1: Voting shall be done via instant-run off method at all levels. (Schulze method)

Proposal 2: Copyrights and Patents shall enter the Public Domain 14 years after creation.
2/6 cat_herder, loel

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Concerned Nerd from Georgia:

Can we clarify privacy and digital identity? That signals coming in and out of a house require a publicly-auditable warrant to monitor?

Perhaps Right to be Forgotten like the citizens of the EU enjoy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Potato Salad posted:

Concerned Nerd from Georgia:

Can we clarify privacy and digital identity? That signals coming in and out of a house require a publicly-auditable warrant to monitor?

Perhaps Right to be Forgotten like the citizens of the EU enjoy?

It is the position of Texas to be open to both Icelandic Modern Media Initiative and the EU privacy rights.

• Locked thread